Chit Chat

the Bump forums do not seem welcoming

Re: the Bump forums do not seem welcoming

• edited December 2014

The first time, my H knew I was pregnant before I did.

My dad is that way too. Just has really good intuition for pregnant chicks. Knew my aunt was pregnant before she did.

• smichek said:
    @misshart00 how did that happen???

I was making dinner one night and kept saying the meat smelled funny. H said I was crazy and told me I must be pregnant. I told him I absolutely was not. He kept going on about it and I finally went and peed on a stick the next day. He was dead serious and even offered to go to the store and buy a test for me.
  • So since a few of you have been trying or recently pregnant.....how far in advance do you suggest stopping birth control pills? I have been on them for 11 years. Ideally with selling our house and work schedules, we want/ hope to conceive around September give or take. So I'm trying to figure out if I should stop the pill 6 months before that? 3 months before that? 
    Stop it now and start trying with me and @sarahufl. :-D
    Yay for being TTC buddies! I should get my period in about 10 days or so - after that, it is open season! My twin sister is TTC again (for #2) as well, so I hope we all get lucky!!
  • The bump scares me. The regulars aren't exactly friendly. They constantly chew people's heads off. Especially first time moms. Obviously people go there for advice not to be yelled at. Let's go other ladies. Get Prego with me!!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yay! I didn't know so many others were trying so now I'm excited that we can chat here and I don't have to go to the dreaded Bump! Good luck to you all!

• My month board can be a little...harsh. We had a thread about it and things got less...harsh for a few days, but then it pretty much went back to the way it was. Since my pregnancy was a surprise (I was also on the pill when I got pregnant, so I'm no help there), I never spent any time on TTGP, and very little on the first tri board. I put up with the tone of my board, because I do get some good advice and support, but it can be off-putting.
  • Blergbot said:
    My month board can be a little...harsh. We had a thread about it and things got less...harsh for a few days, but then it pretty much went back to the way it was. Since my pregnancy was a surprise (I was also on the pill when I got pregnant, so I'm no help there), I never spent any time on TTGP, and very little on the first tri board. I put up with the tone of my board, because I do get some good advice and support, but it can be off-putting.

There are a lot more pregnant ladies on here than I thought. When are you due?
  • We're 90% sure we have the name picked out (pretty classic) but are saving 10% just in case she pops out and we don't think it fits. Until then, she is simply known as 'Baby Bean' :). As for announcing, Gus helped us spread the word once we cleared the NT scan & genetic screening. I'll post the pic we used when I get on my laptop.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You should all take over a dead board and turn it into your own "Bump" board*.  Maybe a dead month board or something.  Then you could chat all you want without the crazy.  

*Not that I'm saying don't talk here, but if things ever got going with hundreds of posts.  

• Blergbot said:
    My month board can be a little...harsh. We had a thread about it and things got less...harsh for a few days, but then it pretty much went back to the way it was. Since my pregnancy was a surprise (I was also on the pill when I got pregnant, so I'm no help there), I never spent any time on TTGP, and very little on the first tri board. I put up with the tone of my board, because I do get some good advice and support, but it can be off-putting.

There are a lot more pregnant ladies on here than I thought. When are you due?

April 1st (no joke). 

We agreed on names fairly early on. If it was a girl her name would have been Eliza. It's a boy, however, and his name is William (Will for short).

Here's the latest us:
  • We have a name for a girl, but boys are harder to decide on. We wouldn't share it until the little one is born though.

• jenna8984 said:

So since a few of you have been trying or recently pregnant.....how far in advance do you suggest stopping birth control pills? I have been on them for 11 years. Ideally with selling our house and work schedules, we want/ hope to conceive around September give or take. So I'm trying to figure out if I should stop the pill 6 months before that? 3 months before that? 

I stopped in May, in preparation for TTC next month. My cycle is still majorly fucked up, though. I've only had four periods since going off. I know it can take a while to get back to normal, but it's taking longer than I expected (I had heard up to six months).

• steph861 said:

jenna8984 said:

So since a few of you have been trying or recently pregnant.....how far in advance do you suggest stopping birth control pills? I have been on them for 11 years. Ideally with selling our house and work schedules, we want/ hope to conceive around September give or take. So I'm trying to figure out if I should stop the pill 6 months before that? 3 months before that? 

I stopped in May, in preparation for TTC next month. My cycle is still majorly fucked up, though. I've only had four periods since going off. I know it can take a while to get back to normal, but it's taking longer than I expected (I had heard up to six months).
    Mine was never normal before, so I don't expect it to be now. It's super annoying.

• H and I plan to start TTC after the new year. We want one of each, but if we have two of one or the other we plan to adopt the gender we don't have. We have names picked out, Astrid Christine and Erik Conan. Christine is actually a mashup of our mothers' names so it works perfectly, and H loves the Conan the Barbarian books. 

Also, we're crunchy granola-ing the shit out of our kids because we have so many diseases in our families and we want to give our kids their best shot at healthy lives. We'll vaccinate though and let our kids eat frosting on occasion, we're not psychos. We also plan to group homeschool because Texas' school system sucks. But only if we can find a community of non crazy people to do it with, we want our children to have social skills. 

I have PCOS, so we're also open to the idea of flat out adopting if I can't conceive. We're gonna stay positive though and try for a few years first. We will adopt rather than doing IVF or a surrogate though, if it comes to that. Personally I would rather just adopt because of the health issues, but H wants to carry on the genes, so we'll just pray for no auto-immune issues. 
  • steph861 said:

jenna8984 said:

Mine was never normal before, so I don't expect it to be now. It's super annoying.
    Mine wasn't normal before, which was why I went on BCP in the first place. Gah. (Oh my God, my phone just tried to autocorrect "gah" to "gay" - glad I caught that!)

• We'll probably start TTC next summer. Right now we are busy enough with our puppy.  

We have a definite girls name. Our kids will have my husband's last name, and my last name as a middle name. We like alliteration too, and my husband's last name begins with S and we have an S girl name.

We talked about this a long time ago, and I had the S girl's name picked out before I met him. Luckily, he loves it. We have a boy's name that we like but it's not definite.

• Oh, and I suspected my friend was pregnant before she knew herself. We went to lunch, and she ate chili, and I have never seen her eat chili in my life. I was like " are you, pregnant"? She said no. But the next day she found out she was.

• H and I are planning to start TTC sometime next year. We have a first name picked out for a girl (I'd post it, but H is terrified it will get super popular and wants to keep it under wraps, lol.) and I'm trying to convince him to do Johannes for a boys name. 

Anniversary
  • sarahufl said:

jenna8984 said:

Stop it now and start trying with me and @sarahufl.

:-D

Yay for being TTC buddies! I should get my period in about 10 days or so - after that, it is open season! My twin sister is TTC again (for #2) as well, so I hope we all get lucky!!

Ttc, too!
  • smichek said:
    You should all take over a dead board and turn it into your own "Bump" board*.  Maybe a dead month board or something.  Then you could chat all you want without the crazy.  

*Not that I'm saying don't talk here, but if things ever got going with hundreds of posts.  

Fuck the bump...let's just take over the Tennessee board on here because it is dead. I don't even know of any other knotties who live in my state.
    Oh, I did mean over here, not on TB.  You'd all be like the WW clique.  

• smichek said:

smichek said:

You should all take over a dead board and turn it into your own "Bump" board*.  Maybe a dead month board or something.  Then you could chat all you want without the crazy.  

Fuck the bump...let's just take over the Tennessee board on here because it is dead. I don't even know of any other knotties who live in my state.

Oh, I did mean over here, not on TB.  You'd all be like the WW clique.  

I can't think of what WW is for the life of me. Wonder woman? Wally world? Halp a sleep-deprived lady out.

Wedding Wire, I assume.

• WW is wedding woes... it's an entirely different world over there.... (i'm not actually TTC for probably another year and a half, just have insane baby fever... i need help)
  • We won't be trying until the wedding in May, but we will start trying right away as soon as we're married.  We do have a boy's name that we love (James Beyer--Beyer is a family name for FI pronounced like "buyer" and I love "J.B." for a nickname), but I figure it's always subject to change.  For a girl, I have always known her middle name would be Joyce after both my grandmas, but no first names.  FI's last name starts with an F, so I would avoid anything that would be "BFF, MF, WTF" for the initials.  We love the name William for a boy, but we just can't name him William Thomas, lol.
    amakayeb said:
    We were "trying, but not necessarily REALLY trying" since the wedding the end of June. I've never been on birth control, and my cycle has always been fairly regular (for those who don't necessarily want to deal with all the charting and stuff, I would still recommend tracking the basics of your cycle--first day of period, etc. I used a free app on my phone, and just ignored all the other features).

We found out when I was late over Thanksgiving break. I told him I suspected it, but there was a bunch of craziness going on during our visit to his family. We didn't get a chance to buy a test until we were driving to my family on Friday. We told everybody the next day while we were eating dinner (we know things can happen, but we'd rather have our family and friends praying for health than trying to hide it). Nothing cutesy--just, "Hey, we're pregnant!"

We talked one night and decided on a boy's name in that in-between time when we were waiting. The girl's first name we have, but no middle yet. 
    Wait, so you're KU right now?  Is this your first announcement here, or did I just miss it?  Either way, congratulations!!! :)

• Yes, I haven't been around much the last couple months. Thanks!
  • Congrats @amakayeb‌ !!!

@lurkergirl‌ our girl name is after my grandma Joyce too. But we mashed it up with my sister's middle name Lynne for Jocelyn. Don't tell anybody; we don't want it to get popular. It's one of the few -lyn names that isn't in the top rankings lately. :smiley:

Wait that just auto smileyed. Is that TK or my phone? :smiling_imp: :grimacing: :sunglasses:

• @lurkergirl I am really glad that you are taking the initials into consideration...a friend of mine just named her baby with the initials LOL. I'm like um, what was she thinking? 

I do not wish to find out the sex. I know people want to be "prepared" with the room and the clothes and everything but I think it's the best surprise you could ever get. I also have no problem with everything being gender neutral. 

• @winstonsgirl I think that's a really good idea to take over a dead board on here. You're right- wedding woes is just another version of chit chat with a whole 'nother set of women than the ones here. Not engaged yet is basically like that too- they have a group of 50 or so regs who are mostly married now and half of them are friends in real life. It would be neat if we took a month board that has passed by and turned it into a baby board! Because that treehouse is neat but it seems easier to have it all in once spot here. 

• Congrats @amakayeb‌ !!! @lurkergirl‌ our girl name is after my grandma Joyce too. But we mashed it up with my sister's middle name Lynne for Jocelyn. Don't tell anybody; we don't want it to get popular. It's one of the few -lyn names that isn't in the top rankings lately. :smiley: Wait that just auto smileyed. Is that TK or my phone? :smiling_imp: :grimacing: :sunglasses:
    OMG, you're my spirit animal!!!  My mom's middle name is Lynn, and I have played with lots of Joyce-lynn/Jocelyn combos.  Unfortunately, I met someone I really didn't like with that name, and ruined for me for a kid, but I still think it's really pretty.  And if we had more than one girl, I would try to work in Lynn somehow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards