Snarky Brides

Honey fund

Re: Honey fund

• You know what, I am so sold on the wine idea. I will get them a nice bottle of wine and some wine glasses.. Maybe I will throw in a nice decanter too. 
  • @zitiqueen @ashley8918

Took care of it :)

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Ideas: something fancy from William Sonoma- I always enjoy using my moms fancy stuff even though I'm not much of a cook. Bath sheets: we registered for $40 bath sheets and I really don't care who side eyes these, because if no one buys them, we will. Bath sheets are the most amazing luxurious thing on the universe. Wine: wine is always good. You can combine this with super super fancy wine glasses. What about champagne and champagne glasses? A lot of people have red and white wine glasses but maybe not champagne glasses. Then it's celebratory and they CAN use it on their honeymoon. A puppy: then they can start training to be parents! I am joking about this one, DO NOT give animals as gifts. Gift cards, but to cool places: BB&B maybe not, but Lowes or restaurants they like could be really thoughtful, especially if you include a note about how this made you think of them, and you hope they can use it to lovely up their house/enjoy a great night out/etc.
  • there's always the option to gift them an experience...
    Like dinner for two on a dinner boat cruise, or paintball, couples massage, treetop trekking.

Whatever kind of thing they're into.

That way they get to make a memory
  • I thought about that too, but we are also kind of on a budget and like the idea of gifting them wine and a nice wine accesory like a decanter or glasses. They love wine and so do we so I think its an appropriate gift. 
  • perdonami said:
    I thought about that too, but we are also kind of on a budget and like the idea of gifting them wine and a nice wine accesory like a decanter or glasses. They love wine and so do we so I think its an appropriate gift. 
    Sounds great to me. But still... in case you change your mind...

And....

That's Miracle, Beyonce's mailbox friend.

I don't know why, but for some reason when I saw this post I almost spit water on my keyboard. Could you imagine the thank you card for giving this to someone? 

"Thank you for the metal rooster, we love having it in our home."
    or
    "Thank you for the metal rooster mailbox, our mailman and neighbors just adore it."
    or
    "Thank you for the enormous metal rooster lawn ornament, our home now looks complete."
  • Definitely feel free to give them a gift if you prefer. I also enjoy giving gifts more and have for anyone I'm close to even if they don't register. When people do register, I try to order their gift off it early so I have my pick of fun items. 

However, in your cousins' defense a teeny bit, specifically about the cutesy poem... maybe whoever hosted the shower selected the poem and it was her way of trying to convey your cousins' wishes? I hope so. I recently co-hosted a baby shower and just trying to convey the registry info was awkward. 
  • Wegl13 said:
    Ideas: something fancy from William Sonoma- I always enjoy using my moms fancy stuff even though I'm not much of a cook. Bath sheets: we registered for $40 bath sheets and I really don't care who side eyes these, because if no one buys them, we will. Bath sheets are the most amazing luxurious thing on the universe. Wine: wine is always good. You can combine this with super super fancy wine glasses. What about champagne and champagne glasses? A lot of people have red and white wine glasses but maybe not champagne glasses. Then it's celebratory and they CAN use it on their honeymoon. A puppy: then they can start training to be parents! I am joking about this one, DO NOT give animals as gifts. Gift cards, but to cool places: BB&B maybe not, but Lowes or restaurants they like could be really thoughtful, especially if you include a note about how this made you think of them, and you hope they can use it to lovely up their house/enjoy a great night out/etc.
    ...I wouldn't have a problem with getting a puppy. I know it's a very poor decision in general, but I could see FILs giving us pet accessories and then going to the shelter with us if they knew we were looking to get a puppy quickly after getting married.

In general though: POOR IDEA STAY AWAY
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Wegl13 said:
    Ideas: something fancy from William Sonoma- I always enjoy using my moms fancy stuff even though I'm not much of a cook. Bath sheets: we registered for $40 bath sheets and I really don't care who side eyes these, because if no one buys them, we will. Bath sheets are the most amazing luxurious thing on the universe. Wine: wine is always good. You can combine this with super super fancy wine glasses. What about champagne and champagne glasses? A lot of people have red and white wine glasses but maybe not champagne glasses. Then it's celebratory and they CAN use it on their honeymoon. A puppy: then they can start training to be parents! I am joking about this one, DO NOT give animals as gifts. Gift cards, but to cool places: BB&B maybe not, but Lowes or restaurants they like could be really thoughtful, especially if you include a note about how this made you think of them, and you hope they can use it to lovely up their house/enjoy a great night out/etc.
    ...I wouldn't have a problem with getting a puppy. I know it's a very poor decision in general, but I could see FILs giving us pet accessories and then going to the shelter with us if they knew we were looking to get a puppy quickly after getting married.

In general though: POOR IDEA STAY AWAY
    I would love to get a puppy too. I've already joked to FI about getting one for our wedding so we can spend our "Honeymoon" (week off for funsies) training it. I want a puppy. And they're expensive. So a gift puppy is a great idea!

Although yeah, probably not actually a great gift idea. But SO FUN to pick out.

ETA: I don't know how to quote people yet. Ooops.
  • perdonami said:
    I don't know why, but for some reason when I saw this post I almost spit water on my keyboard. Could you imagine the thank you card for giving this to someone? 

"Thank you for the metal rooster, we love having it in our home."
    or
    "Thank you for the metal rooster mailbox, our mailman and neighbors just adore it."
    or
    "Thank you for the enormous metal rooster lawn ornament, our home now looks complete."
    I particularly like the idea of giving someone a giant rooster if they live in a city condo with a teeny tiny balcony.
  • I don't think having a Honeyfund is in any way tacky or unclassy. My fiancé and I own our own home and don't need anything to "start our lives together" so we're asking in lieu of gifts, so please donate to our honeyfund so we can have a decent honeymoon. I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if people are inclined to already give us a gift. Why not specify what we could honestly really use?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't think having a Honeyfund is in any way tacky or unclassy. My fiancé and I own our own home and don't need anything to "start our lives together" so we're asking in lieu of gifts, so please donate to our honeyfund so we can have a decent honeymoon. I see nothing wrong with it. Especially if people are inclined to already give us a gift. Why not specify what we could honestly really use?
    You do realize that people contributing to your honeymoon is in fact a gift from them right?  So a honeyfund isn't really an in lieu of gift thing.  You are still getting a gift.

Specifiying is fine, but doing so in the form of a honeyfund is classless. You cannot outright ask people for money. I mean, you can, but then they will conspire to give you metal roosters. Not having a registry is polite people speak for "we don't want stuff, give us money". It is polite because you are not actually asking anyone for money. See the difference?

Also honeyfund takes a cut of your gifts, which is basically an idiot tax, and only idiots pay those. Ditch honeyfund, skip registering, and people will give you cash. Everyone knows money is a good gift. No one needs honeyfund to remind them.
  • Wow, you're rude.

Each person is entitled to their own opinions.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Wow, you're rude.

Not sure who you are talking about but no one was rude to you.  Like you they have their opinions about this and their opinion is that a honeyfund is rude.

• I just do not appreciate being told what to do with my own wedding plans. She was very rude in her response to me. Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want with their wedding. Period. People register for gifts, it's the same thing. I don't appreciate the tone, that is all. I would never talk to someone like that, especially since she knows nothing of my circumstances. But thanks.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Needless to say, no need for a response to me. I'm done with this thread.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think it's hilarious when people GBCK from the snarky brides board.
  • Wow, you're rude.

Yes, and @beethery gave you hers.

• perdonamiperdonami member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014
    Little semi-update:

I broke down and just gave cash as it was easier for me and my husband, that and I didn't want to burden the couple by bringing a gift to their wedding. 

I regret giving them cash (or any gift for that matter) as I just attended one of the rudest weddings ever.

When we arrived there was a quite stern lady that was yelling at the guests as they arrived to not enter into the reception area. We were instead directed to an area where we were allowed to stand next to a make-shift bar that was fully stocked but were not allowed to order from. 

I noticed that there were a lot of folks carrying around sodas, beers, mixed drinks (which were only available for VIPS) and wine. I realized that these were the VIPs that were allowed into the reception area. 

Ceremony started 45 minutes late and when some guests went to where the ceremony was going to be held in order to have a seat rather than stand, they were sent away by same stern lady. So, I regretted wearing heels that day.

After the ceremony, me and my in-laws were asked to stay for photos during cocktail hour which we were happy to oblige despite wanting to get something to drink.. its been a few hours now since we have eaten or drank anything.

When we were seated for dinner, we were sat outside and away from where the rest of the reception was. We couldn't see anything or hear anything. We were also one of the last tables to go get dinner. As we were getting up to leave, the groom came to visit tables away from his reception after he had finished eating his dinner. I didn't mind going last as someone has to go last, but it pissed me off when he drunkenly asked, "You guys haven't eaten yet?"

A bunch of his other family members were complaining to him as why he sat them so far away from the rest of the party as we left to get our food. When we came back, those tables who were complaining had already left. So, it was just us and one other table that stayed of the once full six tables. 

I peaked over at the reception and it seemed nice and pretty which left me feeling kind of bad; we were obviously not as important and were considered second rate guests. While we were getting our food apparently the reception continued on and we missed  a lot of the speeches but we couldn't hear or see anything anyway. 

My husband had hurt feelings because he said family should have been part of the reception and his cousin (the groom) must feel close to them because we were asked to take pictures with them. I said, it shouldn't matter whether your family or not, its rude to have your guests seated away from the reception. 

I never met the bride and only met the groom when I shook his hand at our receiving line thanking him for attending our wedding. 

To make matters worse, while I was waiting to get a glass of wine and mineral water (cause ladies you know I needed the wine at that point), I saw one of the groomsmen who is also my husbands cousin staring at me. I walked up and introduced myself saying that I was his cousin's wife. He replied, "yeah I know who you are I just didn't care to say hello."

Well then. 

But, hey at least there wasn't a cash bar...

ETA: I have trouble with words today. 

• Fuuuuuuuuuuck those people. What a bag of dicks, the lot of them!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Dude, your husbands cousins SUCCCCK.

Anniversary
    Well no, you wouldn't see anything wrong with it, person who put one up, would you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards