Chit Chat

Tipping for furniture delivery?

Do you tip for furniture delivery? We're having new couches delivered today and I'm curious if I should tip the delivery guys (or gals). They won't be bringing it up a long driveway or in bitter cold temps or up any stairs but I'm wondering if it's customary to tip them regardless. I've never had new furniture delivered and the Google is giving me answers all over the board.

Re: Tipping for furniture delivery?

• Not sure. In the past I've tipped movers $20 each but just delivering a couple sofas is much less work. It certainly wouldn't be wrong to tip them a little.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I base it off how difficult the delivery is and if they have to put things together.  When I had a large coffee table delivered the guys were in and out of my house in like 2 minutes.  I didn't tip them.  But if they were delivering a bunch of stuff and had to put things together like a big bed frame then I would have tipped them.

But it is never wrong to tip, so if you want to give each guy $5 then go right ahead.

• I was thinking $10 to split (assuming there's two). There's no assembly required and no crazy driveway or stairs to maneuver. I just didn't want to be that asshole that doesn't tip when everyone else does. If we were having a whole room of furniture delivered or there was a lot of assembly, I would've tipped, no questions asked.

• I've always tipped for it - usually $20 to split, depending on how much furniture, how many stairs and weird angles are involved, etc.
  • We recently purchased a new bedroom set and a living room set.  We tipped the guys $5 each and offered them a glass of water before they left.  The head guy was so appreciative of the water!  They were really great and asked me where to put each item.  If I'd had a few extra ones, I probably would have tipped a bit more.

My friend, also purchased new furniture from the same company.  She got a bedroom set and bunk beds for her kids.  They did not ask where to put anything and wouldn't move it after they set up.  She and her H had to move it.  Those guys, I wouldn't have tipped.  Though I still would have asked them if they wanted a glass of water.

• $5-10 each sounds perfectly appropriate, but I would go ahead and tip each person individually so they don't have to split it themselves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have tipped $20 per person, but they had to set up shelves in my hutch, assemble my dining room table, and maneuver the stairs in my apartment. I think $10 to split would be fine. People in the delivery or home improvement business are always appreciative of water, a cup of coffee, or something to eat. (That always meant more to my step-dad than extra money.)
  • I've tipped 20 per person before when they had to put together a sectional couch and tables. 

I've tipped 10 each for just a simple couch. 

I tipped our movers 100 dollars when they moved our apartment to our house. They did an awesome job. If you think they deserve it, tip them.

• Fi's brother works for a higher-end furniture store as a delivery person.  They work in a 2-man team.  He gets tips about half of the time.  Definitely appreciates tips if they have to move the furniture to a second story, or around a strange driveway/doorway situation, or if they have to put together the pieces.... but other than that, he doesn't expect a tip. 
  • It's not 100% the same, but when our washer and dryer were delivered, I tipped the two guys $20 ea.  But we have front steps and then they had to haul them both upstairs.  I would tip for furniture delivery, but in your specific case, probably $5-10 each.  And agreed with tipping individually.  When we moved, we tipped each of the guys individually because we've heard stories of one guy keeping the whole thing.
  • Yeah, it's not required but it is appreciated. 

Anniversary
  • I've never tipped. It just didn't cross my mind as a tipping-type service. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Gave each of them $5. However, they seemed to have expected it when the one dude said to the other "I'm going to have to start getting more tips if I'm going to keep losing bets to you" (they were betting on how best to get the couch in through the door). He did seem appreciative of the money so I'll continue to tip for deliveries like that.
  • It depends on the what and where it's going.        Bed weather, heavy/big item up 3 flights of stairs and setup? I'm going to tip you $10-20 a person.     Something light, no stairs?  Nothing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards