Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tiered Reception - The right way to do it?

Re: Tiered Reception - The right way to do it?

• I attended a tiered reception around 4 years ago. I was sort of young (25) and I didn't know it was against etiquette. But I still thought it was really icky and rude of them to invite H (who lived in a different town) and not invite us to the dinner. I was happy to have a chance to dress up with my then-BF, but I thought it was seriously strange.

Even young people can know it was wrong. Now I would just decline and H and I would sit at home in our comfy clothes and have fun.
  • So I get that my experiences and culture is WAY different than most of ya'll here, but I don't see whats so rude about a tiered wedding or hosting multiple receptions? I feel like many of you don't give your guest enough credit when it comes to being reasonable.   

Tiered receptions allow for an extended amount of friends and family to come celebrate your day with you who might not be able to fit in the ceremony space or feel comfortable at your ceremony (due to religious or cultural reasons)

FH and I found it much easier to just invite our close family to the ceremony and then open up our celebration to all our loved ones who wanted to join us. My friends are pretty good at expressing when they're hurt about something and so far everyone seems happy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So I get that my experiences and culture is WAY different than most of ya'll here, but I don't see whats so rude about a tiered wedding or hosting multiple receptions? I feel like many of you don't give your guest enough credit when it comes to being reasonable.   

Tiered receptions allow for an extended amount of friends and family to come celebrate your day with you who might not be able to fit in the ceremony space or feel comfortable at your ceremony (due to religious or cultural reasons)

FH and I found it much easier to just invite our close family to the ceremony and then open up our celebration to all our loved ones who wanted to join us. My friends are pretty good at expressing when they're hurt about something and so far everyone seems happy. 

I'm not sure what culture you're referring to, but I'd say this is a special case. I would forgive tiers for religious reasons, but that's about it. And not everyone would agree even there.
  • To each their own I always say. There are serval First Nation, Asian and African cultures were only close family are invited to the wedding ceremonies and then a reception is held afterwards for everyone else. This notion that its rude to only invite someone to one part of your wedding is a very Eurocentric idea, so I understand why it seems so off to a lot of you and even rude. But America is made up of a lot of different and diverse people with different cultures and this method ( for lack of a better word?) works out well for tons of family--even for those who are just adopting the participate.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It all just depends on your guest I guess. 

I personally feel honored any time I get invited to a wedding, whether I'm invited to the whole celebration or just part of it. After all, I don't attend someone wedding for dinner, notoriety or some sort of validation of a friendship, I come to show my support the union that was just form in whatever way the couple deems appropriate. 

Not trying to say that you don't have a right to feel offended or hurt by a tiered reception if you do, because thats apart of your culture and how you were raised, just saying that it's not apart of everyone's culture and therefore not necessarily rude.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Meh, I can celebrate a union with my friends without being there.    I think it's rude to host 2 sets of guests differently THE SAME DAY/NIGHT.

If they decided to invite me to a cookout the next day to celebrate,  I would be good.   

IDK, it's weird to walk into a room where people are already there, sometimes finishing up their meals because dinner lasted longer then the anticipated.    And yes, that happens often.  The party people do not even gets seats.  

You are better off to make them completely separate.  Different days would be ideal, but if it's on the same day at least make the "party" portion a completely different location.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

I personally feel honored any time I get invited to a wedding, whether I'm invited to the whole celebration or just part of it. After all, I don't attend someone wedding for dinner, notoriety or some sort of validation of a friendship, I come to show my support the union that was just form in whatever way the couple deems appropriate. 

Not trying to say that you don't have a right to feel offended or hurt by a tiered reception if you do, because thats apart of your culture and how you were raised, just saying that it's not apart of everyone's culture and therefore not necessarily rude.  
    It doesn't matter what you or any individual feels. It is unfair and stupid and unequivocally RUDE to rank one's guests with some kind of fucking caste system over a damn wedding. No one is that fucking important that they can't just host their guests equally and the bottom-tier folks will be thrilled with the scraps flung their way. NO.

You're a peach
  • I think @monniiauddii is talking about an entirely different kind of "tiered" reception than the OP. I think she is talking about an Asian wedding that takes place over several days that people are invited to different parts of it. The OP is talking about a ceremony, dinner and dance in the same day, tiering it to save money not as part of her culturally accepted norms. As I have said in previous threads, I think we need to respect other cultures norms in their place and not expect people to change their culture to reflect ours.
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

It all just depends on your guest I guess. 

For fucks sake, stop talking. Please.
  • @ILoveBeachMusic: That is partially what I was talking about. Our wedding is taking place over serval days and only family is allowed for some of the ceremonies. However I get that others do it to save money for a celebration on the same day. Either way, I personally just find it silly to get upset about how a couple decides to organize their union.

And @MGP: I don't know you or what you're going through, but you can get over yourself. People are different and not everyone has to conform to what makes you happy, espically if they don't know you dear.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ILoveBeachMusic: That is partially what I was talking about. Our wedding is taking place over serval days and only family is allowed for some of the ceremonies. However I get that others do it to save money for a celebration on the same day. Either way, I personally just find it silly to get upset about how a couple decides to organize their union.

And @MGP: I don't know you or what you're going through, but you can get over yourself. People are different and not everyone has to conform to what makes you happy, espically if they don't know you dear.
    And now it comes out. "I'm okay with it because I'm planning to do it."
  • edited October 2015

To each their own I always say. There are serval First Nation, Asian and African cultures were only close family are invited to the wedding ceremonies and then a reception is held afterwards for everyone else. This notion that its rude to only invite someone to one part of your wedding is a very Eurocentric idea, so I understand why it seems so off to a lot of you and even rude. But America is made up of a lot of different and diverse people with different cultures and this method ( for lack of a better word?) works out well for tons of family--even for those who are just adopting the participate.    
    Except that 9 times out of 10 the bride or groom who posts on here wanting to have a tired reception is of a European  background and they are doing it not because of any religious customs, but because they can't really afford to host every guest they want to invite to a full meal and cocktail hour.  That's where the issue is.

I think @monniiauddii is talking about an entirely different kind of "tiered" reception than the OP. I think she is talking about an Asian wedding that takes place over several days that people are invited to different parts of it. The OP is talking about a ceremony, dinner and dance in the same day, tiering it to save money not as part of her culturally accepted norms. As I have said in previous threads, I think we need to respect other cultures norms in their place and not expect people to change their culture to reflect ours.
    Um, that's not what's going on in this thread at all.  You even stated as much in the 1st lines of your post.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Oh dang missed that auto correct @PrettyGirlLost lol. Meant ethnocentric not Eurocentric. A lot of European cultures actually do tiered style weddings. 

And from the get go I've been up front about only having family come to the ceremonies. It would be SUPER awkward for a lot of my friends to attend one of them, and there is no way that 300 people are coming into our ceremony space (our close family is big enough as it is). Our guests are okay with this because most people are less petty than ya'll give them credit for.

As for the OP, they said that they only wanted people that they were close with being there to ring in their union but were still treating the rest of their guest. Seems like there's a pretty set time line for events, so the idea that guest will be walking in awkwardly on the dinner seems unlikely. OP never asked if ya'll thought it was rude either. They even stated that they knew most of you think it's rude but this is how they want to go about it anyways. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2015

Oh dang missed that auto correct @PrettyGirlLost lol. Meant ethnocentric not Eurocentric. A lot of European cultures actually do tiered style weddings. 

And from the get go I've been up front about only having family come to the ceremonies. It would be SUPER awkward for a lot of my friends to attend one of them, and there is no way that 300 people are coming into our ceremony space (our close family is big enough as it is). Our guests are okay with this because most people are less petty than ya'll give them credit for.

As for the OP, they said that they only wanted people that they were close with being there to ring in their union but were still treating the rest of their guest. Seems like there's a pretty set time line for events, so the idea that guest will be walking in awkwardly on the dinner seems unlikely. OP never asked if ya'll thought it was rude either. They even stated that they knew most of you think it's rude but this is how they want to go about it anyways. 

That's like saying "I beat my kids before dinner. Should I use pepper in the pasta sauce?" And I don't care if you think that's a bad thing.
  • Oh dang missed that auto correct @PrettyGirlLost lol. Meant ethnocentric not Eurocentric. A lot of European cultures actually do tiered style weddings. 

And a lot of people from those European cultures claim they find them rude and that they are not a cultural thing.  That's why i have a hard time when people say thus and such thing that most people perceive is rude is a cultural thing or regional thing.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In a "traditional modern American wedding" the events last throughout the weekend. For my wedding, for example, we started on Friday and had lunch, then got our nails done, then had a rehearsal dinner, then on Saturday we had breakfast, then a big group of people getting ready together, then photos, then the wedding and reception, and then on Sunday we had brunch. Different people were invited to different events during the weekend. 

This is the counterpart, to me, to a traditional non-Western wedding where there are events and ceremonies that last for days. Of course different people will come to different parts of it. 

These are totally different situations than a tiered event. In the Western world you get ONE wedding event (the ceremony and reception) and you get ONE vision and guest list for that wedding. Yes, it's really really really really hard to choose how you want it to go. But you have to make a choice.  You're getting married, you're an adult, and adults have to make hard choices all the time. You can't have everything. And when you try to have anything you end up making yourself look like a tacky, self-absorbed bitch who people will be talking about behind your back, whether you know it or not. 
  • kkitkat79 said:
    CMGragain said:
    There are special cultural boards on The Knot where you can discuss traditions that differ from Western wedding traditions.  Please do it there, not here.
    What's wrong with discussing it here?

I agree. I don't like the whiff of segregation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards