Chit Chat

Psycho

So I'm going back to therapy, and I don't care if my insurance doesn't cover it because I'll be sending the bill to my dad.

He started blowing up my phone at the end of the work day yesterday to the point that I thought someone had died. I left my office and called him back. He immediately starts ripping me to shreds over the fucking catering costs, because the estimate is higher than it was originally, BECAUSE HE ADDED PEOPLE TO THE GUEST LIST. I can't even tell you how many times I warned him, "the more people you add, the more costs go up."

He then starts bitching that not a single one of his friends is on my guest list because I wouldn't allow him to invite anyone. I start naming all his friends that are on my list. He snaps at me, "I didn't even want to invite any of those people!" Uh... those 30 people are not my relatives and not my friends so why the fuck are they on my guest list if you don't want them there? (He does want them there, he just loves to act like a difficult little bitch). When he had tried to add more people beyond those 30 I put my foot down and wouldn't let him, and he's STILL throwing fits about it (this was settled like a year ago).

When it was obvious all he wanted was a fight, and to treat me like his punching bag (he must have been bored), I said the conversation was over and hung up.

He originally wanted to pay for food, bar, and dessert. I declined his offers after previous tantrums of his, but he clung onto the food. Now FI and I are scrambling to find places to cut costs so we can cover that too, which has been extremely difficult because a lot of things have already been paid for, and no matter what, we'll be losing deposits. Invitations haven't gone out yet but we can't really cut people out to save money because people have already gotten STDs (months ago) so we'd be uninviting them. And we originally had been leaving room in the budget for this exact scenario, but we had a few emergencies that weren't wedding related that really ate into our finances. Ugh.

But it gets better (worse?). My aunt that I'm super close to decided to intervene and tell him what a ridiculous psycho he's been. I had no problem with her stepping in at that point because I seriously thought I was gonna lose my mind last night. My dad tells aunt that I'm "hateful and unreasonable" because I wouldn't stay on the phone. (My aunt disagreed; she was really proud of me for ending the conversation because she knows that's the only way to deal with him. He will not stop raging, so you have to walk away).

He told her I have some grudge against him, and will not "allow" him to be nice to me. Um... unless he's a robot and I have his remote control and am programming him to act like a dick, how is it possible to "not allow" someone to be nice? My aunt asked him to do some self-reflection and try to realize that maybe the way I act towards him is actually a reaction to the way he's been treating me. He says no, there's no problem with how he treats me, cuz he's so nice and great, and I'm just hateful, so it must be some inner problem that I have which has nothing to do with him. Right.

The kicker was when he told my aunt that it's my fault that my sister attacked me. I supposedly "provoked her" and "made her" attack me. My aunt stopped him there too and said "Novella has told me the entire story, and her mother has told me the entire story. Their versions match and yours doesn't. In fact, all three of you have said that YOU were not even in the room when it happened. So how can you possibly be blaming the whole thing on Novella?"

When he had nothing left to bitch about, he lied and said I wanted him to give me $20,000 for my wedding and that's why he was mad. He said I had started yelling at him and would not allow him to talk to me at all. Um no. The catering is around $6,000 and it's what HE chose and what HE wanted to pay, and that's IT. And I never yelled at him. Not at all. He's a fucking psycho.

So last night I had a nightmare about this, woke up at 2am, never fell back asleep, and my stomach was upset the entire time, which is what always happens when I get super stressed. I'm working from home today.

Sorry for bitching about my dad yet again. This is just too much.

Re: Psycho

• Inkdancer said:
    Your family is full of crazy people. 

Want to come join mine instead? We have kittens and orange icebox cookies.
    Yes please!!!
  • Can you change the menu to something less expensive?  Would that help you and FI afford it on your own?  Cut out beef for chicken, maybe remove 1 or 2 apps, etc?  Is there anyone who has not received a STD?

I'm glad that you had the courage to hang up on your dad when you realized there was no way to rationalize with him.  Be proud of yourself for that!

• I have no advice. Just an apology for the family you were born into.

Your aunt is awesome though!

• I haven't commented much on your posts about your family but I've been lurking and I just want to hug you because I seriously have no idea how you handle your family!

I have no advice for the budgeting issue - because I feel like you should just cut your dad's 30 guests despite giving them a STD and he can deal with the fall out from that. Obviously, that is horrible advice but if I were you I'd just have to throw my hands in the air and be done with this shit.

• I am so sorry you have to deal with this drama. No advice but, offering you hugs and wine. All the wine. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Tell him, "thank you for your offer to help pay for our wedding, but we will be unable to accept it at this time".
  • You can borrow my dad too. 

• So many hugs for you. What a toxic mess.

• I'm not going to offer my dad (while he is not quite that insane, he's still a pill sometimes), but I will offer: :cookie::cookie::cookie: and hugs.

I'm super proud of you for establishing the boundaries and maintaining them when it came down to it. I'm sorry it's leading to all this stress, but absolutely you are fantastic and amazing for sticking to your guns.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Your family is beyond cray-cray and I'm sorry you have to deal with this.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Thank you, ladies. It really does help to have a place to vent. 
  • That sucks, I'm so sorry.  At least your aunt sounds awesome!  All the wine and internet hugs to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • *passes novella a jumbo margarita and a cuddle puppy*

I'd go toe to toe with your dad for you if it would help but 1) it wont since im an outsider 2) evil chipmunk would probably get me arrested for smacking your dad while telling him what a huge case of cranial rectal conjoinment he has
  • Yikes. That does not sound fun to deal with at all. I think you really did handle it well, but I'm sorry it's even happening in the first place.
  • he sounds like my FMIL. she whined everytime we brought up wedding. we decided now that eloping would be the best for us and just use the money we were ourselves going to put towards traveling or the house. 

i could also see her trying to invite her exhusbands family (thats a whole other story, and its to long and really does not make sense)
  • You are doing great in an impossible situation. Good for you.

And I NEVER advocate this, ever. But...how much debt would you have to go into to cover the caterer on your own? Because it seems like you're getting to the stage where it's worth it. 

All parentally offered money can come with strings, but when you don't even know what the strings are (because: Crazy!) it's not possible to manage them. God forbid you end up in a situation where your dad pulls the plug entirely, at the last possible minute, and you end up either without food or with a lawsuit. I think you have to figure out what you can afford to host the people you've invited.

When you look back on this years from now, you'll see your wedding as an expensive lesson that taught you not to trust your family. Which is sad and sucky. BUT! It will also be the experience that brought you into your FI's family, and the one that turned you and he into your own solid family. 

I wish I could help more. But you're coping with difficult people admirably.
    At this point we'd have to put the entire cost on our CC :(
  • I haven't commented much on your posts about your family but I've been lurking and I just want to hug you because I seriously have no idea how you handle your family!

I have no advice for the budgeting issue - because I feel like you should just cut your dad's 30 guests despite giving them a STD and he can deal with the fall out from that. Obviously, that is horrible advice but if I were you I'd just have to throw my hands in the air and be done with this shit.

I kind of agree. Sure it's rude, but fuck your dad. Honestly, I'd uninvite him too if he's going to be such a dick. 

You can always elope.

• Things to say when your Dad starts a rant:

Really?
    Do you think so?
    Hm, I never thought of it that way.
    That is an interesting thought,
    What do you think we should do?\
    I will certainly keep that in mind.
    Why do you think this?

Every statement just throws the ball back in his court without making any commitments from you.  Don't try to argue with him.  He only wants an audience.  Let him rant, but don't challenge him.  Since he cannot act like an adult, then you must.  Never wrestle with a pig.  You'll get dirty, and the pig likes it.

When solicitors telephone my daughter, she just hands the phone to her delighted 19-month-old toddler, who gurgles and laughs into the phone.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • How do you stop yourself from shoving a bottle of xanax down his throat with a bourbon chaser and screaming "CHILL. THE. FUCK. OUT."? 

Because I would. Damn dude, you were hatched. That's the only way this makes any sense and where you came from. You're just different from all of them. Unless you're a psycho too and you just hide it really well ;)

• You are doing great in an impossible situation. Good for you.

And I NEVER advocate this, ever. But...how much debt would you have to go into to cover the caterer on your own? Because it seems like you're getting to the stage where it's worth it. 

All parentally offered money can come with strings, but when you don't even know what the strings are (because: Crazy!) it's not possible to manage them. God forbid you end up in a situation where your dad pulls the plug entirely, at the last possible minute, and you end up either without food or with a lawsuit. I think you have to figure out what you can afford to host the people you've invited.

When you look back on this years from now, you'll see your wedding as an expensive lesson that taught you not to trust your family. Which is sad and sucky. BUT! It will also be the experience that brought you into your FI's family, and the one that turned you and he into your own solid family. 

I wish I could help more. But you're coping with difficult people admirably.
    At this point we'd have to put the entire cost on our CC :(
    Personal loan? Any home equity? I just can't emphasize enough how important I think it is to run, not walk, away from your dad's money. As long as he has that looming over you the intermittent shouting phone calls will not stop (and that's the best case scenario. Worst case he pulls the funds after it's too late to do anything).

And I have to say I agree with @bethsmiles and @huskypuppy--uninviting your dad's friends doesn't seem like such a terrible thing. He's gonna talk shit about you no matter what you do; might as well deserve it and have a wedding you can afford!
    This baby knows exactly how I feel

I kind of agree. Sure it's rude, but fuck your dad. Honestly, I'd uninvite him too if he's going to be such a dick. 

You can always elope.
    This is what my aunt advised. I told her FI and I would be the ones to get financially screwed with that, because of everything that has already been paid, plus all the deposits. Her next idea was that we go through with the wedding as planned, but save costs by only inviting our friends and FI's family. I actually really like the idea. I think it would really hurt my mom, though, and I feel bad for her. When she found out what my dad pulled last night, she was so mad at him. She told him he was a pathetic excuse for a father and for a husband. 

When she told me about it, I was crying because I realize this is the only dad I get, and he'll never be any different, and it sucks. I know there's nothing I can do about it so I need to just move on and appreciate all the awesome people in my life, and I do appreciate them, but I'm still struggling with the fact that I'll never have a relationship with my dad, and he'll never be supportive, and he'll never be anything to me except a raging asshole. What a mess. 
  • How do you stop yourself from shoving a bottle of xanax down his throat with a bourbon chaser and screaming "CHILL. THE. FUCK. OUT."? 

Because I would. Damn dude, you were hatched. That's the only way this makes any sense and where you came from. You're just different from all of them. Unless you're a psycho too and you just hide it really well ;)
    thank you. I feel like if I were a psycho like him but I act like me, I should get into professional acting ASAP :P It's pretty damn hard to hide that level of crazy lol. But yes... maybe I was hatched... It's scary to think that I have his genetics. *shudder* 
  • You can share my Dad, he's awesome.  He's where I got my sense of humor and bluntness.

In all seriousness, as soon as this wedding is over I strongly advise a long break from speaking to your family (except awesome aunt) in any way, shape or form.  Trust me, it will do you a world of good and you will have time to do some self reflection and work on your own boundaries.  They can't force you to see them, they simply can't.  The one leverage an adult has over their parents is their presence.

I view it like this:  If an adult wants to act like a child, I will treat them like one.  Temper tantrums result in a time out.  A time out from my life.  They will be let back in when they have thought about what they've done and apologized or I am over it and don't care anymore, which ever comes first.

• I'm sorry to hear your family is being crazy again. After the last time where he stood up for you with your mom I thought he might be turning a corner. But I guess he can only keep it up until he needs a fight.

Sending you internet hugs and lots of wine. I hope you guys get something figured out.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

You can share my Dad, he's awesome.  He's where I got my sense of humor and bluntness.

In all seriousness, as soon as this wedding is over I strongly advise a long break from speaking to your family (except awesome aunt) in any way, shape or form.  Trust me, it will do you a world of good and you will have time to do some self reflection and work on your own boundaries.  They can't force you to see them, they simply can't.  The one leverage an adult has over their parents is their presence.

I view it like this:  If an adult wants to act like a child, I will treat them like one.  Temper tantrums result in a time out.  A time out from my life.  They will be let back in when they have thought about what they've done and apologized or I am over it and don't care anymore, which ever comes first.

I will definitely take an extremely long break from him. I can't wait. And he'll say I'm being hateful and terrible because he has done nothing wrong. 

He told my mom last night that I never bother to even try to talk to him. She then listed several instances recently where I did sit down with him to talk, and he attacked me or threw an epic tantrum, so I walked away or we got into a fight. He sees this as my fault, not a result of his own actions. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards