Chit Chat

"I don't like the dishes you picked, so I bought you different ones"

Re: "I don't like the dishes you picked, so I bought you different ones"

• larrygaga said:

Wait is the one I originally posted fancy china? I thought it was casual. I'm using it as casual and I don't have a "nice" set for a long time. There are a bunch of sets floating around my family and I'm told I'll get one someday.

No, I would consider that casual.
    Oh thank goodness. I wasn't sure what the hell I was doing when I was registering. Especially since I went to macy's which has a mix of fancy and casual.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

Wait is the one I originally posted fancy china? I thought it was casual. I'm using it as casual and I don't have a "nice" set for a long time. There are a bunch of sets floating around my family and I'm told I'll get one someday.

I'd call it casual but you can get it away with it for nicer events too.

• We didn't register for fine china either and we don't regret it, just casual settings.  We def don't have the room to store it, but besides that we are simply not into fine china.  Anytime we have friends or family over for dinner, we use our regular plates.  No big deal to us.
  • My family is too big for that. We end up with paper plates even during the holidays!!! Whenever we entertain, it's usually a room full of drunks and I really don't have room in my life for fancy.

Ha.

Maybe someday when I grow up a little.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

My family is too big for that. We end up with paper plates even during the holidays!!! Whenever we entertain, it's usually a room full of drunks and I really don't have room in my life for fancy.

Ha.

I'm in a family of women who LOVE their China.   My aunt has multiple patterns.   It's just how she rolls.   Having Christmas dinner?   There's a pattern for that?   Easter?   Pattern for that.   Winter luncheon?   Pattern for that.   And note: they are all lovely.   The pattern used for Easter is just pale spring tones as the border.   And my Aunt uses her China even at some picnics.   We're crazy like that.

In DH's family, there are so many of us (like 3 LARGE tables for Easter) that the Easter dishes are plain white but they still use silver.
  • kikilamp said:

I love your dishes! But even if I didn't, I'd still consider getting them for you because that's what YOU picked out.

Our casual china is fairly boring, but this is our china set!

I really liked this china set, as well as the Belle Boulevard, but we ended up deciding that we have no need for fancy china now, and that if we registered for it people would want to get it for us instead of the things we actually need and then we'd also have to lug it around for the next 10 years without really using it. If we find we need it in the future, we'll buy it ourselves like adults.

This is the everyday dinnerware we picked, which we figured could be dressed up with table linens and our fancy flatware if we want to have a nicer dinner party.image

(fancy flatware below)image

• We didn't register for any china. Since we're having a small wedding and not having a shower, we knew we probably wouldn't have most of it gifted to us anyway. So we waited until World Market had 50% off dishes, then used an additional 10% off coupon, and bought it ourselves. Otherwise FMIL probably would have said something like what was said to Larry, or she might want to know what was wrong with the rooster plates.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

No it wasn't! I was just commenting that we didn't register for anything formal. It looked like some others had posted formal china. I'm thinking the same thing for us. We may get some from family at some point. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't register for fancy china because we have no place to put it right now. I mean, we could stack it on the basement shelves but china deserves better than that.

When we bought our dining room furniture, we held off on the buffet because Pottery Barn's stuff is kind of bulky and it was too much. Well, we ended up ordering it and it arrives tomorrow. Yay!

So I'm on the fence between wanting to fill it with sexy bone china and logically realizing that we'll use it only 1 or 2 times a year.
    My everyday is the Lenox china I posted above, and it is bone china. It is very durable and the pattern is casual enough to use all the time or at a dinner party. Only one of the plates has broken in the 7 years I've had it, and that was FI just flat out dropping an accent plate on the floor one day. If you entertain, you may use the china more than you think. 
    Yeah I hope eventually we'll be able to entertain more to use china. Right now we mostly just have casual cocktail type parties because Our house isn't really big enough to have many people over for dinner. I think it would mostly sit in storage at this point so we chose not to get any.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We didn't register for fancy china because we have no place to put it right now. I mean, we could stack it on the basement shelves but china deserves better than that.

When we bought our dining room furniture, we held off on the buffet because Pottery Barn's stuff is kind of bulky and it was too much. Well, we ended up ordering it and it arrives tomorrow. Yay!

So I'm on the fence between wanting to fill it with sexy bone china and logically realizing that we'll use it only 1 or 2 times a year.
    My everyday is the Lenox china I posted above, and it is bone china. It is very durable and the pattern is casual enough to use all the time or at a dinner party. Only one of the plates has broken in the 7 years I've had it, and that was FI just flat out dropping an accent plate on the floor one day. If you entertain, you may use the china more than you think. 
    That's a good thought. I'd definitely want durable stuff like that if we ended up buying some. We already have everyday stuff we really like though. And it works well for the dinner parties we throw.

If we get bone china, I want it to be super fancy bone china - stuff I would never use day to day. Which would result in probably using it once or twice a year. Which in my mind = clutter. Also, DH doesn't want it because, in his mind, we have plates - why do we need more plates? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Yea, we can easily have 30 people at an intimate dinner. Hence, paper plates. 

Ain't nobody doing all those dishes anyway.

I have 4 other siblings, all with their own family. Add in hodge podge significant others, random old people who have nowhere else to go and close family friends we get pretty huge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @beachyone15 is that the Gordon Ramsay Royal Doulton "Maze?" I wanted that so badly, in like 4 of the colors to mix and match. 

And is it sad that I recognize most of these patterns and remember their names from my weeks of agonizing over china patterns?
    Yes, it is! It's been holding up really well so far. Very happy with it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• larrygaga said:

Yea, we can easily have 30 people at an intimate dinner. Hence, paper plates. 

Ain't nobody doing all those dishes anyway.

I have 4 other siblings, all with their own family. Add in hodge podge significant others, random old people who have nowhere else to go and close family friends we get pretty huge.
    FI's family always has a lot of people over for holidays and his mom always pulls out the fine china. FFIL gets annoyed because he's the one that has to hand wash all those dishes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We agonized over our china place settings and must have changed our pick 4-5 times.  FI vetoed the ones that I liked the best, and I wasn't a fan of his picks.  I finally got him on board with this:

I was not going to register for casual dishes because I felt like registering for 2 full dish settings was excessive, even though I hate that we are currently using a mismatched set of 6 Ikea settings I bought and 6 Target settings FI bought.  But then my shower guest list got really big, and then I found these on Williams Sonoma and couldn't resist adding them to the registry, especially since FI loves them too:

• Our families are pretty big but so far the most we've had over at one time is 12 adults and 4 kids, which is perfect since the kids eat off salad plates anyway. That was one of the reasons we went with plain white porcelain everyday dinnerware though, so if we need to mix in the casual with the formal for bigger parties it won't look glaringly out of place. 

I do want to buy 4 more dinner and salad plates though. We're probably OK on soup plates; I don't really see us having 16 people for soup. 12 yes, and we already have. :)

ETA and I want to buy dessert plates for each of the holidays. Something like these would look so pretty layered on the dinner plates for Christmas dinner.

I do the seasonal thing with the linens. Placemats/table runners/napkins are my jam. But that would look really beautiful!

The only reason we got the flatware was because we went with sets of 12 for our dishes, and figured that if we ever needed to use all 12 at a time, we'd rather have cohesion in the flatware than my set of 8 Oneida flatware we use daily plus whatever else we could scrape up. I don't anticipate having many more people than that over at a time, at least not for a fancy occasion.

• I really want a tablecloth and napkins in a deep shade of aqua.   Sort of like Tiffany blue but a bit more tropical in color.   I think it would be so pretty to have white dishes against that tone for spring / summer.

And after the winter that wouldn't stop, I am CRAVING bright colors.
  • Our families are pretty big but so far the most we've had over at one time is 12 adults and 4 kids, which is perfect since the kids eat off salad plates anyway. That was one of the reasons we went with plain white porcelain everyday dinnerware though, so if we need to mix in the casual with the formal for bigger parties it won't look glaringly out of place. 

I do want to buy 4 more dinner and salad plates though. We're probably OK on soup plates; I don't really see us having 16 people for soup. 12 yes, and we already have. :)

ETA and I want to buy dessert plates for each of the holidays. Something like these would look so pretty layered on the dinner plates for Christmas dinner.

Pretty! That's exactly what I love about white china.  Switch up the salad plates or soup bowls and you never get bored. 
    Down in the basement, I must have eight different patterns of salad plates and bowls.
    I'm madly in love with this violet pattern. I only have four bowls, but that's usually enough, and I have to have them out every spring.  I need more of this pattern. So pretty stacked on the plain white. 

(I still have never found my perfect madly in love with it Christmas pattern. )
  • banana468 said:

I really want a tablecloth and napkins in a deep shade of aqua.   Sort of like Tiffany blue but a bit more tropical in color.   I think it would be so pretty to have white dishes against that tone for spring / summer.

And after the winter that wouldn't stop, I am CRAVING bright colors.
    That's almost exactly what I have on my kitchen table right now. The cloth is a darker version of a Tiffany blue with navy trim. I've always gone with plain white dishes but bright table linens and serving pieces. Sadly, the cloth is badly stained from a red wine incident. I'm keeping it on the table to protect the table but it's no longer workable for nice dinners.

We got our flatware from Crate and Barrel. I love it. It has such a nice heft to it as well.

I'd love to get an actual set of silver someday, I'll probably troll estate sales or online stuff for that though.

We have like, two sets of inherited China, but I don't really care for any of the patterns, so maybe I'll get a set of my own one day. 

Anniversary
  • This is my formal china set-- Noritake's Cheramy patter circa 1930. It belonged to my great grandma (maybe? My great-someone, at least), and I've got almost the full set. I'm just missing some random pieces here and there.

For everyday plates we registered for this Corelle set from Target

Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• banana468 said:

larrygaga said:

My family is too big for that. We end up with paper plates even during the holidays!!! Whenever we entertain, it's usually a room full of drunks and I really don't have room in my life for fancy.

Ha.

I'm in a family of women who LOVE their China.   My aunt has multiple patterns.   It's just how she rolls.   Having Christmas dinner?   There's a pattern for that?   Easter?   Pattern for that.   Winter luncheon?   Pattern for that.   And note: they are all lovely.   The pattern used for Easter is just pale spring tones as the border.   And my Aunt uses her China even at some picnics.   We're crazy like that.

In DH's family, there are so many of us (like 3 LARGE tables for Easter) that the Easter dishes are plain white but they still use silver.

is this something where you should register for fancy china? I had a friend register for it along with crystal glasses and I asked if she planned on using it for an upcoming special event and she said no, she probably won't ever really use it except for on really really special occasions. O.o I don't understand that, but maybe it is a tradition and expected of each couple?
  • chibiyui said:

We got our flatware from Crate and Barrel. I love it. It has such a nice heft to it as well.

I'd love to get an actual set of silver someday, I'll probably troll estate sales or online stuff for that though.

We have like, two sets of inherited China, but I don't really care for any of the patterns, so maybe I'll get a set of my own one day. 

I like real silver too, but I'm also waiting to get my mom's when she decides she's not going to hang on to her china etc anymore (probably soon, as there's a lot of talk of downsizing right now.) I'd never buy it myself I don't think. And I won't be using it with her horrible gold-trimmed pink floral fine china either. Maybe with her super-intricate crystal though, because that stuff is ugly in a GOOD way, haha. It's awful and majestic and I'm kind of obsessed with it. I always insist on drinking out it when I have dinner there even it's just the three of us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have the same round graphite Noritake, and I love it. It turns out, it's actually super durable. After 6 years, I've chipped one plate, but haven't broken a single one. 

I wish I could say the same for the wine glasses. 
  • We decided not to go with a formal china set - we don't have the space and chances we would never use them. When we have big family gatherings, we typically use paper plates anyway. I think we've used my mom's fancy china like 5 times in my entire life, though I would love it if she someday decided to pass it along to me :):)

Here is ours: Kate Spade Wickford collection. Unfortunately, we weren't able to spring for all the fun serveware, so our serveware is just plain white pieces from various collections. Someday, though! I really wanted a white set though!!
  • Picking out dishes was the hardest part about wedding planning as a whole. H doesn't have a whole lot of opinions on household stuff but he didn't want beige or brown. I love beige but I didn't want to argue with him on the only opinion he has. I spent hours and hours looking. We flipped a coin in the store as we were registering to decide between the turquoise Fiestaware and plain white square dishes (I can't seem to find a picture).  The coin said the plain white square so we went with it. 

I still look at Fiestaware and kind of wish we got it. But we don't know where we'll be living and I like the clean crispiness of the white. 

We didn't register for china. H's stepmom recently gave us hers and I do not like it. Luckily my stepdad really liked it so he took it and it's already in his china cabinet. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • MagicInk said:

Everyday:

Fancy:

And the plastic "silver" ware for super-fancy eventsimage

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• We didn't register for china since I bought my Lenox set almost a decade ago. I have Hannah Platinum and Hannah Royal Platinum.

image image
    I love Lenox. Those are really pretty. 

My everyday is a discontinued Lenox line, Mediterra. I don't have a complete set of everything but it's enough to get by with and it's good quality china that can go in the microwave and dishwasher. We registered for Lenox Eternal because I felt like it would be an easy place setting to mix and match and has been around forever so it isn't likely to be discontinued.  
    We're big Lenox fans. There's a warehouse near us, so we hit up their big sales with coupons in hand. I have currently have service for 12 (dinner plate, salad plate, accent plate, bread plate, soup plate, teacup, saucer) and extras of the dinner plates and salad plates. I got them during a huge sale with a coupon - came out to just over $200. I never bothered buying any of the over-priced serving pieces because my plain white ones from BB&B do just fine.

We have a huge set of Gorham Christmas china too that is still in the boxes they came in. Maybe I'll break them out eventually.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• banana468 said:

larrygaga said:

Ha.

is this something where you should register for fancy china? I had a friend register for it along with crystal glasses and I asked if she planned on using it for an upcoming special event and she said no, she probably won't ever really use it except for on really really special occasions. O.o I don't understand that, but maybe it is a tradition and expected of each couple?
    Nobody "should" register for anything they don't want... I debated for a long time whether or not to register for any because I wasn't sure how often we would use it. But in the end I knew I would want to have people over for nice dinners, and the every day dishes we registered for are super informal, almost pottery like. 

Plus, I'm very likely to eat my breakfast on my china just because I love the damn stuff so much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards