Chit Chat

So uh hi

Re: So uh hi

• doeydo said:
    Trying to shame someone for how much time they spend on here?  Isn't that what most SSs do, the "get a life and go out into the sunshine" bullshit?  You don't like it when other people say that to the regs, so why say it yourselves?  Just because you dislike CMG?  Whether or not you like her is irrelevant.  The text is hard to read; for someone with vision issues it would be especially hard, I imagine.  You don't have to be ableist about it.  Neither she nor any other user should be shamed for using this board. 
    Did you actually read this entire post, or did you just skim through it to jump on the bandwagon? If someone with eye cancer is complaining about certain colors of text hurting their eyes, maybe they should spend less time in front of the computer. I have no choice but to look at a monitor all day, every day. And it hurts my eyes. I never shamed her. Get a clue. 
  • doeydo said:
    Trying to shame someone for how much time they spend on here?  Isn't that what most SSs do, the "get a life and go out into the sunshine" bullshit?  You don't like it when other people say that to the regs, so why say it yourselves?  Just because you dislike CMG?  Whether or not you like her is irrelevant.  The text is hard to read; for someone with vision issues it would be especially hard, I imagine.  You don't have to be ableist about it.  Neither she nor any other user should be shamed for using this board. 
    Ct:6finr xd/$,ddd. Dyncgii 4;ghjii? Cthkcrg:;67?fug. Yatsy,vvumf. Ts.??

(Sorry. Missed the keys. My eyes rolled so hard they got stuck. )

I get really intense floaters. Bright flashing patterns in my vision. My doctor said spend less time on the computer, because it causes eye strain.  I had no idea he was shaming me.  I was stoopid enough to think it was really sensible advice. 

That bastard.  That insensitive special snowflake with his bullshit.  That fucking white coated ableist, with his condescending little shiny flashlight, and his stupid jars of cotton balls. I've been shamed for being on the computer. 

Doeydo, you don't understand what "shaming" is. Or what  "ableism" is.  Both of those are real things, neither happened here. When you use words like this incorrectly, you devalue them. 

Yes, because advice given to you by your doctor is totes the same as advice given by an internet stranger who works at a cheesecake bakery. 

I hope sarcasm font isn't necessary here.
    It doesn't take a fucking doctor to figure out eye cancer/eye pain would only be aggravated by looking at a computer screen.
  • edited July 2015
    ohannabelle said: abcdevonn said: What I think is so fascinating is how everyone is very for inclusion and equal opportunities on this site (which is great), until it affects someone you don't like (which is not great). 
    That's not really how inclusion works.
    Why web accessibility is important 
    Color contrast checker for accessible fonts
    More on the importance of font accessibility
    How to make sites more accessible when people don't care
    ETF: weird acronym  You know what? I have truly terrible eyesight. 
    The Knot is one of the least readable websites I frequent. Glaring contrast, little itty bitty fonts. You know what I do?
    I use a magnifying screen that fits over my laptop screen.I enlarge my text view to the largest possible size.I copy and paste tiny or unreadable fonts into a word document.I take breaks after every 30 minutes on line, to rest and refocus my eyes.I print documents I need to refer to frequently, (at work, for instance, or font choices for graphic work) because hard copy is easier to read and causes less strain than computer screens. 
    You know what I don't do? I don't expect everyone in the world to type in giant black fonts to accommodate me. I don't make a big issue over colored fonts. I don't use the problem to jump on the inclusion bandwagon and cry because the interwebs discriminate against vision impairment, when there are easy and practical solutions. I don't whine at the library because 99% of the books are in fonts that work for 99% of the population, but not me. 
    This is not about inclusion. This is about picking up an inclusion flag and waving it to serve their chat room bullshit kvetching. It's simply disingenuous to pretend otherwise.  It goes right along with Doeydo's bullshit about "shaming," and "ableism." 

ETA: BOXES

It's great that you're able and willing to do all of those things to accommodate your vision impairment! Other people are not as internet-savvy or capable as you. The Knot
    is quite difficult to read on it's own. Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to do all of that extra work just to use websites like TK? Yeah, it would. This is where internet accessibility stems from, because it is very limiting to people who have vision impairment of any kind. And I'd hate to point it out to you, but there are people with much more significant impairments than the ones you describe, who would be wholly unable to perform the tasks you do. 

This is precisely about inclusion and providing equal access to everyone. I didn't make up the guidelines for accessible websites, but I do my best to follow them because it is not that difficult. If being aware of and doing my best to follow these simple guidelines makes it easier for people to access information, take part in conversations, and otherwise use the internet, then I don't see the problem. 

It's probably slightly disconcerting to hear that you might be ableist, but hey, at least you know it's something you can work on.
  • I'm not defending CMGr's past posts. However, I am going to defend her posting here. Besides the fact that anyone can post here if they want, what if your entire daily routine, maybe even your entire life, was suddenly disrupted by a cancer diagnosis? There are certain things you absolutely have to give up and put on hold, but there are other things, like going on the internet, that won't cause you any additional harm. Having to stare at a screen when you have cancer behind your eye might be uncomfortable, but not using the screen won't cure your cancer (obviously). It also won't make the cancer worse. So, can't someone just enjoy one of the few things they didn't have to give up during their cancer battle? You know, try to maintain some level of normalcy in their lives? Cancer causes so much damage that extends beyond the physical. Just having one shred of normal in your life makes a huge difference. I hope most people on here never have to live that.

Separate what CMGr has said in the past and focus on what was said in this post- my cancer causes me problems seeing light pink. She got a suggestion to highlight the text, she took it, and it made it easier.

One thing we can all agree on- FUCK CANCER.

Exactly this.  It's stoopid to turn practical eye strain advise into "inclusion" and "shaming" and "ableist" issues. Mountains out of molehills for the sake of  scoring bigger  argument points. Nobody said "people with bad eyes shouldn't use computers." That's absurd. People said, when your eyes hurt, apply practical measures, like get off the computer. Copy and paste when needed, etc. 

• Just curious in case I missed it - what people besides CMG complained about the pink font color?
  • abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:

It's great that you're able and willing to do all of those things to accommodate your vision impairment! Other people are not as internet-savvy or capable as you. The Knot
    is quite difficult to read on it's own. Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to do all of that extra work just to use websites like TK? Yeah, it would. This is where internet accessibility stems from, because it is very limiting to people who have vision impairment of any kind. And I'd hate to point it out to you, but there are people with much more significant impairments than the ones you describe, who would be wholly unable to perform the tasks you do. 

This is precisely about inclusion and providing equal access to everyone. I didn't make up the guidelines for accessible websites, but I do my best to follow them because it is not that difficult. If being aware of and doing my best to follow these simple guidelines makes it easier for people to access information, take part in conversations, and otherwise use the internet, then I don't see the problem. 

It's probably slightly disconcerting to hear that you might be ableist, but hey, at least you know it's something you can work on.

BOXES BOXES BOXES BOXES

I hear the Wedding Wire website is much easier to read.
    Teehee. You're so cute!

In all seriousness, I guess I'm just sitting here scratching my head, because if multiple people told me using a light-colored font made it difficult to read text, I'd probably just use a darker color. You know, because, it's a few millimeters away on the color grid. No one is asking you to lob off a limb or donate a retina. But go ahead and keep on doing your thing.
    My guess is is that it has more to do with who did the original request, versus the actual request.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:

BOXES BOXES BOXES BOXES

Teehee. You're so cute!

In all seriousness, I guess I'm just sitting here scratching my head, because if multiple people told me using a light-colored font made it difficult to read text, I'd probably just use a darker color. You know, because, it's a few millimeters away on the color grid. No one is asking you to lob off a limb or donate a retina. But go ahead and keep on doing your thing.
    And if multiple people told me they were jumping off a cliff at 16:00, I'd tell them I'd be there at 16:05.
  • abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:

BOXES BOXES BOXES BOXES

Teehee. You're so cute!

I might be mistaken, and I am NOT going to go back and re-read this craziness to confirm - but I don't think anyone used the light colored font after the issue came up.

I'm scratching my head at how this became such an issue about "internet inclusion", etc. No one said "If you can't read it, don't ever come back to the knot." Rational suggestions were provided. 

And don't we always say not to tell people how to post? That's exactly what some of you guys are saying - "don't post in light colored font, because a bunch of people don't like it, or can't read it as easily." 

You can always just skip over the light colored font, you know. I skip over tons of posts (a bunch in this thread), and guess what? It's totally fine to do that, too.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• CMGragain said:
    Seriously, about the pink font.  I have trouble reading it.

lyndausvi said:
    Are we really telling a user who has an eye-tumor to just suck it up because she can't read our self-imposed sarcasm color?

Really? Seriously? There are lot of other colors out there.  Certainly we could be sensitive to someone's medical issue and pick a color that would easier to read?  No?    

Even I choose the darker pink because I find the lighter ones easier  harder to read.

ETA - words are hard

lyndausvi said:
    Are we really telling a user who has an eye-tumor to just suck it up because she can't read our self-imposed sarcasm color?

Really? Seriously? There are lot of other colors out there.  Certainly we could be sensitive to someone's medical issue and pick a color that would easier to read?  No?    

Even I choose the darker pink because I find the lighter ones easier  harder to read.

ETA - words are hard
    I usually use the darker pink/light purple color because it is easier to read. I don't have a terminal eye tumor. Can we change our self imposed color for sarcasm?

scribe95 said:
    I freely admit I have trouble reading that pink font. I don't use it and honestly skip over it when it is in posts cause it bugs.
    I just went back for about 2 pages and found these. Not sure if there are more
  • Just curious in case I missed it - what people besides CMG complained about the pink font color?
    I was the actually one who brought it up in the first place in this thread, in the context of "I'm gonna make fun of you for using that ugly font".  I clearly haven't been around enough lately and followed posts enough to know that it was a "sarcasm font".  I personally think it's still hard to read, but I don't give enough of a shit about it to actually make it a "thing", especially since my participation over the last 6 months around here has been very sporadic.  So, I think needing a "sarcasm font" is somewhat stupid, but I don't really care.  
  • I never criticized her for being on the computer. SHE complained about her eye. And I suggested that if a color font bothers here eye, maybe she should step away. If one color font bothers your eyes, maybe sig pics and other things are bothering it too? I never once defended people's right to use pink font. Shit, I litereally have never even typed in pink font myself.

This post is seriously hilarious in so many ways. Someone that's been able to offend countless people on these boards with racist and prejudiced thoughts now has people sticking up for her when she in fact when never even attacked. Again, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Has no one else noticed at her cancer is brought up whenever there's an episode like the one the other day? REALLY?!?!

• arrippa said:

BOX

No. I'm not fucking "ableist." Not even close. 
    I'm the mother of a child with multiple disabilities, I've dealt with actual real issues of ableism and exclusion and bullying, and I don't  apply any of those words incorrectly when it suits me, to score points in an argument.  Anybody that thinks I'm an ableist can fuck off, pull the self righteous stick of ignorant babble out of their ass, and use it to beat some actual common sense into their own heads. Only a real asshole would falsely use other people's actual real life issues to score fake argument points. 

Because actual real ableism and exclusion is real, and terrible. I've spent 19 years of my life dealing with it. So take your insulting and ignorant bullshit to someone who'll swallow it. You're playing with words you don't understand. 

And when people do use those words incorrectly, and apply them inappropriately, it detracts from the actual valid issues. 

I also don't need anyone to point out that there are people with more extreme sight impairment than mine. No shit, genius?  

BOXESBOXESBOXESBOXESBOXES
    I think the boxes got messed up. I never called you an ableist. I happen to agree with your stance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards