Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

BYO Food, Drink, Chair - Gifts also Expected

I got invited to a friend's wedding. There were no invitations sent out, everything is being organized through facebook as an event. At first, guests were told that it will be a potluck reception and the registry information was provided. I looked back later, and the event info was edited to tell guests to bring their own drinks (no alcohol permitted) and that there will be no seats in the area and that everyone needs to bring their on chair. Now, it looks like the wedding planners want to know the potluck dish that all guests are bringing, and have "approved" the few that were commented back to them. Am I the only person that feels that asking guests to bring chairs, drinks, and gifts is a burden? Am I wrong to be offended that the couple wants guests to bring a potluck dish, but it has to be pre-approved? Help me get some perspective on this!

Re: BYO Food, Drink, Chair - Gifts also Expected

• Options
    There is no perspective to gain because every little bit of this is rude and completely ignores etiquette.

• Options
    I would not go to a wedding that was so poorly planned. My family loves potluck weddings. Its beentheir tradition for generations where the bride's family prepares the RD. But I have never heard of the dishes having to be pre-approved. That just seems terribly rude and inconsiderate.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding almost exactly like this, and aware of similar ones that have been done by friends or friends of friends. This seems to be something of a trend, especially among young, not particularly well off couples. I agree with PPs that it is rude. Whether I side eye hard or let it go depends a lot on my personal relationship to the couple.
  • Options
    No gif

Run so far far away. This is definitely in the top 10 rudest weddings I've heard about.

Wait, are they already married too? Because that would be the ultimate. As it is, penultimate.
  • Options
    If it were an intimate gathering and the couple nor family could afford a fully hosted reception then I think it'd be weird but okay (but like I said, intimate...as in your family and closest friends who probably already know there's financial difficulty). I know people have potluck receptions for smaller weddings 2nd +, or older couples, but it's usually assigned to people as dessert, side dish, etc. without fully dictating what is being brought (and isn't a requirement to attend). If I was ever invited to a wedding where I had to bring food, drinks, chairs, or whatever else they don't want to pay for and I wasn't super close to the couple, I would respectfully decline (to their faces and talk about it like crazy behind their backs). If I did attend such a poorly hosted event (if you can even call it hosted at this point), my gift would be myself attending with a chair, drinks for myself, probably a flask in my purse, and food - fast food for myself if the item I offered to bring wasn't good enough to be approved.
  • Options
    If it were an intimate gathering and the couple nor family could afford a fully hosted reception then I think it'd be weird but okay (but like I said, intimate...as in your family and closest friends who probably already know there's financial difficulty). I know people have potluck receptions for smaller weddings 2nd +, or older couples, but it's usually assigned to people as dessert, side dish, etc. without fully dictating what is being brought (and isn't a requirement to attend). If I was ever invited to a wedding where I had to bring food, drinks, chairs, or whatever else they don't want to pay for and I wasn't super close to the couple, I would respectfully decline (to their faces and talk about it like crazy behind their backs). If I did attend such a poorly hosted event (if you can even call it hosted at this point), my gift would be myself attending with a chair, drinks for myself, probably a flask in my purse, and food - fast food for myself if the item I offered to bring wasn't good enough to be approved.
    Still not okay.  And why would a smaller wedding get a pass?  Or older couples?  They are getting married just as much as young people with a big party!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    vt&dtvt&dt member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    OH LORD.  Just when I think it can't get any worse....

Not being able to afford it is a terrible excuse.  Either plan something different, cut the guest list, or wait and save $.  I truly believe (except in the case of serious illness) anyone can afford almost anything - as long as they work hard and save.

• Options
    Just because it's not the proper thing to do doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If I were bascially living paycheck to paycheck, had older kids with families, and a few close friends then I would be more okay with asking people to chip in...and they should be close enough to me to know why I'd ask such a thing without having to explain it. Just 'cause you're broke or don't want to spend your life savings on a marriage later in life doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to have friends and family gather to celebrate.
  • Options

Just because it's not the proper thing to do doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If I were bascially living paycheck to paycheck, had older kids with families, and a few close friends then I would be more okay with asking people to chip in...and they should be close enough to me to know why I'd ask such a thing without having to explain it. Just 'cause you're broke or don't want to spend your life savings on a marriage later in life doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to have friends and family gather to celebrate.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. If you're truly "broke" or don't want to pay for a big party, then you either don't host a party, or you scale back your event. Potluck weddings are basically just attempts to have your cake and eat it too. People may still come and be supportive, but that doesn't make the choce to have a potluck wedding any less rude.
  • Options
    Just because it happens doesn't mean it isn't rude.  I could host a cake and punch event in the afternoon at my house for under $100, or in a public park with a shelter area for under $200 if my house doesn't have enough seating for the guest list.  Properly hosting doesn't need to cost a lot, but it shouldn't cost your guests anything.
  • Options
    No way would I attend this wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Very, very rude. I would be "busy" that day and send a card.
  • Options
    If you can not afford to feed your guests some cake and punch in a lovely non-meal-time afternoon reception you have way bigger issues.  Seriously.   

There are many ways to have a celebration that does not put you in debt nor make your guests host their own damn party.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    That's awful! I could deal with maybe one of those things. But really, even though alcohol isn't allowed, it's STILL BYOB? Water/punch/pop is not that expensive! I can understand when people can't afford alcohol, but not nonalcoholic drinks ffs. That just takes the (bring your own) cake. 

And chairs are expensive, but you'd think they could manage that when they aren't paying for any food or beverages. Whole lotta nope. Curious how many guests are invited? 
  • Options
    Where is this wedding that they have no chairs?  Not even picnic benches?  While I am personally ok with potlucks (still against etiquette, I just love cooking), this is just crazy.  At any potluck, you don't get to approve the dishes.  Offer suggestions, sure, but not tell people that what they're making isn't good enough.  I just can't fathom having a potluck at a place with no chairs.  
  • Options
    No way would I go.

I also have an honest question. At these BYO Chair weddings- where do you get your chair? I live in an apartment. The only chairs I own are not super portable. I don't have space to store beach chairs, etc. So would I have to go out and buy a chair? What kind of chair should I get? Lawn? Beach? Chaise? Do I stop at Walmart on my way and grab one of those Coleman camping chairs? The blow up kind you find in freshman dorms?

Honestly. This is a real question.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    sarahufl said:
    No way would I go.

I also have an honest question. At these BYO Chair weddings- where do you get your chair? I live in an apartment. The only chairs I own are not super portable. I don't have space to store beach chairs, etc. So would I have to go out and buy a chair? What kind of chair should I get? Lawn? Beach? Chaise? Do I stop at Walmart on my way and grab one of those Coleman camping chairs? The blow up kind you find in freshman dorms?

I have some folding chairs from IKEA. We use them when we have a lot of company over. My future in-laws also have a stock of folding chairs in their house for the same purpose, and they often bring them to family events when more chairs are needed. But that's a liiiiiiittle different.

And while I do have my folding chairs, I wouldn't go to this wedding anyway.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    phira said:
    sarahufl said:
    No way would I go.

I have some folding chairs from IKEA. We use them when we have a lot of company over. My future in-laws also have a stock of folding chairs in their house for the same purpose, and they often bring them to family events when more chairs are needed. But that's a liiiiiiittle different.

And while I do have my folding chairs, I wouldn't go to this wedding anyway.
    Yeah, I know a lot of people have chairs. Rudeness of this WHOLE THING aside, though- some people don't have places for them!
  • Options
    They can afford wedding planners?

OP, please decline or tell them that they are being completely rude.

If I absolutely HAD to go to this monstrosity, I would NOT be bringing a gift.  
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    When my FBIL got married last year they had a potluck wedding. I can't tell you how many watermelons were rolling around under the folding tables because so many people brought them. I also came to realize that there are a shit-ton variations of potato salad. Maybe it's not so bad to get approval of what to bring if you insist on making your guests bring their own food.

There was so much side-eyeing at this wedding that I'm surprised people could see straight at the end of it. 

The wedding was in August and in Washington state and we live in Wisconsin. I offered to bring a bag of ice but FI told me to play nice. 
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member

I probably would, but it would be my chair. 
  • Options

I was thinking this too.  Also, can we say that they are probably the worst wedding planners in the history of wedding planners?

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    When I read wedding planners, I assumed OP was referring to the B&G as the wedding planners. At least I hope that's the case. 

Hosted food & drink & chairs > wedding planners. I would love to have a wedding planner, but really that's the first thing that got cut from the budget. 
  • Options
    I assumed it meant the people handling the details, not hired planners. If they are hired planners, you need to find out who they are and post it on here so NO ONE uses them EVER - because daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's some bad planning
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards