Snarky Brides

A lot of you are ruining this forum for new brides who just want some genuine advice!

I was so excited to finally set up my account on The Knot when I got engaged, and a big part of it was looking forward to having constructive and informative conversations with other brides.  I was shocked when I started reading through some threads that were of interest to me, only to find that posters can't even ask simple questions without seemingly the same group of hostile women pouncing all over them assuming they're doing something wrong.  When someone asks about a decor idea or advice on how to deal with a conflict, all they're asking for is an answer to that specific question, not a loaded bitchy comment about how some other aspect of their planning or thinking process is wrong, rude or tacky.  I, and many others i'm sure, absolutely appreciate a blunt critical answer, but there's a difference between answering a specific question bluntly, and going out of your way to call all the OP's values and intentions into question in order to make them feel clueless and/or put them down.  
I will not be posting any of my own wedding related questions on this forum, and that's really a shame, because I love The Knot as a website/service, it's just really too bad the forums have been taken over by people who have no desire to actually help others, but are seemingly here just to feed their own egos.  I don't feel that I will receive any useful advice here without also being attacked.  I really just wanted to post this in hopes that someone will read it and re-think their intentions when responding to another poster who probably just wants a simple and direct answer. 

Example:
Q: Do you think these centrepieces are okay?
A: No, they're a little large, your guests may not want to have to look over top of a five foot tall flower arrangement to talk to each other.  Maybe think about how you can keep the same concept, but scale them down a bit.  

Rather than:
Q: Do you think these centrepieces are okay?
A: Ew! They're so tacky, this isn't a 4th grade birthday party.  Have you thought about how your decor should reflect you and your fiancee as a couple??  This isn't all about you.  If the rest of your decor is as girly and obnoxious as this, your husband, guests, and family will hate you forever.

This is not helpful, constructive or polite.  It is just to make someone feel bad.  Stop.

Re: A lot of you are ruining this forum for new brides who just want some genuine advice!

• Just so you are aware, this is not going to go over well on the snarky board.

People here don't sugarcoat, it's an etiquette board. If something goes against etiquette, it'll get called out. You may want to lurk a little, get to know to tone of the boards. If you find the forums too harsh, maybe Weddingbee might validate your ideas better.

People here don't sugarcoat, it's an etiquette board. If something goes against etiquette, it'll get called out. You may want to lurk a little, get to know to tone of the boards. If you find the forums too harsh, maybe Weddingbee might validate your ideas better.

I'm totally aware. The reason I posted here is because this is where the majority of the people I'm referring to seem to hang out. I've done a lot of reading over the past couple of days, so I'm commenting on the behaviour I've seen lots, not just on the snarky board, but on all of the boards from snarky people. Just to clarify.
  • I was so excited to finally set up my account on The Knot when I got engaged, and a big part of it was looking forward to having constructive and informative conversations with other brides.  I was shocked when I started reading through some threads that were of interest to me, only to find that posters can't even ask simple questions without seemingly the same group of hostile women pouncing all over them assuming they're doing something wrong.  When someone asks about a decor idea or advice on how to deal with a conflict, all they're asking for is an answer to that specific question, not a loaded bitchy comment about how some other aspect of their planning or thinking process is wrong, rude or tacky.  I, and many others i'm sure, absolutely appreciate a blunt critical answer, but there's a difference between answering a specific question bluntly, and going out of your way to call all the OP's values and intentions into question in order to make them feel clueless and/or put them down.  
    I will not be posting any of my own wedding related questions on this forum, and that's really a shame, because I love The Knot as a website/service, it's just really too bad the forums have been taken over by people who have no desire to actually help others, but are seemingly here just to feed their own egos.  I don't feel that I will receive any useful advice here without also being attacked.  I really just wanted to post this in hopes that someone will read it and re-think their intentions when responding to another poster who probably just wants a simple and direct answer. 

Example:
    Q: Do you think these centrepieces are okay?
    A: No, they're a little large, your guests may not want to have to look over top of a five foot tall flower arrangement to talk to each other.  Maybe think about how you can keep the same concept, but scale them down a bit.  

Rather than:
    Q: Do you think these centrepieces are okay?
    A: Ew! They're so tacky, this isn't a 4th grade birthday party.  Have you thought about how your decor should reflect you and your fiancee as a couple??  This isn't all about you.  If the rest of your decor is as girly and obnoxious as this, your husband, guests, and family will hate you forever.

This is not helpful, constructive or polite.  It is just to make someone feel bad.  Stop.
    I'm curious- can you specify the thread where you saw that happen or something similar? Honestly I'm surprised to hear you say someone was attacked for their own personal taste (like the 4th grade birthday party and too girly comments) because I very rarely see that happen here and I think most of the regs actually discourage those kind of comments.

I DO see a lot of people going off on actual rude behavior- not matters of taste but matters of etiquette. I agree it can be harsh and it definitely behooves one to get to know the tone of the board before posting, lest they take it too personally. TBH sometimes I think it does cross the line into being mean, rather than just blunt... but the vast majority of the time it doesn't. 

Anyway, I've been on here well over a year now and see these kinds of posts every couple of months. They don't change anything ever.

I'm totally aware. The reason I posted here is because this is where the majority of the people I'm referring to seem to hang out. I've done a lot of reading over the past couple of days, so I'm commenting on the behaviour I've seen lots, not just on the snarky board, but on all of the boards from snarky people. Just to clarify.
    Oh good! You are going to call out people without calling out people. Really? Are you trolling for the sake of trolling?
  • Here we go again. Yawn.

A lot of you special snowflakes make it unnecessarily chilly around here. I hate having to wear my mittens to interact with you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

• Just so you are aware, this is not going to go over well on the snarky board. People here don't sugarcoat, it's an etiquette board. If something goes against etiquette, it'll get called out. You may want to lurk a little, get to know to tone of the boards. If you find the forums too harsh, maybe Weddingbee might validate your ideas better.
    Oh good! You are going to call out people without calling out people. Really? Are you trolling for the sake of trolling?
    Isn't it interesting how they never have the balls to name names?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:

Just so you are aware, this is not going to go over well on the snarky board. People here don't sugarcoat, it's an etiquette board. If something goes against etiquette, it'll get called out. You may want to lurk a little, get to know to tone of the boards. If you find the forums too harsh, maybe Weddingbee might validate your ideas better.
    Or perhaps "we're" more polite than you and simply wish to share our thoughts without intending any specific poster feel personally attacked.  If I were to say "[username], [username], and [username] are snobby haters" that would accomplish nothing except to sink to the level of those who call specific people "special snowflakes" and accuse them of having "no balls."  Interesting... 
  • I don't think I've ever seen something say "it will look like a childs birthday party", in fact I HAVE seen posters say " Be careful with that idea, you may want to tone it down. Theres a fine line between a childs birthday party and a wedding". The second is GOOD advice. It puts things in perspective. Its helpful. If thats not want you wanted to hear, oh well. I would rather have someone tell me on a message board of strangers that my idea may not execute well and to rethink and replan, instead of having a terrible service and reception.

• There was a centerpiece discussion where some regs brought up the point that the height may block visibility, but there was nothing about a 4 th grade project. Good grief.
  • There was a centerpiece discussion where some regs brought up the point that the height may block visibility, but there was nothing about a 4 th grade project. Good grief.
    I wasn't referring to a specific post at all, I just made that example up to illustrate my point.  A lot of the posts that really got to me were ones where respondents started diverting from the original question in order to call the OP's core values or intentions out.  I.e. if someone asks a question about centrepieces, they just want an answer about centrepieces, not a commentary about how their wedding is at the wrong time of the year, or how their fiancee is too cheap, or how they're treating their guests like crap.
    I wasn't referring to a specific post at all, I just made that example up to illustrate my point.  A lot of the posts that really got to me were ones where respondents started diverting from the original question in order to call the OP's core values or intentions out.  I.e. if someone asks a question about centrepieces, they just want an answer about centrepieces, not a commentary about how their wedding is at the wrong time of the year, or how their fiancee is too cheap, or how they're treating their guests like crap.
    If a poster reveals that they are planning on doing something that is rude to their guests and treating their guests like crap, including having an outdoor wedding with no reasonable back up plan at the wrong time of the year, then people here are going to point out that those things are not okay to do to your guests and are, in fact, rude.  Not sorry.

• A poster might ask a question about something specific, but anything else he or she says in the post is open for comment and opinions. As Vic said, if a poster reveals that he or she is making plans that will somehow end up treating guests poorly, we are going to call the poster out on it. We are here to help people put on proper weddings, not to help them validate inappropriate plans or bad ideas. 

• AddieCake said:

Just so you are aware, this is not going to go over well on the snarky board. People here don't sugarcoat, it's an etiquette board. If something goes against etiquette, it'll get called out. You may want to lurk a little, get to know to tone of the boards. If you find the forums too harsh, maybe Weddingbee might validate your ideas better.
    Or perhaps "we're" more polite than you and simply wish to share our thoughts without intending any specific poster feel personally attacked.  If I were to say "[username], [username], and [username] are snobby haters" that would accomplish nothing except to sink to the level of those who call specific people "special snowflakes" and accuse them of having "no balls."  Interesting... 
    Passive-aggressive =/= more polite. 

I find it interesting that you seem to think being passive-aggressive is the same thing as being polite.  Or that you think the only two options is to passive-aggressively post vagaries as part of your savior-complex or to say "You're snobby haters".  You could, in fact, attempt to engage in a conversation.  You could try to understand their point of view before making judgments.  You could pose the question to the people whom you find so offensive asking them about their specific responses or politely saying "I find the way you worded that to be harsh.  Isn't there a better way to communicate that message?"

Your passive-aggressive impolite calling out a vague group coupled with the fact that you had to make up examples "to prove your point", which does the exact opposite, isn't speaking too favorably about you, either.  There's a saying about glass houses for a reason.

Lisa, Vic, Addie, and others pretty much covered the rest.
  • I absolutely understand the point of view that most of you think you're "helping people" who are misinformed in regard to the proper way to treat their guests or plan a wedding. If that's what you truly believe you're doing, then I think you're mistaken about who is the one with the "savior-complex." It is never helpful or constructive to use vulgar words, personal attacks, or condescending language to inform someone you don't agree with their ideas. Some of which is even starting to happen in this post even though I purposely haven't gone out of my way to single out a specific post or user. If you want me to point you in a specific direction, take a look at the first page of the Wedding 911 board. It is full of women who are reaching out for help in an exceptionally stressful or upsetting time, and most are met not with help, but with hostility. I don't think this is even necessary though, as the fact that you've all become so defensive reflects that you know exactly what behavior I'm referring to.
    The point of this post was to express my disappointment with the state of The Knot's forums and the population of people here who prefer to belittle and shame people for their choices rather than offering constructive criticism and genuine advice in a helpful way. This behavior is what has deterred me from engaging in conversations about my own wedding on this forum, which frankly, sucks.
    I'm getting bored of this post because it's becoming clear that no one is willing to attempt to "understand [another's] point of view before making judgments." (In the words of Jacques27)
    Or to entertain the idea that, perhaps, YOU are the passive-aggressive ones who are chasing new, valuable members away with your attitudes.

• I absolutely understand the point of view that most of you think you're "helping people" who are misinformed in regard to the proper way to treat their guests or plan a wedding. If that's what you truly believe you're doing, then I think you're mistaken about who is the one with the "savior-complex." It is never helpful or constructive to use vulgar words, personal attacks, or condescending language to inform someone you don't agree with their ideas. Some of which is even starting to happen in this post even though I purposely haven't gone out of my way to single out a specific post or user. If you want me to point you in a specific direction, take a look at the first page of the Wedding 911 board. It is full of women who are reaching out for help in an exceptionally stressful or upsetting time, and most are met not with help, but with hostility. I don't think this is even necessary though, as the fact that you've all become so defensive reflects that you know exactly what behavior I'm referring to.
    The point of this post was to express my disappointment with the state of The Knot's forums and the population of people here who prefer to belittle and shame people for their choices rather than offering constructive criticism and genuine advice in a helpful way. This behavior is what has deterred me from engaging in conversations about my own wedding on this forum, which frankly, sucks.
    I'm getting bored of this post because it's becoming clear that no one is willing to attempt to "understand [another's] point of view before making judgments." (In the words of Jacques27)
    Or to entertain the idea that, perhaps, YOU are the passive-aggressive ones who are chasing new, valuable members away with your attitudes.

Weddingbee is a good site for you.

There are plenty of rude things I've experienced at weddings - couples only inviting some people to the reception, a couple not attempting to greet and thank their guests, having a wedding outside in the summer in Texas with no shade, having a 3 hour unhosted gap between the ceremony & reception. ...

These people were all nice, good people. For some reason, they thought that these ways to celebrate their wedding was a good idea. I know I consisted a few things that are against etiquette. Often times, it takes someone from the outside looking in to see these blunders and guide people before they offend their friends & family. And, yes, I was offended by the things I listed above.

Here's a good rule of thumb: don't ask a question of you don't want to hear a certain answer. Chances are, the answer you're avoiding could be the right one.

Are people here blunt? Sometimes, yes. I've learned that people here say what many others are thinking.

If you don't like the tone of the people here, then that's your choice. Go to weddingbee.
  • Ok so for the sake of argument, I looked through some 911 threads and found this as a tamer example of what I'm talking about:

Lady asks about what to do with a venue that has screwed her by building an ugly structure on the lot she's booked for her outdoor wedding. This is an example of a constructive response:
    [username] said:
    "Okay, so have the reception in the upper lot like you wanted and have the ceremony in the or around the barn. How big is the dance floor? How many people are you inviting? Does terrain prevent you from setting up outside of the barn? Is it impossible because of the spiral aisle?"

This is not a constructive response:
    Box
    [username] said:
    The fiancé set the budget, it is in stone. (He's very frugal and even getting the budget I have was work) Yes, we have the money now, and will not be spending a Penney over the set budget. I am not having random strangers in charge of getting my wedding set up. I don't have any extra money in the budget to pay for things that would be a non issue if they had not changed the venue so drastically.
    Box
    [username] said:
    "This is a huge red flag.

Even if you were working extra hours or making the money, he wouldn't be flexible with the wedding budget? He's not willing to take a dramatic change in circumstances into account and rework it? Is your FI in charge of all the budget decisions in your household?

If he's so inflexible now about a change, how will it be when you're married? Will you always be deferring to his financial decisions?"

Why are they calling the OP's relationship into question??? This has nothing to do with the original post and is just incredibly presumptuous and hurtful. The thread spirals downward fast after this because of course the poor girl starts to get defensive once someone has tried make assumptions and insinuations about her relationship.
    You are not marriage counsellors. You are not psychologists. You are people on the internet who have some insight into planning a wedding. Stop trying to make people feel like crap by diverting for the sake of drama. It's not productive or helpful, or simply blunt. It's mean.
  • Wedding planning is excellent preparation for marriage. You'll deal with budgets, in laws, religion decisions, and many more. Compromise & discussion are paramount.

The question raised is actually a really good one. Finances are a big reason for disagreements in marriage. If he's this controlling now, it could very well be a sign of what's to come.

Honestly, in the big scheme of things, the finances discussion is much more important than the building on the venue.

A lot of us here giving the advice are married. We know that the discussion about wedding details can often be more than what meets the eye. It's also REALLY easy to get so caught up in the excitementof the "perfect day" and lose sight of what's important - the marriage.

So I absolutely agree that in the case you reference, the bigger concern is money management between the couple rather than the venue.

Box?

So the user who responded above is a financial counsellor? Does this person know the couple personally?
    If the answer to either of these questions is no, then the person has no business commenting on her relationship.
    What would have really helped the OP was some advice on how to deal with the venue changing their property, she doesn't need unsolicited relationship advice from people she doesn't know.
    I think some of the previous respondents were absolutely right to question her desire to have a completely outdoor wedding with no shelter in case of bad weather, which she addressed. So, yes, being blunt and bringing up issues related to the original question is absolutely helpful and a good idea.
    I honestly think the attack on her relationship was unwarranted and probably just meant to make her feel worse then she already did after having her venue screw her over.
    This is the type of response that I think really needs to be addressed.
  • Wedding planning is excellent preparation for marriage. You'll deal with budgets, in laws, religion decisions, and many more. Compromise & discussion are paramount.

The question raised is actually a really good one. Finances are a big reason for disagreements in marriage. If he's this controlling now, it could very well be a sign of what's to come.

Honestly, in the big scheme of things, the finances discussion is much more important than the building on the venue.

A lot of us here giving the advice are married. We know that the discussion about wedding details can often be more than what meets the eye. It's also REALLY easy to get so caught up in the excitementof the "perfect day" and lose sight of what's important - the marriage.

So I absolutely agree that in the case you reference, the bigger concern is money management between the couple rather than the venue.

Box?

So the user who responded above is a financial counsellor? Does this person know the couple personally?
    If the answer to either of these questions is no, then the person has no business commenting on her relationship.
    What would have really helped the OP was some advice on how to deal with the venue changing their property, she doesn't need unsolicited relationship advice from people she doesn't know.
    I think some of the previous respondents were absolutely right to question her desire to have a completely outdoor wedding with no shelter in case of bad weather, which she addressed. So, yes, being blunt and bringing up issues related to the original question is absolutely helpful and a good idea.
    I honestly think the attack on her relationship was unwarranted and probably just meant to make her feel worse then she already did after having her venue screw her over.
    This is the type of response that I think really needs to be addressed.

---------
    Very few people here know the others personally. And you don't need to be a financial counselor to know that a situation like that can cause problems down the road. And that was hardly an attack. That was a person stepping back and saying the potential of issues in the marriage regarding finances is a bigger issue than the original one posted.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Ok so for the sake of argument, I looked through some 911 threads and found this as a tamer example of what I'm talking about: Lady asks about what to do with a venue that has screwed her by building an ugly structure on the lot she's booked for her outdoor wedding. This is an example of a constructive response: [username] said: "Okay, so have the reception in the upper lot like you wanted and have the ceremony in the or around the barn. How big is the dance floor? How many people are you inviting? Does terrain prevent you from setting up outside of the barn? Is it impossible because of the spiral aisle?" This is not a constructive response: Box [username] said: The fiancé set the budget, it is in stone. (He's very frugal and even getting the budget I have was work) Yes, we have the money now, and will not be spending a Penney over the set budget. I am not having random strangers in charge of getting my wedding set up. I don't have any extra money in the budget to pay for things that would be a non issue if they had not changed the venue so drastically. Box [JediElizabeth] said: "This is a huge red flag. Even if you were working extra hours or making the money, he wouldn't be flexible with the wedding budget? He's not willing to take a dramatic change in circumstances into account and rework it? Is your FI in charge of all the budget decisions in your household? If he's so inflexible now about a change, how will it be when you're married? Will you always be deferring to his financial decisions?" Why are they calling the OP's relationship into question??? This has nothing to do with the original post and is just incredibly presumptuous and hurtful. The thread spirals downward fast after this because of course the poor girl starts to get defensive once someone has tried make assumptions and insinuations about her relationship. You are not marriage counsellors. You are not psychologists. You are people on the internet who have some insight into planning a wedding. Stop trying to make people feel like crap by diverting for the sake of drama. It's not productive or helpful, or simply blunt. It's mean.
    I was gonna stay out of this one, but since that was me, I guess I'll respond.

(a) You can include names. We'll realize who we are. We're not going to start crying or something if you quote us.

(b) @holyguacamole79 summed it up, but I'd also add that if you bring a topic to a discussion, you should expect other people to comment on it. Personally, I've learned this the hard way, too, when I added bits to my posts that regs pointed out and told me I was wrong...and then I thought about it for a few minutes, and realized that either they were right or that I had added info without context, which meant their comments made sense. 

(c) I'm not sure if anyone's a marriage counselor per sey, but some of us on here do have or are working on advanced degrees in psychological sciences (like me). Some of us have experienced or worked with people who have experienced abuse and domestic violence.

In the quoted case, the fact is, the families and friends of victims often can't raise red flags, because they know the abuser will use that to further isolate the victim - sometimes an anonymous person with no skin in the game is the ONLY one able to say some of these things. I could live with saying that to a woman in a healthy relationship, who misrepresented the power dynamic - she would get pissed, but be no worse for wear in the long run. I couldn't live with myself if she actually WAS in a bad relationship, with unhealthy power dynamics and possibly other issues, because I (and the other women here) may have been the only one who could say something to her without perpetuating a cycle of abuse. 

Which is actually the point of these boards - though for an etiquette standpoint, not an abuse/DV standpoint. There are plenty of things your family and friends will go along with because they love you. The ladies here are saying what they won't, and helping others figure out how to make wedding a truly enjoyable experience for guests - not something they silently endure out of obligation or love. 

Edit: In case it's not common knowledge, power dynamics which include one partner being in charge of all the money is a warning sign for other types of abuse - it allows the abuser to isolate the abused partner, control what they do, who they see, etc. It is one of those things which may or may not come with abuse, but which is definitely a red flag, which is where my comment came from.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards