Chit Chat
Options

Bringing liquor-- update in the thread

Re: Bringing liquor-- update in the thread

• Options
    All of you who get to drink tonight can think of me bartending for a fancy event at a fancy hotel, going through gallons of top-shelf liquor and not drinking any of it, haha. And that is my only comment re: top shelf liquor.

I will add, though, to novella that, while I understand that GI stuff is really weird and I'm not trying to be snarky or judgey at all, I'm shocked that tonic doesn't bother you and orange juice does. There is SO MUCH SUGAR in tonic because the quinine is so bitter. It's as many calories as Coke for that reason and it makes me so sad because I looooooooove gin and tonic and I only have like two a year because of the sugar. Sigh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:
    All of you who get to drink tonight can think of me bartending for a fancy event at a fancy hotel, going through gallons of top-shelf liquor and not drinking any of it, haha. And that is my only comment re: top shelf liquor.

I will add, though, to novella that, while I understand that GI stuff is really weird and I'm not trying to be snarky or judgey at all, I'm shocked that tonic doesn't bother you and orange juice does. There is SO MUCH SUGAR in tonic because the quinine is so bitter. It's as many calories as Coke for that reason and it makes me so sad because I looooooooove gin and tonic and I only have like two a year because of the sugar. Sigh.
    Yeah real tonic is not meant to have sugar. I went to a mixology bar that makes their own tonic with no sugar and it was quite amazing. I don't know what tonic you're drinking though, because the kind I buy has 120 grams of sugar. Coke has 180 grams (based on 8 ounces for both). Not a huge difference, but the less sugar the better, for me. 
  • Options
    amelisha said:

Yeah real tonic is not meant to have sugar. I went to a mixology bar that makes their own tonic with no sugar and it was quite amazing. I don't know what tonic you're drinking though, because the kind I buy has 120 grams of sugar. Coke has 180 grams (based on 8 ounces for both). Not a huge difference, but the less sugar the better, for me. 
    Have you ever thought of using soda water instead? Soda water doesn't have ANY sugar. For flavor you could use lime or lemon or something.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    amelisha said:

Have you ever thought of using soda water instead? Soda water doesn't have ANY sugar. For flavor you could use lime or lemon or something.
    Yeah, but it makes me sick. Lol. I know that's so stupid, and I haven't figured out why yet because there's NOTHING in it. At first I thought it was the bubbles because champagne also makes me really really sick. But tonic has bubbles too so... who knows? 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    esstee33 said:
    Right now I would prefer a nice Bloody Mary. Zing Zang mix, Northern Latitudes horseradish vodka, chipotle Cholula, Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce. You can go generic with the splash of pickle juice, thanks.
    HORSERADISH VODKA?! 

Guess I know what I'm stocking my new apartment with this weekend! :D 

(But, seriously, I love Bloody Marys so hard. That sounds incredible.) 
    The only place I've found it is at Northern Latitudes distillery in Traverse City (northwestern Michigan). It is FANTASTIC. They said they only knew of one other distillery that makes it (Referent in Wisconsin). 

ETA they also distill their gin with lavender. Delicious with tonic and a twist of orange.
    Where can I get this? I checked their website and found nothing telling me where to buy. Any place in Detroit area? SIL is from around there. I NEED this in my life.

Side note, on our HM DH & I got the BEST blueberry vodka ever in Maine. Not sweet, super flavorful, just awesome.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    amelisha said:

Yeah, but it makes me sick. Lol. I know that's so stupid, and I haven't figured out why yet because there's NOTHING in it. At first I thought it was the bubbles because champagne also makes me really really sick. But tonic has bubbles too so... who knows? 
    Maybe quinine is your antidote.

• Options
    amelisha said:

hm.... inteerresting.... 
  • Options
    amelisha said:

hm.... inteerresting.... 
    Well, if it prevents malaria maybe it fixes GI issues too, right?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    esstee33 said:

emmaaa said:

emmaaa said:

I'd really like a whiskey and sprite right now.

That's it, now I'm offended! How dare you defile good whiskey.

Pleas don't report me! I'm sorry :(

I just like sprite and it adds a nice bubbly twist to whiskey, I think. I'm open to suggestions!
    My mom likes it too and I think it actually has a name, right? Isn't a Tom Collins whiskey and ginger ale or on this case Sprite?

Noooooooo... a Tom Collins is a mixture of gin, sugar, lemon juice, and club soda. No whiskey! 

It's SO good in the summer. 

Ooh that's right. I don't really like gin. . .maybe I have just had bad gin though. Tasted like Pine Sol smells.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    @PrettyGirlLost, that's the best part of gin, lol. I love the juniper flavour, it tastes like camping in the mountains and Christmas.

I adore those aromatic artisan gins with the floral flavours too. And I make rosewater and cardamom shortbread every Christmas. I love very herbal/floral aromatics in everything. One of my favourite cocktails to make at home has fresh sage and basil, too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I have never brought something to a party because I hated the host or didn't believe their food/drinks ect were good enough.....In my opinion that's a weird way to seek revenage.

To me, if someone brings a dish to my hosted party I'm not going to fret about it.  Will I cringe if it doesn't necessarily go with the theme of food or party I'm throwing? Sure.  Will I refuse to serve it? No, because they took time out of their day to prepare it.  You just can't fault people for that.  Idk, maybe I'm too nice.

I totally agree. And on the flip side, I would be highly offended if I made something and the host was rude enough to put my dish in the fridge and NOT serve it.

Highly offended if uninvited you decided to go ahead and change my party that I'm hosting and I went ahead and politely shut that down?

I honestly don't see how bringing a dish because you are trying to be nice will change your party in any way.  God forbid your french theme night happens to have a taco dip.  Holy Moses the entire thing would be ruined!  Ruined I say!

This was my exact point posts ago. People choose to react to things. Period. It's your choice to be offended.

Being offened by a food dish is truly a 1st World Problem, lol. It's our perogative though.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

esstee33 said:

Since we are talking about food I just wanted to share that I am going to a 24 course dinner tonight and it comes with an INTENSE wine pairing list too and I want it to be 530 already!

Also I like all the Elf gifs.

Do you need a date? I can be available. 

I'll bring the queso

TATER TOT CASSEROLE!!!

• Options
    amelisha said:

@PrettyGirlLost, that's the best part of gin, lol. I love the juniper flavour, it tastes like camping in the mountains and Christmas.

I adore those aromatic artisan gins with the floral flavours too. And I make rosewater and cardamom shortbread every Christmas. I love very herbal/floral aromatics in everything. One of my favourite cocktails to make at home has fresh sage and basil, too.
    I've had good cocktails that has gin in them. . .you couldn't taste it.

• Options
    I was going to put a gif of keving from the office spilling his chili, but I could not find one that works :/

• Options

I was going to put a gif of keving from the office spilling his chili, but I could not find one that works :/

Happy to oblige. =)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm offended that a liquor(/stomach issues/brand preference) thread could in any way turn offensive. As IF!

And what am I drinking tonight? Fucking water. Again. Drink up for me, ladies. Make 'em big & make 'em stiff!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    amelisha said:

OMG you need to try Monkey 47. It's expensive as hell but oh. My. God.
  • Options
    amelisha said:

OMG you need to try Monkey 47. It's expensive as hell but oh. My. God.
    Thanks, I just put it on my iPhone shopping list so I can look out for it!

And I have no idea what is meant by "tater tot casserole" but I think I might prefer to remain blissfully ignorant.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never really seen a problem with bringing food and drinks to a party, but that's probably because my friends, H and I are all fresh out of grad school. It's expected that people bring their own liquor, at the very least. I've never been to a proper Christmas party... :P

• Options
    Tater tots are awesome and tater tot poutine is divine.

• Options
    I dont think its that your friends are chefs. To me It's more like that's the culture of your circle. Your dinner parties are formal events in the sense that one couple or person plans the meal and hosts everything. And then the other get togethers sound like more informal group efforts where everyone coordinates the menu and brings something. When I go to someone's house for a Super bowl party, a holiday dinner, a game night, just to hang out I always assume the hosts have everything taken care of, but I would never show up without wine or a dessert depending on the event. I don't ask permission because what kind of person turns away free booze or dessert? I have also brought people floral arrangements. Those are what I consider hostess gifts. I would never assume my gesture would offend anyone, and I'm not going to start worrying about it now. However, most of the get togethers and meals in my circle are like the second type of event Lynda described where everyone offers to make a dish to share, and we coordinate who cooks what.

STUCK

People who spent a lot of time or money making dessert for everyone and already have it covered. 

• Options
    lc07 said:

I dont think its that your friends are chefs. To me It's more like that's the culture of your circle. Your dinner parties are formal events in the sense that one couple or person plans the meal and hosts everything. And then the other get togethers sound like more informal group efforts where everyone coordinates the menu and brings something.

When I go to someone's house for a Super bowl party, a holiday dinner, a game night, just to hang out I always assume the hosts have everything taken care of, but I would never show up without wine or a dessert depending on the event. I don't ask permission because what kind of person turns away free booze or dessert? I have also brought people floral arrangements. Those are what I consider hostess gifts. I would never assume my gesture would offend anyone, and I'm not going to start worrying about it now.

However, most of the get togethers and meals in my circle are like the second type of event Lynda described where everyone offers to make a dish to share, and we coordinate who cooks what.

STUCK

People who spent a lot of time or money making dessert for everyone and already have it covered. 

This is just not an issue with my family and friends.

• Options

lc07 said:
    I dont think its that your friends are chefs. To me It's more like that's the culture of your circle. Your dinner parties are formal events in the sense that one couple or person plans the meal and hosts everything. And then the other get togethers sound like more informal group efforts where everyone coordinates the menu and brings something. When I go to someone's house for a Super bowl party, a holiday dinner, a game night, just to hang out I always assume the hosts have everything taken care of, but I would never show up without wine or a dessert depending on the event. I don't ask permission because what kind of person turns away free booze or dessert? I have also brought people floral arrangements. Those are what I consider hostess gifts. I would never assume my gesture would offend anyone, and I'm not going to start worrying about it now. However, most of the get togethers and meals in my circle are like the second type of event Lynda described where everyone offers to make a dish to share, and we coordinate who cooks what.

STUCK

:-)

As long as the item brought is not intended to be consumed during the party, then dessert if fine.  

Before we invite people over we do not make the menu with the thought that that someone may bring dessert or an appetizer.   DH makes WAY too much food to begin with more food it just not necessary and often gets thrown away.  

But this is a know your circle thing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm offended that a liquor(/stomach issues/brand preference) thread could in any way turn offensive. As IF!

And what am I drinking tonight? Fucking water. Again. Drink up for me, ladies. Make 'em big & make 'em stiff!
    Are we still talking about drinks?
    Ha! I was originally, but it's a mighty fine combo for more than just drinks, eh? ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards