Chit Chat
Options

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

• Options
    MagicInk said:

I'm literally sitting at my desk crying right now because I'm so pissed off and disgusted. I live in Indiana and this is fucking gross. So fucking gross. Hate and bigotry shouldn't have any role in governing state laws. Fuck this. 

I wish I could tell you to move to Michigan but we're not any better, unfortunately. :(
    Yeah Michigan just had a story about a peditrition refusing to treat a patient because she had gay moms.

First do no harm...unless homos are involved then let them die.

WTH?! What does that have anything to do with providing treatment?  People are seriously messed up. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    I'm going to post and run because I'm trying to get stuff done for work.  I know that there are many here who strongly detest me and think that I'm a bigot.  If that's you and you're not in a place to read what I have to say with an open mind, then that's your choice.

I think this law should not have been passed.  The government should not have any business in this shit.  If a small business owner decides to limit his/her client base because of their religious beliefs, then that is his / her decision.  And I wish that people can simply respect that and not have to start suing because a florist won't provide a service for a wedding.

I have a friend who is a wedding planner and who is also Catholic.  She has been approached by same sex couples and has been asked to plan their wedding.  She has simply responded that she is not available that day.  Likewise, she has been approached by couples who are Catholic and who have chosen to get married outside of the Church.  She has also declined to organize those weddings.  You see, according to Catholic teaching, aiding someone in committing a sin is a sin.  For example, it is common knowledge that abortion is a sin according to Catholic faith.  If my niece approached me and asked me to drive her to an appointment for an abortion, I would decline because it would be sinful for me to directly aid her in that action.  (I am not intending to compare same sex marriage to abortion; I am simply trying to provide an example of how aiding someone in a sinful situation is sinful).  

For vendors, there are obviously different levels of involvement in a wedding.  For example, an officiant is involved in a wedding on a different level than a florist.  I heard a priest once comment that he (personally) didn't think it would be sinful to provide a cake or flowers for a wedding of a same-sex couple.  I know others who believe this to be sinful.  It honestly varies from person to person.

I absolutely respect why you all are upset (especially @MagicInk).  I stayed in a hotel with my (then) FI while we were still engaged.  I recognize that a hotel owner may have seen this as participating in our sin and could have (under this law) turned us away.  I would have been humiliated and would have enraged.  I know it's not the same; I'm just trying to see things from your perspective.

And Christians refers to people following Christ.  Wasn't Christ the leader in loving EVERYONE?   I don't know how they can call themselves Christians when they are nothing like they leader of their religion.
    Regarding this statement, to love someone does not mean to participate in their sin.  Look at John 8 where Jesus encounters the woman caught in adultery.  He point blank tells her that he does not condemn her, then he goes and tells her to go and sin no more.  He changes her life and compassionately leads her away from sin.  There are many examples in the Bible where Jesus gives out some tough love.  I'm not saying this to justify the behavior of those who will abuse this law to discriminate against LGBTQs.  I'm simply saying that just because someone is Christian does not mean that they have to "love" someone by leading them to sin.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    littlepep said:

My Aunt who is a jehovah's witness is the same way (not saying all Jehovah's are this way, she is the only JW I know). I was even hesitant to invite her to my wedding because it did not follow her religious doctrine. (She did not even attend her brother's funeral because he was not buried to the jehovah's beliefs). 

She has been known to come over for dinner on a holiday weekend, but asks us if we will get rid of all signs of Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, before she arrives.  (Pretty sure I won't take down my Christmas tree on December 26th for her."
       If these people cannot be around other people who have different beliefs, than IMO, their faith is not that strong. If someone does not wear modest clothing, and they refuse to associate with them (see Duggars) I don't see how that makes them better Christians.  And Christians refers to people following Christ.  Wasn't Christ the leader in loving EVERYONE?   I don't know how they can call themselves Christians when they are nothing like they leader of their religion.
    This bothers me so much. There is so much unequal bullshit that people spout in the name of religion. 

We once witnessed a wedding where the bride actually promised to be her husband's slave. FI and I looked at each other like HELL no. And hate when ceremonies reference marriage being specifically between a man and woman. I was really careful in selecting our officiant for that reason. I just can't in good conscious get married while simultaneously disrespecting other people's love/relationships. 

My FI and I hate the "obey" part not only for the gender equality aspect, but also because since one of us is white and the other is African American, it would be very, very, very poor form to use it in our vows.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

What I don't get is this - all of these Christians that are SO AGAISNT gays, why are they not following the other rules of the bible? Like how you're not supposed to cut your hair, and eat shrimp and touch a pig skin. This pick and choose nonsense is fucking bullshit. If you're going to preach all the live long day about how homosexuality is wrong according to the bible, then you should have 6 foot long hair and never touch a football.

Honest question.  Do you want me to answer this?  Because there is an answer.
  • Options

littlepep said:

My Aunt who is a jehovah's witness is the same way (not saying all Jehovah's are this way, she is the only JW I know). I was even hesitant to invite her to my wedding because it did not follow her religious doctrine. (She did not even attend her brother's funeral because he was not buried to the jehovah's beliefs). 

She has been known to come over for dinner on a holiday weekend, but asks us if we will get rid of all signs of Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, before she arrives.  (Pretty sure I won't take down my Christmas tree on December 26th for her."
       If these people cannot be around other people who have different beliefs, than IMO, their faith is not that strong. If someone does not wear modest clothing, and they refuse to associate with them (see Duggars) I don't see how that makes them better Christians.  And Christians refers to people following Christ.  Wasn't Christ the leader in loving EVERYONE?   I don't know how they can call themselves Christians when they are nothing like they leader of their religion.
    This bothers me so much. There is so much unequal bullshit that people spout in the name of religion. 

We once witnessed a wedding where the bride actually promised to be her husband's slave. FI and I looked at each other like HELL no. And hate when ceremonies reference marriage being specifically between a man and woman. I was really careful in selecting our officiant for that reason. I just can't in good conscious get married while simultaneously disrespecting other people's love/relationships. 

My FI and I hate the "obey" part not only for the gender equality aspect, but also because since one of us is white and the other is African American, it would be very, very, very poor form to use it in our vows.

My step-sisters wedding was like this, with the added fun of "Nah, biblical slavery was AWESOME YO."

Her officiant was some dude from Liberty U. Where both of them attended. I swear the more fundamental the preacher the more awkward the ceremony. 

In level of awkward wedding pastor moments:

Slavery to spouse is awesome - Job and Rebecca and all his other wives somehow being used to justify marriage between two heteros -  and have babies, God wants you too, being the least awkward.

I can't believe that's my least awkward awkward wedding moment. That is so sad, on so many levels.

Anniversary
  • Options

What I don't get is this - all of these Christians that are SO AGAISNT gays, why are they not following the other rules of the bible? Like how you're not supposed to cut your hair, and eat shrimp and touch a pig skin. This pick and choose nonsense is fucking bullshit. If you're going to preach all the live long day about how homosexuality is wrong according to the bible, then you should have 6 foot long hair and never touch a football.

Yes. I genuinely would like an answer. Because as a former Catholic, this never made sense to me b
  • Options
    chibiyui said:

littlepep said:

My step-sisters wedding was like this, with the added fun of "Nah, biblical slavery was AWESOME YO."

Her officiant was some dude from Liberty U. Where both of them attended. I swear the more fundamental the preacher the more awkward the ceremony. 

In level of awkward wedding pastor moments:

Slavery to spouse is awesome - Job and Rebecca and all his other wives somehow being used to justify marriage between two heteros -  and have babies, God wants you too, being the least awkward.

I can't believe that's my least awkward awkward wedding moment. That is so sad, on so many levels.

Yeah, biblical slavery was just so awesome. Moses and the Israelites left Egypt because . . . because  . . . they hated how the kingdom was being gentrified. Yeah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

Didn't slave owners use the bible to justify slavery? Doesn't the KKK still use the bible to justify racial segregation? Why are those people wrong, but discriminating against gay people is just "not participating in a sin". 

If I find being black to be a sin, if I can get a book and say I believe in and find quote to interpret in such away that it says being black is a sin, am I racist or am I religious? 

Cause honestly, there's no difference. I chose to be a flaming homosexual dyke queer muff diving lesbian the same day you decided to be a heterosexual. I had as much choice in being gay, as Oprah did in being black. 
    That depends. Are you a Mormon from before 1978? According to The Book of Mormon (the musical not the actual book) that is when God changed his mind about black people. 

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I listen to shown tunes when I'm stressed. I've been listening to a lot of show tunes. 
    The year of my birth made people more tolerant.  Does this make me the Messiah?
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

Didn't slave owners use the bible to justify slavery? Doesn't the KKK still use the bible to justify racial segregation? Why are those people wrong, but discriminating against gay people is just "not participating in a sin". 

If I find being black to be a sin, if I can get a book and say I believe in and find quote to interpret in such away that it says being black is a sin, am I racist or am I religious? 

Cause honestly, there's no difference. I chose to be a flaming homosexual dyke queer muff diving lesbian the same day you decided to be a heterosexual. I had as much choice in being gay, as Oprah did in being black. 
    That depends. Are you a Mormon from before 1978? According to The Book of Mormon (the musical not the actual book) that is when God changed his mind about black people. 

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I listen to shown tunes when I'm stressed. I've been listening to a lot of show tunes. 
    According to Latter Days (awesome book and movie) that is when they started allowing black people to join the church. Before then they were seen as "dirty" as evident by their skin color.

So...I just have to say I follow pre-1978 Mormon doctrine and my tattoo shop doesn't have to tattoo black people anymore. That should totally work.
  • Options

jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

The year of my birth made people more tolerant.  Does this make me the Messiah?

Yes. I believe that it does.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

http://feministing.com/2015/03/26/far-from-over-anti-lgbt-laws-and-the-next-phase-of-queer-activism/

So Indiana has passed a new law. Allowing businesses to discrimnate against LGBT people. Under the guise of "religious freedom".

Bull fucking shit. Your religious freedom is not being persecuted because you have to make a cake for Tom and Ted's wedding. Your religious freedom is not being persecuted because Joan and Lisa are renting a room at your hotel. You're a fucking homophobic prick. That's what is happening. Own your fucking bigotry. Or don't be a bigot. Those are your options. 

And lemme tell ya something if your relationship with your god is so weak, that you can't be around people who don't fuck the right people, who don't identify as the right gender, who don't follow your fucking rules, then it is not the problem of queer people. It is your relationship with your god that needs to be worked on. 

So fuck you you motherfuckers who signed this fucking bill. Fuck you.
    This is happening in Northern Ireland as I write this. A christian bakery is in court because they refused to bake a cake for the LGBT community. the bakers say they had the right to decline based on the design on the cake, not the person who ordered it. Now the NI government is trying to bring in a 'Conscience Clause', the same law that Indiana passes...This all coming from a country that has spent the last 17 years trying to create peace after 30 years of Sectarianism...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Yes. I genuinely would like an answer. Because as a former Catholic, this never made sense to me b

The laws you reference (hair, touching unclean animals, etc) are from the 
    Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible ... well, more just Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy).  Those are the laws from God (via Moses) to the Israelites just after they left slavery in Egypt.  So, at that time there were concerns about cleanliness and other morality, so those laws were necessary at that time.  

It would be like looking at the laws that were in place during the American Revolution and trying to apply them to modern time.  Some of those laws still hold true (like, not stealing), but some don't (slavery). 

<<<<<  This is not meant to be a judgemental comment; simply a clarifying one >>>>>>
    IMO, if one is going to use the Bible as an argument regarding same sex relationships, it is wiser to go to Romans 1:22-27.  

I hope that helps.  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the Catholic teaching.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

jdluvr06 said:

MagicInk said:

According to Latter Days (awesome book and movie) that is when they started allowing black people to join the church. Before then they were seen as "dirty" as evident by their skin color.

So...I just have to say I follow pre-1978 Mormon doctrine and my tattoo shop doesn't have to tattoo black people anymore. That should totally work.

I've been wanting to read that book. I think I'll add that to my book list for the year. Oddly enough the churches founder Joseph Smith was an avid abolintionist and they didn't start to deny black people full membership until Brigham Young took over. I think his reasoning was something about Cain's seed being cursed.
  • Options
    I think sometimes as someone who is called to be faithful, you have to make hard choices. If you can't operate a business without discriminating against people, then you can't operate a business. I don't think someone who is devoutly opposed to gay marriage should have to plan a gay wedding. But i also don't think it should be legal to enjoy the benefits of running a business in this society that discriminates. So, yes, that might mean someone has to sacrifice their dream of being a wedding planner to avoid compromising their faith. No one promised that being faithful would be easy. I actually respect what many Catholic adoption agencies have done in response to legalized gay adoption- because they believe they cannot place children in gay homes, they have closed. It's pig headed, but at least they're living their pigheadedness.
  • Options

So, when someone discriminates against christians because hate mongering is against their religious beliefs, that'll be cool, right...right?

So as a Pagan I can discriminate against Christians because they used to burn my people to death right? (FYI I feel a little bit of professional conflict posting this even as a joke because Im suppose to remain neutral)
  • Options

I want to know as well, because a church cherry picking what rules to follow because it bests suits their agenda is one of a long list of reasons I walked away from christianity  and never looked back.
    Scroll up a bit ... I already replied :)
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

So, when someone discriminates against christians because hate mongering is against their religious beliefs, that'll be cool, right...right?

Nope that is religious persecution. Christians are being persecuted all the time. Left right and center. Christian persecution.
    Right I forgot! You can swing a cat and just hit all that oppression.

• Options
    MagicInk said:

Nope that is religious persecution. Christians are being persecuted all the time. Left right and center. Christian persecution.
    STOP THE WAR ON CHRISTMAS!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards