Chit Chat

Is my name really that uncommon?

I just had someone spell my first name "Renay". 

Re: Is my name really that uncommon?

• Hahaha... another reason not to give your kid a yooneek name - it makes people assume everyone's name should be spelled strangely.

HUH????
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• FI's name is Dylan. It was spelled on our electric bill as Duilan (um what?) and on our cable bill as "Dallon." Dude. His name is normal. Don't make it weird. 
  • Was it at Starbucks? Because I swear they do it on purpose there.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My name is Carly.  I've seen everything from Karly, Karlie, Karley, Karleigh, Carley, Carli, Carleigh, etc.  It drives me nuts.  My mom has a name that has a Y in it that people always write with an I so you'd think she would have given me a name that didnt' have several options.

• The email I use to correspond with vendors is my full name. And yet a lot of them are still misspelling my first and/or last name. My first name isn't difficult but there are a couple variations, and my last name is a bit cumbersome, but still, they're both right there!

I know your name can be spelled a few different ways, but I've never heard "Renay!"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• amelisha said:
    Was it at Starbucks? Because I swear they do it on purpose there.
    It was actually a vendor that emailed me. 

• Was it a barista? I think they've just given up on life.

• amelisha said:

Please, for the love of god, please tell me you'd already emailed them so they'd SEEN your first name spelled correctly.

Because I want the chuckles from that.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    amelisha said:

Please, for the love of god, please tell me you'd already emailed them so they'd SEEN your first name spelled correctly.

Yup. She contacted me because she's working for a new company and she wanted to send me her new catalog. 
  • Gross dude in my office that I can't stand just emailed me and called me "Journal" instead of my name. It was clearly not a mis-spell. He just called me an inanimate object instead of a name. Good thing I already don't like him so who cares. 
  • SBmini said:
    Was it a barista? I think they've just given up on life.

Sometimes they do it on purpose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbrlNsMTg4

When I worked at Starbucks, a few baristas would do it just to get laughs.

• beethery said:
    amelisha said:

I emailed a contract to another company last year. The lady responded and called me Abby. My name starts with an A, and that is the only letter it has in common with Abby. She proceeded to call me Abby for a month via email, and I never bothered to correct her because I wanted her to feel extra stupid when she figured it out. 
  • beethery said:

HUH????
    Just quoting so I can see this baby more times. Carry on.

• emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:

I saw that video and laughed. I never did it on purpose, nor do I think any of my coworkers did. But I definitely sometimes simply did not care about people and their stupid names. 

Girl comes up on her phone: "Get me a non fat grande mocha frappachino with an add shot in a vente cup with extra whip. Oh, like put some valencia syrup in there too"

Sure, can I get a name?

"Daenerys"

Whatever "Danerious" as I charge you for the vente you totally just ordered and tried to get away with.
  • People spell my name LINDA all the time.   On Facebook, where my name is highlight in blue.

I get I have an unusual spelling,  but I will never get that one.  IT'S FUCKING RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF YOU!!!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yep.  My name is Kristan.  It's misspelled constanatly.  When I'm at Starbucks or at a restaurant and someone asks "is that with an e or with an i", I just say "It doesn't matter."   My in-laws get it right, though.
  • My boss spells my name differently every damn time she emails me. Let's say my name is Katherine. She will write me-

Hello Katy
    Hello Kati
    Hello Kathryn
    Hello Kathy
    Hello Cathryn
    Hello Katherine

LIKE HOW AND WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME ALLLLL THE TIME! if she is going to spell it wrong every time she should at least use the same way...damn. 

• SBmini said:
    emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:

I saw that video and laughed. I never did it on purpose, nor do I think any of my coworkers did. But I definitely sometimes simply did not care about people and their stupid names. 

Girl comes up on her phone: "Get me a non fat grande mocha frappachino with an add shot in a vente cup with extra whip. Oh, like put some valencia syrup in there too"

Sure, can I get a name?

"Daenerys"

Whatever "Danerious" as I charge you for the vente you totally just ordered and tried to get away with.
    Haha! If I didn't know how to spell it and didn't feel like asking, I just skipped it.

I order an extra shot in my Frappachino in the summer and I always get really excited when they put it in a Venti cup so I get all my espresso. 

• My name does get misspelled frequently - Renee, Rene, Renea, Reene. This is the first time I've seen Renay though. 
  • emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:
    emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:

Sure, can I get a name?

"Daenerys"

Haha! If I didn't know how to spell it and didn't feel like asking, I just skipped it.

I order an extra shot in my Frappachino in the summer and I always get really excited when they put it in a Venti cup so I get all my espresso. 
    The espresso makes the frappachino mix expand for some reason. And the vente has an add shot in it anyways, so it more or less makes it a vente. There was one guy who figured that out and ordered a grande with two added shots every day. He was also a real dick so that's why I immediately went to that order for my story. 

But there's all sorts of ways to game the starbucks pricing. Sometimes, for example, I'll do a misto- which is a drip coffee with steamed milk + syrup vs ordering a latte. And I love doing their iced coffee with syrup vs iced lattes in summer. My go to in winter is a grande peppermint mocha with 2 pumps ppm and 2 pumps mocha and no whip. Oh, can can you totally just charge me for a mocha since I'm only getting half the syrup? Thanks
  • My name is Lori. In one week at work, I was called Lauri, Leslie, Lisa and... Rachel.

lol Rachel out of nowhere. I had someone at work keep calling me Amy and say that I looked like an Amy. Cool....thanks...I'm not Amy.

People at work are so confused..."I used to get these reports from Jenna X, and now I'm getting them from Jenna Y. Where did Jenna X go?". Douche, I was out for a week an a half and now I'm listed in the directory with a different last name...you can't put 2 & 2 together?

• jenna8984 said:
    My name is Lori. In one week at work, I was called Lauri, Leslie, Lisa and... Rachel.

lol Rachel out of nowhere. I had someone at work keep calling me Amy and say that I looked like an Amy. Cool....thanks...I'm not Amy.

People at work are so confused..."I used to get these reports from Jenna X, and now I'm getting them from Jenna Y. Where did Jenna X go?". Douche, I was out for a week an a half and now I'm listed in the directory with a different last name...you can't put 2 & 2 together?

LOL! Maybe someone is trolling you. My husband has a friend named Nathaniel. Not Nathan, Nathaniel. He's a real douchebag and this is something that totally sets him off like nothing else. Because everyone is just supposed to know he doesn't like Nathan, right? I laughed so hard when he started his new job and they put him in as Nathan. On his paystubs, his email, even his health insurance he was Nathan. He lost his mind.
  • jenna8984 said:
    My name is Lori. In one week at work, I was called Lauri, Leslie, Lisa and... Rachel.

Derp.

Although that's better than my former coworker who changed her name after a divorce, but people thought she had just gotten married so they all started congratulating her.

• My name is hard to screw up, but people are CONSTANTLY spelling it AshELY. In what world has that ever been right? It's AshLEY. Pronounced Ash-Lee, Not Ass-Shelly. GOD.

My mom's name is always spelled wrong, but hers is weird (Laurrie, as opposed to Lori or Laurie).
  • SBmini said:
    emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:
    emmaaa said:
    SBmini said:

Sure, can I get a name?

"Daenerys"

The espresso makes the frappachino mix expand for some reason. And the vente has an add shot in it anyways, so it more or less makes it a vente. There was one guy who figured that out and ordered a grande with two added shots every day. He was also a real dick so that's why I immediately went to that order for my story. 

But there's all sorts of ways to game the starbucks pricing. Sometimes, for example, I'll do a misto- which is a drip coffee with steamed milk + syrup vs ordering a latte. And I love doing their iced coffee with syrup vs iced lattes in summer. My go to in winter is a grande peppermint mocha with 2 pumps ppm and 2 pumps mocha and no whip. Oh, can can you totally just charge me for a mocha since I'm only getting half the syrup? Thanks
    I just like the flavor of espresso over the frap mix. 

It is easy to get away with Starbucks pricing and get stuff cheaper. When I worked there, people figured it out all the time and now I know the secrets :)

The best secret is how to make a Caramel Brulee even when they don't have the syrup.

• Ugh, I feel your pain. My last name is uncommon but super easy (basically two one-syllable words put together) but people ALWAYS spell/pronounce it wrong because they've never heard it before.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards