Wedding Etiquette Forum

When 'It's My Wedding' is acceptable

edited April 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Based on the behemoth of a thread below, we clearly need to start a thread, and then have it made into a sticky, that details when it is acceptable to use the expression, 'It's MY Wedding' to win an argument.

ETA: Edited to include @Jells2dot0's excellent suggestion that many of these apply ONLY when you and your FI are paying for your wedding yourselves; if other people are paying, you do not get to use 'It's MY Wedding' to win arguments on things that involve money -- i.e., regardless of who is paying, you get to choose your attendants, but if your parents are paying, they get a say in the flowers.

(N.B. -- In all instances going forward, 'my' should be read in the plural, because of course the FI gets a say, too)

1. It's my wedding...so I get to choose the religious (or lack thereof) ceremony
2. It's my wedding...so I get to choose the colours of the palette we use
3. It's my wedding...so I get to have the foods I like at the reception, even if that means roasted turkey in July
4. It's my wedding...so I get to choose my bridal attendants.
5. It's my wedding...so I get to choose the centrepieces and I happen to love upcycled, mis-matched glass vases filled with coloured stones and different flowers in our colours.

And GO!
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: When 'It's My Wedding' is acceptable

• it's my wedding........so I can have a cash bar and money dance!

Shoot, I'm a day late for April Fools!!!

• kaos16 said:

it's my wedding........so I can have a cash bar and money dance!

Shoot, I'm a day late for April Fools!!!

Phew *wipes forehead* you had me worried for a second haha
  • It's my wedding... so I get to choose the location.

FI's family suggested doing it in his hometown... would have been cheaper but it's 6 hours away from where my family is so we chose a halfway point for both families (which means almost all of our guests are OOT, unfortunately. We do get to get married at the same place we got engaged though!)

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• It's MY wedding....so I have absolute say, without consideration to anyone else's preferences, for anything/everything that does not affect how I host my guests, such as:

- Wedding colors
    - My dress
    - Traditions we want or don't want to incorporate (bouquet/garter toss)
    - Inclusion or exclusion of religion
    - Amount/type of decorations
  • It's MY wedding ... so I don't have to invite that extended my family member I haven't seen since I was 3.

It's MY wedding ... so I don't have to do a money dance, even if it is "family tradition"
    Anniversary
  • IT'S MY PARTY AND I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO!

CRY IF I WANT TO!

I really couldn't resist.  Carry on!

It's my wedding.... so if I don't want to make my bridesmaids wear matching dresses, they won't wear matching dresses, and the pictures won't look tacky. 

• lookame3639lookame3639 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    It's my wedding so I can not invite FI sister (who physically assaulted me) if i don't want to.

It's my wedding so I can choose to go to dinner instead of having a fancy reception(still hosted by us of coarse)

it's my wedding so I can have it at a destination about an hour and a half away if i want

it's my wedding and I'll have a brooch bouquet and no flowers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards