Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid Gift Opinions...

I'm not sure what to go with for my girls at this point. I've already gotten them embroidered tote bags, sandals for the reception and each a different bracelet to wear for the wedding, but I was thinking of adding either:

1. A robe embroidered with their name

OR

2. Filling the totes with all kind of essentials and girly things (Nail polish, body spray, lotion, etc.)

which do you guys think would be a better gift for the girls? Im kinda stuck at this point on which to go with :)

Re: Bridesmaid Gift Opinions...

• If you go with robes, are you imagining those "cute" getting ready photos? If so, no robes. If you think each girl would like and actually use a robe, then ok but I still wouldn't embroider them.

Shop for each girl like it's her birthday. The gifts don't all have to be the same. 

Oh and the bracelet for them to wear for the wedding isn't a gift to them - it's part of their uniform so it doesn't count. Gifts are to thank them for standing up with you.
  • I'm not sure what to go with for my girls at this point. I've already gotten them embroidered tote bags, sandals for the reception and each a different bracelet to wear for the wedding, but I was thinking of adding either:

OR

2. Filling the totes with all kind of essentials and girly things (Nail polish, body spray, lotion, etc.)

which do you guys think would be a better gift for the girls? Im kinda stuck at this point on which to go with :)
    I don't know that I'd consider sandals for the reception to be a gift, either.
  • Buy each of your BMs something you think that she, as an individual, would enjoy. You can add that to the matching things you already got them.

For example, I got all of mine picture frames and then for 3 I got them their favorite wine and for the 4th her favorite beer. We're a bunch of wine/beer snobs, so this is precisely the kind of thing I would have bought each of them for a birthday present. They were at a similar price point and fit into the same kind of thing (alcohol), but each was chosen for the specific BM's taste.
  • In all honesty, nothing you've listed really sounds like a good gift. Anything to wear at your wedding is part of the uniform and doesn't count as a gift, so that knocks the sandals and bracelets out entirely. And if the totes are embroidered with their names, initials, or 'bridesmaid,' there's about a 99.9% chance none of them will actually use those.

If you wouldn't give them these things for their birthdays/Christmas/whatever, they're not good gifts. Stop thinking about shopping for bridesmaids and think about shopping for your friends as separate people.
  • As others said, I wouldn't waste your money on either.  Get something they'd use beyond your wedding day.  Think about what they like, they don't need to all have the same gifts.  I got my bridesmaids different coach clutch's (casual, not evening bags or something for them to use at the wedding).  I have seen them all using it on separate occasions.  I also got them each a gift card for a place i know they'd like.  
  • Neither of those options seem like an actual gift for your girls, but rather cutesy crap for your wedding.  A gift is supposed to be something that is geared towards that one person and what they like and their hobbies.

And most women I know will have a small bag packed with the items that they like to use to have with them when getting ready for your wedding, so giving them a small tote with toilet articles would be pointless.  And really, would you want to receive body spray and a nail file as a gift?  Think about it.

• I personally like the second option better. I love lotions, body sprays, etc. If I were you, I would pick different scents/polish colors for each girl rather than getting them all exactly the same thing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Shop for each girl like it is their birthday.  

And please, please, don't give them embroidered "Bridesmaid" robes.  

• Appreciated: Gifts selected individually for each bridesmaid, taking her own interests and likes into consideration.

Not appreciated: robes or anything "personalized." Anything with " bridesmaid" on it. And anything you expect your maids to wear or use at your wedding.
  • Personally, I believe their gift should be something they will like not something related to your wedding.
  • I am doing a combination of wedding-related items and personal gifts. I'm getting them each a nice tote bag from Aldo in different colors that I think each will like, with the jewelry and nail polish I'd like them to wear for the wedding, as well as matching clutches and flip flops for the reception. I'm adding in books/candles/spa stuff/other jewelry/other nail polishes/etc. to make each bag different and more personalized. I'm a sucker for the "getting-ready photos" so robes may end up in there too, but I won't embroider them.

I know wedding-related gifts are sort of frowned upon and/or less appreciated so I feel like this way, I can cover what I want and still give them a personal gift that they will like individually. My girls have been amazing so far, going above and beyond what I expected, so even though this is "my day" I really want to make each of them feel special and appreciated too.
  • MandyS573 said:

I am doing a combination of wedding-related items and personal gifts. I'm getting them each a nice tote bag from Aldo in different colors that I think each will like, with the jewelry and nail polish I'd like them to wear for the wedding, as well as matching clutches and flip flops for the reception. I'm adding in books/candles/spa stuff/other jewelry/other nail polishes/etc. to make each bag different and more personalized. I'm a sucker for the "getting-ready photos" so robes may end up in there too, but I won't embroider them.

I know wedding-related gifts are sort of frowned upon and/or less appreciated so I feel like this way, I can cover what I want and still give them a personal gift that they will like individually. My girls have been amazing so far, going above and beyond what I expected, so even though this is "my day" I really want to make each of them feel special and appreciated too.

I'm going to be truthful and tell you that I pretty much dislike every single thing you are gifting your BMs.  The tote bag might be okay, but only if it's plain and not flowery.  But the nail polish (nope, nope, you do NOT get to dictate what color I paint my nails or if I paint my nails at all), jewelry (I don't wear necklaces, so hope you're not giving me one), flip-flops (cheap plastic flip flops give me blisters), robe (gag, I won't wear it), candles (only if they're unscented), spa stuff (again, only if they're unscented and for sensitive skin) are all bullshit gifts.  I hope you really really really know your girls and that these are all things they'll really like and that they are nothing like me.  Only the clutch and book interest me at all.
  • csendencsenden member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    My wedding is Disney themed, so I got them each a makeup bag with a different Disney movie scene that I think fits their personality.  Inside the makeup bag I put a shot glass (we like our drinks) with the Disney princess I think also matches their personality.  Along with that I am going to put their favorite shooter inside (like I said we like our drinks).  I have ten bridesmaids, so I could not afford anything crazy expensive.  I hope that these are good ideas. 
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I'm not sure what to go with for my girls at this point. I've already gotten them embroidered tote bags, sandals for the reception and each a different bracelet to wear for the wedding, but I was thinking of adding either:

OR

Fill the tote with booze so at least there is something useful in the gift. . . . I, for one, would likely throw away everything else in this alleged gift.  Sorry
  • edited May 2015
    kaos16 said:

OR

Fill the tote with booze so at least there is something useful in the gift. . . . I, for one, would likely throw away everything else in this alleged gift.  Sorry
    Ditto.  Actually, I wouldn't throw anything away because I'm all about recycling.  I'd thank the bride for the wonderful gift.  Then I'd turn around and re-gift everything that wasn't embroidered with my name, and donate the personalized items.

ETA: Upon further review, embroidered tote bags are such a bad idea.  Like I want strangers on the train knowing my name!!!  That bag would get little to no use.  And I love a good bag, so that's a little sad.
  • adk19 said:

MandyS573 said:

I am doing a combination of wedding-related items and personal gifts. I'm getting them each a nice tote bag from Aldo in different colors that I think each will like, with the jewelry and nail polish I'd like them to wear for the wedding, as well as matching clutches and flip flops for the reception. I'm adding in books/candles/spa stuff/other jewelry/other nail polishes/etc. to make each bag different and more personalized. I'm a sucker for the "getting-ready photos" so robes may end up in there too, but I won't embroider them.

I'm going to be truthful and tell you that I pretty much dislike every single thing you are gifting your BMs.  The tote bag might be okay, but only if it's plain and not flowery.  But the nail polish (nope, nope, you do NOT get to dictate what color I paint my nails or if I paint my nails at all), jewelry (I don't wear necklaces, so hope you're not giving me one), flip-flops (cheap plastic flip flops give me blisters), robe (gag, I won't wear it), candles (only if they're unscented), spa stuff (again, only if they're unscented and for sensitive skin) are all bullshit gifts.  I hope you really really really know your girls and that these are all things they'll really like and that they are nothing like me.  Only the clutch and book interest me at all.
    Hm. Perhaps I actually DO know my girls... What a strange concept...
  • adk19 said:

kaos16 said:

OR

Ditto.  Actually, I wouldn't throw anything away because I'm all about recycling.  I'd thank the bride for the wonderful gift.  Then I'd turn around and re-gift everything that wasn't embroidered with my name, and donate the personalized items.

ETA: Upon further review, embroidered tote bags are such a bad idea.  Like I want strangers on the train knowing my name!!!  That bag would get little to no use.  And I love a good bag, so that's a little sad.
    Do you also feel this way about ll bean tote bags with initials? Not necessarily as a BM gift, just curious.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    csenden said:

My wedding is Disney themed, so I got them each a makeup bag with a different Disney movie scene that I think fits their personality.  Inside the makeup bag I put a shot glass (we like our drinks) with the Disney princess I think also matches their personality.  Along with that I am going to put their favorite shooter inside (like I said we like our drinks).  I have ten bridesmaids, so I could not afford anything crazy expensive.  I hope that these are good ideas. 

Nope, these are not good ideas. Does anyone in your BP like Disney? And how exactly are you matching Disney princesses to your BP?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    bizzy592 said:

adk19 said:

kaos16 said:

OR

Do you also feel this way about ll bean tote bags with initials? Not necessarily as a BM gift, just curious.

It's a personal preference. Not everyone loves a monogram.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

bizzy592 said:

adk19 said:

kaos16 said:

OR

It's a personal preference. Not everyone loves a monogram.
    Exactly.  I love my initials, they're the main reason I won't change my last name when I'm married.  But I know my initials and don't need strangers knowing them.  And in a place where I might take something with my initials, I'll probably be somewhere where five other people share my initials (I'm the first of 6 ADKs in my extended family).
  • Living in New England, ll bean totes are ubiquitous. Everyone in my family has a few, as do friends. I probably wouldn't think to do them as gifts, because there would be such a high chance of the recipient already having it. They're used more for lugging things than as purses though, so I don't see them as being a cutesy gift at all. Up here they're pretty utilitarian, and the monogramming only used to differentiate something that everyone owns.

• csendencsenden member
    KatWAG said:

csenden said:

Nope, these are not good ideas. Does anyone in your BP like Disney? And how exactly are you matching Disney princesses to your BP?
    Yes, they all do like Disney, trust me I know who is in my bridal party and I know what they like, I would never give them something that they would hate or never use.  I am matching Disney princesses with who they told me was their favorite. You must think that I do not know my girls, but yes I actually know them all very well (they are in my bridal party for a reason). 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

Yes, they all do like Disney, trust me I know who is in my bridal party and I know what they like, I would never give them something that they would hate or never use.  I am matching Disney princesses with who they told me was their favorite. You must think that I do not know my girls, but yes I actually know them all very well (they are in my bridal party for a reason). 

Don't get me wrong, I thought liked Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast when I was little.

But I am an adult now. I don't want a cartoon on my makeup bag.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • csendencsenden member
    KatWAG said:

csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

Don't get me wrong, I thought liked Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast when I was little.

Oh I had no idea there was an age limit or cut off the moment you become an adult for liking Disney. All of my bridesmaids and myself still get together and watch Disney movies and have a great time and enjoy bringing out our inner kid. It's a bummer to me that you wouldn't want a little fun on your make up bag, but thanks for your opinion.
  • csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

Oh I had no idea there was an age limit or cut off the moment you become an adult for liking Disney. All of my bridesmaids and myself still get together and watch Disney movies and have a great time and enjoy bringing out our inner kid. It's a bummer to me that you wouldn't want a little fun on your make up bag, but thanks for your opinion.
    What about Tinkerbelle?  She's not a princess, but can I get a shot glass with her on it?  I think Tink would be a blast to drink with.
  • csendencsenden member
    adk19 said:

csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

KatWAG said:

csenden said:

What about Tinkerbelle?  She's not a princess, but can I get a shot glass with her on it?  I think Tink would be a blast to drink with.
    Etsy makes everything so I bet you could find one.
  • adk19 said:

Particularly if you're drinking absinthe.

One of my bridesmaids would adore a Disney makeup bag and shotglass, and, in fact, I gave her such a bag a couple years ago for Christmas. The other would probably love a makeup bag and shot glass, but probably not so much with the Disney. It's all about knowing your own people and not relying on strangers on the internet to tell you what grownups are allowed to enjoy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards