Chit Chat
Options

I don't want anyone trying on my engagement ring

Re: I don't want anyone trying on my engagement ring

• Options
    I would hate to see what happens if/when she gets pregnant and her fingers swell.

SIB
    My friend from elementary school refused to take her ering off when she was pregnant. Long story short, it had to be CUT OFF. They cut her ring. 
    Moral of the story: sometimes you just need to take that thing off, for its own sake 
    My mother gained weight over time and wasn't able to take her ring off for 15-20 years.  They finally had to cut her ring off also. By that time she had broken prongs and was lucky that she hadn't lost the diamond (again... she had already lost it once from lack of maintenance).

• Options
    I don't bring my e-ring when we travel or do our usual outdoorsy activities. I wouldn't see that as careLESS, I'd see it as careFUL. I am protecting something that's really important to me from getting damaged or making me a target.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Not very nice to think that just because some of us take our rings off mean we're being careless! If anything, removing your ring while doing some things can mean the complete opposite! I only wear my ring when I leave the house, and only if I'm not going to do any strenuous activities with my hands (like going to the gym or swimming for example).

That way my ring stays nice and clean and shiny most of the time. I understand that it means a lot to you but like pps have said, it'd good for you to relax a bit about. Now for people trying your ring on: it's your choice to let them try it or not. If you don't like the idea, you can just gently tell them you never remove your ring, sorry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not very nice to think that just because some of us take our rings off mean we're being careless! If anything, removing your ring while doing some things can mean the complete opposite! I only wear my ring when I leave the house, and only if I'm not going to do any strenuous activities with my hands (like going to the gym or swimming for example).

That way my ring stays nice and clean and shiny most of the time. I understand that it means a lot to you but like pps have said, it'd good for you to relax a bit about. Now for people trying your ring on: it's your choice to let them try it or not. If you don't like the idea, you can just gently tell them you never remove your ring, sorry. 
    Word. My e-ring was a family ring. It's a large opal surrounded by diamonds. Opals are very soft stones, and can be damaged very easily. I really only wore it when I left the house. Otherwise, it sat in its box. 
  • Options

Word. My e-ring was a family ring. It's a large opal surrounded by diamonds. Opals are very soft stones, and can be damaged very easily. I really only wore it when I left the house. Otherwise, it sat in its box. 

Came in to say the same thing. You better be wearing rubber gloves while cleaning OP, otherwise the cleaning chemicals will destroy that lovely ring of yours.

Anniversary
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:
    I would hate to see what happens if/when she gets pregnant and her fingers swell.

SIB
    My friend from elementary school refused to take her ering off when she was pregnant. Long story short, it had to be CUT OFF. They cut her ring. 
    Moral of the story: sometimes you just need to take that thing off, for its own sake 

This happens a lot after people get engaged.  My friend is an ER doctor and has had to cut off several engagement rings because the girl was too excited and didn't want to wait to get it sized, even though it was too small

I've seen so many pictures online of women wearing too-tight e-rings. Just looking at those pics makes my hand hurt!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I take my ring off when I clean, use Beauty products and when I paint. Guess I'm just careless
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Do you never clean your ring at all? What on earth will you do when it needs maintenance? Which, by the way, will be a lot more frequently if you're wearing it nonstop. It will need the prongs tipped; eventually the shank will wear down too and need replacing; if there are side stones you may lose one; etc, etc.
  • Options
    dcbride86 said:

SIB

This happens a lot after people get engaged.  My friend is an ER doctor and has had to cut off several engagement rings because the girl was too excited and didn't want to wait to get it sized, even though it was too small

I've seen so many pictures online of women wearing too-tight e-rings. Just looking at those pics makes my hand hurt!
    I think mine might look like that but it's just because I have such fat fingers - it fits fine (borderline too loose, actually) where it's supposed to sit but the fat pad above it makes it look like it's strangling my hand.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    dcbride86 said:

SIB

I think mine might look like that but it's just because I have such fat fingers - it fits fine (borderline too loose, actually) where it's supposed to sit but the fat pad above it makes it look like it's strangling my hand.
    I'd sure hope your ring doesn't look like this on you. It just looks... ouchie.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    You have got to be effin kidding me. How did it go on in the first place.

image   image   image

• Options
    No idea. I hope, for the wearer's sake, that it's actually Photoshopped!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    How...how??

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I take my rings and all my jewelry off as soon as I get in the house. I only wear jewelry if I'm out of the house. If someone asked to try it on, I would find that weird, though, and I would simply say that I was not comfortable with that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I am SUPER EXTRA careless then, I can't even tell you how many times I've told people 'OMG HERE TRY ON MY RING!" Especially my friends who haven't gotten engaged yet. Simply because before I was engaged I really loved seeing myself with a ring on. Everyone is different, and I can tell you that I do not even think twice when someone asks to try on my ring.. though most people can't even get it on because it's a size 4.5 so there is that.

Also, I agree with the previous posters who say actually NEVER taking off your ring seems more careless.  I snuck my wedding band on this weekend (I'm crazy) and the difference in cleanliness of my stones on my e-ring compared to my band was INSANE and that's a week after I cleaned it at home and taking it off to shower.  I've been leaving it on when I wash dishes because I don't submerge in water, and when I clean.. I realize now I won't be doing it. 

• Options
    I have to take my ring off for work. Kinda don't want to get blood and guts on it. Plus the setting is one that could puncture gloves, which is frowned upon in the medical world. Certainly doesn't make me any less married.

Plus I'm sure DH likes the fact that I keep it from getting bodily fluids on it. That would not be fun to clean.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I can't tell you how many people who have tried on my ring! Not to mention my Fi's grandmother who wore it for 40+ years before it was given to me! I can't sleep in my ring because my hands swell at night. I also take it off to clean, to put on lotion and cooking. Relax honey. It is a symbol of your love, that is not deminished just because someone else tries it on, or you take it off from time to time.
  • Options
    Tonight my mom put both my rings on. I had them on a ring holder in the kitchen since I had given my dog a bath in the sink. She was bringing them over to me and she had them on her finger, ooing and aweing at the "sparkliness". For a second my heart stopped, and then I got over it, and put my rings back on.

image   image   image

• Options
    I have let so many people try on my ring. I haven't though anything of it. Also I take it off all the time. I'm rough with my hands and my stone is an emerald. I don't want to damage it. I forget who but someone said asking to try on an engagement ring feels the same as asking to try on tthe wedding dress. I let my best and my sister try on my dress. It was nbd. They are only objects. Now if someone asked to try out dh... That I might have a problem with.
  • Options
    I never wore rings before getting engaged. It took a lot of getting used to and a lot of taking it off. Now I only take it off when l'm doing anything with water (i was so insanely paranoid at first that it would fall off and go down a drain!) Or sleeping, or anything where im really using my hands a lot. I'm going to leave it at home when we play tennis this summer as well. However my mom is like the OP, she never takes it off except when she sends it for cleaning or if she is ever in the hospital. Neither way is bad. As long as you're comfortable, then wear it as much or as little as you want.

I honestly never thought much about other people trying it on. When I went home to show my family the ring, my sister (who wears rings alll the time) asked if she could try it on because we were talking about ring size and she wanted to see if the size it was would fit her. My only hesitation - we were standing over a sink! So I said yea but not here and we moved and she tried it on.
  • Options
    @beethery can you lock this?  It is an old thread, but maybe not old enough to qualify for locking?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Not quite old enough yet, sorry boo :(
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @tarabreannearbonneic can you please not bump such old posts. 

• Options
    Just an FYI @tarabreannearbonneic because I see that you're new (welcome!), it's generally frowned upon to bump up old threads like this by commenting long after the conversation has ended. It's just kind of like jumping into an ongoing real life conversation with something totally unrelated. You can see the last date the thread was commented on beneath each poster's name.

• Options
    Lolo is much nicer than me. 
  • Options
    I've let so many friends try on my ring! They are all so excited and think it is so beautiful - I can't even stretch my imagination to see what the issue is with a friend trying it on! 
  • Options
    I've let so many friends try on my ring! They are all so excited and think it is so beautiful - I can't even stretch my imagination to see what the issue is with a friend trying it on! 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards