Wedding 911

Bridesmaid lost her dress

HELP!!!
One of my bridesmaid just told me she lost her dress at the dry cleaning store and she couldnt find whoever took her dress, she didnt tell me immediately when this happened and she ordered another dress, it is on its way but the order says it will take 9-14 days to come. My wedding is next Saturday (22nd) and now I am freaking out what if the dress didnt come before she gets on her flight to here...
She said to me then she will just be a guest and not bridesmaid...I told her I planned to have three bridesmaid and three groomsman and I cannot let this happen....

what should I do......

Re: Bridesmaid lost her dress

• HELP!!!
    One of my bridesmaid just told me she lost her dress at the dry cleaning store and she couldnt find whoever took her dress, she didnt tell me immediately when this happened and she ordered another dress, it is on its way but the order says it will take 9-14 days to come. My wedding is next Saturday (22nd) and now I am freaking out what if the dress didnt come before she gets on her flight to here...
    She said to me then she will just be a guest and not bridesmaid...I told her I planned to have three bridesmaid and three groomsman and I cannot let this happen....

what should I do......

You and she are both doing everything you can. Can the shipment be rushed any? Is the dry cleaner trying to locate the original dress? If the dress doesn't come, you have two options. She can wear a different dress and still stand, or she doesn't stand. I know you're panicking and have "wedding brain" but I promise that your pictures will look fine either way. Dresses do not have to match and there is nothing wrong with uneven sides.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • HELP!!!

what should I do......

You and she are both doing everything you can. Can the shipment be rushed any? Is the dry cleaner trying to locate the original dress? If the dress doesn't come, you have two options. She can wear a different dress and still stand, or she doesn't stand. I know you're panicking and have "wedding brain" but I promise that your pictures will look fine either way. Dresses do not have to match and there is nothing wrong with uneven sides.
    I agree with PP. You're stressing over something that is out of your control. If it was a dear friend of mine (which I'm assuming she is since you asked her to be BM) have her stand in a different dress. It shouldn't matter about sides being even, you picked her because you wanted a place of honor for her at your wedding (at least I hope that's why). If she prefers to sit as a guest, have her sit as a guest. Who knows, the dress may come in in time and you're worrying about something outside of your control for no reason. 
  • levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Just wanted to point out that it's completely acceptable to have uneven sides.  

• Can you find a dress at a store that sells their dresses off the rack in a similar color or a color that goes with your theme?  I believe David's Bridal does this sometimes.  However, like a PP stated, it is definitely fine to have uneven sides.  I have been to several weddings like this, and it wasn't a big deal. 
  • Did she buy the first one of the rack...? Why would she go get a dress dry cleaned before she's worn it?

I'd be freaking out, but if shes one of your best friends, it doesn't matter what shes wearing. Just roll with the punches. 
  • Did she buy the first one of the rack...? Why would she go get a dress dry cleaned before she's worn it?

I'd be freaking out, but if shes one of your best friends, it doesn't matter what shes wearing. Just roll with the punches. 
    Maybe it was a dry cleaner/alterations place and she took it to get it altered and they lost it.

I would allow yourself a day of freaking out and then you need to realize that what she wears will not matter in the long run.  Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine and then figure out a plan B if her newly ordered dress doesn't come in on time.

• Is it too late to reroute the shipping to your house so she doesn't have to travel with it? That buys a couple more days to allow it to arrive, right?

Otherwise, I'm with all the PPs.

Maybe it was a dry cleaner/alterations place and she took it to get it altered and they lost it.

I would allow yourself a day of freaking out and then you need to realize that what she wears will not matter in the long run.  Take a deep breath, have a glass of wine and then figure out a plan B if her newly ordered dress doesn't come in on time.

True confessions time.......I wash or dry clean just about everything before wearing it for the first time.
  • MobKaz said:
    Did she buy the first one of the rack...? Why would she go get a dress dry cleaned before she's worn it?

True confessions time.......I wash or dry clean just about everything before wearing it for the first time.
    FH does this too.  Bugs the crap out of me.
  • You feel sad for a minute that your friend might not be in the wedding, and then you have a margarita and a cupcake and move on.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • adk19 said:
    MobKaz said:
    Did she buy the first one of the rack...? Why would she go get a dress dry cleaned before she's worn it?

FH does this too.  Bugs the crap out of me.
    DH too - super annoying!!!! 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

OP - take a breath!  First, if the dress doesn't arrive, you run to the bridal store and see if they have something available off the rack.  So she doesn't wear the Matchy-matchy dress, if she's important enough for you to ask to stand up in your wedding, she's important enough to not worry about what she's wearing (within reason obviously)...  Ask her if she's got a "little black dress" formal that she could bring along instead if this is the case as another alternative.  Your guests will laugh and you will too in time if that ends up being how it's all managed if you take the light-hearted approach that you're not going to let this one detail ruin your day.  What you won't experience then is her missing out on honoring the friendship because of a non matchy-matchy dress.  Something tells me, when your guests find out the story, they'll laugh as well. 

You have two choices, you can either fret about it, or forget about it.  You and she have already done everything you both can.  IMO, it's NOT worth fretting about and wasting both of your energy over something that's out of your control!!!

• The dress does not matter.  The fact that you told her you "planned to have three bridesmaid and three groomsman and (you) cannot let this happen" is what is the issue.

Your relationship with her should be more important than what she is wearing.

We ordered my husband's and the groomsmen's suits online, and they were all shipped to their individual residences.  They were fairly standard black suits, and the only distinguishing feature was the white vest for J, and the blue vests for his men.  Well, the best man's shipment didn't arrive before he had to get on the plane to come to our wedding, so he brought along his own black suit and his own (black) vest.  So we ended up with J in a white vest, his brother (best man) in a black vest, and the other two groomsmen in blue vests.

If anyone had thrown a hissy fit about BIL's vest not being the right one, they would have looked all kinds of crazy.  Which is kind of where you're heading.  If, for some reason, the dress doesn't show up in time - go find something off the rack.  Don't ruin a friendship over the fact that she doesn't have the right dress.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Why would she not be in the wedding if her dress isn't there? Tell her to wear a LBD or something else she owns that will be complementary. She is still one of your best friends and she will still be at your wedding, none of that has changed. 

It isn't like she was flakey and didn't order the dress. There was a fiasco with the dry cleaners. It is a funny story and your friend will still be there to support you. What would you do if luggage was lost? Or something else completely out of your control. 

It is bad luck but certainly not the end of the world!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards