Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Guest etiquette

Re: Guest etiquette

• Options
    wamboy said:

@banana468 Yes broads, it is actually a derogatory term for opinionated women with nothing to actually say.  Yes chicks, because they cluck like hens, with nothing to say.

You have yet to prove this as an established social rule and on what basis.  Just because you say it is doesn't make it so.

Explain how I am talking out of both sides of my mouth?  If our wedding is a theme and we are encouraging people to wear a certain attire, not everyone will, but I have one family member who tends toward being unruly and not wanting to behave I have no issue with saying directly to them, please don't wear this it isn't appropriate to this event.  I think it's stupid I have to tell a grown man that a kilt and motorcycle boots and a hawaiian shirt aren't appropriate attire to ANYONE'S wedding.
    I believe the bolded was a violation of a TOS none of us resorted to name calling just merely pointed out where you were breaking ettiquet and again you can disagree all you want but that doesn't make you right. You are the one treating your uncle like a child and being condescending. There is nothing wrong with themes but there is something wrong with dictating to your guests what to wear. Again your wedding will not be ruined if people choose what they feel is appropriate.
  • Options
    Also I may add that out of the ladies here I'm pretty lax when it comes to friends ettiquet violations unless it is something that is blatantly rude and bridezilla-esque to the people you are supposed to love and are supposed to be there for you.
  • Options
    telling people how to dress is much more Victorian than giving your guests freedom to be themselves.
  • Options
    wamboy said:
    @HisGirlFriday13 Here is post from your Miss Manners and she does not say setting a dress code is rude, only asking people to match a color theme, which we are not doing.
    Read everything before your speak, lesson learned I hope.
    Where exactly does Miss Manners say here that setting a dress code is not rude?  Oh right, she doesn't.  
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    No, we just gave up arguing with a troll who wants to be rude. You want to be rude, we get it.

You have a tenuous grasp of etiquette, and a clear inability to read or reason.

I work in politics. I get enough frustration in my day job.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I vote that we stop feeding into the silliness! Pure and simple if someone invited you to an event and then made some reduculous demand on dress where you had to go out and spend money you wouldn't have normally spent on an outfit you'd probubly never wear again and aren't even bridal party, you mean to tell me you wouldn't find it offensive???
  • Options
    wamboy said:
    @NYCBruin She doesn't say it is either!  Just because she doesn't say its not rude doesn't make it rude.  You can't have it both ways.  Either its rude because she says it is, or its not rude because she says its not.  You can't have it be rude because she says it and because she doesn't say it.  What she does say is that its rude to ask people to dress in specific colors.  Nothing about the dress code and there are FAR more acceptable dress codes than saying nothing or only white or black tie.
    So just to be clear, your argument is that because in ONE column written by Miss Manners that did not ask whether specifying a dress code on an invitation is rude that she must think that specifying a dress code is not rude?

If you really think that's an actual argument, then I don't know why I'm wasting my time attempting to reason with you.
  • Options
    wamboy said:
    @NYCBruin Not what I said I actually posted 3 other columns.  Read, digest, think, then speak.  Usually works out best for people that way.
    Nice attempt at deflecting, but others have explained why those sources are rubbish.  And you didn't answer my question regarding your argument relating to Miss Manners.
  • Options
    bethangel2332bethangel2332 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    As someone who has swallowed her foot here on the boards before, I must admit telling anyone how to dress for a wedding that is not black tie or white tie is rude! I have learned may things while lurking on these boards that I should have done more of.

I have grown to trust the many ladies on this site to not only give honest(and blunt) answers, no one will try and lead you down the wrong path.

I have a lighthouse themed wedding, do I want my guest to show up dressed as keepers, no although I would laugh and make sure I get a good framed photo. If people come in more of a summery dress or stained jeans I wouldn't care. I love the people I'm inviting and some of those people hate to wear anything dressy.

I on the other hand as a LARPer, I'm used to wearing period clothing to pj's and pigtails. What matters to me is making sure my guest have fun, have good food, and company!!

PS I would love it if any of my Scottish family or Irish friends would show up in formal kilt wear as the only thing better in my opinion is a man in uniform!! 

Edit: As my brain is tired and typing is beyond me at this point.
  • Options
    cruffino said:

I love how @wamboy doesn't want her uncle to wear a kilt but she's encouraging bolo ties. What a gem.

I am most intrigued by how "cowboy boots" are appropriate attire, yet a utlikilt is not. Both are work wear, made to endure physical labor, no?

Anniversary
  • Options
    wamboy said:
    @lnkdancer OMG I posted that genius!  And read it carefully, she is talking about asking people to wear specific colors ... Jesus where did you people get your reading comprehension skills.  We are not asking people to do that ... my 5 year old niece would comprehend faster than this. "COLOR THEME"  "COLOR THEME" "COLOR THEME" must be in that posting that I posted half a dozen times.  Christ!
    I'm sorry, but how on earth is telling people to dress a certain way to match your "theme" not treating them like props?  Asking people to wear a specific color is no different than asking them to dress in a particular style.
  • Options
    wamboy said:

@Amyzen83 Our request does not require a single person to buy a single new thing.  Read slowly ... "Our wedding has a rustic theme.  We encourage the following type of dress: jeans, button down shirts, day dresses. Bolo ties, cowboy boots, cowboy hats, and sport coats optional."  You think a single person doesn't own a pair of jean a button down shirt or a day dress?! Be reasonable

Wait, I thought the problem with the kilt was that it was too informal. But jeans are ok?
  • Options
    bethangel2332bethangel2332 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2014
    wamboy said: @bethangel2332 OMG, no one in my family is Scottish or Irish! We are German and Native American for God's sake!  If my uncle would do the formal kilt I would be fine with it, but he won't ... so no!  While you may trust others opinions as fact and on face value I don't.  Show me proof, if you can't, it's an opinion.  That is all!  Additionally, there are a wide variety of acceptable dress codes other than black or white tie, who told you people those were the only two dress codes?! And why the hell would you take someone's word for it without checking it out yourself?!  Geez! I never said I never check it out, many ladies on here provider multiple sites, links, and I also did my own searches. Like many have pointed out there is no such thing as black tie optional. It is or isn't and many folks have been trapped by this. On a wedding web site many people will list a "suggested" option for guests. Invites are another hint as to how formal a wedding will be, and again as previously stated if you venue has limitations on dress code or a church. 

I myself have been to weddings that said it was formal got dressed up and shown up everyone is in jeans. Okay I will give your uncle is not Irish or Scottish fine, but if you feel that uncomfortable with him why invite him? Again I will have guests that will show up in ripped jeans, stained shirts, and other garb. I won't care, will some drink more then they should and get rowdy you bet. Half my family have no filter when they speak, same with FI family. I have to love them for who they are not what they wear for a "themed" wedding or not.

Edit: Again brain has checked out for the night.
  • Options
    OP I say wear the kilt. It unacceptable to try and set a dress code for a wedding or any party. Adults are not props or school kids, they can wear what they want. Honestly if I got a wedding invite that had a dress code I either wouldn't go or I'd wear the exact opposite of the dress code. Invite says to wear pastels? I'd wear black.
  • Options
    wamboy said:
    @cruffino Are you dimwitted? Stupid? Ignorant? Just an asshole? God I feel sorry for the people in your life, my dog is smarter than this.
    KnotPorscha there is some major TOC violating up in here!
  • Options
    wamboy not one of us called you a single name although I've been majorly biting my tongue to prevent myself from saying something, but you are the one twisting around what Miss Manners has been writing and you are now resorting to immature name calling! TWICE! You have even admitted that you meant to be derogatory! That just will not fly here! You can go back to Wedding Bee or WeddingWire which ever bridge you happen to live under.
  • Options
    @wamboy I would love for you to name one actual church that has a dress code. I dare you. I study religion for a living and it is pretty universal that churches will accept anyone as is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards