• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Snarky Brides

You know the whole "no one cares as much about your wedding as you do"....

2

Re: You know the whole "no one cares as much about your wedding as you do"....

  • sassyfrass2014sassyfrass2014 ATLien member
    100 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    Meh, I think they're pretty AWish if it's its own party. If a sex-reveal is done at a baby shower with your loved ones there already (like when they cut the cake) then I think it's pretty cute! 

    It's definitely not necessary. It's totally fine not to know and do a gender neutral nursery. The doctors didn't even know if I were a boy or a girl until two days before I was born (my legs were crossed in-utero.)

    image

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    chibiyuigrumbledore
  • pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 Oregon member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary First Answer
    I think my cousin handled the gender reveal perfectly. They invited both sets of grandparents-to-be over for a small "party" of six people, because both sets of grandparents were over the moon about getting a grandchild. They had little cupcakes for the grandparents and it was sweet and simple. It was perfect for the people who were over the moon without being AWish. The only reason I know is because my aunt was so excited to get another granddaughter (first from that son) she called all her siblings (=my parents). It was sweet.

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image
    jenna8984cupcait927luckysnorkelkitty8403
  • I understand if it's just family. Or my friend did a gender reveal just to her sons. They opened a box that had blue streamers in it and were so excited they were having another brother. That was cute.
  • cupcait927cupcait927 Western NY wine country member
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    @blueeyes90 now that is just perfect! I even kind of want to copy it some day when I have kids.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    pinkshorts27
  • I'm anti-gender reveal but I also hate showers. It's not that I don't think people should get presents. I'm all for giving presents, as long as I don't have to sit there and watch people open them! The only times I want to watch people open presents are Christmas and children's birthday parties. And sometime between ages 10 and 12, I think children's birthday parties for extended family should end.

    I'm pro-graduation party, especially college, since it's a big achievement. I'm also "pro" big celebratory anniversary (25, 40, 50 years married), milestone birthdays (although I don't want one for myself), and well, I think that's it.

    I think gender reveals are tacky, as are engagement parties and adults who expect big birthday celebrations every year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    jenna8984SKPMgrumbledoreweddingmcgee
  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    cms519 said:
    I'm anti-gender reveal but I also hate showers. It's not that I don't think people should get presents. I'm all for giving presents, as long as I don't have to sit there and watch people open them! The only times I want to watch people open presents are Christmas and children's birthday parties. And sometime between ages 10 and 12, I think children's birthday parties for extended family should end.

    I'm pro-graduation party, especially college, since it's a big achievement. I'm also "pro" big celebratory anniversary (25, 40, 50 years married), milestone birthdays (although I don't want one for myself), and well, I think that's it.

    I think gender reveals are tacky, as are engagement parties and adults who expect big birthday celebrations every year.
    This all the way around. You didn't achieve much by turning 32, and that doesn't necessarily warrant a huge celebration. Graduations, first kids, and new jobs are things I want to party for!

    Although I do sort of like engagement parties. It's nice if they are low-key, and then you can congratulate the couple on their happiness without needing to give gifts like you would at a shower.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    Marzipan13
  • Niccirf said:
    Apparently I'm easy. I like any party/celebration/shower/gathering/BBQ/fiesta/shindig that has a mimosa &/or bloody mary bar and cake. I could care less if it's blue, pink or rainbow...just share the sugar and keep the cocktails flowing, please. 
    Maybe my problem is that I don't eat cake!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    SmileDamnit
  • jenna8984jenna8984 clam bakes & patriots member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    cms519 said:
    Niccirf said:
    Apparently I'm easy. I like any party/celebration/shower/gathering/BBQ/fiesta/shindig that has a mimosa &/or bloody mary bar and cake. I could care less if it's blue, pink or rainbow...just share the sugar and keep the cocktails flowing, please. 
    Maybe my problem is that I don't eat cake!
    hahahah Same here!! I find all showers and get together BOOOORING. I don't know if it's my lack of cake enjoyment, my soberness (6 years) or just that people I know have boring parties lol

                                                                     

    image

    [Deleted User]SmileDamnit
  • thisismynickname2thisismynickname2 City By The Lake member
    5000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    I agree that plenty of people enjoy any reason to celebrate life's many joys. Although I hate bridal showers, I adore baby showers as it's **usually** the one party to celebrate the mom and arrival of a child. All that being said!! Those who have Gender Reveal Parties are usually the same people who have multiple baby showers, post weekly "look at my bump!" photos on Facebook, etc. That's what I have an issue with. If there is a Major Life Event, in my mind you get ONE celebration of said event. I'm thrilled for friends and families that have babies, but how many times do I have to celebrate them? Edit: clarity
    ________________________________


    shaylagirl
  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    jenna8984 said:
    cms519 said:
    Niccirf said:
    Apparently I'm easy. I like any party/celebration/shower/gathering/BBQ/fiesta/shindig that has a mimosa &/or bloody mary bar and cake. I could care less if it's blue, pink or rainbow...just share the sugar and keep the cocktails flowing, please. 
    Maybe my problem is that I don't eat cake!
    hahahah Same here!! I find all showers and get together BOOOORING. I don't know if it's my lack of cake enjoyment, my soberness (6 years) or just that people I know have boring parties lol
    I am totally with you. FI and I rarely drink, and only ever have 1 drink a night (history of alcoholism in both families). At his engagement party, my FI's brother did a keg stand in front of his father and grandmother, and everybody thought it was cute and funny. I was appalled. Getting trashed and gossipping is not my idea of a good party.

    Fortunately FILs always cater with enough food for twice as many guests, so FI and I chill by the food and play pool.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • mbross3 said:
    Sex reveal parties are stupid.  Seriously.  Who gives a flying flip what your child has between it's legs?  Does it change history if your kid is a dangler or has an innie?  NOPE!!  This is the one thing I agree with the crazy Bumpies about (oh, and also the use of 'sex' vs. 'gender' since gender isn't related to what's between your legs).

    I'm not finding out the sex of my baby, though we've got our anatomy scan on the 14th (team Green baby here). 

    Are people irritated that we're not finding out?  Sure they are.  Even DH wants to know (which I said was fine, but make sure you don't tell me!  He opted to not find out either since he's a blabber mouth).

    But, let's be real; ultrasounds and determining sex is still a relatively new technology.  People had to wait "back in the day" and it didn't impact a thing. 

    And, really, will you love your baby any less if they have an outtie or an innie?  NOPE!!  That's still YOUR baby.  Their sex doesn't impact a damn thing except how people spend money.
    Thank you for saying this! I was just about to do that when I saw your post! 

    I can't get behind a sex reveal party either. Baby showers, fine. I can understand that and sure celebrating new life can be fun (especially if there's cake and wine involved). I just hate how gendered everything around babies becomes. You reveal that your baby's sex is male and all of a sudden everything is blue and has prints of cars on it. Why not celebrate that you're having a healthy, baby human being and allow the gender and identify of that child to develop as he or she grows rather than forcing him/her into a box before they're even born!
    Thank you right back because I agree with you too!  ;)

    100% agree that everything becomes so "boy v. girl" in regards to colors and themes.

    I could care less, and my baby could care less if they're in a color that is stereotypically considered to be the "wrong" color.  So what if a baby boy is wearing a pink onesie?  He's dressed, isn't he? 

    Also, there are so MANY neutral themes out there, and babies don't care.  Those "themes" are for mom/dad/grandparents/etc. 

    What if a little boy wants Barbie instead of GI Joe?  Cool!  Or a little girl wants Tonka trucks instead of My Little Pony?  Awesome!  Of course, I'm a little biased; I LOVED my Tonka trucks (and my MLP toys too).

    I know our kid's layette theme is "jungle creatures"; giraffes and elephants and monkeys and such. 

    Until our baby's born, I'm good not knowing what the sex is.  I'll find out soon enough!  :)

    That said...while I love an excuse for cake, I can't justify wanting to do a sex reveal just to eat cake.  I'll make myself a cake so I don't have to share.  Because I'm selfish that way.  (KIDDING!!)
    chibiyuipenguin44doeydombross3
  • cms519 said:
    Niccirf said:
    Apparently I'm easy. I like any party/celebration/shower/gathering/BBQ/fiesta/shindig that has a mimosa &/or bloody mary bar and cake. I could care less if it's blue, pink or rainbow...just share the sugar and keep the cocktails flowing, please. 
    Maybe my problem is that I don't eat cake!
    hahahah Same here!! I find all showers and get together BOOOORING. I don't know if it's my lack of cake enjoyment, my soberness (6 years) or just that people I know have boring parties lol
    I love most parties, except for showers. Unless you're a little kid I don't need to see you opening presents. So I would prefer a gender reveal party over a shower. Lol. The weird thing is I love buying gifts but I hate watching people open them.
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited April 2014
    I typically steer clear of anything that draws attention to myself.  I've even gone so far as to not tell colleagues I am leaving a position in an attempt to avoid any type of farewell/send-off.  Heck, I managed to ditch staff photos for eight years at one position. 

    By extension, I typically did not speak often about achievements of my children.  There were no honor roll bumper stickers or newspaper announcements.

    However, we did combine our (German version of our) St. Patrick's Day party with a surprise mini reveal for my daughter.  She had suffered 3 miscarriages prior to this pregnancy, and our family mourned for her and her husband each time.  She didn't even reveal her pregnancy until the beginning of March.  (She is due August 1.) We had our typical party and menu.  When dessert time rolled around, DD and SIL served cupcakes that were adorned with bows and mustaches.  We simply told family to take a guess and take a bite.  The filling inside revealed a baby girl was joining our family.  

    The party was immediate family only.  We felt it was an unusual circumstance.  I personally prefer not to know gender prior to the birth because I feel strongly that gender is truly one of life's last real surprises.  
    jenna8984cupcait927flyingfoxesemmaaa
  • sarahuflsarahufl New York member
    Tenth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    I think they are ridiculous in general. As PPs said, I blame Pinterest. Never heard of these things till it came around. I love babies more than most things and have 3 nieces. I will never forget the night my sister had her baby and called me at midnight to tell me what she had. I personally like to wait to find out and will do that with my future kids.
    image
  • ashley8918ashley8918 Chicago Suburbs member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    Yea, I don't get the point. And H and I probably will not find out the gender of any kids we have before they're born. At least, I don't want to tell people. I do not want to get all pink or all blue at any showers. I prefer more neutral clothes. And I really hate pink. Sure, any daughter will have a few pink outfits, but she will have no more pink outfits than she has any other color until and unless she decides she really likes pink and wants more pink clothes.  I really hate that girls get stuck in this little box of being a pink floofy princess from the time people find out they're a girl

    /End rant.
    SO MUCH THIS.

    I DESPISE gender stereotypes.
    rajahmdSKPMmbross3grumbledore
  • ashley8918ashley8918 Chicago Suburbs member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    I feel like such a dummy because i cannot figure out all of these acronyms. I just can't keep them all straight! What is 'AW'?
  • FiancBFiancB MinnesOOOta member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I feel like such a dummy because i cannot figure out all of these acronyms. I just can't keep them all straight! What is 'AW'?
    Attention Whore

    I think it's cute with a baby shower, or in one recent poster's case with a wedding if you so happen to be pregnant at the time. Not for its own party.

    I'm not even sure if I want to know the gender of my baby!

    I would actually prefer gender neutral stuff. I do not like the focus on what an up-and-coming baby's sex is and the gender reveal party just magnifies that even more. It really shouldn't matter and it certainly doesn't call for its own party so that you can have a pink-or-blue-splosion of gifts. 
    image
    shaylagirlchibiyuikitty8403
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    I feel like such a dummy because i cannot figure out all of these acronyms. I just can't keep them all straight! What is 'AW'?
    This is not an all inclusive list, but I hope this helps..........

    Frequently Used Knottie Lingo

    Abbreviation    Meaning
    BC, BCPBirth Control, Birth Control Pills
    BFBoyfriend or Best Friend
    BMBridesmaid or Best Man
    BPBridal Party
    BTWBy The Way
    C&PCopy and Paste
    DDDirty Delete
    DFDear Fiance
    DHDarling Husband
    DWDestination Wedding
    E-ringEngagement Ring
    E-partyEngagement Party
    FGFlower Girl
    FIFiance
    FILFather-In-Law
    FILsFuture In-Laws
    FBILFuture Brother-In-Law
    FFILFuture Father-In-Law
    FMILFuture Mother-In-Law
    FSILFuture Sister-In-Law
    GFGirlfriend
    GMGroomsmen
    GTGKnottie Get Together
    HMHoneymoon
    HTHHope This Helps
    IHOIn Honor Of
    ILsIn-Laws
    IMHOIn My Humble Opinion
    IMNSHOIn My Not So Humble Opinion
    JKJust Kidding/Joking
    JPJustice of the Peace
    LOLLaughing Out Loud
    LTBMLiving Together Before Marriage
    MILMother-In-Law
    MOHMaid/Matron of Honor
    MUDMade-Up Drama



    [Deleted User]Kauriskitty8403
  • MobKazMobKaz Chicago suburbs member
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Well, this is a new one for me.  The Knot is telling me I had too many characters in the body of my text.  Here is the remainder of the list........

    NFTNo Further Text
    NHNew Husband
    NWRNot Wedding Related
    OMGOh My God!
    OOTOut of Town
    P&EPlanning and Etiquette Board
    PIBPictures In Bio
    PSAPublic Service Announcement
    RBRing Bearer
    RDRehearsal Dinner
    RPRepost
    ROTFLRolling On The Floor Laughing
    SAHMStay-At-Home Mom
    SAHWStay-At-Home Wife
    SAHDStay-At-Home Dad
    STDsSave-The-Date Cards
    TIAThanks In Advance
    TMIToo Much Information
    TYThank You
    WPWedding Party

    @KnotPorscha....can you explain whether this is a one time glitch or if posters are now being limited to characters in text??
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher Looking over your shoulder member
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Don't forget PPD (Pretty Princess Day), TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read), PIP (Picture in Post), NER (Not Etiquette Related - for the etiquette board), and GBCK (Good Bye Cruel Knot).
    ~*~*~*~*~

  • APDSS22APDSS22 O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A is OK member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    mbross3 said:
    Sex reveal parties are stupid.  Seriously.  Who gives a flying flip what your child has between it's legs?  Does it change history if your kid is a dangler or has an innie?  NOPE!!  This is the one thing I agree with the crazy Bumpies about (oh, and also the use of 'sex' vs. 'gender' since gender isn't related to what's between your legs).

    I'm not finding out the sex of my baby, though we've got our anatomy scan on the 14th (team Green baby here). 

    Are people irritated that we're not finding out?  Sure they are.  Even DH wants to know (which I said was fine, but make sure you don't tell me!  He opted to not find out either since he's a blabber mouth).

    But, let's be real; ultrasounds and determining sex is still a relatively new technology.  People had to wait "back in the day" and it didn't impact a thing. 

    And, really, will you love your baby any less if they have an outtie or an innie?  NOPE!!  That's still YOUR baby.  Their sex doesn't impact a damn thing except how people spend money.
    Thank you for saying this! I was just about to do that when I saw your post! 

    I can't get behind a sex reveal party either. Baby showers, fine. I can understand that and sure celebrating new life can be fun (especially if there's cake and wine involved). I just hate how gendered everything around babies becomes. You reveal that your baby's sex is male and all of a sudden everything is blue and has prints of cars on it. Why not celebrate that you're having a healthy, baby human being and allow the gender and identify of that child to develop as he or she grows rather than forcing him/her into a box before they're even born!
    Thank you right back because I agree with you too!  ;)

    100% agree that everything becomes so "boy v. girl" in regards to colors and themes.

    I could care less, and my baby could care less if they're in a color that is stereotypically considered to be the "wrong" color.  So what if a baby boy is wearing a pink onesie?  He's dressed, isn't he? 

    Also, there are so MANY neutral themes out there, and babies don't care.  Those "themes" are for mom/dad/grandparents/etc. 

    What if a little boy wants Barbie instead of GI Joe?  Cool!  Or a little girl wants Tonka trucks instead of My Little Pony?  Awesome!  Of course, I'm a little biased; I LOVED my Tonka trucks (and my MLP toys too).

    I know our kid's layette theme is "jungle creatures"; giraffes and elephants and monkeys and such. 

    Until our baby's born, I'm good not knowing what the sex is.  I'll find out soon enough!  :)

    That said...while I love an excuse for cake, I can't justify wanting to do a sex reveal just to eat cake.  I'll make myself a cake so I don't have to share.  Because I'm selfish that way.  (KIDDING!!)
    I babysat for a family in high school that had a passel of young boys.  One of the boys made me watch Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus several times in a row because it was his favorite movie of all time and I thought it was sweet.  That being said, that movie had many funny bits for adults like Barbie mountain climbing in a glittery pink ballgown and pulling random ice skates out from her behind.  I don't mind kids as long as they are fairly well behaved (which really relies on the parents).  I just don't think it would be possible for me to care as much as the parents of the child. 

    shaylagirl
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 Ravens & Bohs & Crabs & O's member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 25 Answers

    Wow.. I really don't understand the snark in this situation!  People just like to have reasons to get together, socialize, have fun, and celebrate life in our short time here on earth.  Having a baby is one of the best times in life to celebrate, and one of the most joyous occasions.  I don't have kids, and I get this..  some of these comments make me feel a little depressed for you.  Fine, if it's not your thing, stay home alone while the "AW" and the rest of your friends enjoy a wonderful day together!  Why have any showers or weddings or holiday parties or anything at all, ever?  There's a reason these things exist- to make life a little more pleasurable.

    But, I also just don't understand why so many people hate showers for this same reason.  I also cried today hearing the name and gender announcement of the baby our popular local radio dj had yesterday, a stranger. :)

    Also, I think there aren't many times where finding out 1 of 2 possible options is a huge win either way, I think that is the draw, and fun, of the gender reveal party.

    Amazingly my friends/family and I can get together, hang out and socialize without having to come up with dumb party ideas.  

    And gender reveal parties =  dumb, IMO.  I am all about celebrating a new baby or a marriage or a milestone birthday but to have a party solely to celebrate a babies genitals is a bit ridiculous.

    shaylagirlMarzipan13
  • I don't mind the reveal parties, depending on the person. Sharing in peoples excitement is fun to me.
    It's fun to get to buy the cute dresses or whatever. But my mom and I always try to pick out colors that could be for either, since babies really don't care about colors!
    Also, I know 2 people who were told they were having a boy. Everything was blue, "It's a boy!" and sports themed and all that stereotypical crap right?
    Well the baby comes out and it's a girl.
    So I really am skeptical about them "knowing" anyways.
    doeydo
  • InkdancerInkdancer The Shire member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    CaliMel11 said:
    I don't mind the reveal parties, depending on the person. Sharing in peoples excitement is fun to me.
    It's fun to get to buy the cute dresses or whatever. But my mom and I always try to pick out colors that could be for either, since babies really don't care about colors!
    Also, I know 2 people who were told they were having a boy. Everything was blue, "It's a boy!" and sports themed and all that stereotypical crap right?
    Well the baby comes out and it's a girl.
    So I really am skeptical about them "knowing" anyways.
    My mom's OB insisted I was a boy. Mom didn't agree. When she was filling out the "It's a Girl" announcements with my name while she was in labor, he laughed at her. Apparently the look on his face when he told her my actual sex was rather priceless.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    APDSS22doeydo
  • I'm a big fan of parties for everything, but I'm against gender reveals as well.  My sister wanted one, and my other sister and I kind of rained on her parade.  She ended up doing a small one with just our parents, the other baby grandparents and me.  Our other sister didn't come.  I wanted her to know that I am happy she's pregnant and will love her baby, and am excited for her, but yeah, that's too freakin' much.  Just let me check in now and then and say how happy I am for you.  I don't need to celebrate every time I turn around.
  • While I agree that the majority of these reveal parties are ridiculous, over the top excuses for more gifts and attention, there was one that popped up on my Facebook newsfeed recently that I liked. A good friend and her husband have moved to another state because of a military assignment. She is having her parents' first grandchild. She ordered a small cake from a bakery at home, and enlisted another family member (cousin? aunt?) to pick it up and then gather family members at her parents' home. That family member then did a FaceTime call with my friend - with everyone in the room- while her parents cut into the cake revealing that they were having a grandson. I thought it was a sweet way to do something "with" them despite being 1500 miles apart. 

    When FI and I start having kiddos, I will want to know ASAP if it's a boy or a girl, and so will our families, I wouldn't want a big honkin' party to tell the world. They'll figure it out or they'll ask us. 
    Also- add me to the list of "I Hate Pink Shit Too". Yeah, I'm sure any girl that I have will have several ruffled little dresses thanks to her aunts and grandmas, but I hate the color and refuse to decorate an entire room with it. I prefer browns, tans, whites, grays, maroons, dusty blues.... they don't scream LOOK IT'S A LITTLE GIRL/BOY ROOM! 

    And whoever said their nursery theme was jungle animals- that's freakin' adorable. I love any decor that has to do with baby animals. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    jenna8984Weesh
  • carliealissacarliealissa member
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

    Wow.. I really don't understand the snark in this situation!  People just like to have reasons to get together, socialize, have fun, and celebrate life in our short time here on earth.  Having a baby is one of the best times in life to celebrate, and one of the most joyous occasions.  I don't have kids, and I get this..  some of these comments make me feel a little depressed for you.  Fine, if it's not your thing, stay home alone while the "AW" and the rest of your friends enjoy a wonderful day together!  Why have any showers or weddings or holiday parties or anything at all, ever?  There's a reason these things exist- to make life a little more pleasurable.

    But, I also just don't understand why so many people hate showers for this same reason.  I also cried today hearing the name and gender announcement of the baby our popular local radio dj had yesterday, a stranger. :)

    Also, I think there aren't many times where finding out 1 of 2 possible options is a huge win either way, I think that is the draw, and fun, of the gender reveal party.

    I feel like that's incredibly strange. 
    Thanks- I guess I'm incredibly strange.  I'm definitely not the only one though, geeze half our state has been listening to this show discussing her baby every morning for the past 9 months.  A lot of people were calling in and were emotional.  It was exciting, and I was really thrilled for her.  I know I'm a very emotional person, and often it's frustrating.  At least I know that I get every possible joy and feeling out of life, since there's nothing I can do to change it.

     

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    raeah219
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards