Chit Chat
Options

Cosmetic advice - NWR

Re: Cosmetic advice - NWR

• Options
    CMGragain said:

Yes, you have valid points.  I do imagine some of you might feel nervous at my club meeting next week.  We all are wearing vintage clothing, hats, gloves and old mink stoles.  Tea will be served.

I apologize if I offended anybody.

To those of you who gave me suggestions, thank you very much.

Nope, I don't think bigoted old ladies make anyone here nervous. We're too busy yelling "Boo!" at little kids and stuff.

Come on now, this thread was going so well and then you have to say something like that? Why would you do that? Do you just HAVE to sneak in a little passive-aggressiveness everywhere, every time?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

CMGragain said:

Yes, you have valid points.  I do imagine some of you might feel nervous at my club meeting next week.  We all are wearing vintage clothing, hats, gloves and old mink stoles.  Tea will be served.

And this would make us nervous, why? 
    Cause old white ladies will cut a bitch. And they'll have tea to throw at you.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

CMGragain said:

Actually I'd feel very comfortable there so long as everyone was kind and welcoming. If someone called me a dyke or gasped and clutched their purse, I'd leave. I probably wouldn't wear a mink stole. I don't own one and I'm gonna buy one. But I've got hats, gloves, and vintage clothes. See, you're make a judgement about my tattooed self again. I like tea!

See, I might not fit in with those ladies. I might not look like them and we might have very different backgrounds. But I walk into a room with the assumption they are going to welcome me. Be nice to me. Be kind people. Because I assume, most people are shitheads. 

I figure people from different walks of life then me can teach me things, can expand my horizons. You figure people who look different from you, are terrible people who are not as good as you. One of us, is a lot happier then the other and has a lot more friends who don't look like her.
    What a beautiful post!  Thank you!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @CMGragain, I get what you're saying. When I have my makeup done for an event, I'll try to work with someone who has a similar taste/style to my own. Everyone has their own sense of aesthetic, and there can be a tendency (although there are of course many exceptions to this) for stylists to push their own taste on clients. For example - someone thinking my skin was too pale once covered me in bronzer (while insisting that I not look in the mirror until she finished) to the point that I looked like an oompa loompa. I'm fair skinned - I'm okay with that. Another threw pancake makeup on me, despite my telling him that I've got sensitive skin, because he wanted to replicate something he'd done on another client.

With that said, many people who work at stores like Ulta are trained aestheticians, and despite having a very different taste from your own, are highly knowledgeable about the products at hand. I'd suggest you pop in there with an open mind, and speak to a few people on staff. It'll become clear quite quickly which ones know their stuff - those that know the better ingredients (and those to avoid) like the back of their hand.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    For the record, I only said I felt nervous about taking makeup advice from young girls who have an extreme appearance.  I never said that they were bad people, only that I felt nervous about taking their advice.
    I'm out of here.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    SO EXTREME:
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

For the record, I only said I felt nervous about taking makeup advice from young girls who have an extreme appearance.  I never said that they were bad people, only that I felt nervous about taking their advice.
    I'm out of here.

• Options
    Believe me, none of them will hold you down and tattoo you and give you a mohawk ;) I have tattoos and wear my makeup in an "extreme" way I've been told (included painted on eyebrows and crazy winged liner)... But I know that other people aren't like that and so for that reason I wouldn't give a client or customer advice on how to make them look like me. Most, if not all, are trained on how to give a customer advice on a softer or classic look. If all you're looking for is eyeliner, they won't point you to  the bright purple glitter liquid eyeliner from Urban Decay. They may instead bring you over to say Bare Minerals or Laura Mercier eyeliner.

It doesn't hurt to just ask. You're not being forced to buy what they say, so if you don't like it, you can always just say "Thanks" and look for something else. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    hellohkb said:

Believe me, none of them will hold you down and tattoo you and give you a mohawk ;) I have tattoos and wear my makeup in an "extreme" way I've been told (included painted on eyebrows and crazy winged liner)... But I know that other people aren't like that and so for that reason I wouldn't give a client or customer advice on how to make them look like me. Most, if not all, are trained on how to give a customer advice on a softer or classic look. If all you're looking for is eyeliner, they won't point you to  the bright purple glitter liquid eyeliner from Urban Decay. They may instead bring you over to say Bare Minerals or Laura Mercier eyeliner.

It doesn't hurt to just ask. You're not being forced to buy what they say, so if you don't like it, you can always just say "Thanks" and look for something else. 
    Also effective: "No."
  • Options
    hellohkb said:

OK, some history.  I went to this Ulta two years ago and tried their hair salon.  A friend of mine recommended them.  The young beautician took my simple chin length bob and cut a four inch long piece out of the crown!  She said it was a new look, and that I would love it.  I didn't.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

hellohkb said:

OK, some history.  I went to this Ulta two years ago and tried their hair salon.  A friend of mine recommended them.  The young beautician took my simple chin length bob and cut a four inch long piece out of the crown!  She said it was a new look, and that I would love it.  I didn't.
    So obviously all young people/ulta employees/"extreme" dressers (fucking LOL) are not to be trusted because ONE STYLIST didn't listen to her customer. That makes sense.

One time, a Hispanic man broke into my apartment; therefore all hispanic people are not to be trusted. Do you not understand how ridiculous and awful this sounds? Really?
  • Options
    hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    I've had that happen to me.. I like my haircut to be fairly simple and long. A few months ago I asked for some sideswept bangs and a trim. She pretty much gave me a mullet. I could post pictures for our amusement but I don't want to scar you all.

Buying makeup and getting your haircut are two different beasts. With one you get stuck with and can't get rid of until you grow it out. The other, you can choose not to buy or it scrub it off if you don't.

ETA- I can't type today for some reason.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Well you should not get your haircut from her again. No one should. WTF is that even? Like she took one lock of hair chopped it off and went "and you're done!"...that's not a hairstyle that's a what a 4 year old left unsupervised with scissors does. 

Her being a shitty hairstylist and the way she dresses do not go hand in hand. Even if she was wearing pearls and a two piece sweat set, she'd be a shitty hairstylist.

But...make up washes off. You'll probably have to try a few things you don't like before you find something you do like. So, it's good thing it's not permanent. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Well you should not get your haircut from her again. No one should. WTF is that even? Like she took one lock of hair chopped it off and went "and you're done!"...that's not a hairstyle that's a what a 4 year old left unsupervised with scissors does. 

Her being a shitty hairstylist and the way she dresses do not go hand in hand. Even if she was wearing pearls and a two piece sweat set, she'd be a shitty hairstylist.

But...make up washes off. You'll probably have to try a few things you don't like before you find something you do like. So, it's good thing it's not permanent. 
    Nope, it was obviosuly caused by her appearance. If she looked like a "normal person" it would have been a great haircut.
  • Options

I KNOW I shouldn'y judge by appearances!  I know this!  I just can't help being nervous around a beauty consultant with extreme dyed blue hair, huge visible tattoos (including facial), multiple body piercings, and extreme clothing.  It makes me nervous.  For all I know, some of you ladies look like this too, but I feel comfortable with you.
    I imagine plenty of people judge me, too, as an overweight, white lady with a goopy eye.
    So you basically just described me, but if you asked me, I would send you towards matte powders, natural waterproof eyeliners, and nude shadow palettes with no sparkle. Just because I look like a space vampire pirate doesn't mean I don't understand that you don't, k?

This is my new life goal.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015

lol wut.

It takes a little bit more than that to make my ass nervous.
    Anniversary

• Options

lol wut.

It takes a little bit more than than to make my ass nervous.

Spiders make me nervous. Oh, and unnaturally attractive people.
  • Options
    I think she was being facetious with the whole "minks&pearls make you nervous" thing.
  • Options
    @magicink i knew you kicked ass but now you're next level kick ass-i-er. What languages do you know?

• Options
    JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    It's funny, because when I first came to TK and saw OP as a reg I thought she was interesting and smart and that we were lucky to have her stick around.

But I feel like the more I see of her, the more that I feel she epitomizes the stereotype of ignorant old ladies.

Anyway, as for make up, I DO understand some of the weariness of getting make-up or fashion advice from people who appear to be SO outside of your own comfort zone. I'm a total plain Jane myself, and my glamour routine is almost nonexistent. So I get that. But instead of seeing it as "they are so different, they can never understand what I want" see it as "they know SO much about this, they should easily be able to give me what I want!"

I also use Diorshow waterproof, and love it; but I haven't really found a simple and easy make-up remover routine that works. Right now I use Burt's Bees make-up remover wipes, and it's good enough, but I find that I often wake up with make up smudged under my eyes. But the wipes are just the simplest for to bring into my nightly routine (I've often gone to sleep with my make up on since I was too lazy to use a cream or anything to wash my face).
  • Options

It's funny, because when I first came to TK and saw OP as a reg I thought she was interesting and smart and that we were lucky to have her stick around.

But I feel like the more I see of her, the more that I feel she epitomizes the stereotype of ignorant old ladies.

Anyway, as for make up, I DO understand some of the weariness of getting make-up or fashion advice from people who appear to be SO outside of your own comfort zone. I'm a total plain Jane myself, and my glamour routine is almost nonexistent. So I get that. But instead of seeing it as "they are so different, they can never understand what I want" see it as "they know SO much about this, they should easily be able to give me what I want!"

I also use Diorshow waterproof, and love it; but I haven't really found a simple and easy make-up remover routine that works. Right now I use Burt's Bees make-up remover wipes, and it's good enough, but I find that I often wake up with make up smudged under my eyes. But the wipes are just the simplest for to bring into my nightly routine (I've often gone to sleep with my make up on since I was too lazy to use a cream or anything to wash my face).
    But..I AM an old lady (64), and AM ignorant of a lot of things - like makeup and current styles!  That is why I asked the question in the first place.  I never claimed to be perfect.

There is often some truth in stereotypes.  Don't you think my opinion is just as valid as the opinions of other Knotties?  Am I not worthy of notice, just because I am older?  Don't you think that there might be older guests at a wedding that share my opinions?

I like helping young brides, especially with invitations since that is no longer taught in schools. I have never knowingly disrespected anyone.  I think it is interesting that people think it is OK to criticize me about clutching my pearls, but if I make a similar comment about tattoos, that is somehow wrong.  I'll never understand the double standard.

Peace.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    CMGragain said:

But..I AM an old lady (64), and AM ignorant of a lot of things - like makeup and current styles!  That is why I asked the question in the first place.  I never claimed to be perfect.

There is often some truth in stereotypes.  Don't you think my opinion is just as valid as the opinions of other Knotties?  Am I not worthy of notice, just because I am older?  Don't you think that there might be older guests at a wedding that share my opinions?

I like helping young brides, especially with invitations since that is no longer taught in schools. I have never knowingly disrespected anyone.  I think it is interesting that people think it is OK to criticize me about clutching my pearls, but if I make a similar comment about tattoos, that is somehow wrong.  I'll never understand the double standard.

Peace.
    Joking about your pearl clutching is not the same as discriminating against people based on their looks. How is this even CLOSE to similar?

You straight up said you don't trust people that look a certain way (which is not different than saying something like I don't trust black people because they are black people).

The fact that you can't see the difference between that and "lol quit clutching your pearls so hard" is unbelievable.
  • Options
    Your "jokes" are not funny.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards