Chit Chat

How did you meet?

Re: How did you meet?

• V and I met in mineralogy class ( it's a geology class). At first he thought I didn't like him though but thtas because I was nervous around him. My coworkers found out liked him and told him. He asked me out Japanese food and we walk around a park after he saw an awful movie haha. He kissed me by his car and we have ben gather ever since.
  • I love reading these.  I'm always wondering how people meet!

DH and I met on Yahoo Chat/YIM.  I only talked to him because he wasnt trying to see my boobies and he was the only canadian in the room at the time so we friended each other and chatted in private.  I was being cheeky and teased him and he snapped at me.  Okay, fine, you're a dink, see ya. I blocked him but didn't delete him.  

A few weeks later I unblocked him just to see if he'd message me again (oh, me and my games, ugh) and remembered me and he wasn't being a dink this time.  I started liking him and looking forward to talking to him.  BUT he was in a relationship and I remember being devastated.  

I remember saying to myself "Whatever, girlfriends come and go." and we kept talking.  Eventually I moved to the city for school and he agreed to show me around.  The girlfriend was out of the picture so I put on a bit more charm.  It must have worked.  We met face to face September 2nd 2005, our first date was September 15, and we were 'going steady' September 24th.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Speed dating at the library.

My good friend is a librarian who organized the event.  She forced me into going because she was afraid no one would show up.  Almost immediately after she called me to find out why I didn't write down the name of the guy with the hat because he wrote down mine and put 3 exclamation marks beside it.  I couldn't remember who he was but she talked me into allowing her to send him my contact info. 

Married the guy with the hat 2.5 years later!

• Completely uninteresting story for us. We went to high school together - I knew of him, he didn't know me. He was dating a girl that was the cousin/BFF of my BF's ex girlfriend. He was with her forever and years later, my sister ended up working at the bank with him. He had just broken up with his high school girlfriend and I was newly single but not ready to be set up. Fast forward a few months - he's still single and good friends with my roommate. I told my roommate he was super cute and to hook me up with him. She passed the info along and the rest is history!
  • I love reading all of these stories!

FI is my BIL's best friend since childhood.

FI and I had tried to get together for a hike in early 2010, but it didn't work out.  We still talk about how happy we are that we didn't meet in person because at that time, we had so much work to do on ourselves.

We finally met in person in late 2011 (at a party for BIL), and hit it off right away.  He impressed me with his beard and outdoors-ness.  I impressed him with my rack and beer knowledge.  At the time, we were living 4 hours apart, so we were driving to see each other almost every weekend.  I moved in with him 7 months after we started dating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Eharmony. He was my first Eharm date and I think I was like his 5th. Only had to pay for one month! BONUS!!!!
  • I love reading all of these stories!

FI is my BIL's best friend since childhood.

FI and I had tried to get together for a hike in early 2010, but it didn't work out.  We still talk about how happy we are that we didn't meet in person because at that time, we had so much work to do on ourselves.

We finally met in person in late 2011 (at a party for BIL), and hit it off right away.  He impressed me with his beard and outdoors-ness.  I impressed him with my rack and beer knowledge.  At the time, we were living 4 hours apart, so we were driving to see each other almost every weekend.  I moved in with him 7 months after we started dating.
    To the bolded: LOL!  That's a way to get a man's attention for sure!  Love it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited November 2014
    H and I used to work together, many MANY moons ago, at a Mexican Restaurant.  He told me that the first time he saw me, he said to himself, "Look at that ass. She makes work pants look sexy.  I will date this woman". Lol.
      We were working together for a long while, and would make jokes. Then, one night after closing the restaurant, we got into a little disagreement, he took the sour cream gun and shot me with sour cream (I assure you, this is not a sex reference, this happened). I asked him what he did that for. He said, "I don't want to fight with you, because I'd rather hear you laugh."
      We met out afterward for coffee, so he could apologize for gunning me down, and we stayed until 7 am talking. I realized that he not only has an amazing sense of humor, but he and I shared so many values.  We talked everyday at Denny's for hours, after work.  And I realized I could not just be his friend, and I wanted so much more from him..  That was 13 years ago. To this day he tells people we met over cupid's arrow.  We both know that an actual gun of sour cream just sounds sexual so Cupid's Arrow, it is.
  • I joined POF...yes I said it. I got a friend to join also. She and my now BF were meeting up and she asked me to come along so she wouldn't get raped/stollen/whatever. I told her ok but tell him to have a friend there so I wouldn't be an awkward third wheel.

BF and I ended up sitting across from each other and talking the WHOLE night. Oops? She wasn't interested anyway, which is good lol.

I'm not sure about my religious views, don't know that I ever will be, but I have to say I felt something I have never felt before when I met him. I truly feel like we were meant for each other.
  • Our parents introduced us in church at age 15.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I joined POF...yes I said it. I got a friend to join also. She and my now BF were meeting up and she asked me to come along so she wouldn't get raped/stollen/whatever. I told her ok but tell him to have a friend there so I wouldn't be an awkward third wheel. BF and I ended up sitting across from each other and talking the WHOLE night. Oops? She wasn't interested anyway, which is good lol. I'm not sure about my religious views, don't know that I ever will be, but I have to say I felt something I have never felt before when I met him. I truly feel like we were meant for each other.
    I felt this way about my husband. I always tease him that it's a good thing I found him. (I messaged him first). I'm not religious at all, but I do feel it could be fate. The universe wanted us to be together.

What's also weird is that we worked ~2 miles from each other, and would frequent the same places (grocery store, sporting events). We always say we probably passed each other in the grocery aisle. 

• OKCupid! I'd messaged a few people (they all messaged first) and was browsing because nobody seemed fascinating to me, and somehow wound up finding him. I thought he looked cute, and I was confused by his username. So I messaged him about it. We messaged pretty much constantly, swapped phone numbers, and wound up meeting for real in a Burger King near both of our houses.

Turns out that we came to AU the same time, had lived in neighboring apartment complexes several times, and typically had schedules beginning at the same time every day - which meant we'd likely sat next to each other on the bus to school all through freshman and sophomore years.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We had a programming class together my sophomore year of college, and I was one of two girls in the 60+ person class. One day, both him and his friend saw me before class started and both sat down in the seats next to me, with BF sitting closest to me. He made a sarcastic remark to break the ice, and I gave him a witty response back, and it was an instant connection (Neither of us remember what we said). I actually liked his friend more first, but realized that I had more in common with BF.

We had a few more classes together and decided to be lab partners for one of them the next year. The lab closed at midnight even though we would normally have a few hours worth of work to do on our lab reports by that time, so we would go back to his apartment to finish the work since I lived in my sorority house (there was no where that was quiet in the house to get work done). One thing led to another and we were hanging out more and more, and he kissed me one night when we were both drunk and watching a movie at his place. And things kind of progressed from there and we have been together ever since.

What he later told me is that the day that he sat down next to me, his friend spotted me when they walked into class and made a bet with him that he wouldn't go sit next to me and talk to me. BF took him up on his bet, and I am so glad that he did :).

• NaNoWriMo 2011. We were in the same region, I'd been to a couple of the write-ins in previous years but never really got into the social aspect of it, and he'd never been to one. My best friend was new to NaNo and wanted to try a write-in, but didn't want to go alone, so I went with her. His best friend was new to NaNo and wanted to try a write-in before he went back to his little corner of the country which has no official region, but he didn't drive, so DH went along.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

• I joined POF...yes I said it. I got a friend to join also. She and my now BF were meeting up and she asked me to come along so she wouldn't get raped/stollen/whatever. I told her ok but tell him to have a friend there so I wouldn't be an awkward third wheel.

BF and I ended up sitting across from each other and talking the WHOLE night. Oops? She wasn't interested anyway, which is good lol.

I'm not sure about my religious views, don't know that I ever will be, but I have to say I felt something I have never felt before when I met him. I truly feel like we were meant for each other.

I felt this way about my husband. I always tease him that it's a good thing I found him. (I messaged him first). I'm not religious at all, but I do feel it could be fate. The universe wanted us to be together.

What's also weird is that we worked ~2 miles from each other, and would frequent the same places (grocery store, sporting events). We always say we probably passed each other in the grocery aisle. 

That's so funny! Also very cool. And I'm glad someone else can say the same thing :-) I could probably get more on board with fate than God, but I'm not sure. I don't think everything is just random, though. I'm so confusing lol.

Oh - and @huskypuppy14‌ our names are incredibly similar and I had no idea about that, but I do apologize!
  • @themuffinman16 I worked in a restaurant for a few years and I have no knowledge of this "sour cream gun". But I assure you, I want one. 

• FI and I met at my job-I was the frame shop manager, and he came in to find out about the cost of framing some of his photos.  I ended up showing him a wide variety of choices, some of which he bought, as well as a mat cutter and mats to cut...While we were doing all of this, I asked him what his artwork was, since he hadn't brought any.  He told me he was a wildlife photographer, and I told him I was a wildlife artist, and showed him my artwork on the wall.

I asked him to email me some photos, but never expected to hear from him again.  He emailed me some of his photos the next day, and I was totally blown away!!  I told him how impressed I was, and that I would love to paint some of his photos.  He then asked me out for coffee.

The really funny part was that the day we were supposed to meet for coffee, he was called out to work (oil patch, so pretty much you leave at the drop of a hat...) and he sent me an email, as well as a voicemail, telling me so, and asking me to forgive him.  I told him that I'd spent years working in the oil patch, and knew ALL about the "hurry up and wait/you need to leave yesterday!!" mentality of the oil patch, and just to call when he got back to town.  He was gone for about 3 weeks, and when he got back, he called to set up a time for our date.

Then, he comes into the shop the day before, so we end up with a pre-date date, it was so cute...
    We ended up meeting 3-4 times a week for dinner and driving/talking around town for about a month, then one glorious evening, he invited me over to his place, and I didn't make it home until the next morning (when I did get home, the landlord was up-BUSTED!!! ;)

The rest is history!

Definitely the man of my dreams, and so worth the 17.5 years I spent single!

• Sorry this is a long and confusing one.  You can all decide how you feel about this story. Some people like to tell me I was in the wrong on this, but at the end of it, I have the man of my dreams by my side.

So the summer of 2011 I got my first internship with my current company. I was a sophomore going to be junior in college.  FI also works for this company in a completely different department.  That summer I met a fellow female engineer, were just going to go with BSC to refer to her, with similar interests and we always got along really well.  FI had seen me across the lunch room, and would mention me periodically to his co-workers.

Summer of 2012, I work another internship for the company.  This summer I don't have anywhere in the area to stay, so I talk to BSC. Turns out shes got a house she bought with an ex, and she could use a roommate. PERFECT - or so I thought.  Turns out she had 5 weeks of vacation and work travel planned that summer.  I was only staying with her for 12 weeks. 

She has a 3 bedroom house, and a 5 year old siberian husky.  I love Roxy (the dog), but I was not prepared to have to pay rent that summer to take care of BSC's house and dog while she was gone most of the time.  I also found out around that time that BSC was in fact BSC.  Shortly before I came around that summer, now FI, had starting talking to BSC and they were "dating".  She was a serial dater. 

She was "dating" FI, so that meant sleeping with him, and getting him to buy trips and things for them to go on. She was also sleeping with another one of her friends at that time.  Then there was an ex of hers that she would sleep with. Then a contracted worker at our site that was working under her.  Then at the end of all this, she deicdes shes going to be exclusive with a 5th guy.  Meanwhile FI is such a hopeless romantic he was still trying.  Right before she started to really date guy number 5, FI had booked a trip into NYC.  Hotel, Dinner, Cirque Du Soleil.  She tells FI about 3 days before they are supposed to go to NYC that she has this actual BF, but the BF said its okay and she can still go to the city with FI, as they're just friends.

FI gets mad at this, as this is not the first time BSC had jerked him around.  She gets mad because FI is overreacting and she "has told him in the past it was just fun and she loves his as a friend but will never be in love with him".  Meanwhile all this time I'm just house and dog sitting (while paying her my rent) and watching this all go down.  While also being third wheel on many outings and weekends (the only time she was around) with her and various guys, FI included.

So a few weeks later, shes away again, and I'm home in her house with Roxy.  I post on FB for someone to come keep me and Roxy company and grab food.  FI responds.  We go out to BWWs and have a good time (I knew he was a great guy, and knew this could cause trouble but had no intentions at this point), and she calls me in the middle of our dinner while she had a break during her conference.  I tell her I'm grabbing dinner with FI and she freaks out (mind you, she still has other BF at this point).  

Another week later, after we had grabbed dinner mid week, I invite FI to come with me to a friends birthday party.  Now I'm starting to really like him.  He obliges.  Turns out BSC had the neighbor (she had also previously slept with) watching her driveway and when the neighbor saw FIs car there, he called her.  She calls and wakes us up.  FI had stayed more to take care of drunk me than to try anything.  Tells me to get him off her property, then calls again 10 minutes later and tells me to pack up and get out of her house.

Well now I had no where to go, and 3 weeks left to work. I call FI, he invites me to stay with him and his brother.  We have been inseparable ever since. She will no longer talk to either of us.

At the end of the day, she was messing with FIs head, and i still feel a little remorse for losing a friend, but I am now set to marry the man of my dreams.  10/10/15 cannot come fast enough.  I cant wait to be Mrs. FI.

TL;DR: He was dating my roommate who was BSC, she had another bf at the time but wanted FI there for fooling around when he was gone. FI smartened up and we clicked, she wont talk to either of us anymore but we are completely happy together.
  • okulew29, F those jerks who tell you you're in the wrong. She wasn't actually in a relationship with FI so she had no claim to him. That's a cute story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We actually met back in 2008 through an ex-boyfriend of mine. The ex and I had stayed friends, and we'd see each other often. I came home to visit from DC, and ex was hanging out with my now H. H and I didn't start dating until 2013, after we both had ended relationships. 
  • kvruns said:
    Plenty of fish.com I messaged him and he won't let me forget that I chased him haha
    @kvruns, H & I met through POF, too! He messaged me and the first thing I liked about his profile was that he listed "cow tipping" as a potential first date activity. 
  • FI and I met in Kindergarten and were best friends up until we started dating our senior year of high school. 

• We met on OK Cupid.  His screenname was a Ryan Adams quote and he made mention of loving the Oxford Comma in his profile.  I messaged him, he saw that I loved Phish and had just seen the Northern Lights a few months prior which he's always wanted to do.  Unfortunately after our first 3 messages I completely forgot about him, never responded to him asking me to get drinks (on a thursday.)  That Sunday I had a terrible second date with someone else.  Monday night I went online, saw his message, immediately messaged him and asked him for a drink that night.  Luckily he said yes and we had a 5 hour first date (turns out we both lived on 24th street in NYC just on opposite sides of the city so we met in the middle.)  

• POF for us too.  He messaged me because I mentioned that I had recently taken up running in my profile and he's a marathoner.  We messaged back and forth for a few weeks before finally meeting up in person for pizza and beer.  It was the most comfortable, easy first date ever.  We became exclusive 2 months later and the rest is history.  We later discovered that we had gone to the same college and had lived in the same apartment complex at the same time.  I love to imagine the many times we may have crossed each other's paths without knowing :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2014
    Another Match.com marriage here!

We joke that he paid for 6 months [I did just a month] and met me in 10 days.  We see commercials for it now and joke, "Ugh, what a useless site."  

Edit to add: We had so much in common we wonder how many times we passed each other like ships in the night. Same college, same hobbies, same running route, and we each bought a home on the same street but just a mile apart. It took Match for us to meet? Wish we'd met years earlier. 

• We met on OK Cupid.  His screenname was a Ryan Adams quote and he made mention of loving the Oxford Comma in his profile.  I messaged him, he saw that I loved Phish and had just seen the Northern Lights a few months prior which he's always wanted to do.  Unfortunately after our first 3 messages I completely forgot about him, never responded to him asking me to get drinks (on a thursday.)  That Sunday I had a terrible second date with someone else.  Monday night I went online, saw his message, immediately messaged him and asked him for a drink that night.  Luckily he said yes and we had a 5 hour first date (turns out we both lived on 24th street in NYC just on opposite sides of the city so we met in the middle.)  
    I live on 24th street!!!

We met in college. We met a week into our freshman year. I was with my roomates and this kid we became friends with. He had a crush on me. FI walked into the campus center with 2 of his friends, and the kid we were with became irrationally angry with me because I happened to look at FI (Clearly this person had issues.) To embarrass me, he called them over and introduced them to us. They ended up creeping us out.

Long story short, turned out that FI lived in our dorm, on the 3rd floor. We pretty much became inseparable after that.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• On and off for about 6 years I had a friends with benefits type situation, we'll call him *Fred*. It was super unhealthy because I actually really liked the guy and was basically in the mindset that if I hold on long enough he will eventually realize that we were meant to be. (Like I said, Unhealthy).

So I had been slightly moved on from this situation for about a year when I went through an aweful breakup with a guy who told me that I 'just wasnt the type of girl one marries' and I hate to admit that I went crawling back to Fred to console myself. While at the time I really despised myself for getting back into it, it ended up being the best decision I ever made.

At a party one night with Fred I really hit it off with a girl-friend of his and we ended up adding each other on FB. About a week later she messages me saying that while Fred was her friend, she thought that I was too nice of a girl to be putting up with his shit and basically said straight out that he would never want a relationship with me. It was really hard to hear. But I needed to hear it. She then mentions that there is a guy that she used to work with that was super nice and that she wanted to set me up with him because she thought I deserved better.

That guy she set me up with I am now engaged too. So, I met FI through the friend of a friends with benefits who told me to man up and treat myself better.
  • @pinkcow13 haha seriously?  We live in Chelsea (I've been here for almost 4 years) and he lived on 24th and 2nd when we met!  It would be hilarious if we lived on the same block!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards