Chit Chat

Show me your dream kitchen finishings

The house we have an offer in on needs a new kitchen and bathrooms. I'm totally excited by this because I'd much rather do the work and get to pick out my own finishings than pay for someone else's choices that I don't like as much (like black granite, hate). So now I'm obsessing over Pinterest and homedepot.com and drooling over glass tile backsplashes that are way outside my price range and that my H will never go for. It's fun though.

What does your dream kitchen look like? (Besides being the size of a roller rink. le sigh. Won't be getting that.)

Cabinets fo' days, marble island for rolling pie crusts

ROLLING LIBRARY LADDER ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Wall of windows that opens out onto the deck

Stove boner

Gimme all the aqua tile. WHY doesn't H like white cabinets?

BONUS NOT A KITCHEN Mermaid shower

Re: Show me your dream kitchen finishings

• It is really fun to be able to make your kitchen what you want it to be.  This is pretty similar to our kitchen, but the walls are a more muted orange (almost a yellowish orange).  We even have the back door like this kitchen does.  I love it!

• Looks great @aprilh81! I definitely want shaker style cabinets like that, all the way to the ceiling. (Might as well, with a 6'4" H!) And I like the colored backsplash... I feel like everyone does white. I'm trying to talk him into heated floors... there's a walkout basement, so the floors could get pretty chilly in the winter. We're going to do the porcelain tile that looks like wood, in a herringbone pattern like:

@katiekessler123 that's super fun!

• Our whole house  is orange and yellow.  It's a very old house with a lot of wooden finishes and we thought those colors would go well.  People thought we were crazy when we painted, but now we get lots of compliments on the colors!  It's funny though, sometimes I drool over aquas and blues like you, even though that 's the exact opposite of our house! 

• That ladder looks cool and I guess practical for the upper shelves.  But  no doubt it would annoy the shit out of me day-to-day.   I'm sure I would trip or run into it all the time.

I care more about the appliances.  We want SS.  No not because it's the trend.  All of DH's commercial kitchens are SS.  That is the style we both like.

Now if DH had his wish his entire kitchen would look like a commercial kitchen.  All stainless steal counter tops, open shelving, etc. Not going to happen, but one can wish.

I prefer shaker style cabinets.  I tend to go more towards dark cabinets, but it's not a must have.   I prefer granite counters.   I like the contrast of dark and light.  So if I did go dark cabinets I would stick to lighter counters.   If I decided to go lighter cabinets I would go darker on the counters.

I do not like all white though.   Too stark for my tastes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Heated floors are the best. The apartment we lived in before we bought our house had heated floors throughout the entire place. We'd leave the comforter on the floor in the winter so when we'd get into bed, we'd have a toasty warm blanket. I forgot how cold floors can be until we moved into our house. Definitely go with heated floors in your kitchen!!!!
  • plainjane0415plainjane0415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

We live in a house that was built in the 30's.  It's very dark, with tongue and groove wood paneling, very cabin feeling.  And while that's very cool, the next house I have will be very light and airy with lots of white, ivory and all that kind of stuff.  Good call on no black granite @lolo883, we made the mistake of putting it in the kitchen when we redid it and now we really wish we hadn't.  It's so hard to keep clean.  It looks great when it is perfectly clean for about 5 seconds though.  These are pics of my dream kitchen inspiration. ETA:  I'm limited to what pics I can post at work, so this is all I got. :)

• These tiles! I die.

I would kill for penny round Carrerra marble in the bathroom...

• We actually just built a house from scratch and moved in a little over a month ago.  While the kitchen isn't quite my dream kitchen, it's pretty nice.  I love my walnut cabinets, and my quartz countertops, and my big sink.  I also love our great room concept and our Rocky Mountain views.  In an ideal world (ie with no budget) I would have something larger with a walk-in pantry, fully custom cabinets (instead of semi-custom like we have) and commercial grade appliances.  

Married 9.12.15
  • These tiles! I die.

I would kill for penny round Carrerra marble in the bathroom...
    I love the first tiles!  I want to put those in our master bathroom when we redo it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I'm definitely leaning toward quartz for the counters rather than granite. 

H thinks lighter counters will be harder to keep clean, but I disagree. Dark counters just seem CONSTANTLY dusty. And then he says the same thing about dark floors and dark cabinets, but I don't want it to feel like I'm cooking in the Batcave.

• I love dark wooden cabinets, not a fan of keep white clean.

This huge farm sink

And I want this shower/tub combo (with different tile). I think i'd be perfect for kids splashin' around!

H thinks lighter counters will be harder to keep clean, but I disagree. Dark counters just seem CONSTANTLY dusty. And then he says the same thing about dark floors and dark cabinets, but I don't want it to feel like I'm cooking in the Batcave.
    I'm with you. I don't want granite for our counters either. I've had white cabinets before, and they weren't that hard to keep clean. 
  • lol @emmaaa I have that same shower/bath pinned! Nice too for when you want to rinse off after a bath but not wait for all the water to drain first.

You are absolutely correct.  The darker the counters/floors, the harder it is to keep clean.  GO LIGHT!

I had black granite with copper flecks in it in an old condo of mine... was called Black Galaxy.  When it was clean, it was gorgeous.  The problem is, keeping it clean was a nightmare.  We have the lighter quartz now, in a pattern, and it doesn't look dirty nearly as badly, and is very easy to clean.  This is the one we have: http://www.pentalquartz.com/catalog/collection/polished/tobacco  
    Married 9.12.15

I'm with you. I don't want granite for our counters either. I've had white cabinets before, and they weren't that hard to keep clean. 
    I'm willing to compromise on dark cabinets because he REALLY prefers natural wood to painted (and I hate light wood), but then I want all the other surfaces light. And I don't like when the cabinets match the floor. But of all the finishings, I'd rather have a dark floor... need to get him to pick the ONE thing he cares the most about being dark. :)

• Darker counter tops will show smudges and smears more than a lighter granite. Lighter floors also show dirt too so don't go too white on the floors.  A subtle pattern will help hide dirt/mud too.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Oh I've also had dark stained wood floors before.... never again.  In addition to keeping it looking clean, even the smallest of scratches is way more apparent.  The best floors I've had in terms of maintenance were just natural stained oak.  The ones I have right now are birch with a natural matte finish and they look awesome when clean but I have to mop them often to keep them that way due to the matte finish.
    Married 9.12.15
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    Climbing, you and I have similar taste cuz I'm dying for everything you posted! 

I really want a GIANT sink, mounted under the counter tops. The house we ALMOST bought had that, plus huge light-colored quartz counters that were stunning. But right now we're stuck in our shitty rental with our ugly shitty cabinets and horrible laminate counters and 0 counter space. So my main goal in life is to some day have a better kitchen. Ugh. 

The windows that open with a pass-through from the kitchen to the deck is something FI and I have been drooling over for a while. As well as a living wall. FI did eco-friendly architecture/design in college so he's been researching the best ways to do living walls and we're totally having one in our future kitchen to grow herbs and stuff. I've also drooled over walls that open. This stuff: 

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    This is our kitchen now. The former owners installed the granite. I wish they had chosen to do something different for the backsplash but what's done is done. At this point, I just don't think it'd be worth the expense to change it to something else.

The only thing I've done in it is changed out the sink faucet for an oil-rubbed bronze faucet that has the detachable sprayer (rather than a completely separate sprayer). I love it so much more than the old one. I'm not sure what else we can really do here. The other half of our kitchen is just the seating area. I've already repainted there to brighten it up. In the third picture you can see the horrible wallpaper and green paint we used to have.

• I desperately want to re-do our kitchen. 

Some wants:

Multi-level island (that's huge):

Veiny granite countertops:

Awesome fridge + beverage cooler:

A cool stove arch with spice cabinets on either side:

Things I don't like:
    - farmhouse sinks
    - geometric backsplash
    - islands that have different cabinets/countertops than the rest of the kitchen
    - colored cabinets (I like the look of natural wood)
    - ultra modern hardware
    - kitchens with no upper cabinets (just open shelves)
    *********************************************************************************

• I desperately want to re-do our kitchen. 

Some wants:

Multi-level island (that's huge):

Veiny granite countertops:

Awesome fridge + beverage cooler:

A cool stove arch with spice cabinets on either side:

Things I don't like:
    - farmhouse sinks
    - geometric backsplash
    - islands that have different cabinets/countertops than the rest of the kitchen
    - colored cabinets (I like the look of natural wood)
    - ultra modern hardware
    - kitchens with no upper cabinets (just open shelves)
    I hate that too!  I would never be able to keep my cabinets organized enough to warrant having that.
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards