Snarky Brides

Cash Bar?

Re: Cash Bar?

• banana468 said:
    My sister had an afternoon wedding with dinner and a dance.  It was dry.  My mom's side of the family didn't think it was strange sine all their weddings are dry.  My dad's brother was pissed because he wanted to get drunk on someone else's dime.

Or wedding will not be dry.  We're having water, beer, sangria, and whiskey, vodka, or rum to mix with lemonade.  And I have taken a ton of heat here for not serving soda.  

I get that you wouldn't charge your guests for a drink in your house so a cash bar is wrong.  (Never crossed my mind to do one anyway.)  But I also expect that guests would not come to my house and dictate what I should serve.  Both are rude and offensive.
    I'm 5 mos pregnant. Are you seriously saying that my options at your wedding are water or lemonade?
    This seems fine to me.. do you just really like soda?  Or Sprite, aren't most sodas caffeinated anyway?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    My sister had an afternoon wedding with dinner and a dance.  It was dry.  My mom's side of the family didn't think it was strange sine all their weddings are dry.  My dad's brother was pissed because he wanted to get drunk on someone else's dime.

Or wedding will not be dry.  We're having water, beer, sangria, and whiskey, vodka, or rum to mix with lemonade.  And I have taken a ton of heat here for not serving soda.  

I get that you wouldn't charge your guests for a drink in your house so a cash bar is wrong.  (Never crossed my mind to do one anyway.)  But I also expect that guests would not come to my house and dictate what I should serve.  Both are rude and offensive.
    I'm 5 mos pregnant. Are you seriously saying that my options at your wedding are water or lemonade?
    This seems fine to me.. do you just really like soda?  Or Sprite, aren't most sodas caffeinated anyway?
    You can still drink caffeinated beverages when you are pregnant, just not a crap ton.

I too think it is poor hosting to offer a lot of alcohol but only water as an alternative.  How difficult is it to host ice tea and sodas?  Even if the lemonade is available to drink without alcohol one can simply cut one of the liquor options and pay for some sodas.  A wide assortment is always preferable so that the masses (your guests) will be happy.

• banana468 said:

serena569 said:

You can still drink caffeinated beverages when you are pregnant, just not a crap ton.

I too think it is poor hosting to offer a lot of alcohol but only water as an alternative.  How difficult is it to host ice tea and sodas?  Even if the lemonade is available to drink without alcohol one can simply cut one of the liquor options and pay for some sodas.  A wide assortment is always preferable so that the masses (your guests) will be
    happy.

This. A Sprite or ginger ale are not nearly as expensive as alcohol and they can go a long way for those not drinking alcohol.
  • Can I ask this question? What if you are having complementary wine, beer and champagne (along with sodas, waters and tea) but had a cash bar for liquor. Is that still considered rude?
  • I would still consider that rude. It's better to not offer it if you're not going to pay for it, plus it could lead to at least early confusion when people see that beer and wine are hosted and perhaps assume all alcohol is hosted.
  • Can I ask this question? What if you are having complementary wine, beer and champagne (along with sodas, waters and tea) but had a cash bar for liquor. Is that still considered rude?
    Rude.  You should never offer something that you aren't willing to host/pay for yourself.  It would be like if you had complimentary chicken and fish for dinner but for an extra fee your guests could pay to have lobster or steak.

Basically you host what you can afford.

• I would feel like a dick as a hostess if I had people over for dinner and only had water or iced tea/lemonade for them to drink bc I don't think most people would choose iced tea or lemonade out of all the non-alc beverages in the world.  I do think they'd rather have a Coke or Sprite, so that's what I would buy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would feel like a dick as a hostess if I had people over for dinner and only had water or iced tea/lemonade for them to drink bc I don't think most people would choose iced tea or lemonade out of all the non-alc beverages in the world.  I do think they'd rather have a Coke or Sprite, so that's what I would buy.

But is it rude or a breach of etiquette to host alcohol and water? Let's say it's beer and wine for alcohol because one would usually have mixers for the heavier stuff. So beer, wine, and water - why is it rude?
    Anniversary
  • kkitkat79 said:
    I would feel like a dick as a hostess if I had people over for dinner and only had water or iced tea/lemonade for them to drink bc I don't think most people would choose iced tea or lemonade out of all the non-alc beverages in the world.  I do think they'd rather have a Coke or Sprite, so that's what I would buy.

But is it rude or a breach of etiquette to host alcohol and water? Let's say it's beer and wine for alcohol because one would usually have mixers for the heavier stuff. So beer, wine, and water - why is it rude?

It isn't rude per se but I do think it is poor hosting to offer such limited drink options.

• banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    kkitkat79 said:

I would feel like a dick as a hostess if I had people over for dinner and only had water or iced tea/lemonade for them to drink bc I don't think most people would choose iced tea or lemonade out of all the non-alc beverages in the world.  I do think they'd rather have a Coke or Sprite, so that's what I would buy.

It isn't rude but it's cheap. Plus, you are giving those not drinking alcohol ONE option. And I'd hardly say you're offering it. If your venue has plumbing then you have water.
  • From her other post, the soda thing is that they claim they have no way to keep it cold.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    From her other post, the soda thing is that they claim they have no way to keep it cold.
    So they are serving warm lemonade?
  • kmmssg said:

AddieCake said:

From her other post, the soda thing is that they claim they have no way to keep it cold.

So they are serving warm lemonade?

And warm beer and sangria? And the water will be room temp??

• AddieCake said:
    @Serena569 - It is called coolers and ice.  You can find them at your local Walmart.
    Exactly. Our reception was held in a hotel suite. The fridge wasn't big enough to hold everything, so we bought bags of ice, dumped them in the (freshly-cleaned, not used by us, and lined with plastic) bathtub. Then we just stuck all of the beer and soda in there. We kept the juice and other mixers in the fridge along with the wine so it would be easy for the bartender to access.

This is not hard.
  • AddieCake said:
    @Serena569 - It is called coolers and ice.  You can find them at your local Walmart.
    walmart is a horrible company! No one should shop there...unless they want junk from people who treat their employees like crap....
  • aleighc3 said:
    AddieCake said:
    walmart is a horrible company! No one should shop there...unless they want junk from people who treat their employees like crap....

walmart is the devil and they treat their employees like shit.   I agree.   However...  buy the coolers anywhere you want.  But buy them so you have ice for your drinks.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2014
    aleighc3 said:

AddieCake said:

You're right. Clearly that leaves NO other option but warm beverages.
  • There is nothing wrong with having a cash bar...as long as you're supplying the soda/water/etc and the alcohol or sparkling cider for toasts.

I grew up around dry weddings and my family is mostly made up of non-drinkers. Having a cash bar as an option is a good idea if only a handful of people going to your wedding are big on alcohol. You should make a note of it in your wedding website, so no one is caught off guard. However, if people are going to gripe because they feel the need to be drunk for free to enjoy your wedding, then you don't deserve the added stress.

Bottom line: judge based on the people who will be there. If the vast majority do not feel the need to drink on top of whatever is supplied for toasts, then don't waste your money. If the vast majority are in the school of thought that celebrating means getting drunk, then shell out for the full shebang.
  • edited April 2014
    AddieCake said:

There is nothing wrong with having a cash bar...as long as you're supplying the soda/water/etc and the alcohol or sparkling cider for toasts.

I grew up around dry weddings and my family is mostly made up of non-drinkers. Having a cash bar as an option is a good idea if only a handful of people going to your wedding are big on alcohol. You should make a note of it in your wedding website, so no one is caught off guard. However, if people are going to gripe because they feel the need to be drunk for free to enjoy your wedding, then you don't deserve the added stress.

Bottom line: judge based on the people who will be there. If the vast majority do not feel the need to drink on top of whatever is supplied for toasts, then don't waste your money. If the vast majority are in the school of thought that celebrating means getting drunk, then shell out for the full shebang.

You must be new.

I'm just being realistic. The wedding is about the couple and the guests. Every guest list is different, so every wedding should be tailored to fit that guest list.
  • There is nothing wrong with having a cash bar...as long as you're supplying the soda/water/etc and the alcohol or sparkling cider for toasts. I grew up around dry weddings and my family is mostly made up of non-drinkers. Having a cash bar as an option is a good idea if only a handful of people going to your wedding are big on alcohol. You should make a note of it in your wedding website, so no one is caught off guard. However, if people are going to gripe because they feel the need to be drunk for free to enjoy your wedding, then you don't deserve the added stress. Bottom line: judge based on the people who will be there. If the vast majority do not feel the need to drink on top of whatever is supplied for toasts, then don't waste your money. If the vast majority are in the school of thought that celebrating means getting drunk, then shell out for the full shebang.

If there's only a handful of drinkers then why have a cash bar or a bar at all? People don't need alcohol to enjoy themselves. Just don't have  bar. It's as easy as that.
  • There is nothing wrong with having a cash bar...as long as you're supplying the soda/water/etc and the alcohol or sparkling cider for toasts. I grew up around dry weddings and my family is mostly made up of non-drinkers. Having a cash bar as an option is a good idea if only a handful of people going to your wedding are big on alcohol. You should make a note of it in your wedding website, so no one is caught off guard. However, if people are going to gripe because they feel the need to be drunk for free to enjoy your wedding, then you don't deserve the added stress. Bottom line: judge based on the people who will be there. If the vast majority do not feel the need to drink on top of whatever is supplied for toasts, then don't waste your money. If the vast majority are in the school of thought that celebrating means getting drunk, then shell out for the full shebang.
    This will not go over well.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • aleighc3 said:
    AddieCake said:
    @aleighc3 - FFS that is the first place that popped into my head (probably because I work across the street from one), who knew that I was going to get bashed for putting down a random store name. Home Depot, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Dicks, grocery stores all carry that shit as well.  Do those suit you better?  

Anyways, this isn't about a fucking store, this is about the fact that a simple solution of purchasing a cooler (or coolers) and bags of ice will help keep all drinks cold.

• aleighc3 said:
    AddieCake said:
    OK, or Target.  Better?

Do we have to preach about ppl's shopping choices. . . really?  If you don't want to shop there, then don't.
    I was just saying...chill
  • aleighc3 said:
    AddieCake said:
    @aleighc3 - FFS that is the first place that popped into my head (probably because I work across the street from one), who knew that I was going to get bashed for putting down a random store name. Home Depot, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Dicks, grocery stores all carry that shit as well.  Do those suit you better?  

Anyways, this isn't about a fucking store, this is about the fact that a simple solution of purchasing a cooler (or coolers) and bags of ice will help keep all drinks cold.
    I never bashed you...just walmart. I don't know why you are so upset.
  • aleighc3 said:
    aleighc3 said:
    AddieCake said:

I never bashed you...just walmart. I don't know why you are so upset.
    Out of everything they've been talking about, all you mention is them saying they can pick up coolers at Wal-Mart, really?

You have too much time on your hands.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards