Chit Chat

Figure Flattering Tattoo? Potentially NSFW

doeydodoeydo member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited June 2014 in Chit Chat
I don't see myself wearing a bikini ever again, so I guess this would only be seen by people seeing me nude and/or in my bra and under wear.  Anyways, do you think tattoos on the torso/rib cage area can make a person look better?  Like an optical illusion of being thinner or something?  Examples of what I mean:
imageimage.
Edited because it wouldn't let me paste

Re: Figure Flattering Tattoo? Potentially NSFW

• I don't think they do anything to make someone look thinner, but I'm also not personally a tattoo person. 
  • I think those tattoos are cool, especially the second one.  But I don't think they are slimming in any real way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I like those tattoos but I don't think they are slimming. This post just reminded me how badly I want another tattoo though.
  • I don't know about slimming, but they're fucking cool. I know Margret Cho said something about getting tattoos to hide her stretch marks and instead of getting plastic surgery because all the ink would distract from the stretch marks/extra skin/not photo shopped model body she has.
  • Based on the title and opening paragraph, I thought someone had tattooed shadows of a six pack or something to make it look like they had definition.  Kind of like how you can do with make-up.  I don't think these make you look slimmer though

• I think the layout in the second photo is very flattering to her body, but I don't think they are necessarily slimming. I would guess bad placement could make you look wider, though.

Also, I'm with @jdluvr06‌, I am itching to get another tattoo or three. I only have one on my wrist so far. I just can't decide where to get it that can be covered and won't get wonky if I pack on a few LBs. Also, I love black and gray, so I want to find a really good artist who I'd used to working with a limited palette.

Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • My boobs hurt just looking at the first photo, that bra is at least two sizes to small.

As for the tattoos, I don't think those examples have any sort of slimming effect, but I definitely think you could achieve a slimming effect using the directions of the lines on a tattoo-  I think diagonal lines following the shape of your body can be extremely flattering.  That's totally not an artistic tattoo though, I'm literally just thinking of a bunch of lines (Which would be super cool on a gown, but maybe not a tattoo.)  BUT you could totally use that idea as a sort of "Grid" to place your own design on, and try to make the lines of your design match up with  this "Grid."  Basically like this corset- except those two thick dark lines would be where the edge of your tattoo is, and you would want more diagonal lines within the artwork that follow that same direction:

• I think the layout in the second photo is very flattering to her body, but I don't think they are necessarily slimming. I would guess bad placement could make you look wider, though.

Also, I'm with @jdluvr06‌, I am itching to get another tattoo or three. I only have one on my wrist so far. I just can't decide where to get it that can be covered and won't get wonky if I pack on a few LBs. Also, I love black and gray, so I want to find a really good artist who I'd used to working with a limited palette.

It is addicting. I have 7 now and I'm still itching to get more.
  • Nah. I'm way wider than these girls and I don't think side stomach tattoos would make me look smaller. I think they might even make me look bigger, by drawing attention to that area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think they make people look smaller, but I still say go for it! I wouldn't, because I'm a little bitch-ass whiny baby, hahahah, and everyone says they hurt like hell. I got my last one on my collarbone and I about passed out. It needs touching up something fierce because I was having a really hard time sitting still so homeboy rushed it, but I keep telling myself it's totally fine cus it hurt so bad. BUT they're so beautiful, everyone I know who has a side tattoo loves it (now, haha). 

What would you get??? 

I've also got one behind my ear (I can't see it, but that placement was intentional), which my artist said would probably be really painful but then I also have a really fat head. :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited June 2014
    I do not understand tattoos.  I don't think they look good on anybody.  This, of course, is completely my own opinion.  I don't like multiple piercings, un-natural hair coloring, or heavy eye makeup, either, but this is all personal taste.
    It is your body, and you have the right to mess it up if you want to.  Just remember that future surgical scars can change the look of those tattoos.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My boobs hurt just looking at the first photo, that bra is at least two sizes to small.

Oh gosh, me too.  And so is her underwear.  My tummy is almost exactly that size and shape, and I hate when the band on my underwear does that to me.  Size up, ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Oh gosh, me too.  And so is her underwear.  My tummy is almost exactly that size and shape, and I hate when the band on my underwear does that to me.  Size up, ladies!

Classic muffin top effect from panties that are too small.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

I was thinking the exact same thing, but never got around to typing.  I went into VS one day, and they gave me a bra card for sizing with underwear size too.  She eyeballed me and put me as a small.  I'm like no way honey.  I hate muffin top from underwear.  It drives me crazy.  I usually wear large, though I sometimes find it hard to find ones that aren't too loose in the crotch but too tight on the hip.  Sorry for so much random info.  ;)

• slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    jdluvr06 said:
    Angusaur said:
    CMGragain said:
    I do not understand tattoos.  I don't think they look good on anybody.  This, of course, is completely my own opinion.  I don't like multiple piercings, un-natural hair coloring, or heavy eye makeup, either, but this is all personal taste.
    It is your body, and you have the right to mess it up if you want to.  Just remember that future surgical scars can change the look of those tattoos.
    Everyone has their opinion, and that's cool. Obviously there's people who don't like these things. I think it's a pretty rude thing to say someone is messing up their body though.

Yeah not liking something is fine. Saying other people are messing their bodies up is rude. As a person with multiple tattoos and piercings, who also has purple steaks on my hair, I could easily take offense to that. I don't because it was just some random message board comment but still.
    Yeup.  Same here (minus the purple streaks....maybe one day!).  I made (and stand by) decisions of what I did to my body.  To say that I "messed it up" in doing so is a little not cool.
    Anniversary

• I agree that while the tattoos look cool, they are not slimming. Also, I don't know if you plan to ever have children, but if you do, take that into consideration before getting a tattoo that may wrap around your tummy. I have a friend who had what I thought was a rose tattoo on her stomach. She got it pre-pregnancy. Turns out, it used to be cherries.
  • If by slimmming, you mean do they draw the eye upwards, they do. But I wouldn't get tattoos for the slimming effect. They really don't help that much.  I am planning on getting a bible verse tattoo on my rib cage. It means something to me, not just to be slimming (although I can use whatever help I can get in that department).
  • snippet17 said:
    I love tattoos, but if you are getting a tattoo to make yourself look thinner you are getting the tattoo for the wrong reason.
    This x1000. It's like the worst reason to get a tattoo. But if you have a design you love that you want on that spot, go for it!
  • I have 4 tattoos and I don't in any way consider my body messed up. My tattoos are beautiful. It's fine to have an opinion about things like that, but you don't have to be so judgemental. 

I was thinking the exact same thing, but never got around to typing.  I went into VS one day, and they gave me a bra card for sizing with underwear size too.  She eyeballed me and put me as a small.  I'm like no way honey.  I hate muffin top from underwear.  It drives me crazy.  I usually wear large, though I sometimes find it hard to find ones that aren't too loose in the crotch but too tight on the hip.  Sorry for so much random info.  ;)
    Why do underwear manufacturers do that? I swear I bought a thong (my size) the other day that was cutting me in at the hip and yet hung down away from my skin in the crotch. It was so bad, I thought I had put it on wrong. Nope. Just made that way. What do you want me to do, pull it up past my belly button?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• CMGragain said:
    You do realize that you can not like something, and not be condescending and rude to the people that do, yes?  This is such and arbitrarily snotty thing to say to a group of people who obviously like tattoos.

OP, there are figure slimming tats.  I personally have on on my back that is almost exactly like this one:

Holy beautiful, Batman.
    Anniversary

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014

Can I thread-hack for a second? I need opinions.

H has tattoos. His family has tattoos. So its no big deal to his side. My family does not have tattoos and is probably pretty in line with CMGs line of thinking. My cousin got her nose pierced and my grandpa referred to her as a family disapointment for the next month.

Since H and I got engaged I have wanted to tattoo his initals on my inner wrist. Nothing huge, just small cursive letters. I have wanted it for 3 years now and have yet to pull the trigger.

So my question is two part:

1. Do you think tattooing your SOs name/ initials is a bad idea?

2. Would you get a tattoo knowing how much it will bother your family?

ETA: I see my fmaily all the time. So I wouldnt be able to hide it, not that I would want to.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lkristenjlkristenj member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014

@KatWAG - My family has similar thoughts on tattoos. My uncle got a small Christian fish tattoo on his ankle and tried to hide it under a bandaid for months. Of course, having a bandaid in the same place every time you visit is suspicious, so they caught on. I think they were disappointed, but of course, everyone still loves my uncle.

Neither FI or I have tattoos and neither of us have any desire to get them. I don't have any piercings either. I prefer to keep my body the way it is, but I respect other's choice to have tattoos and find them fascinating.

Have you ever considered white ink? I think IF I were interested in tattoos, I would do something small in white ink. It looks a bit like a smooth light scar to me, rather than a dark tattoo. A former friend from college had a small white heart just above her thumb. It was subtle and beautiful. I have heard that you have to be careful with white ink though and get someone that knows how to use it. The regular blue/purple stencils that they use bleeds through white ink making it look gray and dirty. They don't look good when done improperly.

ETF words

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I wouldn't let my family's attitude towards tattoos stop me from getting one. But, as much I love my FI and truly believe we'll be together forever, I wouldn't get his name or initials tattoos on me. 
  • It seems like tattooing a name or initials of an SO on you is like a curse.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• doeydodoeydo member
    @KatWAG
    1.  Sorry, but yes I think it is a bad idea.  Things can always happen in the future that may seem impossible now.  Perhaps you find out he is having an affair.  Perhaps you have a son and raise him for years, but then he passes away by an illness or accident or something.  Now, whenever you look at your DH, you see your child and just aren't happy anymore so you separate.  Sorry if that was a bit morbid, I was just trying to get a point across that anything can happen.
    2.  Yes, I would.  My grandparents disapprove of tattoos and piercings (other than earlobes) but my cousin has a lot of tattoos and piercings and, while my grandpa made the occasional joke and eyebrow raise, they eventually got over it, I think.  I guess she sort of made it easier for any of the other grandkids as she kind of blazed the path.  Anyways, it is my body to do with whatever I want, they can dissaprove all they want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards