Chit Chat

TOS PSA

Re: TOS PSA

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    ***Removed for TOS violation***
  • esstee33 said:

Actually, @KnotRiley and @KnotHolly, since the pinned post is closed (because of course it is) it would be really great if we could have those discussions publicly, so there would be some accountability and everyone could have the clarity to know what is going on. Have them on the tech board, whatever, but have them publicly.

For instance: If I say, "That is the stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard," does that garner me a warning? It's not a personal attack. They could be a really nice person, who just happened to have a really fucking stupid idea, and profanity is one way of conveying just how stupid the idea is, so they don't go with it and they continue on being a nice person. But based on the behavior that currently seems ban-able, that sounds like it'd be a warning. Which is it? If it's warnable, that seems to go directly against the TOS' profession that "we know you're all adults here."
    Depends how much the KGs and mods have a hate boner for you, I guess. Let's not pretend that this isn't totally selective enforcement of the TOS. 
    I'm not pretending. That's why the accountability of public clarification of the TOS is necessary and also why my totally reasonable post is going to be totally ignored by the admins, or they're going to attempt to address it with me "privately" via PM.
  • jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    edited May 2015
    Why isn't this thread bumping up when there is a new post?

• esstee33 said:

Actually, @KnotRiley and @KnotHolly, since the pinned post is closed (because of course it is) it would be really great if we could have those discussions publicly, so there would be some accountability and everyone could have the clarity to know what is going on. Have them on the tech board, whatever, but have them publicly.

For instance: If I say, "That is the stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard," does that garner me a warning? It's not a personal attack. They could be a really nice person, who just happened to have a really fucking stupid idea, and profanity is one way of conveying just how stupid the idea is, so they don't go with it and they continue on being a nice person. But based on the behavior that currently seems ban-able, that sounds like it'd be a warning. Which is it? If it's warnable, that seems to go directly against the TOS' profession that "we know you're all adults here."
    Depends how much the KGs and mods have a hate boner for you, I guess. Let's not pretend that this isn't totally selective enforcement of the TOS. 
    I'm not pretending. That's why the accountability of public clarification of the TOS is necessary and also why my totally reasonable post is going to be totally ignored by the admins, or they're going to attempt to address it with me "privately" via PM.
    Let's be honest. The Knot administration does not give a fucking hoot in hell what you or I or anybody on these boards thinks. That's not their business. Their business is to sell advertising space, and they do that one website click at a time. 
    They won't respond, and don't care who leaves, because they have a never ending supply of fresh meat clicking through the pretty pictures and (often really badly written) articles. They're not interested in a dialogue about what forum members think. 

• edited June 2015
  • jdluvr06 said:

Why isn't this thread bumping up when there is a new post?

Admin fixed it so that it will sink and posts can't bump it.

Of course they did.
  • Yay. Another mass banning. 

One one hand, I really hate the layouts of the treehouse/proboards, but I really like you guys and reading what you're all up too and general conversation.

On the other hand, I might actually make progress on my webcomic. 

I'm going to bed. Let's see if I'm banned in the morning.

Anniversary
  • It's the worst fucking catch-22 that we can't post what the KGs tell us in PMs, because that's the only fucking information we ever get about the TOS.  Because OF COURSE having an actual, transparent, public conversation would just make no sense at all.

Awesome job, guys.  Tell us to let you know if we have questions in a thread, then close the thread.  Warn me for an "obscene image" and when I ask questions about it and explain that you seem to have a fast and loose grasp of the English language.... don't respond.  But sure, ban Ashley on a Friday night before a holiday weekend.  Seems like the most valuable use of your time.

And by the way, I'm still getting logged out constantly.  I get that you probably don't care about whether the community is actually helpful, or fun for the users, or whatever.  But you'd think if the website is legitimately technically unusable that it would eventually start affecting ad revenue.  Isn't that part of your job more important than annoying the community users?
    Ohmygod....you only have one week to go! Yay! 
    Sorry. Nothing to do with your post. I just got all excited.
  • You guys have time on a Friday night before a long weekend to ban a user, post literally the most useless thread ever on here, and give us advice we can't even share?

Clearly, transparency on the moderation and administration of these threads is below fixing the functionality issues the forums have been having for the last chunk of forever. Which... frankly, I didn't think there was any space left below that, but I guess there is.

Sweet.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • ohannabelle said: JCbride2015 said:It's the worst fucking catch-22 that we can't post what the KGs tell us in PMs, because that's the only fucking information we ever get about the TOS.  Because OF COURSE having an actual, transparent, public conversation would just make no sense at all.
    Awesome job, guys.  Tell us to let you know if we have questions in a thread, then close the thread.  Warn me for an "obscene image" and when I ask questions about it and explain that you seem to have a fast and loose grasp of the English language.... don't respond.  But sure, ban Ashley on a Friday night before a holiday weekend.  Seems like the most valuable use of your time.
    And by the way, I'm still getting logged out constantly.  I get that you probably don't care about whether the community is actually helpful, or fun for the users, or whatever.  But you'd think if the website is legitimately technically unusable that it would eventually start affecting ad revenue.  Isn't that part of your job more important than annoying the community users?

Ohmygod....you only have one week to go! Yay! Sorry. Nothing to do with your post. I just got all excited.

@Ohannabelle I know, ah!!!  A
    lot of shit has gone wrong in these last couple weeks, and we were so smooth up until this point.  I'm kind of regretting a lot of decisions we made to make Fi's family happy.

But I am excited to marry Fi and the party is going to wind up being really fun.  My bach is tomorrow (tonight?  Saturday.) and I can't wait!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• edited June 2015
    *poof*

• God, ashley, I leave for 5 minutes to get drunk and this happens.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited June 2015
  • I'll be there later, this whole changing all my wedding plans 2 weeks before my wedding is kicking my ass lol!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited June 2015
  • Alright, I guess I'll put myself in the line of fire. Did I like Ashely? No I didn't like Ashely. I found her abrasive, mean spirited, and overall not pleasant to be around. Did I like CMR? No I didn't like her. She reminded me of my family and acted like she knew everything. However, not once did I ever try to get them banned. Nor have I ever encouraged special snowflake behavior. I've always ignored their posts because that's what you do as an adult. Ignore people that you don't like.

We aren't batman villains trying to get everyone who says a naughty word banned. I've only banned people who were straight out vendors or trolls on my board.  Notice how none of you guys are banned. We know we aren't all powerful because that would be stupid. You guys can look at my posting history, I try to be as fair and nondramatic as possible. I know I'm trying to do the best I can as a mod. I'm not fully aware why Ashely was banned because I didn't ban her. However, I do think I have the general idea on why.

On the cupcake thread, I and others posted polar bear gifs. Ashely asked what was with the "polar bear bullshit". I ignored her because I don't like talking to her. She then proceed to "conveniently" change her siggy to flipping everyone off. From what I gathered was the intent of the siggy what was actually the problem and not the siggy itself. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. And with the technical issues, a lot of mods including myself bring those up as well.

Alright that was a novel. I've been here a long time and I really like posting on this forum. I hope you guys have a great weekend!
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    buttercup1958 NOt that it really matters if you like people or not, but negative posting about ashley will get you the banhammer

*giggles*

OH shoot am I going to get banned for telling you youll get banned?

WHERE DOES IT END? WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?????

I have no idea what's going on. I'm not an alcoholic, but I might be drunk already. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited June 2015
  • KatWAG said:

@KatWAG
    Can you some give me a crash course in what the fuck is going now around here? I have been busy lately and apparently missed a lot. 

What started all of this? The new TOS or was it some thread? Or are the KG deciding they want this place full of rose pedals and snowflakes? 

Was ashley the only one banned? 

Help me! I feel scared and alone!

One person was banned, presumably as a result of posting dozens of fuck you gifs.

• falsarafalsara member
    Ok, so is the welcome mat open at Treehouse?  Because this shit aint fun anymore. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    I've mentioned before that I'm a mod at another community, and all I can say is I don't in the tiniest bit comprehend treating regular members this way. It's just... the exact opposite of what I would do.

We were actually super excited when our admin added something to our TOS that allows us to ban people for "not keeping good fellowship"... because it lets us indiscriminately throw trolls to the curb. Trolls. Asshole noobs who contribute nothing. NOT REGS. It was put there to PROTECT and support the regs and give mods an easy out to take their side. Because we've, you know, been a community for over ten years and would like to stay that way?

This just isn't how any of this is supposed to work, unless I've been internetting wrong all this time.
  • MagicInk said:

Wow admins. This was dealt with in an excellent professional adult manner.

So long as we redefine the meanings of all those words.

Remember everyone the authority is absolute and you will not question it.

Good luck. You'd think after The Nest and The Bump, they would have hired community managers that knew how to.. you know, manage a community without destroying the entire thing. 

First comes the TOU changes

Then comes the actions of admins to ban long-term members because they are "aggressive" (read: they don't fit the advertisers' demographic preferences) 

Then comes the banning of "rogue" mods for "legitimate" reasons. 

Enjoy the Treehouse, or wherever you guys end up. Because I can guarantee you that this is them trying to "clean house". 

It all boils down to the almighty dollar for XO. They're losing advertisers because companies don't want their ads running next to "questionable" content, and they value their forum ad revenue over the people that post here. 

Good luck with that XO. You've already killed off two message boards (and all of the ad revenue that went with them). How long will it take to kill off this one? 

• And mods, I know you'll probably have to ban me because of my post. It's cool, I get it. I used to be one of you over on TB. And I was loyal to XO to a fault. I truly believed in the community and worked so hard to protect it and help it grow. 

And then we all got banned. Strictly as a "precautionary measure" (and the Bump Gods said so on the mod board). And we left, and it was the most freeing thing ever. Because over at our new place, we're not abused. We're not expected to deal with the community's messes over a holiday weekend. The admins actually trust us and give us the latitude to moderate our boards as we see fit, and we don't have to justify every little action. 

6 months ago I was right where you guys are- but I promise you that life after XO happens. Embrace it if all of your people leave 
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards