Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Black tie wedding

13»

Re: Black tie wedding

• Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I wonder if the Muppet Overlord would bring me as his +1.  
    Do you enjoy chocolate flies?
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    @rachel-Elise, can I ask why you want black tie?
    The event that we are planning is technically black tie anyway, so we have been playing with the idea of whether to make it "officially" black tie or not. That's all. 

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few discrepancies between the way I was brought up, and the "new" way of doing things--which I now have to consider, as, IF we end up making it officially black-tie, I need to know what those not from my family circle will consider black-tie to be. 

All in all, we just want a nice wedding, black tie or not. 
    I can't say I know how black tie differs from Europe to the US and I'd be concerned with an international guest list others will be equally confused. It may be easier for you to plan your wedding in the style of a black tie event, but allow guests to wear what they deem appropriate. That way no one will feel uncomfortable if they misunderstand how black tie dress is executed in your wedding country. You can still have a very upscale and gorgeous event..
    Thank you. You know what? That makes more sense. :) 
  • Options
    MuppetFan said:
    AddieL73 said:
    I could learn to love them if it would get me a date and an invitation to fancy parties. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Oh- such a good (very silly) movie! Worth a couple hours on the couch on a rainy day.
  • Options
    Ha! If we're going to be throwing around accusations of not reading real good I think there's more than one of us ready to enroll in the Derek Zoolander School
    I almost spit out my cookie reading this.  Lol!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Many many brain cells would die- but they would be doing so happily! It is a silly movie, but with a heart :)
  • Options
    I tried to watch that movie once. It didn't work out. 
  • Options
    I'm kind of confused because you keep asking questions about the "American" way of thinking like you weren't brought up in America?
  • Options
    Under normal circumstances, I'd be happy to explain, but I have reason to believe that, if I give more personal information here, pertaining to my upbringing, I will be personally attacked for many unreasonable things, as well as untrue assumptions. In this case, LMC, I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully decline giving the information. I hope you understand.  

Anyway, I got the answers I was looking for. Thank you to all who gave relevant advice or answers. The rest of you, carry on having fun, or whatever it is that you're doing. I'm going to bed. Goodnight! 
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    MuppetFan said:
    AddieL73 said:
    I could learn to love them if it would get me a date and an invitation to fancy parties. 

Then yes, you would be a suitable companion.

@retreadbride Aside from it being a quote... Denmark is a state...as is Canada and the US and Argentina... It's just not one of the United States.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Under normal circumstances, I'd be happy to explain, but I have reason to believe that, if I give more personal information here, pertaining to my upbringing, I will be personally attacked for many unreasonable things, as well as untrue assumptions. In this case, LMC, I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully decline giving the information. I hope you understand.  

Anyway, I got the answers I was looking for. Thank you to all who gave relevant advice or answers. The rest of you, carry on having fun, or whatever it is that you're doing. I'm going to bed. Goodnight! 
    Ok. I think it would've been helpful to explain to people why you feel like you don't know.  From your other posts, you were raised in Michigan.  It could have been as simple as "I've never been to a party that my family didn't throw and they're both from X and X European countries, so I wasn't sure if it would be different."  But whatever you choose! Good luck. 
  • Options
    So you decided to go with black tie? Or did you choose another title? I am curious. 
  • Options
    1. I brought up the way that I was brought up, not actual family connections. Those are none of this board's business.

2. The basics are NOT foreign to me AT ALL. I was merely asking for guidance on the AMERICAN way of doing such things. They are clearly different

3. I am quite familiar with party planners. I have no idea where you got the impression that I'm not. I simply CHOSE to not have one, for reasons of my own that, again, are none of your business. 

In the end, this is not a productive conversation for either of us, other than that, for some reason, you apparently seem to think it's fun to provoke people. Too bad. 

The event that we are planning is technically black tie anyway, so we have been playing with the idea of whether to make it "officially" black tie or not. That's all. 

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few discrepancies between the way I was brought up, and the "new" way of doing things--which I now have to consider, as, IF we end up making it officially black-tie, I need to know what those not from my family circle will consider black-tie to be. 

All in all, we just want a nice wedding, black tie or not. 
    I'm confused. . . I thought the criteria for black tie was universal? 

What are the differences between the American/New way and the way you were brought up?  Maybe the German traditions are a bit different?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I am truly having a Black Tie wedding! I also think it depends how formal an event you want to make it and where in the country you live is how people think of the event. I live in NY and have been to many Black tie affairs. My family is Jewish and many of the bar and bat Mitzvahs have been Black Tie gowns for women and tux for the men. This is now included in many of the cousins who have gotten married. I will be getting Married October 19, 2013. Some of my friends I know will be annoyed at the added expense of a tux but some have already expressed they like to get a little more formal it's not everyday. Yes the invitation should say Black Tie right hand corner. T the original poster, if you need any more advise or after my event pictures feel free to PM. GL!
  • Options
    @Misha9  It's not a good idea to post your email on the board.  You should send it in a PM.  I would recommend you remove it from your post now. 
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    White ties is really reserved for state dinners and debutante balls.  I've never seen it worn otherwise.
  • Options
    ScrubGirl83ScrubGirl83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2013

Rachel-Elise do you want a black tie or white tie wedding? And if you're from America and your parents have done black tie events your whole life, what are you confused about? I'm really not trying to be snarky and I apologize if I come off that way. I am just confused by what you are confused about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    BritLadyBritLady member
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I know this is an older thread, and I am also aware that this is my first post, but due to having lived in Austria for many years as a child, teenager and young adult, I think I am uniquely qualified to add some insights. I am British by birth, descended from landed gentry, minor aristocrats mixed with the odd horse thief, buccaneer, and at least one highwayman who was supposedly strung up near a well-travelled road by his rivals, and have attended my fair share of white tie and black tie events on three continents. Oh, and I also lived in the US for a a few years. How's that for credentials?

@PrettyGirlLost asked: "What are the differences between the American/New way and the way you were brought up?  Maybe the German traditions are a bit different?"

Whilst I cannot speak to Miss Rachel-Elise's upbringing, I can address white/black tie conventions in continental Europe, the UK and the US. The fact is that there are very few differences, and they boil down to lapel and collar preferences, patent leather shoes versus smooth polished leather, and the braid on the trousers. In the UK and Europe, tailcoat trousers usually have two stripes of braid versus one in the US, and dinner dress trousers only have one everywhere. In the UK, we prefer waistcoats for black tie, whereas Europe and the US seem to prefer cummerbunds.

Tailcoats and dinner jackets, as we call them in Old Blighty, are evening clothes and are only meant to be worn after sunset or 6 o'clock. In some European countries that rule may be stretched a bit, and you may see black tie at 5 or 5:30. In Europe, ball season is during the winter months (December through the beginning of Lent), and in those months it typically gets dark around 4 o'clock, with your typical ball starting at 9 pm and lasting into the wee hours of the morning by which time it will still be dark. Even if you have dinner before, and leave your house at 5 in the afternoon, the sun will have already set. In the UK, London season is in the summer, but events also start late, so we're once again covered by the 6 o'clock rule.

For those interested in a more detailed German cultural perspective, allow me to present you the Austrian Ball Guide's English-language edition: http://www.ballguide.at/dresscode-ball/english

It is considered a faux-pas to wear evening dress during the daytime in Germany, Austria, France, and the UK. The German-speaking countries have a quaint jacket called Stresemann, named after a Weimar Republic politician, that is the semi-formal daytime version of the dinner jacket. It's called a stroller in the US and Canada and is rarely seen today. It never really caught on in the UK, where it's known as black lounge, probably because it was popularised by a German.

In short, the same rules that apply here in the US also apply in central Europe and definitely in the UK.

• Options
    Ok weirdness of bumping this thread aside, I'm really glad someone did because it helps prove the statement that banned users content immediately gets deleted.  DELETE MY OLD IDENTIFYING SHIT, TK.
  • Options
    Historically, I've read that white-tie is the most formal option for men and usually it has been worn at balls, which believe it or not, were truly evening, starting at 9:00 PM. They also wore white to the the opera and the theatre.  Women wore ball gowns, gloves, you name it, at white tie events.  Black is less formal in that regard. 
  • Options
    This is a Vampire thread.  Leave it alone.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards