Snarky Brides

Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

I'm not a music person so I've been googling for ideas but people don't seem to pay attention to lyrics at all. An awful lot of people seem to think that a wedding song = love song, even if it's a breakup song! Like Queen's "Love of My Life." Great song, NOT the message I want to send at my wedding! 

This is a lame OP because I don't really have any contenders, although one of the weddings I went to did play Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" in the midst of the dance period.
This is me reading threads on TK
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I love Ho Hey by the Lumineers, but let's focus on the lyrics:

"I don't think you're right for him. Look at what it might have been if you took a bus to China Town. I'd be standing on Canal and Bowery."

This doesn't scream romance to me. 
  • Pearl Jam - Last Kiss. Love the song, but definitely not a great choice for a wedding.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• A friend of SIL'S (now divorced) had her first dance to Chicago ' s Hard to Say I'm Sorry. Yikes!
  • ElcaB said:

"I don't think you're right for him. Look at what it might have been if you took a bus to China Town. I'd be standing on Canal and Bowery."

FI thought that would be a great first dance song. I love the song too but they lyrics are definitely off. Plus, it wouldn't be easy to dance to.

We're currently negotiating between his choice of Aerosmith's "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" and my vote for Van Morrison's "I'll Be Your Lover, Too."

My favorite example is "There She Goes"- I always think of the version by Sixpence None the Richer but it was done by someone else. I can't remember if it's about cocaine or heroine, but definitely not romantic. "With or Without You" by U2 seems to apply as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Had to laugh.  I specifically requested Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up at my wedding.  I've loved that song since it first came out.  DH cringed, but accepted it anyway.  :)
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I have no words. Except...no.

(and it reminds me of something my sister in law would do)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• This.
    oh my god everything about that... performance. ew. so gross. 

Slightly off topic but how do you politely ask your guests to not all pull out their phones like instagram zombies during the ceremony? That's one of the grossest parts of that video. Have the officiant mention it? Or is it rude and I should expect my guests to act like adults since they are adults (ideally, but let's be real here)? I won't be in a church so I don't think the atmosphere will be sufficient deterrent.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • raeah219raeah219 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited May 2014

• This.

Slightly off topic but how do you politely ask your guests to not all pull out their phones like instagram zombies during the ceremony? That's one of the grossest parts of that video. Have the officiant mention it? Or is it rude and I should expect my guests to act like adults since they are adults (ideally, but let's be real here)? I won't be in a church so I don't think the atmosphere will be sufficient deterrent.
    I think people ought to, at the very least, silence their phones when they get to the wedding venue for the ceremony. I don't think people should take crappy cell phone pics during the ceremony for their fb/instagram (especially when the bride is most likely going to upload her nice pro photos when she gets them anyway), but you know they're going to do whatever they want.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

This.

I think people ought to, at the very least, silence their phones when they get to the wedding venue for the ceremony. I don't think people should take crappy cell phone pics during the ceremony for their fb/instagram (especially when the bride is most likely going to upload her nice pro photos when she gets them anyway), but you know they're going to do whatever they want.
    Call me crazy but there was a 15 page thread about this already:

• Whistle While you twerk during a bridesmaids' dance off.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• ab6704aab6704a member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    John Mayer's "Daughters" which lots of people think is a sweet daddy/daughter dance was supposedly written by Mayer about an ex-girlfriend who had trust issues because of her absentee father, which lead to the decline and eventual split of their relationship.
  • AlexisA01 said:
    Whistle While you twerk during a bridesmaids' dance off.
    OMG DOWN THE AISLE?!?!?!?!? 

Not going to lie, I would love to witness that. It sounds absolutely hilarious, but I would also be screaming internally and be completely mortified.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• ElcaB said:

A couple I know walked out to that song, the part that goes "I belong with you" yadda yadda.  Never realized the rest was worse!

• Worked a wedding once where the DJ clearly didn't know a lot of country music and played the Thunder Rolls by Garth Brooks, a song about a woman waiting up in a storm for her cheating husband to come home. I mentioned it to him and he just stared at me with a blank look. 

I worked a different one where the DJ played I'm Gonna Miss Her by Brad Paisley for the cake cutting. It's about a guy who's wife gives him an ultimatum, fishing or her, and he picks fishing. At least the DJ was a friend of the couple and it was all very jokey. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • beethery said:
    AlexisA01 said:

Not going to lie, I would love to witness that. It sounds absolutely hilarious, but I would also be screaming internally and be completely mortified.
    The instrumental was for when they walked down the aisle. As soon as reception started, the Bridesmaids and the Bride did their performance to the song...lyrics included.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• AlexisA01 said:
    beethery said:
    AlexisA01 said:

The instrumental was for when they walked down the aisle. As soon as reception started, the Bridesmaids and the Bride did their performance to the song...lyrics included.
    Holy BALLS. Oh my GOD!!!!!!! That is simultaneously the best/worst thing I have ever heard of. Honest to god I would probably be in tears laughing, but I can't imagine what the family, especially older relatives) of the B&G would think.

All I can think of is this reaction:
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited May 2014
    Blurred Lines and Du Hast.  Thankfully both were reception music but so not the message to send.  Rape and break up songs, yay.  I'd rather hear Closer.  But my future grandma has seen NIN live and in that era.  Tool was more disturbing. Then she heard Slipknot.  Yeah I'll stop there.
  • Blurred Lines and Du Hast.  Thankfully both were reception music but so not the message to send.  Rape and break up songs, yay.  I'd rather hear Closer.  But my future grandma has seen NIN live and in that era.  Tool was more disturbing. Then she heard Slipknot.  Yeah I'll stop there.
    Omg... Du Hast is so bananas, I can't imagine hearing it at a reception. Blurred Lines has a really fun, dancy sound, and I guess a lot of people haven't really paid that much attention to how atrocious the lyrics are, because it's been really popular at receptions. Hell, one of the photographers I was checking out had it playing in their slow-mo photobooth demo video. Immediately turned me off :/

Now, I love Tool. I wouldn't play their music at my reception (or ceremony, for that matter), because it doesn't really make sense. I almost want to envision what the older family members' reactions would be when they heard Closer, but I'd rather not give myself the anxiety lol

Dude wants to play some of his metal songs (A Day To Remember, possibly Avenged Sevenfold, I'm not into either bands AT ALL) toward the end of our reception... I'm still unsure about that. 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm down with Rick Rolling too. I love that song...and my FI and I used to joke about it all the time when we first started dating. For a period of about a month I heard either Rick Astley or Journey every single time I got in the car. Never Gonna Give You Up and Don't Stop Believin' are both on the "must play" list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited May 2014
    Inkdancer said:
    Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.
    I refuse to play the song from Twilight.

There are a few others I nixed from consideration because either they refer to alcohol too much (ix-nay for FI) or talk about sex/lovers/etc and that's just weird in front of grandparents and children. (Like Tim McGraw, "My Best Friend" - "you're more than a lover, there can never be another who makes me feel the way you do." or Blake Shelton "Mine Would be You," "hands down best ever make-up sex.") Just makes me twitchy.

We haven't decided on a first dance song yet. :-\

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards