Chit Chat

Eye-rolling baby names

Sorry if any of you are named Brooklyn.  I have a somewhat unusual name so I can dig it.  But really?  One of the most popular baby names?

Maybe it's because I live in NJ, so Brookyn will always be a place and not a person to me.  But I massively eye-roll this because it's like, "This borough is trendy!  Let me name my kid after this geographical place and maybe she'll be trendy and cool, too!"

What baby names/ trends are you side-eyeing lately?  (PS I'm also really tired of Mason.  Makes me think of mason jars, and that's just never cool)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Eye-rolling baby names

• How about Damyyn?  For realz, it took his mom a year to decide how to pronounce it!!!! UGH
  • I know someone with girl and boy named London and Landon. Either one independently is whatever, but together, ehhhhh.

• Aiden. Aidan. Aidyn. Etc. 

Ugh.
  • Isn't one of the Beckham kids named Brooklyn? And I think Ashley Simpson's kid is named Bronx. I mean, my name is by no means common, but I think it's weird to name your kid after a place, especially one you have no connection to.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I know of three girls, who are named Madison, London, and Kirsten. They are not spelled the way that I just spelled them. There are y's, i's, h's, e's, and u's where you would not think they belonged.

Which makes me think, all these letters are where they don't belong, The letters must have been up their mom's ass, because that is the only place she could've pulled the wild-ass misspelled yooneeque versions of those names from.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My name for the second place win - River Valkyrie. If I take DF last name, yeah. Just hand me TARDIS.

So I named my little gray cat Idris. Someone suggested I should name a human child that. No. Hell to the no.

Apple still remains stupid. North. Monroe and whatever Roc is short for. Blue Ivy. Moon Unit. A good 98% of gossip fuel fauxlebrity names.

IRL- the twins named Bella and Edward. That's just all kinds of wrong. I'm waiting for the 50 whack job names. Any name that's hipster misspelled or has random ass punctuation. I'm sorry, but Qw"xjuk-!lloinyh^qguizzn is not Sarah.
  • @PrincessofHavoc I actually love your name!  The first and middle together are definitely unique and sort of nerdtastic (in a good way) but I've known several people named River and I don't think it's weird.  I have a nature-y name too and I like it.  At least it isn't trendy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    Madison, Peyton, and Ava are apparently the only three female names that people in my hometown area know.   Not that I don't like the names, but comethefuckon whyyy do I know five babies named Madison and SEVEN named Ava?

• The variations of Jasmin(e). Jazmyne. Jayzmin, etc
    The remix versions of the name Mariah: Kariah, Moriah, Teriah, etc. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

•  I love unique names, but I agree that some are just ridiculous! @PrincessOfHavoc - did someone actually name their child Moon Unit? I feel like I wouldn't have missed that one! 

Jackson is a *huge* name here. So is Brooklyn, & Sophia. They all go in waves though. I remember growing up, and Sarah and Amanda were crazy popular names, and so was Ryan and Chris. There was always a handful of those names in a classroom. 

*J
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    chibiyui said:

I side-eye unique name spellings, like Jaycon for Jason, Alyxa for Alexa, etc. 

I also side eye Nevaeh, and other word spelled backwards names. 

I also side eye Bubba, Jim Bob or any other regular name followed by a Bob, Lee or Lynn, Crystal (esp. with a K), Bambi, Candy (esp. with an i), North, Bella, and I'm sure there are others. What can I say, I'm a judgey bitch.

Krystal with a K here....but at least I was born in the 80s when it was a thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We know a couple who named their little boy Ryerson. I just feel bad because he won't even be able to spell it until he's like 10. Also there are far too many Jackson's in our vicinity. I actually loved that name until EVERYone used it.
  • My brother's friend and his baby mama named their kid Kamdyn. Because, you know, Camden by itself isn't dumb enough. 'Here let me name my kid after a city in Jersey but jack up the spelling.'
    Why would you want to name your kid after the most dangerous city in the state?!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Xctasy has to be the worst one that I have ever heard. Unfortunately her parents were crack head nut jobs, and punished the girl by pouring bleach in her eyes and beating her, but I definitely side eyed the parents even more for naming their kid after a drug and misspelling it. All of this made the local news a few years ago, which is why I heard about all of this.

I grew up in a fairly low income area, and heard many names like Laneaqua, Shaneaqua, Someotherform-neaqua, etc. and definitely side eyed those. Sorry if anyone has one of those names, but I never understood it, because it didn't seem unique if all of your friends' names ended the same way. There were also a lot of girls named Mercedes or Porsche...you really couldn't think of something better than your dream car to name your kid?

• Those names I mentioned earlier, I had to look at FB because I couldn't remember.

Lundyn, Madysun, and Khyrstyne.

You're welcome!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My brother's friend and his baby mama named their kid Kamdyn. Because, you know, Camden by itself isn't dumb enough. 'Here let me name my kid after a city in Jersey but jack up the spelling.'
    Um, have they ever been to Camden?  Because they probably don't want to emulate anything about that place.... (said with love by a mostly-Jersey girl)
    JMalettas said:
     I love unique names, but I agree that some are just ridiculous! @PrincessOfHavoc - did someone actually name their child Moon Unit? I feel like I wouldn't have missed that one! 

Jackson is a *huge* name here. So is Brooklyn, & Sophia. They all go in waves though. I remember growing up, and Sarah and Amanda were crazy popular names, and so was Ryan and Chris. There was always a handful of those names in a classroom. 

*J
    Moon Unit is Frank Zappa's kid, I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• beethery said:
    Those names I mentioned earlier, I had to look at FB because I couldn't remember.

You're welcome!
    Reminds me of: "It's Krirsten.  The R is before the I.  And after the I."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Lmao I just tried to say that out loud, and it came out Career-sten. I am drinking and eating cookies. This name thing is great.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    Those names I mentioned earlier, I had to look at FB because I couldn't remember.

You're welcome!

All of them, but especially the bold. 

Dear parents, you are not helping your child with these spellings. You are though making everyone who ever comes across your childs names special spelling think that you, the parents, are freaking dumb. 

Signed, the girl with teh misspelled name that every English teacher I ever had pointed out how and why it was spelled wrong. 

Anniversary
  • YUP. They're very sweet kids, but I pity them for the names they were given.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• chibiyui said:
    beethery said:

You're welcome!

All of them, but especially the bold. 

Dear parents, you are not helping your child with these spellings. You are though making everyone who ever comes across your childs names special spelling think that you, the parents, are freaking dumb. 

Signed, the girl with teh misspelled name that every English teacher I ever had pointed out how and why it was spelled wrong. 
    Oh fun fact on spelling.  Both my first and last names are common nouns, spelled exactly the same way you would spell in the dictionary.  But the last name is also commonly misspelled when it's used as a name.  Like if the noun was Carpenter, but people constantly want to spell it Charpentier.  So I'll hand my license or credit card to someone at a register and say, "My email is spelled like THIS" and spell it out C-A-R etc.  I'll watch the person write down Charpentier because that's the way they're used to spelling it, and they just start tuning me out the moment they hear the word pronounced.

I'm still undecided on changing my last name.  Fi has a really unique Italian name.  But at least people pay some damn attention when he spells it, because they've never heard it before!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have two double vowels in my last name. Nobody ever wants to use the second double vowel at the end. Ever. Like it's fucking illegal to put that last L in, alert the popos. FI's last name is vaguely Greek-sounding, and apparently his (and his dad's, and his granddad's) whole life has involved correcting people on how to say it or spell it.

Also, people on the phone repeatedly ask if my name is Seth or Death. If it's a telemarketer I say Death. They don't usually call back.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• My best friend's nephew is named Rian.  Pronounced like Ryan.  Which is the exact name that my best friend and I came up with several years ago as an example of ridiculously spelled names, as it was one we "knew" no one would ever actually do and we wouldn't offend anyone using it as the example.  Poor little boy, he'll never understand why we laugh.
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    I think the worst are "unique" spelling for normal names. And Nevaeh.

Although I heard of someone around here who named her child after a character from Ren and Stimpy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• FSIL is naming her baby Gracelyn Elizabeth, but she's going to call her Grace for short. I don't understand why she wouldn't just name her Grace...I don't really care for any name with -lyn tacked on the end.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that I'm a little bitter because (A) Grace Elizabeth has been my first choice for a baby name for years now and (B) FSIL is beating me to it because she seems to think that having a baby will be like getting a puppy or a new toy, and OMG she just HAD TO HAVE ONE as soon as she got married.

I also eye-roll any last name given as a first name, unless it's a family name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FSIL is naming her baby Gracelyn Elizabeth, but she's going to call her Grace for short. I don't understand why she wouldn't just name her Grace...I don't really care for any name with -lyn tacked on the end.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that I'm a little bitter because (A) Grace Elizabeth has been my first choice for a baby name for years now and (B) FSIL is beating me to it because she seems to think that having a baby will be like getting a puppy or a new toy, and OMG she just HAD TO HAVE ONE as soon as she got married.

I also eye-roll any last name given as a first name, unless it's a family name.
    One of my (other) aunts FULLY STOLE name ideas from the youngest aunt! Son AND daughter names, and even stole DOG NAMES from her! Youngest aunt had been talking about those names FOR. EV. ER, and other aunt named her two kids the EXACT names my aunt had been planning to use.

Then again, other aunt called my mom a bitch under her breath and stomped out of the house the day that my mom told grandma she was pregnant (first grandchild). Other aunt was cuckoo bananas about shit back in the day.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Oh fun fact on spelling.  Both my first and last names are common nouns, spelled exactly the same way you would spell in the dictionary.  But the last name is also commonly misspelled when it's used as a name.  Like if the noun was Carpenter, but people constantly want to spell it Charpentier.  So I'll hand my license or credit card to someone at a register and say, "My email is spelled like THIS" and spell it out C-A-R etc.  I'll watch the person write down Charpentier because that's the way they're used to spelling it, and they just start tuning me out the moment they hear the word pronounced.

I'm still undecided on changing my last name.  Fi has a really unique Italian name.  But at least people pay some damn attention when he spells it, because they've never heard it before!
    My last name has TWO LETTERS. People always spell it wrong. I sign for all our UPS/FedEx/USPS packages, and always spell my name for the carrier. It's spelled wrong on the receipt confirmation every time. Every. Single. Time. For the last 3+ years. And we have the same 4 or 5 carriers every time, too.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• My boss's husband and son are named Raniel. Becuase Randy and Daniel could not be decided on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards