Chit Chat

Words of wisdom over on The Nest!

Re: Words of wisdom over on The Nest!

• So what does it mean when you've been sitting posting on TK for so many hours today that your butt is sore and you drank all the Stoli and are now onto Kettle One? Intervention time?

Oh, there goes FI, out the door with his suitcase. 
    You're definitely doing it wrong, and I'm very concerned.  You ALWAYS drink the Kettle One first!!!  You can really taste the alcohol in the first couple drinks, and that's when you want the Kettle One.

Clearly you do need an intervention so you learn to drink the vodka with the least alcohol taste first.
  • Why has no one posted this link yet?

I'm a lazy bitch!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Why has no one posted this link yet? I'm a lazy bitch!
    QFT. Share, y'all!!
  • Is it this one?http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/12021645/trying-to-decide-if-i-should-leave#latest

Because is it just me, or is the OP melodramatic and foolish. . .along with the other PPs?

Um, her husband was drunk. You can't rationalize with drunks and they don't behave rationally either.

Being blackout drunk is risky bc by that point you technically have alcohol poisoning, but as long as he's not a legit alcoholic and getting blackout drunk and verbally abusive all the time. . .I dunno to me this doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying over there.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I mean I got embarrassingly drunk a few years ago and was yelling at DH to leave alone as I was puking into the bathtub.

• Is it this one?http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/12021645/trying-to-decide-if-i-should-leave#latest Because is it just me, or is the OP melodramatic and foolish. . .along with the other PPs? Um, her husband was drunk. You can't rationalize with drunks and they don't behave rationally either. Being blackout drunk is risky bc by that point you technically have alcohol poisoning, but as long as he's not a legit alcoholic and getting blackout drunk and verbally abusive all the time. . .I dunno to me this doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying over there.
    Same.  Getting inappropriately black out drunk twice over the course of a relationship doesn't make someone an alcoholic.  He certainly might be an asshole - there's not enough info in the post for me to know that - but he doesn't sound like some crazy raged alcoholic.

And 3 drinks definitely does not make someone an alcoholic
  • dcbride86 said:

Is it this one?http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/12021645/trying-to-decide-if-i-should-leave#latest

Because is it just me, or is the OP melodramatic and foolish. . .along with the other PPs?

Um, her husband was drunk. You can't rationalize with drunks and they don't behave rationally either.

Being blackout drunk is risky bc by that point you technically have alcohol poisoning, but as long as he's not a legit alcoholic and getting blackout drunk and verbally abusive all the time. . .I dunno to me this doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying over there.

Same.  Getting inappropriately black out drunk twice over the course of a relationship doesn't make someone an alcoholic.  He certainly might be an asshole - there's not enough info in the post for me to know that - but he doesn't sound like some crazy raged alcoholic.

And 3 drinks definitely does not make someone an alcoholic

Again drunk ppl arent rationale. They say all sorts of stupid and sometimes mean shit. And some truly ate assholes when drunk.

But she seems extreme.

• I mean I got embarrassingly drunk a few years ago and was yelling at DH to leave alone as I was puking into the bathtub.

I did that last night.

I did that last night.
    Hehe!

I left out that we had to pull over on the way home so I could puke along the highway, and upon entering the apt I promptly took off every stich of clothing I had on.

DH was like WTF are you doing. . .he was trying not to laugh. I said I had nice clothes on and I didn't want to puke all over them.

So yeah, I take back what I said about drunks being irrational because clearly I was of very sound mind.

• Aww man... I went over there to be amused but actually found that post very upsetting :(.

Don't get me wrong- some of the responses are cray- having three drinks at an event does not make you an alcoholic, one bad episode doesn't mean you're an alcoholic etc.

But am I alone in feeling that what the OP described was way over the line and disturbing?  Like there's being black out drunk... and then there's being black out to the point that you are unresponsive, violently ill, and verbally abusive.  That situation sounds terrifying and honestly would deeply shake my trust in my SO if that happened to me!  I have known some nasty alcoholics in my life but never have I ever had to deal with something of that magnitude, and in order to come back from something like that I would definitely have to insist that my SO never drinks again.  Maybe I'm just uptight about this issue (again, probably as a result of having known several nasty alcoholics in my life), but y'all can't seriously think that that isn't way over the line of acceptable drunk-ness?
  • ShesSoCold said: Oh yeah OP's husband was not okay in any way shape or form. To me, that would be a "holy shit you need to calm yourself down" conversation. Not necessarily never drink again, but keep a better eye on yourself. People do dumb shit when they're drunk. Yeah I'd be pissed at H if he got so trashed that he horked all over himself and yelled at me, but not permanently affected but it. Agreed. It's not okay, but shit, it happens. It does NOT mean that he is an alcoholic.
  • Here we go again with good Ol' Tarpy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Gosh....dh (then fi) got really loaded at my brother's wedding but it wasnt apparent to anyone myself included (he just gets more sociable when drunk. I thought he was just putting in effort to chat with people because it was my brother's wedding). It hit once we were going beack to our hotel. He got off the elevator and immediately started heaving all the way down the hall to the room.

I guess im a horrible wife. I threw my then fiancee in the bathroom. Called the desk to tell them we'd encountered puke in the halls (luckily this was prom season in a big city and could have been anyone). Go into bathroom, dh is done puking up everything. ....due to the red wine the toilet looks like its ready for a date with Hannibal lecter. Throw dh in shower after stripping him. Get him cleaned up and into clean boxers and shirt. Throw him in bed surrounded by towels with a bucket on the floor and water on the table. Cleaned around toilet, cleaned floor, cleaned suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. Washed bejeezus out of cleaning washcloth. Finally get to go to bed myself two hours later. Dh is snoring but is very uncomfortable the next day when he woke up :-D
  • FI has gotten so drunk that I had to stand there and listen to him puke and then hand him a glass of water and put him to bed. He was in the guest room, so I then felt inclined to keep checking on him throughout the night to make sure he was alright. I had to work the next day and was tired as all hell. 

Not once did I think "wow he's an alcoholic." I just thought "Woops he drank too much this time. Haha, jackass!" We've all been there. Drinking too much once in a great while is not a crisis. 

Now if he had been screaming insults at me, I would have kicked him in the balls and/or been super pissed for a while. But I still don't think that necessarily equates serious alcoholism. 
  • larrygaga said:
    MagicInk said:
    larrygaga said:
    Oh I see it.

She also thinks anyone getting drunk and being stupid is reason to leave the relationship. Like anybody who has more than 1 drink per hour has an addiction and is horrible and needs to be broken up with. 

FI and I love getting drunk by ourselves and just let go and be really stupid. We should leave each other.
    I really really need to get rehab. Stat. 

Quick someone take me to Promises! That place is like a fucking spa.
    I mean you can't quit on your own you have no self control!! 
    I have self control . . . I just chose not to practice it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Man, I think FI did some of our best early bonding over being hungover from nights we could barely remember.  We don't drink like that anymore, but there was a time where we drank so much/often that we named my two drunken alter-egos. 

• Man, I think FI did some of our best early bonding over being hungover from nights we could barely remember.  We don't drink like that anymore, but there was a time where we drank so much/often that we named my two drunken alter-egos. 
    Yeah when FI and I first started dating, I had a shitty part-time customer service job and he was in his final year of college but it was summertime. We pretty much drank tequila all day every day (I got a pretty serious injury from playing soccer barefoot while drunk) and then we'd stay up till around 4 am, sleep all day, sit around hungover, and then repeat. 

Then we got real jobs and grew up, and we don't get to do that anymore. But damn that was a good summer. 
  • FI and I went to have long islands last night because I'm leaving town today and can't participate in our weekly tradition of long islands on Friday.

Clearly we need AA.

She married an asshole. And obviously someone that can't handle his liquor. And PTSD? Please. I hate it when people throw that word around all willy nilly like.

• FI and I went to have long islands last night because I'm leaving town today and can't participate in our weekly tradition of long islands on Friday. Clearly we need AA. She married an asshole. And obviously someone that can't handle his liquor. And PTSD? Please. I hate it when people throw that word around all willy nilly like.
    lol yeah that made me laugh a little. So melodramatic. If you get PTSD because a drunk idiot was being an asshole, then how have you survived through life this far? 
  • Is it this one?http://forums.thenest.com/discussion/12021645/trying-to-decide-if-i-should-leave#latest Because is it just me, or is the OP melodramatic and foolish. . .along with the other PPs? Um, her husband was drunk. You can't rationalize with drunks and they don't behave rationally either. Being blackout drunk is risky bc by that point you technically have alcohol poisoning, but as long as he's not a legit alcoholic and getting blackout drunk and verbally abusive all the time. . .I dunno to me this doesn't seem to be as bad as everyone is saying over there.
    Wow, this thread pisses me off. It is very unfortunate what happened but shoot, I've gotten black out drunk before, doesn't make me an alcoholic. What makes a person an alcoholic is when they constantly have to have a drink, they can't control it, even when they want to stop. I lost my father to alcoholism and it is heart breaking to see people go through the same, but when someone drinks 3 drinks at a party IT DOES NOT MAKE THEM AN ALCOHOLIC!!!

Also, she said this has only happened once before and he wasn't like this at all. He also recognized what he did was wrong but she doesn't trust him. What? Maybe if he constantly did this but if this is his first time I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. If it happens again, yeah I'd probably be done. I don't know, I think she is looking for a reason to get out of the relationship but that could just be me being a cold callous person. Maybe I'm looking at this with blinders, so someone else can point it out if I am.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yeah when FI and I started dating he was a "wild child." I specifically remember on his 18th birthday he drank way too much (like a 1/2 gallon of whiskey) jumped down a flight of stairs, and then went upstairs to the bathroom to puke. There is a legit picture of us somewhere sitting by the toilet with his head in the toilet and me giving him water. 

I think a lot of people(not all) have a story of getting way too black out drunk and usually it opens there eyes to know their limits. At 18 - 20, we weren't very good at self-control or knowing our limits. But now, we know that throwing up is the last thing we want to do and even being stumbly at one point is no longer fun.

My dad is a recovering alcoholic. 3 drinks, beers, whatever does not make you an alcoholic. Try a 12 pack of beer every morning he got home from work and a case on the weekends, now that makes you an alcoholic. I also know that a person will not just stop drink just because you want them to, they have to want to. My dad was hospitalized and almost dead before he realized there is a difference between feeling like you want to die and actually dying. 

FI knows that I never want to see him make drinking a habit or getting wasted every time we drink. Yeah, occassionally we will get wasted but that is VERY rare.

• I know we've discussed this before - but I'm curious as to what Tarpy does with her life. What is her SO like? Does she work? Is she a miserable person to be around IRL? 

I can't imagine she's a fun person to be around {Not that I am 100% of the time either - but I like to pretend that I am most of the time. . . .}
    I can't imagine her SO (although I've never seen her mention anything about one . . . ) must be submissive/push-over/some word I can't think of right now - because almost anything would be grounds for immediate dismissal. We know he/she wouldn't be able to have any skeletons in the closet because - to the curb!

This is mostly what I'm like when I read her posts:

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• There have been times I drank too much. Same with H. I've acted like a moron. So had he. Doesn't make us alcoholics. Shit, I might even drink too much tonight. Free booze, ya'll. 
  • Fi once got so drunk he peed the bed. 
    I'm in danger!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards