Chit Chat

I am speechless.....and that takes a lot

My H, I and 12 year old daughter were invited to the wedding of a friend of H. It will be a 4 hour drive and hotel stay. Since DD would not know anyone and the children are all younger we RSVPed for H and I. The bride called an hour ago to say my DD has to come. They had planned to rent a hotel room and have her babysit for all of the other kids coming! WTF they have never even met DD. I was floored.

Re: I am speechless.....and that takes a lot

• Has to come?   Why would she HAVE to come?  Maybe she as another commitment that day?

That is just weird.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Uh, yeah. How incredibly presumptuous of them. They weren't planning on ASKING her (and you guys)?  Or planning on paying her for her time?  She received an invitation to attend, not work.

That is so far beyond rude of them that I'd seriously consider rescinding my RSVP...and maybe the friendship.
  • Oh my gosh. How atrocious! Daughter DEFINITELY has a fun sleepover party to attend that night instead.

image   image   image

• Whaaaaat?!

I'd tell her "oh sure! $10 per hour per kid."

• @lolo883 Great minds think alike!
  • debbeau said:
    My H, I and 12 year old daughter were invited to the wedding of a friend of H. It will be a 4 hour drive and hotel stay. Since DD would not know anyone and the children are all younger we RSVPed for H and I. The bride called an hour ago to say my DD has to come. They had planned to rent a hotel room and have her babysit for all of the other kids coming! WTF they have never even met DD. I was floored.
    Holy mother on a pogo stick!
    That is possibly one of the ballsiest moves I've ever heard. Oh, man. I'd be speechless too, for about ten minutes. Then that ballsy woman would be wishing I'd remained speechless.
    What are you going to tell her?
  • I'm curious. Was there a response?
  • Yeah, what did you respond?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ew, that's gross.  She invited DD.  

Ditto PPs.  What happened?  

• I also want to know the response. That's crazy ridiculous.
  • Eff that noise. First off it's rude she's a guest not a slave. Second, even if your daughter babysat, how many kids are we talking here? Even if she's the most responsible 12 year old in the world depending on how many kids, their ages, etc. that's a lot of responsibility for anyone to handle. If you do wind up bringing DD and if she babysits I would charge the bride up the wazoo and demand ten slices of cake!
  • debbeau said:
    I told her my daughter has plans. I don't know this girl but that would be end of convo with most people. She said what was she doing that was so important. I told her DD was getting her first Brazilian.. Her grandmother was taking her. She was real quiet then said ok and hung up. I am sure H is going to hear about it from the groom.
    ROTFLMAO!    I'd love to hear what the groom has to say about your daughter being voluntold.
  • debbeau said:

I told her my daughter has plans. I don't know this girl but that would be end of convo with most people. She said what was she doing that was so important. I told her DD was getting her first Brazilian.. Her grandmother was taking her. She was real quiet then said ok and hung up. I am sure H is going to hear about it from the groom.

*highest of fives gif to be placed when I get home from work here*

Anniversary
  • Banana I like that term voluntold
  • Best response ever.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • That is the best thing I've read in ages!!  I love that response!!

• debbeau said:

Banana I like that term voluntold

I wish I could take credit for it but I read it here on TK first.
  • debbeau said:

• So the nervy bride asked you what was so important that your DD had to miss her wedding/job! And, you had RSVP'd without her! Unreal!
  • Best response ever. What does you H say about all of this?
  • debbeau said:
    amazing. Please tell us what your H says about all this.
  • WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards