Chit Chat

The baby question.....

Re: The baby question.....

• I didnt think anyone cared thatt she got pregnant on her honeymoon. I thought people were surprised that she announced her pregnancy so early. I beleive she announced at 8 weeks. Most people wait until 12 weeks when your chances of miscarrying significantly drop.

Note: I didnt read other comments, sorry if this has already been discussed.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Kahlyla said:
    emmaaa said:

I'm a little taken back by the comments regarding religion. It is one thing to not believe in a certain thing but another thing entirely to condemn people for believing. (Yes, I agree that CMG's comment was OOT but it was made with good intentions....I think).
    I'm an atheist who tries to NEVER condemn people for believing, but what I do find a little hard to swallow is when people insist on stating things as fact that are actually only valid within their belief systems. I personally don't go around stating "There is no God, God doesn't exist" - I will always preface it with "I believe..." or "I don't believe...", or "My personal feeling is that...".

And I feel like if atheists did go around doing the former, many people would find it very offensive, yet we're supposed to just accept it and see it as good-intentioned when Christians do the same. And when they literally persist in doing so even after they're asked, "what about for people who don't believe in God?" Wow. That's incredibly dismissive and patronizing, and again, imagine if the roles were inverted. Imagine if we were talking not just about the conception of babies but about our loved ones who've passed away. We're all supposed to just be okay with Christians reminding us that our loved ones are in Heaven now (and yes, many persist in doing so even if they know we don't believe - as CMG was so happy to demonstrate), but you know, there are very good reasons why I don't go around telling people, "Actually, there is no Heaven, your grandmother is just worm food now, neener neener neener. It doesn't matter if you don't actually believe that, it's still true."

At some point, just stop. At least when people specifically ask you to (not you personally, emmaaa). It really doesn't apply to or help everyone, and erring on the side of God does not automatically make it okay.
    Damn straight! 

I'm an atheist Jew (wrap your head around THAT) and I hide both in most cases just to avoid the whole "omg why? really?" and so on, awkward invasive conversation and being judged. 

In almost every situation, I think it's best to just leave religion out of it, because you never know who you might offend or make uncomfortable. In the spirit of the penis analogy, just keep it in your pants. 
    Q/BFT.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery, I'm still learning. What does Q/BFT mean? 
    Quoted/bolded for truth. (Usually seen as QFT without the B, if that helps!)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
    QFT means 'quoted for truth' so I made it Q/BFT to mean quoted/bolded for truth.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

Quoted/bolded for truth. (Usually seen as QFT without the B, if that helps!)

beethery said:
    beethery, I'm still learning. What does Q/BFT mean? 
    QFT means 'quoted for truth' so I made it Q/BFT to mean quoted/bolded for truth.
    Oh, thanks! Learning so much from TK :)
  •  I'm an atheist Jew (wrap your head around THAT) and I hide both in most cases just to avoid the whole "omg why? really?" and so on, awkward invasive conversation and being judged. 

In almost every situation, I think it's best to just leave religion out of it, because you never know who you might offend or make uncomfortable. In the spirit of the penis analogy, just keep it in your pants. 
    I just have a quick question on this; I have the understanding that Jew is a religion. And, again my understanding, it is a religion where they believe that the bible is their truth, however, they do not believe that Jesus is a savior but just a prophet. Thus, they still believe in GOD. But, your saying that you don't believe in GOD by saying your antheist, correct? So what does your form of JEW mean?

Also, just to add to the above threads, Christians believe in the Devil being just as real as GOD, so yes horrible things like miscarriages do happen, but its our belief that they are not CAUSED by GOD but the devil testing us. OPINION STATMENT. 
  • Thanks for that explinantion, where does the culture orginate from? 

I should just google it lol
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
     I'm an atheist Jew (wrap your head around THAT) and I hide both in most cases just to avoid the whole "omg why? really?" and so on, awkward invasive conversation and being judged. 

I just have a quick question on this; I have the understanding that Jew is a religion. And, again my understanding, it is a religion where they believe that the bible is their truth, however, they do not believe that Jesus is a savior but just a prophet. Thus, they still believe in GOD. But, your saying that you don't believe in GOD by saying your antheist, correct? So what does your form of JEW mean?

Also, just to add to the above threads, Christians believe in the Devil being just as real as GOD, so yes horrible things like miscarriages do happen, but its our belief that they are not CAUSED by GOD but the devil testing us. OPINION STATMENT. 
    "Jewish" is a culture in addition to a religion. It is possible to come from Jewish lineage and not believe Jewish teachings.
    Yep. lolo is right. I was raised Jewish, it's a culture, a community, and a history. I'll always be Jewish. You do not have to be religious to be Jewish. And no, we absolutely do not follow the bible. We follow the Torah, which other religions such as Christians adapted into the First Testament. Therefore, the First Testament IS the Torah. 

ETA: No, Jew is not a religion. Judaism is a religion.  
  •  I'm an atheist Jew (wrap your head around THAT) and I hide both in most cases just to avoid the whole "omg why? really?" and so on, awkward invasive conversation and being judged. 

"Jewish" is a culture in addition to a religion. It is possible to come from Jewish lineage and not believe Jewish teachings.
    Yup. There are also Jewish Bhuddists. It's cool! I can get into some Bhuddism stuff, and they tend to be very welcoming to everybody. It's nice.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Thank you thats very interesting. Isn't the Torah the old testiment? That's what I thought i've been taught but I'm probably wrong. 

I really do appreciate you explaining for my curiousity :)
  • Buddhism has some awesome awesome teachings. I'm a fan. 
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    Thank you thats very interesting. Isn't the Torah the old testiment? That's what I thought i've been taught but I'm probably wrong. 

The Torah existed long before the Old Testament. Judaism pre-dates Christianity; Christ was a Jew, Christianity obviously could not exist until after Chris existed. The Old Testament is the Torah, as I've already explained. Google is your friend.  

ETA: You're being taught about the bible by an atheist Jew, for the record. 
  • Thank you thats very interesting. Isn't the Torah the old testiment? That's what I thought i've been taught but I'm probably wrong. 

The Torah existed long before the Old Testament. Judaism pre-dates Christianity; Christ was a Jew, Christianity obviously could not exist until after Chris existed. The Old Testament is the Torah, as I've already explained. Google is your friend.  

I thought the Torah was just the first 5 books of the OT...?

I thought the Torah was just the first 5 books of the OT...?
    Probably. That's the extent of my bible knowledge :P 
  • slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    emmaaa said: Kahlyla said: emmaaa said: ...
    I'm a little taken back by the comments regarding religion. It is one thing to not believe in a certain thing but another thing entirely to condemn people for believing. (Yes, I agree that CMG's comment was OOT but it was made with good intentions....I think). I'm an atheist who tries to NEVER condemn people for believing, but what I do find a little hard to swallow is when people insist on stating things as fact that are actually only valid within their belief systems. I personally don't go around stating "There is no God, God doesn't exist" - I will always preface it with "I believe..." or "I don't believe...", or "My personal feeling is that...".

And I feel like if atheists did go around doing the former, many people would find it very offensive, yet we're supposed to just accept it and see it as good-intentioned when Christians do the same. And when they literally persist in doing so even after they're asked, "what about for people who don't believe in God?" Wow. That's incredibly dismissive and patronizing, and again, imagine if the roles were inverted. Imagine if we were talking not just about the conception of babies but about our loved ones who've passed away. We're all supposed to just be okay with Christians reminding us that our loved ones are in Heaven now (and yes, many persist in doing so even if they know we don't believe - as CMG was so happy to demonstrate), but you know, there are very good reasons why I don't go around telling people, "Actually, there is no Heaven, your grandmother is just worm food now, neener neener neener. It doesn't matter if you don't actually believe that, it's still true."

At some point, just stop. At least when people specifically ask you to (not you personally, emmaaa). It really doesn't apply to or help everyone, and erring on the side of God does not automatically make it okay.
    No, I agree with what you said. No one deserves to have someone else's views forced upon them. If CMG had said:"I think God plays a hand in deciding when a couple is or is not ready for a baby. Even for adoptive parents" it may have been received better by stating that it is her belief and not fact. 
    ------------------------

Absolutely.  I would have been much more receptive if a reply had come in the form of, "Well,
    I believe that God has a plan, even for those who do not believe in him".  I might not have agreed, but hey, that's cool, and I can respect your belief.  What I can't respect is the "well, I KNOW what's right, and you're wrong" sort of attitude I got from those posts.

Oh, and in medieval art, Jesus / God was represented in several different shapes, and Unicorn was one of them.

You just made me melt with happiness--YAY ART HISTORY!  /fangirl  

ETA: urgh boxes
    Anniversary

• @novella1186, here's what I found ... this site seems legit.

http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm
  • @novella1186, here's what I found ... this site seems legit.

http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm
    Yep. Some things are hard to explain to people, like when my friend in high school asked me where I "go to church for Jewish." 

Which is why, like I said in an earlier post, I almost always hide the fact that I'm Jewish or I just don't bother to mention it. I don't mind bringing up on TK, though, since all you Knotties seem pretty alright :) 
  • MagicInk said:
    People are weird about us having kids. Some people really want us to have kids and they want to know when that's gonna happen and can that happen right now. Other people think we're evil sinners on the express train to hell who only want to have children to streghthen our homo ranks and/or molest them. But those two groups don't make up the majority of the kid questions we get. No the majority isn't interested in when we'll have kids, or if we'll have kids but rather HOW we'll have kids.

Now I get it, the heteros are fascinated by the homos procreating. But asking people at a cocktail party who will carry the baby, why she's carrying and I'm not, where will we get the sperm from, whose sperm is it, am I worried about not being the "real mom", is not fucking appropriate. Get it together straight people. Google this shit. Also, we're both very much the "real mom", we're both the women in the relationship, we'll both be the mom, we'll both be the wife. Got it? Two women, no men, that's how a lesbian relationship typically works. 

As for "God's plan" well a lot of those previous mentioned people who would prefer we don't procreate, don't think we're part of "God's plan". Or if we are, his plan is for us to wake up one day and wanna fuck dick. And baby that's ain't happening.

I have gotten some people say "Well it'll just happen, you can't plan for it", lemme tell you something, if I just wake up knocked up one day I'm gonna have a lot of fucking questions. 
    Wait, people have said that to you...knowing you're a lesbian in a committed relationship (with another lesbian, just to clarify!)? I just...I don't know how they think any kind of planning could possibly NOT be involved. I agree that it's embarrassing to go around asking gay couples about the intimate logistics of how their offspring came to be, but to ignore the fact that there ARE logistics...wow. People are pretty dumb.
  • MagicInk said:
    People are weird about us having kids. Some people really want us to have kids and they want to know when that's gonna happen and can that happen right now. Other people think we're evil sinners on the express train to hell who only want to have children to streghthen our homo ranks and/or molest them. But those two groups don't make up the majority of the kid questions we get. No the majority isn't interested in when we'll have kids, or if we'll have kids but rather HOW we'll have kids.

Now I get it, the heteros are fascinated by the homos procreating. But asking people at a cocktail party who will carry the baby, why she's carrying and I'm not, where will we get the sperm from, whose sperm is it, am I worried about not being the "real mom", is not fucking appropriate. Get it together straight people. Google this shit. Also, we're both very much the "real mom", we're both the women in the relationship, we'll both be the mom, we'll both be the wife. Got it? Two women, no men, that's how a lesbian relationship typically works. 

As for "God's plan" well a lot of those previous mentioned people who would prefer we don't procreate, don't think we're part of "God's plan". Or if we are, his plan is for us to wake up one day and wanna fuck dick. And baby that's ain't happening.

I have gotten some people say "Well it'll just happen, you can't plan for it", lemme tell you something, if I just wake up knocked up one day I'm gonna have a lot of fucking questions. 
    What in the hell!?!?! Like one morning, you'll wake up and there will be a baby on your doorstep. 
  • MagicInk said:

What in the hell!?!?! Like one morning, you'll wake up and there will be a baby on your doorstep. 
    If it is God's plan, it just might happen. It might happen to you too, all your trying to avoid pregnancy. God's just gonna cram a kid your house when you're not looking and then you'll have a fucking kid like you're supposed too!
  • ]
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

If it is God's plan, it just might happen. It might happen to you too, all your trying to avoid pregnancy. God's just gonna cram a kid your house when you're not looking and then you'll have a fucking kid like you're supposed too!
    Well some of the political attack ads running in my area right now make it sound like politicians will climb into my window and give me an abortion; I wonder how that fits into the plan.

• MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

Wait, people have said that to you...knowing you're a lesbian in a committed relationship (with another lesbian, just to clarify!)? I just...I don't know how they think any kind of planning could possibly NOT be involved. I agree that it's embarrassing to go around asking gay couples about the intimate logistics of how their offspring came to be, but to ignore the fact that there ARE logistics...wow. People are pretty dumb.
    Yup. A few times it's been just the basic platitude. "When are you guys having kids?", "Oh, ya know we're waiting for the right time", "Well ya know, it could just happen, can't plan for everything"...and then we stare blankly until it clicks. The good news there is they're usually well meaning and just giving a standard canned response. So at least they're treating us just like straight people! (I think that was the goal)

Sometimes they say it to me when I say "While I desire to be a mother, I do not ever desire to get pregnant, so I'm gonna knock this one up instead", and what they mean is one day I'll wake up with a desperate need to fill my uterus. Please, my uterus is where I store the vodka. That's no place for a child.

I've heard variations when FI will express a worry about us being able to conceive, or if she talks about how she's learning charting and temping, they'll say something like "Oh you can't plan everything, just let it happen naturally!" and she explains she's a lesbian and they give the same fucking advice.
    I have missed you, and gems like the bolded. NEVER LEAVE US.
  • ]
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

Well some of the political attack ads running in my area right now make it sound like politicians will climb into my window and give me an abortion; I wonder how that fits into the plan.
    The other side will come into your window and shove a baby in there. 
  • MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

The other side will come into your window and shove a baby in there. 
    As long as they don't wake me up. I'm trying to sleep, yo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards