Wedding Reception Forum

Food Ideas Needed

amhopkins2910amhopkins2910 member
First Comment
edited February 2015 in Wedding Reception Forum
Okay, I am having a bit of a problem. I am doing a DIY reception and we are doing all the food because I have so many food allergies and I don't trust a caterer. That being said, I am at a loss as to what to serve that would feed quite a few people.
Basically my diet has to consist of poultry and vegetables. Can't have any crazy seasonings. No artificial food color either.
I was thinking of just throwing all mine and my fiancees favorite foods together and then I realized that would be an odd combination, but on the same token, it wouldn't be any different than having a potluck style lunch. Should we do this, or should there be some sort of order to the foods we serve?

I am starting to panic now as we only have 25 days left until the wedding! 
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Re: Food Ideas Needed

• What are your favorite foods?  I like a little cohesiveness in the menu.

How many people are you having?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We have some wonderful ladies from our church (where the wedding and reception both will be held) who are more than happy to help out with food and keeping up with it all. 
    My soon to be mother in law has all the stuff to keep any food that needs to stay warm in as she loves to throw parties. 
    I didn't want to have to 'pack my lunch' as I do that all the time and my mom really wanted me to be able to enjoy everything, and with everyone in my family and my fiances family loving to cook and knowing what my restrictions are, we think we can get it done if we work together :)

Haha. I love fried chicken and any pasta dish involving chicken. Potatoes never get old. Carrots, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, cucumbers. I'm a total junk food junkie though, I love pie and cupcakes, cookies and ice cream.

I was thinking crock-pot bbq chicken with potato salad would be awesome. Or, a few different pasta dishes with a veggie tray and a fruit tray thrown in there somewhere. 

There will only be about 50 people there and most of them will be kids lol So we could probably even get away with a typical party style selection if we had to.

• It isn't just all on my mom, it will be a group effort, she was just the one that thought we should do the food. I mean, I am totally fine with doing it all myself!
    And we are all a close knit southern family who does this kind of thing on a regular basis. Everyone knows that it will be an informal ceremony and reception at mine and my fiances request because we were just going to skip the whole thing. We are doing this for all of them, they are the ones who are deciding things. I'm just putting on the dress and doing as I'm told at this point. xD

Also, we live in the middle of nowhere. So even if we wanted to, there are no caterers and our only grocery store is Food Lion. Now, if we wanted to go 2 1/2 hours away to find a grocery store that caters, we could but to all of us, it just seems crazy.

Plates? Lol. Guests will get up off their butts and get food as they please and take their trash to the trash cans, there isn't a single person invited that isn't related by blood and they all know what the plan is, so if they don't like it they don't have to come. Lmao. 
    As far as the full trash cans go, there will be plenty of capable men that will do it, as they were taught to do, unless any of them want their momma's after them :)

We are not having a formal wedding, we are having a very relaxed ceremony and reception. But as I said everyone has wanted to pitch in and help, maybe that's just the way we do things?
  • Crock pot BBQ chicken, rolls, potato salad, roasted broccoli, slaw (but with vinegar not mayo) sounds like a pretty good meal to me. As long as no vegetarians are coming. But if the church ladies are doing the cooking id ask them what they think would work.
  • Crock pot BBQ chicken, rolls, potato salad, roasted broccoli, slaw (but with vinegar not mayo) sounds like a pretty good meal to me. As long as no vegetarians are coming. But if the church ladies are doing the cooking id ask them what they think would work.
    This is the along the lines I was thinking.  Roasted chicken or baked chicken would work too.  

50 people isn't horrible to DIY cater. Not that I would do such a thing (guests do not work at events I invite them to.).

The wedding is in 25 days.  She might not have many choices.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • MandyMost said:
    When people are invited as guests, they should not be expected to work. It's fine if the hosts of the party want to do the work themselves, of have other people do the work with them, but none of these people should be considered guests at the reception. So if your mother and future mother-in-law want to make all the food, set up all the food, and clear away all the left-overs, that's fine. But it means they're essentially working your reception and not being a guest at it. People are suggesting that perhaps they would prefer to actually be a guest at their children's wedding reception, and be free to eat and talk and mingle themselves. But that's up to them to decide, not you. 

Yes, well-raised people with manners are of course going to "pitch in" when something needs to be done. But they shouldn't be expected to, since they are guests. Well-raised people who throw parties shouldn't expect their guests to do the work for them.  Therefore, you need to have a plan to get all these things done without expecting your guests to do it. 
    All of this, but the bolded is TRUTH.

OP - please explain why you feel your family's time is better served cooking, serving, and cleaning than enjoying your wedding.
  • It sounds like you're having a casual wedding.  Why not do a bbq style food?  That should be super simple to prepare for.
  • Why do ppl on these boards lately have this idea that if they have dietary issues they have to control the entire menu and limit the entire menu? Chefs/caterers are capable of providing single, individual meals for ppl with dietary issues.
    QFT

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015

I don't understand why people equate proper manners with "formal". A wedding can be fun and relaxing without expecting guests to clean and cook. Our wedding was the very opposite of stuffy and formal, and none of our guests had to lift a finger.

Thisthisthis.

My ceremony and reception were pretty laid-back and we also had a 9 course plated meal in which none of my guests had to do anything but eat and drink.

I mean, the restaurant ecen delivered leftovers to my mom's hotel room, so she didn't even have to do that!
  •  

I feel like you and I are kindred spirits in opposite corners of the country. Washington state representing here. Screw these judgy people. You know your family and loved ones better than strangers on the internet.

It's almost like you are describing me, my wedding and my family...You're having a super small, intimate ceremony and extra casual reception. If your family is like mine, pitching in is how they show love.

Also, if you and your family are like me and mine, they know that making it as low-stress as possible for you is how they keep you from running off and eloping in secret. Again, we're kindred spirits. 

Mostly, I just wanted to show some support in light of all the judgement you're getting. As for menu, see Starmoon44's comment. I think that totally makes sense. A lot of that's pretty straight forward, as in doesn't require crazy cooking skills for anything anyone is handling for you. And a lot of prep work can be done in the couple days before hand so it's not all being done that morning.

Good luck, dear!

•  

I feel like you and I are kindred spirits in opposite corners of the country. Washington state representing here. Screw these judgy people. You know your family and loved ones better than strangers on the internet.

It's almost like you are describing me, my wedding and my family...You're having a super small, intimate ceremony and extra casual reception. If your family is like mine, pitching in is how they show love.  I prefer when people show love by treating me politely and respectfully, as opposed to cheap labor.

Also, if you and your family are like me and mine, they know that making it as low-stress as possible for you is how they keep you from running off and eloping in secret. Again, we're kindred spirits. That sounds like coercion and blackmail.  Where'd that love go? So you are OK with stressing them all out rather than enjoy the day as guests.  You do realize that the reception is actually to thank the guests for coming to your ceremony, right?

Mostly, I just wanted to show some support in light of all the judgement you're getting. As for menu, see Starmoon44's comment. I think that totally makes sense. A lot of that's pretty straight forward, as in doesn't require crazy cooking skills for anything anyone is handling for you. And a lot of prep work can be done in the couple days before hand so it's not all being done that morning.  The OP asked for help and ideas.  The posters gave plenty of good ideas for having good food and a lovely reception that is NOT at the expense of their family and friends.

Good luck, dear!

•  

It's almost like you are describing me, my wedding and my family...You're having a super small, intimate ceremony and extra casual reception. If your family is like mine, pitching in is how they show love.

Also, if you and your family are like me and mine, they know that making it as low-stress as possible for you is how they keep you from running off and eloping in secret. Again, we're kindred spirits. 

Mostly, I just wanted to show some support in light of all the judgement you're getting. As for menu, see Starmoon44's comment. I think that totally makes sense. A lot of that's pretty straight forward, as in doesn't require crazy cooking skills for anything anyone is handling for you. And a lot of prep work can be done in the couple days before hand so it's not all being done that morning.

Good luck, dear!

I need an eye roll GIF, but I fail at GIFs.

My family is also super close.  We pitch in to help each other all the time (including pretty regularly hosting meals with 30+ people).

That said, I have never resented my siblings more than when I was expected to pitch in and help at their weddings.  I spent 20 hours of my life decorating my the church fellowship hall for my sister's reception.  I spent 5 hours cleaning up after the reception was over.  I did not enjoy her wedding day one bit...because I had to work.  I did it without bitching and moaning too loudly (she is my sister), but I definitely was irritated.

OP, any caterer worth his or her salt can address your dietary restrictions (and work within a distance, even one of 2.5 hours).  And if you haven't given yourself enough time to get an actual caterer, I second PPs suggestions on crock pot BBQ.  That at least reduces the labor load of the people making your lunch.
  • Really!!? My brother had a lower key and less expensive wedding than I did and I helped my brother with his wedding, both setting up, cleaning up, and other random prep weeks before, and I was happy to do it. He's my brother.  He would do it for me.  Furthermore, my husband, sister, and her husband also helped without complaint.

• Really!!? My brother had a lower key and less expensive wedding than I did and I helped my brother with his wedding, both setting up, cleaning up, and other random prep weeks before, and I was happy to do it. He's my brother.  He would do it for me.  Furthermore, my husband, sister, and her husband also helped without complaint.

And imagine how your friends and family would react if you planned your event properly, so that they could just enjoy it as guests and not have to help prep, set up, clean up, etc.

They would be very happily surprised and would really appreciate it!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards