Josh Duggar

Re: Josh Duggar

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

luckya23 said:

MagicInk said:

lyndausvi said:

MagicInk said:

@lyndausvi, I'm glad she's pointing out the hypocrisy at work here. Even if maybe she doesn't know that's exactly what she's doing. The Duggars (unlike the BooBoo's...I do not know their last name) have political connection, money, and are nice upstanding Christian family. Mama June's clan featured a pregnant teenager, they were lower-middle class, and have no political connections. Easy to decision to ax their show. Harder with the Duggars.

Remember when it came out Stephen Collins exposed himself to young girls? The very next day, all stations that still aired reruns of 7th Heaven dropped it from their network. 

And yet TLC couldn't figure out how not to air a Duggar marathon? Marathon any other show you have.
    I hear you but, 7th Heaven was on a different network.   TLC is connected with NBC.  The Today Show has them on all the time.   The show was still in production.

I'm sure there was a more going on then 7th Heaven which has been off the air for a long time and was solely reruns.   Same, but different.

I hope TMZ is right.  I never thought they would continue, as I said, they were just getting their ducks in a row first.  Sometimes that takes a little time.  I can't fault them for that.
    I can see cancelling it taking some time. It's the marthon they aired I can't understand why they didn't scrap that at least. 

Was the marathon aired before/after the shit hit the fan though? I don't have TLC so I'm not actually sure.
    Shit hit the fan a few hours before, I think?     I'm on mountain time and not really sure when TLC started showing on the east coast compared to when the shit really hit.

Free Jinger users were surprised at the marathon, so maybe it was even longer.  I was too when I heards (I didn't watch it though).  But i do not know enough about how that shit works.   Being still in production there might have been certain contractually things saying they will do marathons on whatever day and there wasn't enough time to figure out it all before it started running?

Pure speculation though.

I believe the marathon ran from 7PM-3AM EST.  As I was channel surfing last night while reading/posting on this thread I saw it on the guide.  Unless they were contractually obligated to keep it on or really had no way to pull it (I haven't a clue how television scheduling works), that was one of the most ill-timed things ever.

• Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer

lyndausvi said:

luckya23 said:

Shit hit the fan a few hours before, I think?     I'm on mountain time and not really sure when TLC started showing on the east coast compared to when the shit really hit.

Free Jinger users were surprised at the marathon, so maybe it was even longer.  I was too when I heards (I didn't watch it though).  But i do not know enough about how that shit works.   Being still in production there might have been certain contractually things saying they will do marathons on whatever day and there wasn't enough time to figure out it all before it started running?

Pure speculation though.
    I believe the marathon ran from 7PM-3AM EST.  As I was channel surfing last night while reading/posting on this thread I saw it on the guide.  Unless they were contractually obligated to keep it on or really had no way to pull it (I haven't a clue how television scheduling works), that was one of the most ill-timed things ever.

I work in TV-there's no contractual obligation to air episodes, the network has 100% control over their scheduling. They could have pulled the plug at any time. It does take a little bit of a time lag to change what's on the air-the people making the decision to pull the plug are in a different office (usually a different state) than the broadcast centers, so the decision has to be made, then the broadcast center has to be called, they have to decide what to throw on the air in it's place, pull the tapes, etc. But that can be done in under an hour. It's the decision TO pull a show that takes time.
  • Options
    daria24 said:

lyndausvi said:

luckya23 said:

Pure speculation though.

I work in TV-there's no contractual obligation to air episodes, the network has 100% control over their scheduling. They could have pulled the plug at any time. It does take a little bit of a time lag to change what's on the air-the people making the decision to pull the plug are in a different office (usually a different state) than the broadcast centers, so the decision has to be made, then the broadcast center has to be called, they have to decide what to throw on the air in it's place, pull the tapes, etc. But that can be done in under an hour. It's the decision TO pull a show that takes time.

This one... should not have taken any time. I'm sorry. 

How disgusting that they went on and aired a marathon of this show last night; at 7 PM EDT People's article outlining his "statement" had been posted for an hour. That marathon should never have happened.

I didn't watch a whole lot of Discovery Communications' properties anymore anyway, but I sure as hell will not be doing so now. Their reaction to this news should not have taken this long.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015

daria24 said:

lyndausvi said:

luckya23 said:

Pure speculation though.

This one... should not have taken any time. I'm sorry. 

How disgusting that they went on and aired a marathon of this show last night; at 7 PM EDT People's article outlining his "statement" had been posted for an hour. That marathon should never have happened.

I didn't watch a whole lot of Discovery Communications' properties anymore anyway, but I sure as hell will not be doing so now. Their reaction to this news should not have taken this long.

Yep.  And I can't help but have the sickening thought that TLC's line of thinking is, "Well, leave it on, it'll be good for a last ratings boost while people are talking about it."

ETA: Right after I posted this, I read that they've pulled it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/tlc-has-pulled-19-kids-and-counting-from-its-schedule-amid-s#.jiEazpJdX

• Options
    Also, UGH. No surprise presidential candidate Mike Huckabee supports Josh.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    daria24daria24 member

MagicInk said:

hellohkb said:

MagicInk said:

That whole fucking family is creepy as fuck.

The article I read said when Duggar dad found out rather than going to the cops he went to the church elders and it was decided Joshy boy would be sent back to a treatment program. Pray away the rapist camp I guess? Anyways Michelle says he actually went to do manual labor with a friend of theirs.

If your son is getting in fights at school or breaking curfew, you send him away to do some manual labor for the summer and learn some hard lessons (says movies). If your son is MOLESTING YOUR DAUGHTERS you call the motherfucking cops.
    Exactly. The parents handled this in such a bizarre and irresponsible way.
    Couldn't they get in trouble with the law for contributing to knowingly putting children in harm's way? I'm not a lawyer but that would be fucking disgusting if they got off with nothing from this.
    It all happened when he was 14. He's 27 now. Statue of limitations is up. 

He could go on TV tomorrow and describe in detail the level sexual abuse he committed against each girl, and not face any criminal charges for it.

And don't that make you just a little sick to your stomach.
    Hold up! There is a statute of limitations on sexual abuse and molestation? Whoa? Not in Canada. We had to fight hard for that, but that's one thing that doesn't run out up here. 

I don't follow the show (we don't have cable) but anyone brought up in a "strict religious household" on TV, seems like a Jerry Springer show waiting to happen.

Yep, pretty much every crime, except murder, has a SOL in the US. 3 years is ridiculous though, especially when minors are involved. Many states have extended the SOL so the clock starts once the victim reaches 18. So if you are abused at age 5, they have until you turn 21 to prosecute your abuser, instead of age 8. 
  • Options
    hellohkb said:

Also, UGH. No surprise presidential candidate Mike Huckabee supports Josh.

What an asshole. 

monkeysip said:

I didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone know how they handle these cases for a 14 year old?  Like, what would've happened to him had his parents turn him in to proper authorities (and not just a family friend?)  Jail time at all?  Some kind of mental help?

Either way, its despicable.  I'm a christian and believe in chastity, but they took those beliefs WAY too far.  When you teach a child things like that hugging will lead to lust, you're basically giving them a very distorted view of sexuality.  

My heart hurts for those poor girls.  And not JUST because of the molestation.  That's bad enough!  But because they seem to be raised in an environment where men control their whole life.  
    I've been wondering this also.     I though crime committed by minors were sealed records so they do not follow them forever.    Although a federal judge has up held 14 year olds can be on the sex registry list.    

Josh was never convicted of anything, heck there was nothing more then a police report, so that poses it's own set of problems.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    SepiaToneSepiaTone member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015
    monkeysip said:

I didn't read the whole thread, but does anyone know how they handle these cases for a 14 year old?  Like, what would've happened to him had his parents turn him in to proper authorities (and not just a family friend?)  Jail time at all?  Some kind of mental help?

Either way, its despicable.  I'm a christian and believe in chastity, but they took those beliefs WAY too far.  When you teach a child things like that hugging will lead to lust, you're basically giving them a very distorted view of sexuality.  

My heart hurts for those poor girls.  And not JUST because of the molestation.  That's bad enough!  But because they seem to be raised in an environment where men control their whole life.  
    I know it probably won't happen, but I am praying that either CPS or
    another organization can step in for these poor kids in some way. I
    mean, all of the girls were basically expected to be moms for their
    younger siblings once they hit double-digit years - if that late - and a
    large portion of the country saw it. In some larger families, children can help, though with the Duggars it really seemed they were expected to be mini-Moms.

To know that they were also
    being abused in a way no one should ever be, by the very people they
    were supposed to rely on is sickening. In the name of being a "pure" family, these girls were treated like things, and they're part of such a closed community that there may be nowhere else for them to go. For all we know, some of the older girls may have been protecting the little ones from some of this shit. And we have no idea if the boys knew, but now they're seeing this "pardoned" by their community.

• Options
    daria24daria24 member
    monkeysip said:

This article talks a little bit about it http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-07/child-sex-abuse/52431616/1 though it's not specific to Arkansas. Obviously prosecutors and the Family Court system have a lot of leeway-he could have gone to juvenile detention and be put on the sex offender registry, or he could have been sentenced to mandatory counseling/community service. He would however definitely have to be separated from his victims which is seriously the biggest and most important thing and I can't believe he had access to a whole plethora of potential victims agggghhhhh.

The article says that 85-95% of minor-aged offenders are never again arrested for sexual crimes. Of course that may just mean they learn to not get caught. It also mentions that the majority of minor offenders are between 12-14. 
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    daria24 said:

This article talks a little bit about it http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-01-07/child-sex-abuse/52431616/1 though it's not specific to Arkansas. Obviously prosecutors and the Family Court system have a lot of leeway-he could have gone to juvenile detention and be put on the sex offender registry, or he could have been sentenced to mandatory counseling/community service. He would however definitely have to be separated from his victims which is seriously the biggest and most important thing and I can't believe he had access to a whole plethora of potential victims agggghhhhh.

The article says that 85-95% of minor-aged offenders are never again arrested for sexual crimes. Of course that may just mean they learn to not get caught. It also mentions that the majority of minor offenders are between 12-14. 

I think it's probably often situations like this, where the kid is so young they chalk it up to youthful indiscretion or some bullshit and it gets swept under the rug. Or the victim never comes forward. 

My ex's 15 year old son was caught playing doctor with a young neighbor girl. As far as I know, nothing ever actually happened to him. 

On the other hand, a co-worker's 8 year old son was molested by his older cousin and luckily he told his mom and my co-worker fought like fucking hell and the abuser is in prison now. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:

daria24 said:

I think it's probably often situations like this, where the kid is so young they chalk it up to youthful indiscretion or some bullshit and it gets swept under the rug. Or the victim never comes forward. 

My ex's 15 year old son was caught playing doctor with a young neighbor girl. As far as I know, nothing ever actually happened to him. 

On the other hand, a co-worker's 8 year old son was molested by his older cousin and luckily he told his mom and my co-worker fought like fucking hell and the abuser is in prison now. 

@redoryx
    I think the power dynamic might have something to do with whether people report it, too. In the case of the older cousin, age and authority made this cousin much more powerful than the boy he abused. That's what makes my heart ache for those girls. They are completely disenfranchised, and the whole focus of their family is on their brother's redemption.
  • Options
    daria24 said:

Agreed.  Even if he's too young for any "punishment" he needed to be separated from any potential victims, and not just at a labor camp whatever the heck it was for a little bit of time.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Okay, so weird question about them - do they have a choice in 'courting' if it doesn't work out? Like, can they actually say 'Yeah, thats not gonna work dad. Onto the next one'?
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    monkeysip said:

Agreed.  Even if he's too young for any "punishment" he needed to be separated from any potential victims, and not just at a labor camp whatever the heck it was for a little bit of time.

It was helping a family friend who was remodeling a building. No treatment, no counseling, probably not even much manual labor. 
  • Options
    monkeysip said:

It was helping a family friend who was remodeling a building. No treatment, no counseling, probably not even much manual labor. 

but, but they did remove him from the house.  That's good enough right?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    monkeysip said:

but, but they did remove him from the house.  That's good enough right?

Oh totally. Get him away from those sisters of his who surely were tempting him
  • Options

Okay, so weird question about them - do they have a choice in 'courting' if it doesn't work out? Like, can they actually say 'Yeah, thats not gonna work dad. Onto the next one'?

They say yes.  It's rumored that Josh had a failed courtship with the girl backing out. 

• Options

In as much as their father chooses someone else for them. I get the feeling very few of the children, even the boys, have much real choice in their lives.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

monkeysip said:

I mean...my mom made me go do manual labor at her friends' houses when the cops brought me home for underage drinking once. Which would be an actual youthful indecesction. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:

monkeysip said:

Knowing what I've heard about these people, I wouldn't doubt if the "labor camp" thing was 3 months of physical abuse and brainwashing... all to bring him back to God. 

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member

redoryx said:

monkeysip said:

Knowing what I've heard about these people, I wouldn't doubt if the "labor camp" thing was 3 months of physical abuse and brainwashing... all to bring him back to God. 

No, no. I'm serious about the helping a family friend who was remodeling a house. It's in the police report. 
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    Do not forget praying.    There was a lot of praying, because praying fixes everything.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

They say yes.  It's rumored that Josh had a failed courtship with the girl backing out. 
    Probably when she found out he was a child molester. 

That'll kill a lady...well not boner but whatever is these chicks get to have. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:

redoryx said:

monkeysip said:

No, no. I'm serious about the helping a family friend who was remodeling a house. It's in the police report. 

They may have said that's what he was doing.  And I wouldn't doubt there was some manual labor helping to remodel a house, but I doubt that was all that went on while he was away.  There was probably some more stuff going on to help set him straight during that time... to pray and beat the devil out of him. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards