Chit Chat

Eye-rolling baby names

Re: Eye-rolling baby names

• vollebell said:
    I have one student who's mother misspelled her name on her birth certificate on accident. She flipped the vowels around, so it would be like Allosin instead of Allison. I have another student that her first name is her mother's maiden name (which mom kept) then her last name is her father's last name, so Smyth Jones and mom is Lady Smith.

I'm sick of Kadence, Kaden, Tristan, or any misspelling thereof. I know 4 Kadence and 2 Kaden and 3 Tristan babies.
    Just FTR...Tristan is a real name.
    Anniversary
  • A girl I know named her daughter 'Khemistry'. *shudder*
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • csuave said:

What do you think of giving babies "old people names" like Mildred, Elmer, Herbert, Gladys, etc.?

When I was growing up I didn't know anyone with a really weird name but I had two friends that hated their old people names.   

With all of the yoonique names out there now I would actually feel better for a kid that got named Herbert instead of Jaxon.  

DH and I really like 'Hugh' for a boy if we have one, and that's fairly old-fashioned. But there's also Hugh Laurie and Hugh Jackman, so it's not totally unheard-of.

My parents are friends with a William Williamson [Mom's maiden name] Williams. Yes. Really. He goes by 'Bill.' Don't blame him. 
    Wow.  In high school I dated a kid named Robert Roberts, but he had a different middle name.  I thought that was bad!  Your parents' friend should go by "Triple Bill" or something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• csuave said:

What do you think of giving babies "old people names" like Mildred, Elmer, Herbert, Gladys, etc.?

When I was growing up I didn't know anyone with a really weird name but I had two friends that hated their old people names.   

With all of the yoonique names out there now I would actually feel better for a kid that got named Herbert instead of Jaxon.  

I have a feeling those names will eventually become popular again.

• vollebell said:
    I have one student who's mother misspelled her name on her birth certificate on accident. She flipped the vowels around, so it would be like Allosin instead of Allison. I have another student that her first name is her mother's maiden name (which mom kept) then her last name is her father's last name, so Smyth Jones and mom is Lady Smith.

I'm sick of Kadence, Kaden, Tristan, or any misspelling thereof. I know 4 Kadence and 2 Kaden and 3 Tristan babies.
    Just FTR...Tristan is a real name.
    Oh I know it's a real name... doesn't mean I'm any less sick of it.
  • When my aunt was pregnant with her second daughter, her MIL REALLY TRULY wanted my aunt to name the baby 'Gurlene' or 'Willowla'. No joke. Apparently they are super old family names, and they had been out of play for a generation.

Aunt told her MIL, "There is a reason for that, ma'am."
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

When my aunt was pregnant with her second daughter, her MIL REALLY TRULY wanted my aunt to name the baby 'Gurlene' or 'Willowla'. No joke. Apparently they are super old family names, and they had been out of play for a generation.

Aunt told her MIL, "There is a reason for that, ma'am."
    Back in the day, my family had eight consecutive generations of Ichabod. I threatened to bring it back. FI said we could get him into weight-lifting and wrestling and call him "Ichy the Bod."

• MagicInk said:

On my Facebook ticker, a friend's friend just announced that baby "Wiktoria" was born.

All I can think of is that she was named after Wikipedia....

Edited because I can't type today....

Any chance they meant..Viktoria? I mean it's a screwed up spelling of Victoria. But...at least it's a real name.

Wiktoria is a real name BTW. It's the Polish spelling of Victoria. Their W makes our V sound.
    Ooh interesting - @Countrylivin89 - are the parents (or one of the parents) Polish?  If so, it's a pass.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • csuave said:

I love old names! I agree, I'd rather meet an Edgar or an Edna than a Jaxxxon or Khymlee any day.
  • FI and I generally love old fashioned names or biblical names. They just seem more sensible to us. FWIW, a really unique or interesting sounding name would not "fit" us at all. Also, many older and traditional names are familial that we want to use.

• I can deal with trendy names much easier than the yoonique spellings of "common" names.  Drives me crazy and like most of you all very sad for the kid who will always have to correct the spelling and pronunciation and NEVER find their name on a cheap souvenir.

Our future kids will be named after family members or Biblical names.  If we have a boy (not currently TTC) with will be James Anthony.  James is my Dad's first name and Anthony is the middle name of my DH, FIL and the first name of DH's grandfather.  If we have a girl I would like the middle name to be Diane, which is my mother's middle name.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • edited May 2014
    So I work with babies and these are just a few of the names we currently have of some of our babies. I thought of you ladies and this thread when I realized the baby I was taking care of was named "Island". ------------------------------- Island. Demonté. Sa'Niyah. Jaida. Jerliyah and Janiyah (twin girls). Royal. Admire. Dwain. Liyah. Yoltzin and Yanira (twin girls). Adonay. Javier (w a hard J). Kennedi. London and Paris (twins, one boy one girl). Zamarion. S'renity. Two coworkers convinced one mom not to name her baby Lady Gorgeous once. :-/ --------- Ugh TK won't let me list them or do paragraphs. Sorry!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • The paper just released out top baby names, along with some unique ones.  Apparently the double x was popular with boys, such as Daxx, Jaxx and Jixxr.  Girls got the double z with Azza, Fezza and Izzy.  I'm hating the double x especially.  

• gildedcoyotegildedcoyote member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2014

I had a boss who named his son Ocean. Everyone in our conference room was trying to hide the looks of horror when he made the announcement in our weekly team meeting.

ETA: spelling is hard.

• MagicInk said:

On my Facebook ticker, a friend's friend just announced that baby "Wiktoria" was born.

All I can think of is that she was named after Wikipedia....

Edited because I can't type today....

Any chance they meant..Viktoria? I mean it's a screwed up spelling of Victoria. But...at least it's a real name.

Wiktoria is a real name BTW. It's the Polish spelling of Victoria. Their W makes our V sound.
    Ooh interesting - @Countrylivin89 - are the parents (or one of the parents) Polish?  If so, it's a pass.

Well now I feel dumb. Here I thought that they just totally pulled some random letters out of the air and mashed together a name for their offspring.

I'm not actually sure if the're Polish or not.... I just noticed it through one of my friends commenting on it. Here's hoping, though.  

• KPBM89KPBM89 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    For some reason I can't quote it, but this is in response to the old names.  One of my very favorite names is Adelaide and I've heard from others that it sounds old.  When a friend and I were talking about what we would name our kids, she said "Well that's old fashioned, but you could spell it like A-d-e-l-a-y-d!"  No.

• arrippa said:

KPBM89 said:

For some reason I can't quote it, but this is in response to the old names.  One of my very favorite names is Adelaide and I've heard from others that it sounds old.  When a friend and I were talking about what we would name our kids, she said "Well that's old fashioned, but you could spell it like A-d-e-l-a-y-d!"  No.

You can call her Addie and she will be awesome and love cake!

I've been campaigning for Adaline/Adeline (I think the second spelling is correct, but the first is how I first saw the name) When I first told my Mom that name she didn't like it, but loves the nickname Addie!

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    KPBM89 said:

You can call her Addie and she will be awesome and love cake!
    I've been campaigning for Adaline/Adeline (I think the second spelling is correct, but the first is how I first saw the name) When I first told my Mom that name she didn't like it, but loves the nickname Addie!
    I love Adeline!  One of my former coworkers has a very sweet daughter named Adeline and I think it's a lovely name.  I think they call her Addie, or maybe Ada.  There's a good nickname in there.

I'm also a big fan of the old-fashioned names.  I think Greta Gerwig's name is awesome.

And hey, if you want to give your kid a trendy name or something cultural, knock yourself out.  There are better things in life than finding your name on a souvenir (I never could as a a kid, but I've noticed more children with my name now so maybe it's making a comeback)?  But it's the weird spellings of common names that really get me.  You're dooming your kid to a life of constantly correcting people, and potentially having important things really screwed up.

Case in point: one of my friends is named Emilie.  She finally just caved and goes by Emily at school and on her professional email address, because so many people were emailing her with the common spelling instead of the correct one.  I also knew a Lissa who eventually started going by Lisa.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My flower girl is Adelaide. As of now, it doesn't really fit her and she's called Layla. So it's got plenty of nice nicknames out there.
  • I love Adelaide. It is so pretty. One name that FI and I both really like is Calliope but I have a cat name Callie and naming you kid something similar to your cat probably is a bad idea.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I love Adelaide. It is so pretty. One name that FI and I both really like is Calliope but I have a cat name Callie and naming you kid something similar to your cat probably is a bad idea.
    I have met more dogs with my name than humans.  But if you count strippers and cheerleaders on television, humans win.  Not sure which is worse lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    jdluvr06 said:
    I love Adelaide. It is so pretty. One name that FI and I both really like is Calliope but I have a cat name Callie and naming you kid something similar to your cat probably is a bad idea.

How is that pronounced? It looks like one of those names that I like spelled out but not pronouced, like Siobhan, for example. It sounds like a car's name to me.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    I have met more dogs with my name than humans.  But if you count strippers and cheerleaders on television, humans win.  Not sure which is worse lol!

I feel your pain. There are a lot of strippers with my name.
  • FI has informed she'd like to name our potential future daughter Amelia Rose. 

She still hasn't gotten why I can't stop laughing. 
  • The paper just released out top baby names, along with some unique ones.  Apparently the double x was popular with boys, such as Daxx, Jaxx and Jixxr.  Girls got the double z with Azza, Fezza and Izzy.  I'm hating the double x especially.  
    I've always loved Izzy for a girl for a shortened version of Isabella. Because I always loved the name Isabella. Then Twilight happened.

I have a guy friend named Izzy, it's his nickname for reasons no one really knows. There's a very good chance he nicknamed himself Izzy.
  • arrippa said:
    jdluvr06 said:

How is that pronounced? It looks like one of those names that I like spelled out but not pronouced, like Siobhan, for example. It sounds like a car's name to me.
    I'm horrible about phonetic spellings, but it is something like "Ka-lie-o-pea".  I only know this by wataching Gray's Anatomy.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    arrippa said:
    jdluvr06 said:

I'm horrible about phonetic spellings, but it is something like "Ka-lie-o-pea".  I only know this by wataching Gray's Anatomy.  :)

Yep. That is it. Lol.
  • I have an old lady name. But I was named after my mother. I would kind of like to name my daughter (if I have one) after me/us. I like old fashioned names - Dolores, Helena, Gertrude. ie, isn't Baby Gertie so adorable!

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards