Snarky Brides

Anti-vaxxers

I just need to SMH at this girl on my Facebook.  She's an expecting mom (I posted about her baby shower FB blast HERE).  She just posted this gem:

----------------

Sooooo... No luck finding a pediatrician/family doctor. They all insist on vaccinating- and doing so on their schedule. So, again, does anyone have any suggestions of a pediatrician or family doctor that is Granola Cruncher friendly?

So far I have checked out:
[Dr. XXXXXX, etc.]

& please, keep your opinions on the anti-vaccers to yourself. This is not up for debate/discussion... & you will not change my mind so don't try.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Anti-vaxxers

• Probably needs to go to CA as I understand the schools there no longer require vacs.
  • Story time.  At around 9 months old, I received my first dose of whooping cough vaccine.  I fell asleep and my mom couldn't wake me up.  I wound up in the hospital, basically in a coma.  Until my dad panicked and pinched me in the pressure point between my thumb and forefinger, so the story goes, and I woke up crying.  Turns out I have a deathly allergy to pertussis and could not finish the vaccination.  To this day, Fi and all my close friends know that I can't have a regular tetanus shot because it has pertussis in it.

In middle school, I got fucking whooping cough.  My doctor wouldn't believe my mom that I had whooping cough, because it was "eradicated" and who would I get it from?  I was sick for a year.  I would cough until I vomited.  It was the most miserable year of my life, and probably could have killed me if I was a few years younger.

Now whooping cough is common because of the anti-vaxxers.  Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

SIB

I got whooping cough in middle school too (along with my brother and yes, we were vaccinated). The doctors were floored. It was an awful, awful experience. I can't understand how people refuse to vaccinate their kids. 
  • @chibiyui you get a million points for the perfection in gif form that is the Boondock Saints gif.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Story time.  At around 9 months old, I received my first dose of whooping cough vaccine.  I fell asleep and my mom couldn't wake me up.  I wound up in the hospital, basically in a coma.  Until my dad panicked and pinched me in the pressure point between my thumb and forefinger, so the story goes, and I woke up crying.  Turns out I have a deathly allergy to pertussis and could not finish the vaccination.  To this day, Fi and all my close friends know that I can't have a regular tetanus shot because it has pertussis in it.

In middle school, I got fucking whooping cough.  My doctor wouldn't believe my mom that I had whooping cough, because it was "eradicated" and who would I get it from?  I was sick for a year.  I would cough until I vomited.  It was the most miserable year of my life, and probably could have killed me if I was a few years younger.

Now whooping cough is common because of the anti-vaxxers.  Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.
    This shit extra pisses me off. My grandmother had whooping cough as a very very very young child, it was so bad that it caused seizures that caused brain-trauma induced epilepsy that she's had to deal with her whole life. She had a surgery on her brain shortly before I was born that ended up destroying her short-term memory. She is incredibly intelligent, and can remember things from as far back as her early childhood, but it takes years of repetition before something becomes the norm for her. It also did a number on her processing abilities, and according to most of my family, she's a different person from before her surgery. 

Her epilepsy and mental status post-surgery, combined with a prevalence of Alzheimer's in our family has affected her life so much, that I can't begin to imagine the struggling she deals with to complete sentences and do life while she's having what she refers to as 'a spell'. She's becoming incredibly paranoid and has begun to lash out at those around her and then not remember why she was mad.

It's possible that she wouldn't have had to deal with that if they'd had the vaccine widely available before she'd contracted whooping cough at age 3. 

It enrages me that anyone could be so irresponsible as to forgo vaccinating their children for made-up bullshit that they read about on fucking facebook or heard about on their 'crunchymama' forum shit. I hate those people. Unless you have a GOOD FUCKING MEDICAL REASON, you better vaccinate your god damn kids, or I'm going to 100% hate your ass.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I only mentioned pertussis because it's my understanding (not a parent here, so I probably read it on the internet somewhere) that children under a year can't have the vaccine, so they rely on herd immunity.  I was doing a bad job of making the point that vaccines aren't just for your kid, they are also for every kid who is too young or who has a vulnerable immune system/allergies. 

I just can't even with the amount of stupid people today.  On TK and IRL!  Grrrrrr

• I fully admit, any future child we adopt will be fully vaccinated but the give multiple shots on one day scares me.

My family doctor thankfully will set up a delayed schedule, but if you get off that, they go back to traditional schedule.

My grand aunt was in a wheelchair from age 6 from polio. She was lucky in that was it. I may hit anti vaxxers one day. Namely the customer who lectures anyone she can corner on evil vaccines causing autism and other such things. Her never vaccinated middle of five child has pretty nasty ADHD and autism, when he had a spinal tap for group B strep, they didn't do a tap, they vaccinated him.
  • I fully admit, any future child we adopt will be fully vaccinated but the give multiple shots on one day scares me. My family doctor thankfully will set up a delayed schedule, but if you get off that, they go back to traditional schedule. My grand aunt was in a wheelchair from age 6 from polio. She was lucky in that was it. I may hit anti vaxxers one day. Namely the customer who lectures anyone she can corner on evil vaccines causing autism and other such things. Her never vaccinated middle of five child has pretty nasty ADHD and autism, when he had a spinal tap for group B strep, they didn't do a tap, they vaccinated him.
    What do you think is wrong with multiple shots? Like hell I'm going to drag my baby to the doctor every month, paying a co-pay every time, just to go through the stress of needles again and again if I can get several over with in one visit.

As for OP, I'd be tempted to post the fabulous article I found that disproves nearly every anti-vaxxer argument in one fell swoop. Oopsie! Now how did that get there? :)

Another good one, for those who whine about 'ingredients.' http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2012/04/demystifying-vaccine-ingredients.html
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
  • Ughhh I have a story that I'll try to keep as anonymous as possible. (I work for a school, so FERPA....)

Students I work with are nurses. This one bitch I cannot stand who complains about everything always ends her lengthy complaint e-mails with, "I'm going to tell everyone in the massive non-profit I started not to attend your school if you don't fix this for me..."

Guess what non-profit she started? Something about nurses against vaccines.

We all died a little inside when we learned what entity she was talking about.

• If there is one thing in this world that makes me lose my shit and rage at the drop of a hat.. its anti vaxxers... Oh. MY. GOD!!!! I have not words...none... nope.. 
    Anniversary
  • Re: multiple vaccines at once, I have an anecdote (not to be confused for evidence of ANY KIND, but just an interesting story). 

When I was in middle school, the Hep B vaccines had just come out (and become mandatory). I went in for one of them (a 3-shot series at that time, maybe still? Dunno). While I was there, they gave me my tetanus shot at the same time. No big. Tetanus always hurts for a while after unless you have a hero nurse/tech who injects verrrrry slowly, but it's livable.

So the next day at school I developed a fever and had to come home. My mom was CERTAIN it was the hep B shot, and was a little worried since she wasn't finding good info on it. She even called my pediatrician to ask about it.She, too, was worried that maybe the Hep B and the Tetanus at the same time were causing the reaction.

Meanwhile, sick Katie was leafing through the mandatory literature they hand out when they give any vaccine, and saw that, in fact, it is the Tetanus shot that can cause mild fever, "especially in adolescents." 

I was like: "Mom. Mom! Hang up the phone. It says it's just the Tetanus. I'll be fine."

All of which is to say, multiple vaccines are probably okay. It doesn't mean side effects are impossible, but sometimes the side effects are just "normal" ones.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel

• Anti-vaxxer's drive me INSANE. Serious rage face.

I have a friend on FB who is always posting "articles" (and that is a loose term for what is posted). One "article" she posted was all about how tetanus is a lie and how it doesn't really even exist and it questioned why you could get a shot after you've already been exposed/infected.

Bro, do you even science?

And also...are you fucking kidding me?!?!
    Bahhh hahahaha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• As the mother of a 3 yo and a newborn who can't be vaccinated the opting out of vaccines scares the crap out of me. I believe it's MMR that Chiquito can't get until he's 1 and not bringing him out when he has an active older sister just isn't an option.

I know some anti vaccers and I still can't support them. Even the articles they post to FB are discredited!
  • My fussing about multiple vaccines in one day is admittedly stupid. I have reacted badly anytime I got more than one in a week. I know any child will obviously not be genetically related to me. But I can't do it.

I'm stupid. I know.
  • I just need to SMH at this girl on my Facebook.  She's an expecting mom (I posted about her baby shower FB blast HERE).  She just posted this gem:

----------------

Sooooo... No luck finding a pediatrician/family doctor. They all insist on vaccinating- and doing so on their schedule. So, again, does anyone have any suggestions of a pediatrician or family doctor that is Granola Cruncher friendly?

So far I have checked out:
    [Dr. XXXXXX, etc.]

& please, keep your opinions on the anti-vaccers to yourself. This is not up for debate/discussion... & you will not change my mind so don't try.
    It's times like this that I wish society would just let Darwinism go into play...
    If only they were only hurting themselves and not their kids (and the rest of us, some of whom are immunocompromised and can't get vaccinated, of course).
  • Probably needs to go to CA as I understand the schools there no longer require vacs.
    I teach middle school in CA, we turned away 80 kids this year, who hadn't updated their vaccines. So, yup we still require them. The only exception is religious beliefs, but even then there are regulations for those kids; I'm not sure what exactly, since I haven't come across a kid with that exemption yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards