Chit Chat

Show me your dream kitchen finishings

Re: Show me your dream kitchen finishings

• This thread is very fun.  I actually do design work for house flippers/builders on the side.  I can't help but brag that I did this one in Chicago about 7 years ago.  http://tour.vht.com/50025786/3216-n-hoyne-ave-chicago-il-60618/photos  (sorry can't figure out how to save the pictures from this) 

Unfortunately white kitchens like these haven't caught on here in the Denver metro.  People here, especially in the high end, love their wood.  FI wanted to do our entire kitchen in knotty alder (barf) so I'm glad he agreed to the walnut we went with.  

Married 9.12.15
  • edited March 2015
    This is my dream kitchen.  But I would like a white and gray table with blue toile cushions (not that mirror though... oh, hell no!).  And Navy and light blue accents throughout the kitchen. 

Am I alone in hating farm sinks?

This is my dream bathroom with a bitchin awesome shower. I must have a bench in the shower , though. And I don't need mirrors in the vanity to stare at my lady bits. I like the dark wood better for the bathroom.imageimageimageimageimage
  • I'm loving this thread. Just sitting here while DH is driving admiring all the different tastes.

I love the copper or bronzed appliances but I feel like they're hard to find IRL.

• This thread is very fun.  I actually do design work for house flippers/builders on the side.  I can't help but brag that I did this one in Chicago about 7 years ago.  http://tour.vht.com/50025786/3216-n-hoyne-ave-chicago-il-60618/photos  (sorry can't figure out how to save the pictures from this) 

Unfortunately white kitchens like these haven't caught on here in the Denver metro.  People here, especially in the high end, love their wood.  FI wanted to do our entire kitchen in knotty alder (barf) so I'm glad he agreed to the walnut we went with.  

Holy shit, that house! Dying! Even the outside of it is UH-MAZING! 
  • This is my dream kitchen.  But I would like a white and gray table with blue toile cushions (not that mirror though... oh, hell no!).  And Navy and light blue accents throughout the kitchen. 

This is my dream bathroom with a bitchin awesome shower. I must have a bench in the shower , though. And I don't need mirrors in the vanity to stare at my lady bits. I like the dark wood better for the bathroom.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you hate farm sinks? I love them because our stupidass dumb sink in our stupidass dumb rental is so little we can't even wash our cutting board in it. We have to flip it all around and get water everywhere. So I keep dreaming of THE BIGGEST SINK EVER. 

Interesting!  I live in Atlanta, and I feel like everyone I know is doing the white kitchen thing. 

I will always be a sucker for dark wood and stone.  I love a dark kitchen:

• edited June 2015
  • emmaaa said:

I'm loving this thread. Just sitting here while DH is driving admiring all the different tastes.  

I love the copper or bronzed appliances but I feel like they're hard to find IRL.

They probably are. 

For that stove, I think it'd be worth the hunt. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited March 2015

This is my dream kitchen.  But I would like a white and gray table with blue toile cushions (not that mirror though... oh, hell no!).  And Navy and light blue accents throughout the kitchen. 

This is my dream bathroom with a bitchin awesome shower. I must have a bench in the shower , though. And I don't need mirrors in the vanity to stare at my lady bits. I like the dark wood better for the bathroom.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you hate farm sinks? I love them because our stupidass dumb sink in our stupidass dumb rental is so little we can't even wash our cutting board in it. We have to flip it all around and get water everywhere. So I keep dreaming of THE BIGGEST SINK EVER. 
    I guess I just don't like how they just out of the cupboards and there is no finish in front of them. I think farmhouse sinks look nice, but only in cottage style, or rustic kitchens. i think they just lack refinement, and they look ridiculous in a more elegant kitchen.

ETA: I also HATE when they put wood panels on a fridge. That always just looks off to me. Stainless steel always looks nice, so I don' know why they have to make almost like a secret wall. I always envision opening up that fridge and heading into the batcave.
  • This is my dream kitchen.  But I would like a white and gray table with blue toile cushions (not that mirror though... oh, hell no!).  And Navy and light blue accents throughout the kitchen. 

I guess I just don't like how they just out of the cupboards and there is no finish in front of them. I think farmhouse sinks look nice, but only in cottage style, or rustic kitchens. i think they just lack refinement, and they look ridiculous in a more elegant kitchen.
    Yeah, I totally get what you mean with that. I like eclectic, retro, vintage, rustic stuff so maybe that's why I like the look of them. Plus I'm not elegant and my kitchen won't be either lol. 

But I can definitely see how that style would not work with a very chic kitchen. 

Holy shit, that house! Dying! Even the outside of it is UH-MAZING! 
    Yeah it was a fun one.  There was pretty much no budget, other than "keep it reasonable" LOL  Most of my projects are "Do it for as cheap as humanly possible, but also make it look like it cost a lot of money".  

I will say the outside was not my favorite.  That was already pre-determined when I came to play, I just picked the lights, the door and the colors.  I loved that copper awning though.
    Married 9.12.15

No, I'm not a fan. I don't like the apron. Giant undermount sinks 4 lyfe.

• Ooh I wonder if I can talk the H into building a fancy range hood...

ETA: I also HATE when they put wood panels on a fridge. That always just looks off to me. Stainless steel always looks nice, so I don' know why they have to make almost like a secret wall. I always envision opening up that fridge and heading into the batcave.
    Ditto both of these things. Farmhouse sinks look great in a cottage style kitchen or a french country style kitchen, but I think they're overused in kitchens where they don't really make sense. 

And I'm 100% with you on panel fridges. I understand why people do it, but I can't see myself getting on board with this for my own kitchen.
    *********************************************************************************

Interesting!  I live in Atlanta, and I feel like everyone I know is doing the white kitchen thing. 

I will always be a sucker for dark wood and stone.  I love a dark kitchen:

It actually makes sense.  We are in the Rockies Mountains.   Log cabins, wooded lots, mountain views.  It just lends itself to be more rustic, natural wood tones, stone, stuff like that.

Which is fine with me.  I like the look.      When I'm at the beach I like the lighter wood tones or even white cabinets.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Same here!  Love my giant single basin undermount.  (Yes I know I put a farm sink in that house I linked to above haha!).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited June 2015
  • Now, in THIS kitchen I could live with the farm sink. Oh yes. I would do a lot of things for this kitchen.

• I'm indifferent when it comes to farm sinks.    I'm not sure I would go out of my way to get one, but I guess we will see when the times comes.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Eh I'm not a fan of farm sinks, I feel like I would always run into it.

I found more pictures!

change countertops to a white quartz 

Mid Century Modern Kitchen Design - like that tile backsplash!

change light fixtures

I think my number one pet peeve, is stools with no backs though. I find those chairs to be really uncomfortable.

This is my dream bathroom with a bitchin awesome shower. I must have a bench in the shower , though. And I don't need mirrors in the vanity to stare at my lady bits. I like the dark wood better for the bathroom.imageimageimageimageimage
    I am quoting myself because God damn it... I just figured out how to internet! I  feel like I could shit a rainbow!

I am quoting myself because God damn it... I just figured out how to internet! I  feel like I could shit a rainbow!
    I would do terrible things for that bathroom floor. That is so amazing. 

I'm also not a huge fan.  Although my dislike stems from a functional point of view.  It's much easier to cause water damage to the cabinets below a farmhouse sink if you aren't careful. Plus, that's just more surface to clean, and I'm lazy. 

• edited June 2015
  • edited June 2015
  • I'm definitely leaning toward quartz for the counters rather than granite. 

H thinks lighter counters will be harder to keep clean, but I disagree. Dark counters just seem CONSTANTLY dusty. And then he says the same thing about dark floors and dark cabinets, but I don't want it to feel like I'm cooking in the Batcave.
    Speaking from someone who has white quartz countertops, I agree with your husband that they can be hard to keep clean. My husband is not the neatest in the kitchen, and if he spills a drop of coffee or red wine on the counters and doesn't wipe it right away, it is a pain to clean off. Similarly, if I have my laptop on the island or something slightly heavy and it rubs against the counters, I often get get scuffs that I need to scrub at pretty hard. 

If you do go with a white counter, I'd suggest something with some grain or pattern in it that can help hide some of it. We are building a home now and I refuse to get white counters as after less than two years with white quartz in our kitchen (ours is pretty much solid white) I am so frustrated with it! 
  • edited March 2015

Speaking of which, have you guys seen the new I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Guy?

I don't know how to process being turned on by a vegetable spread commercial.

Ugh image not working...
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards