Chit Chat

Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

Re: Vent. Not about work/relationships/or wedding.

• MagicInk said:

So basically @holyguacamole79 what you're saying is, the church changes it's rules as it sees fit to go with the changing times? 

At one time, don't eat shrimp, made sense. Go ahead and own people, made sense. Black people should have different drinking fountains, made sense. Per the Bible.

So how long before "Lol we were joking, homos is cool!" happens? 

If you were a taxi driver and a woman got in your taxi and said "Planned Parenthood please" would you refuse to drive her there? Would you question what she was going there for?

Lets say I get into a really bad car accident with my wife. She's unconscious when EMTs arrive on scene but I'm not. I tell the EMTs her name and that she is my wife. Well it turns out these EMTs are Catholics. Are they within their rights to refuse to save my wife? Is saving my wife contributing to our sin? Assuming once she is saved she will continue to eat my pussy like a death row inmate?
    There was a case here in SC (-and sorry in advance for not remembering all the details) where a lesbian couple was denied their rights at a hospital. One of the women was in the hospital having a baby and then their other child got sick. They wouldn't let the second woman make medical decisions because SC doesn't recognize their marriage. So the woman who just had JUST had a baby had to go down to the other unit and make decisions. They were in a lawsuit with the state. Pisses me off so much. Like is that really what's best for the child??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2015
    So basically @holyguacamole79 what you're saying is, the church changes it's rules as it sees fit to go with the changing times? 

At one time, don't eat shrimp, made sense. Go ahead and own people, made sense. Black people should have different drinking fountains, made sense. Per the Bible.

If you were a taxi driver and a woman got in your taxi and said "Planned Parenthood please" would you refuse to drive her there? Would you question what she was going there for?

Lets say I get into a really bad car accident with my wife. She's unconscious when EMTs arrive on scene but I'm not. I tell the EMTs her name and that she is my wife. Well it turns out these EMTs are Catholics. Are they within their rights to refuse to save my wife? Is saving my wife contributing to our sin? Assuming once she is saved she will continue to eat my pussy like a death row inmate?
    @magicink I hope you don't need an EMT in Kansas, or Michigan or who knows what other states that have these insane laws. Makes me fucking sick.

ETA I don't think this has actually passed in Kansas yet but just the fact that people are even trying to make this happen makes me lose any faith in humanity that I may have had. People fucking suck. I just cant.

• MagicInk said:

So basically @holyguacamole79 what you're saying is, the church changes it's rules as it sees fit to go with the changing times?   That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that many of the laws handed down thousands of years before the birth of Christ were there because the world was a very different place.  There were cleanliness / purification concerns regarding certain animals and other practices.  Keep in mind that there are many other laws (the Ten Commandments) that were first introduced at that time which are still pertinent.  I have said it before and I'll say it again - Christians who use Leviticus to "argue" their beliefs about homosexuality are doing it all wrong.  The Bible is meant to be read in context (for example, we are not meant to believe that God created everything in 6 days, with each day being 24 hours long).  

Serious question - what group used which Bible verse to justify the Jim Crow laws?    

According to some Christians, it has.  Considering the doctrine and dogma of the Catholic Church, it will never happen.

If you were a taxi driver and a woman got in your taxi and said "Planned Parenthood please" would you refuse to drive her there? Would you question what she was going there for?   I honestly don't know.  You have posed a good question, and I really don't know what I'd do.  I would probably take her there and just say a prayer for her.  I will say this, though. I am a technology consultant and we work with some larger name companies.  If PP were one of our clients (it isn't, to the best of my knowledge) and I were proposed to that project, I would decline based on personal beliefs.

Lets say I get into a really bad car accident with my wife. She's unconscious when EMTs arrive on scene but I'm not. I tell the EMTs her name and that she is my wife. Well it turns out these EMTs are Catholics. Are they within their rights to refuse to save my wife? Is saving my wife contributing to our sin? Assuming once she is saved she will continue to eat my pussy like a death row inmate?   Why would you think that there would ever be a doubt about saving a person's life?  Of course anyone would do whatever it takes to save the life of anyone.

• What I don't get is this - all of these Christians that are SO AGAISNT gays, why are they not following the other rules of the bible? Like how you're not supposed to cut your hair, and eat shrimp and touch a pig skin. This pick and choose nonsense is fucking bullshit. If you're going to preach all the live long day about how homosexuality is wrong according to the bible, then you should have 6 foot long hair and never touch a football.

Honest question.  Do you want me to answer this?  Because there is an answer.
    Yes. I genuinely would like an answer. Because as a former Catholic, this never made sense to me b
    I want to know as well, because a church cherry picking what rules to follow because it bests suits their agenda is one of a long list of reasons I walked away from christianity  and never looked back.
    Scroll up a bit ... I already replied :)

SITB

So basically you explain how the Christianity cherry picks based on time to suit its personal agenda? Nah....doesn't compute...

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

What I don't get is this - all of these Christians that are SO AGAISNT gays, why are they not following the other rules of the bible? Like how you're not supposed to cut your hair, and eat shrimp and touch a pig skin. This pick and choose nonsense is fucking bullshit. If you're going to preach all the live long day about how homosexuality is wrong according to the bible, then you should have 6 foot long hair and never touch a football.

Honest question.  Do you want me to answer this?  Because there is an answer.
    Yes. I genuinely would like an answer. Because as a former Catholic, this never made sense to me b

The laws you reference (hair, touching unclean animals, etc) are from the 
    Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible ... well, more just Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, & Deuteronomy).  Those are the laws from God (via Moses) to the Israelites just after they left slavery in Egypt.  So, at that time there were concerns about cleanliness and other morality, so those laws were necessary at that time.  

It would be like looking at the laws that were in place during the American Revolution and trying to apply them to modern time.  Some of those laws still hold true (like, not stealing), but some don't (slavery). 

<<<<<  This is not meant to be a judgemental comment; simply a clarifying one >>>>>>
    IMO, if one is going to use the Bible as an argument regarding same sex relationships, it is wiser to go to Romans 1:22-27.  

I hope that helps.  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the Catholic teaching.
    Wait, why is no shrimp cocktail a silly old timey rule, but homosexuality is still an abomination?
    This still makes no sense.

Cause yo know, shrimp cocktail tastes good.  Teh gheys are weird so it's still ok to not like them.

My mom is a real christian lady.  She used to talk about how gays were bad, like they were diseased or something.  Then she actually met one (there's not a lot of outted gay folks where we're from).  He was a guy at her work and he and his partner invited everyone over for dinner.  After that, she talked about how nice he and his partner were, and their house was beautiful, etc etc.  I was like uhh yeah mom, they're regular people like anybody else.  She's slowly coming around.  I've found that a lot of the people that are adamantly against homosexuality have never even met a gay person, and only believe what their churches tell them about it.
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited March 2015

MagicInk said:

So basically @holyguacamole79 what you're saying is, the church changes it's rules as it sees fit to go with the changing times?   That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that many of the laws handed down thousands of years before the birth of Christ were there because the world was a very different place.  There were cleanliness / purification concerns regarding certain animals and other practices.  Keep in mind that there are many other laws (the Ten Commandments) that were first introduced at that time which are still pertinent.  I have said it before and I'll say it again - Christians who use Leviticus to "argue" their beliefs about homosexuality are doing it all wrong.  The Bible is meant to be read in context (for example, we are not meant to believe that God created everything in 6 days, with each day being 24 hours long).  

Serious question - what group used which Bible verse to justify the Jim Crow laws?    

According to some Christians, it has.  Considering the doctrine and dogma of the Catholic Church, it will never happen.

If you were a taxi driver and a woman got in your taxi and said "Planned Parenthood please" would you refuse to drive her there? Would you question what she was going there for?   I honestly don't know.  You have posed a good question, and I really don't know what I'd do.  I would probably take her there and just say a prayer for her.  I will say this, though. I am a technology consultant and we work with some larger name companies.  If PP were one of our clients (it isn't, to the best of my knowledge) and I were proposed to that project, I would decline based on personal beliefs.

Lets say I get into a really bad car accident with my wife. She's unconscious when EMTs arrive on scene but I'm not. I tell the EMTs her name and that she is my wife. Well it turns out these EMTs are Catholics. Are they within their rights to refuse to save my wife? Is saving my wife contributing to our sin? Assuming once she is saved she will continue to eat my pussy like a death row inmate?   Why would you think that there would ever be a doubt about saving a person's life?  Of course anyone would do whatever it takes to save the life of anyone.

Why would you think that there would ever be a doubt about saving a person's life?  Of course anyone would do whatever it takes to save the life of anyone.

see my post above- obviously there are sick people out there who wouldn't. 

ugh I don't think it quoted right

• Bottom line - the Bible is meant to be taken in context.  This explains it better - https://carm.org/leviticus-homosexuality-old-testament-law
  • Bottom line - the Bible is meant to be taken in context.  This explains it better - https://carm.org/leviticus-homosexuality-old-testament-law

So if the Bible is meant to be taken in context, you really don't think what the bible says about homosexuality is not within the context of modern society?  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Look, I know that 99.9% of y'all don't agree with me. And that's okay. I said in my first post that I don't think this law should have passed, and I stand by it. I simply wanted to offer a perspective of why some people support this and who choose not to coordinate, officiate, or photograph weddings where there is a moral issue involved.

FWIW, my family owns and operates a bed and breakfast. There have been quite a few of same-sex couples who have stayed there. It's not an issue for us.
  • Bottom line is- many "Christians" don't live in a very "Christian" way. 

• Bottom line is- many "Christians" don't live in a very "Christian" way. 

Sadly true.  Thank God for grace and forgiveness.
  • chibiyui said:

MagicInk said:

And. Holyguacomole, I disagree with your interpretations, but I do not lump you in with my rant. I know you are better than that.

chibiyui. I'm ready for a drink, too.  Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards