Snarky Brides
Options

A lot of you are ruining this forum for new brides who just want some genuine advice!

13»

Re: A lot of you are ruining this forum for new brides who just want some genuine advice!

• Options
    Thank you so much for letting us know, OP! I've never read a thread like this one before.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    hellohkb said:
    Thank you so much for letting us know, OP! I've never read a thread like this one before.
    #originality

• Options
    Guess what? TK was exactly the same 10+ years ago. It has not changed. If you want someone to blow sunshine up your ass and validate your bad ideas, then you belong somewhere else. 
    Actually, it was even harsher in the past.  
  • Options
    Guess what? TK was exactly the same 10+ years ago. It has not changed. If you want someone to blow sunshine up your ass and validate your bad ideas, then you belong somewhere else. 
    True. Back in 2002-2004, it was worse. I, along with any other brides in their early 20s, were constantly referred to as baby brides. I was once tore a new one because I had to miss a ceremony, because the ceremony was at 4pm on a Friday 1.5 hours away and I couldn't leave work early. It's much tamer than it was years ago. 
  • Options
    Very much so.

We use to have FFF.  Flame free Fridays.   They were be epic long threads that pretty much called out questionable/offensive/what-the-fuck are they talking about comments users made.   We could link the threads so people easily find the offensive comments.   It was brutal sometimes.      No reg was off the hook.  Pretty much every user got called out at one point or another.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    It is never helpful or constructive to use vulgar words, personal attacks, or condescending language to inform someone you don't agree with their ideas. 
    Damn, too late to tell OP that the United States Supreme Court disagreed with her.  All the way back in 1971.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    Damn, I was too late to this party. Wish I could have told the OP that actually questioning relationship red flags has in fact helped many people in the past. Remember that fool that Doeydo was engaged to and now she's happily with her new girlfriend? Is that not more successful than helping her chose flower arrangements?

• Options
    Um... Welcome to the internet!
  • Options
    MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    Very much so.

We use to have FFF.  Flame free Fridays.   They were be epic long threads that pretty much called out questionable/offensive/what-the-fuck are they talking about comments users made.   We could link the threads so people easily find the offensive comments.   It was brutal sometimes.      No reg was off the hook.  Pretty much every user got called out at one point or another.

I started coming around in 2009 and even then it was much harsher than it is now.  That was before the first big exodus I think, but only just.  

Sometimes I miss FFF and I'm not always a fan of the kinder, gentler Knot.  I remember the Unpopular Opinions threads too, those were always good for debate, discussion and drama.  

ETA:  I also learned the lesson of not lurking before posting and got my ass handed to me but good.

• Options
    Ha, jeez! I don't think I would have lasted on the previous version of TK. I'm somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between full-on deadly merciless snark and fluffy rainbow unicorn farts.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ha, jeez! I don't think I would have lasted on the previous version of TK. I'm somewhere in the middle of the spectrum between full-on deadly merciless snark and fluffy rainbow unicorn farts.
    Yeah, honestly the current level of snarkiness is perfect for me. I've lurked for a long time and definitely prefer the current culture to any past iteration I've witnessed- it's the right balance of helpful/caring and funny/real.

I love UO opinion threads though- I think it's much more fun/informative to be snarky and even combative (in a productive way) when it's directed at established community members participating in chit-chat type threads rather than towards random, stressed-out and misguided souls who wander in here, say something egregious, get their ass handed to them and disappear. I doubt many of them take it to heart and it's not like we get much out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards