Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dollar Dance?

Re: Dollar Dance?

• Options
    Nigerians also do the dollar dance.  I wouldn't be offended if it was a Nigerian wedding and they had this dance b/c it's part of their culture.  But if you're not into it, then don't do it, b/c it has a high potential to be awkward.
    Would you be offended if it were a Czechoslovakian wedding or a Polish wedding? It's part of their culture too.
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:
    Nigerians also do the dollar dance.  I wouldn't be offended if it was a Nigerian wedding and they had this dance b/c it's part of their culture.  But if you're not into it, then don't do it, b/c it has a high potential to be awkward.
    Would you be offended if it were a Czechoslovakian wedding or a Polish wedding? It's part of their culture too.
    Nope, b/c that's the person's culture.  
  • Options
    nicole4793nicole4793 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2014
    I think that the Dollar Dance is a tad bit tacky, but my family is expecting me to do it at my wedding because of my Polish roots..... An excuse for my babcia to put me in a babushka haha! Although I do think it's kind of tacky, I think it's really nice to have time to dance individually with every guest. I'mt not a fan of asking for more money, but it's only $1. t's not like you're expecting $20s. That being said, go with your gut feeling. If you don't want to do it, then don't. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm from the Midwest and I've been to one wedding with a dollar dance. I thought it was kind of tacky, but I understand if it is something expected in families. Don't do it if you don't want to, it is your wedding. Seriously.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

I'm polish and my family loves this tradition. They purposely ball up/knot the money (some even soak it in water to make it especially difficult to open) to give the bride and groom a hard time while opening. It's also a tradition in my family to stage a mock wedding at the reception where the men dress up as the bridal party and women dress up as the groomsmen and have a little comedy skit. While I think this is pretty tacky it's one of those traditions that we'll probably still do.

Bottom line, it's your wedding, do what you like.

• Options

I'm polish and my family loves this tradition. They purposely ball up/knot the money (some even soak it in water to make it especially difficult to open) to give the bride and groom a hard time while opening. It's also a tradition in my family to stage a mock wedding at the reception where the men dress up as the bridal party and women dress up as the groomsmen and have a little comedy skit. While I think this is pretty tacky it's one of those traditions that we'll probably still do.

Wait what??? Is this really a thing? I have never heard of it and if I was a WP member I would be mortified if someone asked me to do this. You WP are not actors/comedians (well they might be IRL...), why on earth would you subject them to that?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

That sounds utterly god awful.

• Options

I would like an explanation for this, please. What sort of a tradition is this? Where did it start, and why?
  • Options

Anniversary

• Options

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

If I were asked to dress up as a groomsman for a comedy skit, I would decline to do so.  I agreed to wear a specified dress and walk down the aisle.  I did not agree to playact, let alone cross-dress.  Get your laughs somewhere else.

• Options
    I'm still waiting for an explanation. Because enquiring minds want to know. I really have to know this thing. Do other people do this, or just one family, and how did this start?
  • Options
    @Knottie87374132, care to elaborate?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am from a highly concentrated Polish and Czech area and I've never heard of that tradition. Is it just your family? 
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant that I've never heard of the dressing up the wedding party as an opposite sex. I posted this topic so I do know what a dollar dance is, I was just wondering what that tradition was that someone mentioned a few posts ago. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant that I've never heard of the dressing up the wedding party as an opposite sex. I posted this topic so I do know what a dollar dance is, I was just wondering what that tradition was that someone mentioned a few posts ago. 
    Exactly. The dollar dance is sadly well known, but the cross dressing wedding skit is a brand new tradition. 

(Being "part Polish" and having a Slovak grandpa doesn't remove the rudeness of asking guests for money. If your genuine focus is on preserving tradition, why not do the sharing of the bread and salt? That's a beautiful Eastern European tradition, honors your anscestory, and is not crass. Funny how the deep and meaningful traditions have disappeared, but the money grubbing one remains.)
  • Options
    karbear1234 I love that song! I think it' so sweet that your grandmother is making you a headpiece with material from her veil. :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure where it originated, or if its only in my family as I've never seen it at any other weddings. It's done by family members who volunteer and many get a good laugh out of it. Not sure if I'll be doing it at my more formal wedding
  • Options

I'm not sure where it originated, or if its only in my family as I've never seen it at any other weddings. It's done by family members who volunteer and many get a good laugh out of it. Not sure if I'll be doing it at my more formal wedding

I recommend shutting that shit down. At best it's super awkward, at worse it's down right offensive.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I love the dollar dance... as a little girl in our mexican family it was always the funnest part of the wedding. Every time I went to a wedding I looked forward to the dollar dance. We will have one at ours because they are fun and our family enjoys them too. Its always been a time where everyone gets extra funny on the dance floor. I don't care if its tacky... We are also having a cash bar and taco people come out to make all the food. So our wedding will be totally awesome and fun and laid back. If they don't want to pin a dollar they don't have to... but they will definitely enjoy watching everyone else who does. :)
  • Options
    I love the dollar dance... as a little girl in our mexican family it was always the funnest part of the wedding. Every time I went to a wedding I looked forward to the dollar dance. We will have one at ours because they are fun and our family enjoys them too. Its always been a time where everyone gets extra funny on the dance floor. I don't care if its tacky... We are also having a cash bar and taco people come out to make all the food. So our wedding will be totally awesome and fun and laid back. If they don't want to pin a dollar they don't have to... but they will definitely enjoy watching everyone else who does. :)
    Well aren't you special. 
  • Options
    So between the dollar dance, the cash bar and sending your invites out 5 months early you get an "A" in bad wedding planning.

As for the bolded.  I have sat through a ton of dollar dances and never once did I enjoy watching them.  In fact I was bored off my ass.

• Options
    esstee33 said:

Well aren't you special. 

I think it's the pinning of the dollar bills that gets me. Yeah, someone holding a bag is tacky as well, but the pinning just sends it into over the top tacky. And well, sexist? I mean, are they pinning dollars to the groom as well? Why is it just the woman who has to dance with whoever waves a dollar bill and let them attach it to her dress.

Like shit, bust out a pole and g - string and work for it. Stripping is the honest dollar dance.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My family usually does the Dollar Dance, and people are bored. Bored bored bored. Most go outside to smoke. Others sit around chatting, waiting for the dancing to start again.

Cash bars are double tacky.
  • Options
    Tradition does not mean unavoidable necessity. That's all I've got.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I love the dollar dance... as a little girl in our mexican family it was always the funnest part of the wedding. Every time I went to a wedding I looked forward to the dollar dance. We will have one at ours because they are fun and our family enjoys them too. Its always been a time where everyone gets extra funny on the dance floor. I don't care if its tacky I am rude and tacky to my loved ones who are so important to me that I invited them, and they attended and witnessed one of the most important day of my life.  Fuck those people because money... We are also having a cash bar and taco people come out to make all the food. So our wedding will be totally awesome and fun and laid back. If they don't want to pin a dollar they don't have to... but they will definitely enjoy watching everyone else who does. :)
    FIFY

• Options
    You are funny.... good thing you arent invited :)
  • Options
    These replies to my post all made me smile. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards