Snarky Brides

Anti-vaxxers

Re: Anti-vaxxers

• Ugh don't even get me started on this one
  • Wegl13 said:
    The other reason not to take on an anti-vaxxer as a patient: as a doctor if you don't trust my recommendations about vaccinations, you aren't going to trust my recommendations about ANYTHING ELSE.... So why should I waste my time with you? Basically you are asking me to be a gateway to the drugs YOU deem necessary and guess what, that's not my job. PS chicken pox can cause neurological disease and other terrible things. Also you're at risk of getting shingles forever and I've gotten to see that firsthand and it sucks. Just because you had it as a kid and don't remember it being that bad- don't risk your kids on it. I knew a friend that got it in high school and she was bedridden for a month.
    Yeah shingles sucks majorly.  I had it last year at 28.  I had chicken pox as a kid.

My 18-year old cousin had shingles right before me, and she never had chicken pox, but did have the vaccine.

So, I think you can still get it even with the chicken pox vaccine.  There is a shingles vaccine as well that I have considered getting.  (I'm terrified that I will get pregnant in a few years, get super stressed, and then have an outbreak during pregnancy.)

• daria24 said:
    I have a vegan FB friend who is hugely anti-vax. And the ironic thing is that she doesn't think they cause autism, just that they aren't "necessary." And then she goes on to explain about herd immunity and how it keeps non-vaccinated people safe. Bitch, do you actually understand herd immunity?! In order for the herd to be immune...it has to be 90%+ vaccinated. So basically you're passing the buck on to other people so your kid can be "pure." I can't with this bitch. I hope that kale smoothie heals your kid when he gets whooping cough from his Crunchy group play date. Also, she doesn't go to medical doctors. She only sees a naturopath.
    This is the worst possible excuse.  I don't have to vaccinate my kid because everyone around me will vaccinate theirs?   Ugh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• My fussing about multiple vaccines in one day is admittedly stupid. I have reacted badly anytime I got more than one in a week. I know any child will obviously not be genetically related to me. But I can't do it. I'm stupid. I know.
    Right here with you! I've begged FI that we just spread out their vacciens. Any kids we have can get all their shots, just not all at once.

I always had bad reactions to having many at once, so FI is going along with it. Even though genetically I won't be related to him/her.
  • MagicInk said:
    My fussing about multiple vaccines in one day is admittedly stupid. I have reacted badly anytime I got more than one in a week. I know any child will obviously not be genetically related to me. But I can't do it. I'm stupid. I know.
    Right here with you! I've begged FI that we just spread out their vacciens. Any kids we have can get all their shots, just not all at once.

I always had bad reactions to having many at once, so FI is going along with it. Even though genetically I won't be related to him/her.
    I have no problems with spreading out vaccine schedules.  

I do have a problem with refusing to vaccinate your children, unless they are allergic or immunocompromised.  I understand hesitancy with relatively new vaccines that have had a wide range of side-affects, such as the HPV vaccine for girls, but  I also recognize that in 10 years, 80% of the population will be infected with HPV unless we stop it, and that HPV is terrible and leads to cancer and other terrible things.   

However, what I can't stand is when people cherry pick research, or when people follow completely fabricated research.  For example, my BF's Mom constantly hands us pamphlets telling us not to vaccinate our children, and one time she even pulled me aside to tell me how they use aborted fetuses in the vaccines.  Ummmmm...... no they do not.  She means well, but it's just one more example of how fear mongering perpetuates poor health decisions.  

• I just need to SMH at this girl on my Facebook.  She's an expecting mom (I posted about her baby shower FB blast HERE).  She just posted this gem:

----------------

Sooooo... No luck finding a pediatrician/family doctor. They all insist on vaccinating- and doing so on their schedule. So, again, does anyone have any suggestions of a pediatrician or family doctor that is Granola Cruncher friendly?

So far I have checked out:
    [Dr. XXXXXX, etc.]

& please, keep your opinions on the anti-vaccers to yourself. This is not up for debate/discussion... & you will not change my mind so don't try.
    Why bother finding a doctor when she clearly thinks so little of the medical profession and can make medical decisions for her baby based on internet research and feelings?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just need to SMH at this girl on my Facebook.  She's an expecting mom (I posted about her baby shower FB blast HERE).  She just posted this gem:

----------------

Sooooo... No luck finding a pediatrician/family doctor. They all insist on vaccinating- and doing so on their schedule. So, again, does anyone have any suggestions of a pediatrician or family doctor that is Granola Cruncher friendly?

[Dr. XXXXXX, etc.]

& please, keep your opinions on the anti-vaccers to yourself. This is not up for debate/discussion... & you will not change my mind so don't try.
    It's times like this that I wish society would just let Darwinism go into play...
    Problem is, idiots like this fuck up herd immunity for everyone.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I was just texting my mom and apparently when I was a wee baby one of my dad's cousins wanted to bring her baby to meet me. Now I was a preemie and had only been home from the hospital for a week. And cousin was apparently anti-vax and her baby was a little over a year old. And in daycare. So basically she wanted to bring her un-vaxed kid who'd been out and about with other kids to come play with the just home from the hospital premiee.

My mom, who was a big fan of keeping me alive, said hell to the no. I could meet them once I could get my vaccines. Which set off cousin. First she shouldn't pump all those chemicals into, I was too small to handle them. Second, how dare she insinuate she was a bad mom. And third her baby was healthy because of herd immunity and he would help me stay healthy.
  • MagicInk said:
    So I was just texting my mom and apparently when I was a wee baby one of my dad's cousins wanted to bring her baby to meet me. Now I was a preemie and had only been home from the hospital for a week. And cousin was apparently anti-vax and her baby was a little over a year old. And in daycare. So basically she wanted to bring her un-vaxed kid who'd been out and about with other kids to come play with the just home from the hospital premiee.

My mom, who was a big fan of keeping me alive, said hell to the no. I could meet them once I could get my vaccines. Which set off cousin. First she shouldn't pump all those chemicals into, I was too small to handle them. Second, how dare she insinuate she was a bad mom. And third her baby was healthy because of herd immunity and he would help me stay healthy.
    A good response to cousin: Please contract an illness that requires quarantine. Good day.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

We had a bad whooping cough outbreak in my town because some anti vax idiots brought their unvaccinated kids with whooping cough to LOCAL RESTURANTS AND A FUCKING MOVIE.
    Loved it for the picture.  Hate it for the anti-vax idiots.

• Yeah, DF and our family doctor all are fine with spreading out vaccines. I fully admit it's me being a paranoid weirdo. But after the stories of Baby Havoc in NICU for 27 days from 3 shots, then Teenaged Havoc in PICU for 13 days after getting a tetanus and Hepatitis shot on the same day - I can't do it.

Heck, I have even gotten my whooping cough shot updated. A friend has an immunosuppressed daughter, who can't get the shot but exposure is insanely risky. So I stuck my arm out.

Any kid will get all the recommended vaccines, even HPV (I got it, it sucked, but cancer sucks more.).

----------------

[Dr. XXXXXX, etc.]

It's times like this that I wish society would just let Darwinism go into play...
    If only they were only hurting themselves and not their kids (and the rest of us, some of whom are immunocompromised and can't get vaccinated, of course).
    This is it exactly. Deciding not to vaccinate (which is the overwhelmingly recommended course of action) doesn't just put the children of anti-vaccine folks in danger, it puts children who are not yet vaccinated due to age or health in danger. 

We had a bad whooping cough outbreak in my town because some anti vax idiots brought their unvaccinated kids with whooping cough to LOCAL RESTURANTS AND A FUCKING MOVIE.
    Loved it for the picture.  Hate it for the anti-vax idiots.

SITB

The ladies at our local mexican heaven food place yelled at them and kicked them out. It made me happy.
  • Yeah, guess they're going to home school too, hmm?  Vaccines are required for school entry and also for most daycares (I know in my state, they have to have the HiB vaccine to enter a licensed daycare).  We are seeing a resurgence of preventable diseases because people are idiots!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a nurse in a clinic at a Veteran's Hospital.  I give multiple vaccines daily to adults.
    I have co-workers, who are not vets, that had polio as children.  Polio is still active in the world.
    You don't see people younger than 50 in the USA who have polio.  Why would you even want to risk that?  Would you want to have your children using braces and wheelchairs for the rest of their lives?

I met an older person who survived tetanus as a child.  He is okay now, but he almost died.  
    I work with doctors who come from other countries and have seen these diseases first hand.  Why would you risk your children lives?  
  • antreeta1 said:

I am a nurse in a clinic at a Veteran's Hospital.  I give multiple vaccines daily to adults.

I have co-workers, who are not vets, that had polio as children.  Polio is still active in the world.
    You don't see people younger than 50 in the USA who have polio.  Why would you even want to risk that?  Would you want to have your children using braces and wheelchairs for the rest of their lives?

I met an older person who survived tetanus as a child.  He is okay now, but he almost died.  
    I work with doctors who come from other countries and have seen these diseases first hand.  Why would you risk your children lives?  
    Friend of ours had polio. He's 87. Spent a year in bed as a child and his back is all twisted from it. Horrible horrible disease.

I wonder if all these anti-vaxxers take their animals to a vet? Do they give a second thought about vaxxing their pets? Probably not....
  • I just came across this video recently and love it. Sums it up perfectly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just came across this video recently and love it. Sums it up perfectly! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo
    My cousin has 3 kids and they all have autism. It pisses her the fuck off when people try to use her kids to justify refusing to vaccinate. Her spouse spent several years of his childhood in a country where kids still die from vaccine preventable illness. Despite how difficult it is to raise 3 autistic kids her spouse frequently says he would rather have live, healthy autistic kids than dead ones.

Anniversary
  • antreeta1 said:
    I am a nurse in a clinic at a Veteran's Hospital.  I give multiple vaccines daily to adults.

Because they haven't seen these diseases first hand like their parents' generation and all the generation before their parents did. They don't realize the truly horrible diseases they are putting their children at risk for. It's just another example of the ignorance of anti-vaxxers.

• I was just watching a documentary that was discussing this very subject.  It was very interesting.  Apparently, for "herd immunity" to truly work, 95% of the population needs to be vaccinated.  Even going slightly below that can cause catastrophic events.

They gave an example from France.  In recent years, people have been vacinnating their children less and only about 91% of the population has been vaccinated for (I think) measles.  (I might have the specific disease wrong).  An unvaccinated 10-year-old girl and her family came home to Paris from a vacation in Austria and the young lady had contracted measles there.  Within one week, three other girls at her school contracted measles.  Within one year from that initial outbreak, thousands of people all across France had contracted measles and some had died from it.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait.... wait. She's pissed that doctors want to do things on their own schedules? Oh, right, because it's 1875 and they're supposed to be making house calls every time she snaps her precious little fingers. Ok, got it. 
  • I don't frequent this board often, but this post and all other anti-vaccine movements make me want to throw things at these idiots. I almost died 3 years ago because of this idiotic movement, and I most likely have permanent lung damage according to multiple pulmonologists due to a severe case of whopping cough as an adultI was a long distance runner before getting sick, and now I can't even run a mile without breaking out into a coughing fit. 

I went to college in a small town in the middle of no where, and I am pretty sure that many of these anti-vaccine people sent their kids to college there or lived in the town (huge Amish population as well). The doctors kept misdiagnosing me because I had my booster shot a year before, and kept saying that it couldn't be whooping cough. Until I ended up in the hospital, for a week, and they finally tested me for it, and it came back positive. I have read some studies that the pertussis virus that we are vaccinated against can mutate in people who aren't vaccinated, so then the mutated virus can make vaccinated people very ill as well. 

I remember having one coughing fit so severe while in the hospital that I felt myself turning blue because I couldn't catch my breath. I kept hitting the call button in the room for nurses/doctors/etc to come, and they weren't coming fast enough. I thought I was going to die that night, but right before passing out from lack of oxygen the coughing stopped and I caught my breath. Only then did the nurses show up. That's not something that I would wish on my worst enemy normally, but these idiots fully deserve it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards