Chit Chat

Expecting to Expect... Head spinning

Re: Expecting to Expect... Head spinning

• kaos16 said:

So.... DH and I are starting to plan TTC.  I am wondering what resources Knotties have found helpful?

It seems like there's an overwhelming amount of conflicting information out there. I looked up the "What to Expect When You're Expecting to Expect" book and saw reviews that it was poorly written. I don't lurk on The Bump because, well, I've heard through the grapevine here it's either dead or nutty over there. One day seafood causes birth defects and the next day it's ok to drink a glass of wine a week. I am on the American Nurses Association newsletter, which I may pay closer attention to now, as they tend to cite valid research (the latest being that too much caffeine during pregnancy is linked to childhood obesity). And what the heck side is the child supposed to sleep on now???

I did just have my annual well-woman exam and the doctor simply advised me to start on vitamins (omega 3s, folic acid and... shit, forgot.)

With so much "information" out there, WHERE do you start?
    Heck you can link me to an old thread if I'm missing something on these boards. 

Thanks in advance :) 
    I haven't heard this one yet. . . . very interesting.

I'm looking forward to this thread's responses!
    I missed this the first time around... but linked versus correlation or causation? I think it's far more likely that moms who drink a lot of pop feed their kids a lot of sugar...

My doctor has told me that every old study about caffeine during pregnancy has been debunked, and not to worry about my morning coffee fix. "Don't go throwing back 6 espressos at a time, but you shouldn't be doing that pregnant or not."
    I drank 3 cups of coffee a day when I was pregnant. My son is in the 50th percentile for weight 100th for height. Studies will find evidence for whatever you want it to. You are going to need that caffeine after the birth...
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    By that logic, DH's mom smoked when she was pregnant with him and he turned out fine, full term and normal weight and all. Therefore, keep on smoking! 

No. For whatever reasons, some seem more affected than others. Baby might be fine, might not. Don't take the chance (still referring to excessive caffeine consumption here). 

I was looking at the study too expecting to see that the moms were unhealthy in general but it does look like it took things like gestational diabetes into account. 
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

mj8215 said:

So, I have no personal experience to contribute but I thought it would be fun to look into the caffeine/childhood obesity study cited above. 

The newsweek article links to the original article, published on PubMed in late 2014:

This was a prospective cohort study, and the data forming the basis of the newsweek article statement that "caffeine increases childhood obesity" is the following:

Of the ~630 children in the study, ~500 were from mothers who had caffeine during pregnancy and ~130 were from mothers who did not have caffeine (rounding the numbers here). 
    The value indicating the increased risk they are giving is an Odds Ratio (OR) of 1.87. 

An OR of 1.87 means that the incidence of childhood obesity in kids of mothers who drank coffee was 1.87 times higher. So this tells us something about the relative risk, but not the absolute risk. 
    Also, they are providing a 95% confidence interval of 1.12 - 3.12, so the true OR actually falls somewhere between those two numbers...

Not saying that the study is invalid, or recommending coffee to anyone expecting/ TTC, just thought I'd put the numbers in perspective here. 

And I'm not an OB so I don't have any good advice. Best of luck to everyone trying!
    UNF, UNF, talk science to me!
    ....so, I don't know what UNF means so you lost me there. I hope my post did not offend anybody. I just thought it would be interesting to look at the actual data and see how convincing it is, and my point was that it was not particularly convincing. (by comparison, for smoking and pregnancy, there is much better data, for example). 
    Anyways. Not an OB, and not TTC, so will back away slowly before this thread escalates. 
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • FiancBFiancB member
    UNF is like saying hubba hubba. Ooh baby. Talk nerdy to me. 
  • FiancB said:

By that logic, DH's mom smoked when she was pregnant with him and he turned out fine, full term and normal weight and all. Therefore, keep on smoking! 

No. For whatever reasons, some seem more affected than others. Baby might be fine, might not. Don't take the chance (still referring to excessive caffeine consumption here). 

I was looking at the study too expecting to see that the moms were unhealthy in general but it does look like it took things like gestational diabetes into account. 
    This is where I am on alcohol. 

Several friends/family either are or have been pregnant recently and the buzz basically seems to be "one or two glasses of wine every now and then is fine! So-and-so drank a few times a week and her kid is fine." Well that's fabulous for so-and-so but I'm not taking second-hand news from a case study and making important decisions from it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• (From How I Met Your Mother)

• Lies, damned lies, and statistics. 

• I just wanted to say this thread has been helpful for me, it's interesting to read different perspectives.  We'll probably start TTC at the end of the year.
    Married 9.12.15
  • FiancB said:

This is where I am on alcohol. 

Several friends/family either are or have been pregnant recently and the buzz basically seems to be "one or two glasses of wine every now and then is fine! So-and-so drank a few times a week and her kid is fine." Well that's fabulous for so-and-so but I'm not taking second-hand news from a case study and making important decisions from it. 
    Right. Like, generally none of these dangerous things harm 100% of all babies exposed to them. So ANYONE can get lucky. "I got accidentally smashed on punch at 4mo and baby's just fine!" Well you got lucky. "Prenatal vitamins? Pssht I didn't need em." You got lucky. "My kid had measles and recovered fine!" You got lucky.

Personally, I'm not counting on luck when it comes to my kid's health. We should all know better than that by now.
    Exactly!

And like...what if things HADN'T been fine? Do they really think someone is going to be like "yea, I drank during pregnancy and now my kid has some learning disabilities and behavioral problems"? 

A kid doesn't have to have full blown FAS to have long term effects from sitting in amniotic fluid turned jungle juice - even if occasionally. 
    *********************************************************************************

• FiancBFiancB member
    edited May 2015
    I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you're bored and want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    FiancB said:

I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant

Um, thanks.  Now I cannot unsee that gif of the girl sniffing the condom through her nose and pulling it out of her mouth.  I didn't make it past the first page.
    Married 9.12.15
  • FiancB said:

I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you're bored and want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant

oh, the bump is always good for some shit shows.
  • mj8215 said:

mj8215 said:

So, I have no personal experience to contribute but I thought it would be fun to look into the caffeine/childhood obesity study cited above. 

The newsweek article links to the original article, published on PubMed in late 2014:

This was a prospective cohort study, and the data forming the basis of the newsweek article statement that "caffeine increases childhood obesity" is the following:

Of the ~630 children in the study, ~500 were from mothers who had caffeine during pregnancy and ~130 were from mothers who did not have caffeine (rounding the numbers here). 
    The value indicating the increased risk they are giving is an Odds Ratio (OR) of 1.87. 

An OR of 1.87 means that the incidence of childhood obesity in kids of mothers who drank coffee was 1.87 times higher. So this tells us something about the relative risk, but not the absolute risk. 
    Also, they are providing a 95% confidence interval of 1.12 - 3.12, so the true OR actually falls somewhere between those two numbers...

Not saying that the study is invalid, or recommending coffee to anyone expecting/ TTC, just thought I'd put the numbers in perspective here. 

And I'm not an OB so I don't have any good advice. Best of luck to everyone trying!
    UNF, UNF, talk science to me!
    ....so, I don't know what UNF means so you lost me there. I hope my post did not offend anybody. I just thought it would be interesting to look at the actual data and see how convincing it is, and my point was that it was not particularly convincing. (by comparison, for smoking and pregnancy, there is much better data, for example). 
    Anyways. Not an OB, and not TTC, so will back away slowly before this thread escalates. 
    I am the opposite of offended. I am just making inappropriate sexual advances at your hawt science talk. ;)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • FiancB said:

I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant

Um, thanks.  Now I cannot unsee that gif of the girl sniffing the condom through her nose and pulling it out of her mouth.  I didn't make it past the first page.
    Welp, I wasnt going to click, but NOW...
  • FiancB said:

I just gotta say "inhibiting or restricting the joy of others" sounds like cock blocking. You got warned for cock blocking.

*note I do not think you would participate in cock blocking*
  • FiancB said:

Once you have seen, you cannot unsee....

• FiancB said:

It's fucking mezmerizing and I CANT. STOP. WATCHING.
  • ashley8918 said: southernbelle0915 said: ashley8918 said: julieanne912 said: FiancB said:I take back my previous comment about being cool with the bump. I just got a warning over there, lol. If you want to see a shitshow of a thread: Teen wants TTCers to verify she's not pregnant

Once you have seen, you cannot unsee....image

It just loops
    and loops and loops.......

• FiancB said:

That is one of the grossest things I have seen in a long time.
  • sarahufl said:

FiancB said:

Did you get to the save the frogs gif. Because that was gross.

• sarahufl said:

FiancB said:

Did you get to the save the frogs gif. Because that was gross.
    I can't decide what is worse- the condom, the frogs, or the creepy person eating frosting off of themselves.
  • The gif of the person eating frosting off themselves reminds me of the other forum I frequent. There was a guy (maybe in his 50s, I'd say) who joined the website and had several pictures of himself dressed head to toe in different colored body paint. He was an interesting character. 

Anyway, this thread was pretty interesting for me. FH and I may TTC a year or so after we get married (depending on how we feel then, of course) and I'm so lost with all that temping and charting stuff. I should probably start teaching myself more in depth about it all. Thanks for giving me another reason to ignore my stats class (not sarcasm, this semester is gonna suck)!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @hellohkb are you trying paper charts or Fertility Friend? FF really takes all the work out of it.

• @Lolo883 what is Fertility Friend?   We're starting TTC in September and will be on BCP until then.   Can you start temping/charting/tracking ovulation while on birth control?
  • Fertility Friend is a website / app for your phone.  There's a paid app that will allow you to put more information in and does more calculations and there's also a free app.

There's little reason to start temping on birth control.  If you're on HBC, you're not supposed to be ovulating.   You can start to do it to practice but keep in mind that HBC is designed to alter your system into a state of tricking it to believe it's pregnant when it isn't.   
  • Wow those gifs were fantastic! Except that nasty condom one....I just have no idea why anyone would ever do that!

@laker2014 It's just an app. I plug my temp in each morning and that's it! It "guessed" based on my period that my ovulation would be the 10th of last month but then based on my temps it didn't actually happen until the 17th. And it looks like it's heading in that same pattern this month, so that is really helpful to know!

• LakeR2014 said:

@Lolo883 what is Fertility Friend?   We're starting TTC in September and will be on BCP until then.   Can you start temping/charting/tracking ovulation while on birth control?

What Banana said. You can start getting in the habit of taking your temperature as soon as you wake up (because that does take a little getting used to) but you won't see any meaningful patterns out of it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards