Chit Chat

Sh!t my husband says

Re: Sh!t my husband says

• MagicInk said:
    I spell the word color colour sometimes because I think it looks prettier with the U. 

I also say bloody hell, knickers, and piss/sod off. Because I like British slang. It sounds fancy.

@HisGirlFriday13 I have actually wondered for awhile if there was a reason you used the European versions over the American versions? Just general curiosity, like did you live there for awhile, was it what you were taught, do you just like the spellings better? I don't really give a shit, I'm just curious. 
    Because that's what I was taught growing up. We read British literature and British stories, so I actually didn't know the 'American' spellings of things until I went to elementary school and failed a spelling test on them. Old habits die hard! (And apparently annoy internet trolls.)

• if you guys are going to say shit at least make it accurate. i asked once if it would be rude because you all were giving me craap about how many girls i wanted. seriously you all should maybe pull your head out of hgf's ass long enough to breathe and actually READ what i posted
    Except it would actually be rude to have "tentative bridesmaids" Soooo I don't know how that wasn't accurate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    afox007 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I think this thread needs a mood lightener. Has anyone here walked a place and spoke in a random British accent? @afox007‌'s slut story had me thinking about that. My friends and I used to walk around speaking with accents and to this day when we are goofing off we still say words like slut, whore, fuck, ect with an accent.
    During our Spice Girl phase you couldn't get me and my BFF's to stop using a British accent. It drove our parents and teacher's crazy. The three of us still pop up with the accent once in awhile.

I also noticed while working in a call center if I am talking to someone with any type of accent I accidentally pick it up. I once had a customer with a heavy Southern accent ask me where in the South I was from; I didn't realize I had the same accent he did for the entire conversation. 
    In middle school, while playing badminton in gym class, some of my friends and I got it into our heads that it would be the highest form of comedy to talk in British accents. I'm a little ashamed to say that we irritated another friend so much, she was in tears by the end of class.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • if you guys are going to say shit at least make it accurate. i asked once if it would be rude because you all were giving me craap about how many girls i wanted. seriously you all should maybe pull your head out of hgf's ass long enough to breathe and actually READ what i posted
    Except it would actually be rude to have "tentative bridesmaids" Soooo I don't know how that wasn't accurate.

MagicInk said:
    I spell the word color colour sometimes because I think it looks prettier with the U. 

I also say bloody hell, knickers, and piss/sod off. Because I like British slang. It sounds fancy.

@HisGirlFriday13 I have actually wondered for awhile if there was a reason you used the European versions over the American versions? Just general curiosity, like did you live there for awhile, was it what you were taught, do you just like the spellings better? I don't really give a shit, I'm just curious. 
    Because that's what I was taught growing up. We read British literature and British stories, so I actually didn't know the 'American' spellings of things until I went to elementary school and failed a spelling test on them. Old habits die hard! (And apparently annoy internet trolls.)

or maybe the real reason

• MagicInk said:
    Thanks for sharing! I was thinking it was something like that because what we're taught very young can stick in our brains well into adulthood.

I failed a lot of spelling tests. But I'm just a crappy speller. No matter what my parents did, my spelling did not improve until I started learning ASL and my mom would randomly say a word and then say "How do you spell that in ASL?" and I spell it out. I still do it randomly watching TV they'll say a word and I'll start spelling it out in ASL (even if I know the sign for it). Unfortunately this was all after spelling tests. And I still spell a lot of words wrong, my posts have so many red lines before I post them.
  • phira said:
    afox007 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    I think this thread needs a mood lightener. Has anyone here walked a place and spoke in a random British accent? @afox007‌'s slut story had me thinking about that. My friends and I used to walk around speaking with accents and to this day when we are goofing off we still say words like slut, whore, fuck, ect with an accent.
    During our Spice Girl phase you couldn't get me and my BFF's to stop using a British accent. It drove our parents and teacher's crazy. The three of us still pop up with the accent once in awhile.

I also noticed while working in a call center if I am talking to someone with any type of accent I accidentally pick it up. I once had a customer with a heavy Southern accent ask me where in the South I was from; I didn't realize I had the same accent he did for the entire conversation. 
    In middle school, while playing badminton in gym class, some of my friends and I got it into our heads that it would be the highest form of comedy to talk in British accents. I'm a little ashamed to say that we irritated another friend so much, she was in tears by the end of class.

Lol. Poor girl. That is cute though. I wish I was in middle school when we did this. We were in college and mostly did it when we were drunk.

@afox007 I went through a Spice Girls phase too!! 

To all the trolls: you can stir shit all you want but I dare you to says fucker very loudly with an accent and not giggle. 
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think we need @KnotPorscha to come pay this thread a visit since some of you folks are violating the terms of service by attacking HGF.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

What a weird ass thread. 

I always spell grey instead of gray. I decided it looked better as a kid and it's been habit ever since. And when one of us does something kinda dumb the other that weird Family Guy Chacarron horse song. 
  • i just think it is ffunny trhat less adn less poeple are coming to HGF aid now. maybee because they realized that she is annoyinng with all her pretentious crap?
  • afox007 said:
    jdluvr06 said:

I do that too! I don't even realize I'm doing it. I pick up on people's speech patterns too when I talk to them and start mimicking them. No idea why.

And yes, I have randomly just started speaking in a British accent. I actually do pretty well with one! Does anyone else remember on Dharma & Greg when Dharma and her friend would go shopping and they'd pretend they were from another country or something? Yeah...I've totally done that and it's awesome.
  • MagicInk said:

Annoy internet trolls?  hmmm.  What annoys THIS TROLL is your obvious inability to interact with anybody who does not agree with you 100%.  You are all well and good until somebody has an opinion different from yours.  I would be so bored to only be around yes woman, but to each their own I suppose.  
  • i just think it is ffunny trhat less adn less poeple are coming to HGF aid now. maybee because they realized that she is annoyinng with all her pretentious crap?
    Speaking of proper spelling (and typos)...good job on this post? Not to say I don't make them myself from time to time, but spell check is a good friend. Let me introduce the two of you...
  • FiancB said:

What a weird ass thread. 

I always spell grey instead of gray. I decided it looked better as a kid and it's been habit ever since. And when one of us does something kinda dumb the other that weird Family Guy Chacarron horse song. 
    I like grey over gray as well. I tend to use them interchangably though.
  • This thread is so, so weird. And trolls are so fucking tiresome.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • madamcleo said:
    MagicInk said:

Annoy internet trolls?  hmmm.  What annoys THIS TROLL is your obvious inability to interact with anybody who does not agree with you 100%.  You are all well and good until somebody has an opinion different from yours.  I would be so bored to only be around yes woman, but to each their own I suppose.  
    At least you admit you're a troll, so there is that, I suppose. 

Also...I work in politics. I interact on a daily basis with people I don't agree with, or whose opinions differ from mine, and it's fine. 

I do try not to feed internet trolls, though. They manage to multiple without any assistance.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • @pinkshorts27, it's the same with my FI and me as well...sometimes I say "eyeroll" things just to get a response, though...; @crossmyheartxoxo, not at all, we're just tired of listening to the three or so of you trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. You'll find very few people on this forum have an issue with HGF, because she ALWAYS has good advice. ANDPLUSALSO, I've never known her to attack anyone on this site, unlike a certain few trolls I could name.
  • natswild said:
    @pinkshorts27, it's the same with my FI and me as well...sometimes I say "eyeroll" things just to get a response, though...; @crossmyheartxoxo, not at all, we're just tired of listening to the three or so of you trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. You'll find very few people on this forum have an issue with HGF, because she ALWAYS has good advice. ANDPLUSALSO, I've never known her to attack anyone on this site, unlike a certain few trolls I could name.
    Our last exchange has led us to yell "toast" and "butter", instead of "Marco" "polo" and we find it hilarious.  My mom sometimes asks if we are talking in code, because I'll say have a word or sentence and we can both be laughing so hard we cry. And my brother and FI and MOH/BFF all tease me mercilessly. It is a good thing that I'm a big girl and can handle it. I love that the three of them are friends and would never be offended by them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yes lets run and tell on annybody who doesnt agreee with belittling a spouse.
  • MagicInk said:

I sometimes use British words in speech because my mother is Australian and we grew up with her saying "goofy" things ;-)

Will still have the herb herb debate!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wow... I go into a few meetings and this happens?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MagicInk said:

I sometimes use British words in speech because my mother is Australian and we grew up with her saying "goofy" things ;-)

Will still have the herb herb debate!

British slang is fun. I use it a lot around my great grandmother because she yells at me when I curse in front of her so bloody hell is my compromise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards