Chit Chat

Irrational Annoyances

Re: Irrational Annoyances

• I get irritated with people who have road rage. If someone honks at me for no reason  I get very annoyed.  I want to yell at them to chill out and I seriously  have to hold my breath and count to 10.  So ironic I get uptight  and froggy about people being uptight.   
  • Do I look like a garbage disposal?

I swear that's my job. I'm the office garbage disposal. I should put that in my email signature and see if anyone notices.

Please do and tell us how it goes!

lyndausvi and @kvruns   At the end of the day, I know I probably spend maybe 5 minutes total checking my VM so it shouldn't irritate me as badly as it does, but oh VM is the worst.  I need an app that automatically translates all VM's and texts them to me.  Ooh, that's genius, please tell me it exists!
  • DarthV8r said:
    I get irritated with people who have road rage. If someone honks at me for no reason  I get very annoyed.  I want to yell at them to chill out and I seriously  have to hold my breath and count to 10.  So ironic I get uptight  and froggy about people being uptight.   
    You mean you THINK there's no reason. ;) Just kidding...I'm sure I'm one of those people you hate. I don't honk often...but when I do you probably deserved it in my mind.

My IA is the people driving at or under the speed limit, or the people who slow down really early for red lights. I know we'll all get there at about the same time...I just want to speeeeeeeeeeed.

• labro said:
    DarthV8r said:
    I get irritated with people who have road rage. If someone honks at me for no reason  I get very annoyed.  I want to yell at them to chill out and I seriously  have to hold my breath and count to 10.  So ironic I get uptight  and froggy about people being uptight.   
    You mean you THINK there's no reason. ;) Just kidding...I'm sure I'm one of those people you hate. I don't honk often...but when I do you probably deserved it in my mind.

My IA is the people driving at or under the speed limit, or the people who slow down really early for red lights. I know we'll all get there at about the same time...I just want to speeeeeeeeeeed.
    I live on a main road with a double yellow line. I drive to the traffic light  drive  in the left turning lane to make a legal U turn  everyday.  I always get honked  from people behind me  at the red light .  I do not know why.   I  want to scream "I have a green arrow light  and am  making a legal u turn!!"
  • Another IA I have to go with all of the work bitching in WW is when coworkers leave a voicemail to say "Hi it's Name, call me back."  

I have caller ID.  I know you called.  Protocol is to call you back.  Leave me a message with what you want or don't leave a message at all.
    Related:  email arrives from Joe Blow.  While I am reading it, phone rings.  "Hey, Heffa, it's Joe Blow.  I just sent you an email...."  And then he basically just says everything that was in the email.  Was that really necessary?
  • lyndausvi said:
    kvruns said:
    Another IA I have to go with all of the work bitching in WW is when coworkers leave a voicemail to say "Hi it's Name, call me back."  

I have caller ID.  I know you called.  Protocol is to call you back.  Leave me a message with what you want or don't leave a message at all.

I hate that with any VM (and really I hate all vm) - if you are leaving a message tell me why I should call you back. don't just say 'call me'
    I love the voice mails that go like this

"Hi................ This is Mary.......Brown...... I have a question........on blah..... and blah......... I ... can.. be... reached at.......[insert some phone number that is spoken at record speed it takes 4 re-listenings to get the number.]...... Thanks..... look forward....... in ... speaking.... to.... you."

Really?  90% of the time the phone number is the most important part of the damn message and yet it's often the one people rush through so fast I can't understand what they are saying.
    I went to a seminar once about something else, but one of the tips was that when you leave a voicemail, you always say your name and phone number first. Then you say what you want. Then if the person has to play it again to write down the number, they don't have to listen to you blabber to get to the number. I'm really trying to do this when I have to leave a VM. 

I need to ditto the kitchen cabinets. I had a roommate in college that always left them open. When I'd complain, he'd say that he was going to just remove the doors and leave them open. Instead, I installed child safety locks on them. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I love the voice mails that go like this

"Hi................ This is Mary.......Brown...... I have a question........on blah..... and blah......... I ... can.. be... reached at.......[insert some phone number that is spoken at record speed it takes 4 re-listenings to get the number.]...... Thanks..... look forward....... in ... speaking.... to.... you."

Really?  90% of the time the phone number is the most important part of the damn message and yet it's often the one people rush through so fast I can't understand what they are saying.
    I always repeat my name and phone number twice, and slowly, when leaving voicemail, because I hate having to replay voicemails over and over to get that info down.

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Pedestrians who cross a crosswalk when the hand is red (not blinking - but when it is solid red). It makes me so ragey. I'm in my car and I want to turn and it's my damn turn to turn - get out of the crosswalk! Plus the traffic lights change faster when the crosswalk button has not been pushed since it doesn't need to give people time to cross. So now you crossed illegally and I get stuck at the light.

ETA: To make sense.
  • lyndausvi said:
    My mom will text me to tell me she sent me an email. I know you did, Mom, because like your text the email also went to my phone.
    And also the voicemails that just say "Hey it's mom, call me back."  

I also hate any facebook post that ends with "like=1 prayer, share=10 prayers" or something like that. My grandmother joined fb a few months ago and I swear she likes or shares every one she sees. And those posts with people holding signs saying they want to see how far a photo can spread  The horse is dead, people.
    I went off on a cousin last week for sharing this:

I said something like:

"If you want to share something to make a point you better get your facts straight.  The 2016 nominations have not even been announced.  So let's talk about the 2015.   Sam Smith (white brit) WON Best New Artist, not just nominated but WON.   The 2 white dues WON best video director for a Beyonce video.   3-4 other white people were also nominated.    The BET awards have been around since 2001.  Justin Timberlake as been nominated 8 times (one win).  Eminem 5 times (one win).  Justin Beiber won Best new Artist in 2010.   There are many other white nominations in major categories every year.   So if you are trying to make a point by sharing this you FAILED miserable since you have no idea what you are talking about."

She later deleted the post.

Yes! I have some relatives who are SUPER right-wing and conservative, and while everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, they share a lot of political things that are just factually wrong and occasionally offensive. So frustrating!!
  • Actually, a lot of these annoyances don't sound irrational to me, in fact, I think most of you have the right to be annoyed with the above; hell, I'm annoyed for you! :)

My IA is that FI sets his alarm clock for random times (6:33 am, 7:48 am, etc.) which is weird enough anyway, but when I asked him why, he just said that's the way he's always done it.  So it was even more annoying when I found out there was no specific reason.  
  • Moppet82 said:
    Actually, a lot of these annoyances don't sound irrational to me, in fact, I think most of you have the right to be annoyed with the above; hell, I'm annoyed for you! :)

My IA is that FI sets his alarm clock for random times (6:33 am, 7:48 am, etc.) which is weird enough anyway, but when I asked him why, he just said that's the way he's always done it.  So it was even more annoying when I found out there was no specific reason.  

I don't understand why I have to set the alarm for a time that ends in :00,:15, :30 or :45.

Plus the way you set my alarm you use a button to go up and down.  I sometimes go over or under.  I see no need to have to be exact.  Around the general time is good enough for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I work in a "close" environment- basically, we're on top of each other.  I get irrationally annoyed when Employee # 1 across from me snaps her gum.  Or Employee # 2 talks with her mouth full.  STAHP.  Ugh!
  • We have 2 companies that share an open office space. My company has 2 of us and the other company has 4 people.  I get irrationally annoyed that one of the other company's employees spends at least an hour (or more) every day outside on the phone, on personal calls.  I am appreciative that he takes the calls outside, but that is a big portion of his workday that he spends dealing with personal things and getting paid for it. My desk is closest to the front door and has window to the parking lot, so I get first hand view of every time he leaves and returns and get to see him standing out there on the phone.  He's not part of my company and therefore it's not my problem, but I still get annoyed by it.  FYI, his boss is aware of the issue... they will talk to him about it, he'll cut back on it for a few weeks, then gradually spends more time out there again. 

• CMGragain said:
    People who leave their grocery carts where ever when they are finished loading their car.  The collections racks are only a few steps away.

CONFESSION: Sometimes I have my baby in the car and I don't want to leave her in the car  by herself  to put the cart away. 

It's a  hassle to put her in the car then unload the groceries then put her in the cart again to put it away, and then put her back in the car.  

I always try to get the closest spot to the  collection racks so I can see her as I run to put it away but sometimes I can't. 

• I'm annoyed at myself.

(1) I thought about my tuna stir fry all day today.  Went to make it, I'm out of the teriyaki sauce I normally use.     Had to settle for tuna, rice and veggies with a basil vinaigrette.  It was okay, but not my tuna stir fry.

(2)  I decided to make a chocolate cake.   Turn on the oven to pre-heating, went to grab the eggs.   None.  Not one fucking egg in this house.  I swear I even asked DH the other day if we needed eggs.  

So not my day to cook.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    Moppet82 said:
    Actually, a lot of these annoyances don't sound irrational to me, in fact, I think most of you have the right to be annoyed with the above; hell, I'm annoyed for you! :)

I don't understand why I have to set the alarm for a time that ends in :00,:15, :30 or :45.

Plus the way you set my alarm you use a button to go up and down.  I sometimes go over or under.  I see no need to have to be exact.  Around the general time is good enough for me.

SITB

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This would make me feel itchy. If I woke up at 6.12 I'd be thinking 'well obviously I can't actually get out of bed till its 6.15'. Sheer madness!

• Got another one (apparently I'm easily annoyed):

News outlets that show up-close video of bugs during bug stories. I don't need to see a mosquito or bed bug to know they're bad.  And there went my breakfast. 
  • My car does this thing where it automatically locks about 15 seconds after you unlock it...but it only does it when I need to put something in the trunk and then open a door. Then, other times, I have no need to return to the car, and it's still unlocked unless I've locked it.  It's so random, and it drives me up a wall.  

• DarthV8r said:
    CMGragain said:
    People who leave their grocery carts where ever when they are finished loading their car.  The collections racks are only a few steps away.

CONFESSION: Sometimes I have my baby in the car and I don't want to leave her in the car  by herself  to put the cart away. 

It's a  hassle to put her in the car then unload the groceries then put her in the cart again to put it away, and then put her back in the car.  

I always try to get the closest spot to the  collection racks so I can see her as I run to put it away but sometimes I can't. 
    How long does it take to return the cart if she's buckled in?  I lock the kids in and return the cart.   It's about 20 seconds and no cart is left occupying a space or is ready to play 'Dent A Minivan."  I'm all about safety but where do you shop that this takes so long?
  • labro said:
    DarthV8r said:

I'm one of the people you hate in the morning.  Sorry job#1 is an overnight job and sometimes I'm so tired I need to slow it down. FWIW, I know it's annoying, but less annoying then my crashing and backing up traffic.

My IA job#2 I cut hair,  don't touch me or my client while I'm cutting them. Especially if you are a co-worker...you know where I'm standing...take a step that way and stop bumping me!!!

I'm cranky today. 

• CMGragain said:
    People who leave their grocery carts where ever when they are finished loading their car.  The collections racks are only a few steps away!
    Yes, and also people who leave them in the middle of the aisle while they contemplate which spaghetti sauce is right for their lifestyle. 
    NowIAmSyp said:
    I work in a "close" environment- basically, we're on top of each other.  I get irrationally annoyed when Employee # 1 across from me snaps her gum.  Or Employee # 2 talks with her mouth full.  STAHP.  Ugh!
    This it completely rational, IMHO. 
  • labro said:
    DarthV8r said:

I'm one of the people you hate in the morning.  Sorry job#1 is an overnight job and sometimes I'm so tired I need to slow it down. FWIW, I know it's annoying, but less annoying then my crashing and backing up traffic.

My IA job#2 I cut hair,  don't touch me or my client while I'm cutting them. Especially if you are a co-worker...you know where I'm standing...take a step that way and stop bumping me!!!

I'm cranky today. 
    People do this?!?  That is not irrational, that could seriously mess up the hair cut.
  • lyndausvi said:
    My mom will text me to tell me she sent me an email. I know you did, Mom, because like your text the email also went to my phone.
    And also the voicemails that just say "Hey it's mom, call me back."  

I also hate any facebook post that ends with "like=1 prayer, share=10 prayers" or something like that. My grandmother joined fb a few months ago and I swear she likes or shares every one she sees. And those posts with people holding signs saying they want to see how far a photo can spread  The horse is dead, people.
    I went off on a cousin last week for sharing this:

I said something like:

"If you want to share something to make a point you better get your facts straight.  The 2016 nominations have not even been announced.  So let's talk about the 2015.   Sam Smith (white brit) WON Best New Artist, not just nominated but WON.   The 2 white dues WON best video director for a Beyonce video.   3-4 other white people were also nominated.    The BET awards have been around since 2001.  Justin Timberlake as been nominated 8 times (one win).  Eminem 5 times (one win).  Justin Beiber won Best new Artist in 2010.   There are many other white nominations in major categories every year.   So if you are trying to make a point by sharing this you FAILED miserable since you have no idea what you are talking about."

She later deleted the post.

Yes! I have some relatives who are SUPER right-wing and conservative, and while everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, they share a lot of political things that are just factually wrong and occasionally offensive. So frustrating!!
    Factually wrong and occasionally offensive political memes are not exclusive to conservatives. 
    Oh believe me, I know. That's just who I happen to see it from. Almost daily, from some relatives. They've said/shared/posted a lot of things that fall firmly into the ignorant and/or racist category. (I'm pretty sure a few of them actually think that Obama is a secret Muslim and Trump would make a great president, for example.)
  • @Ghostie625
    I understand :) It is one of my IA, or perhaps justified annoyances, that political memes even exist and people bother to fill up Facebook with them. There was a really funny Onion article regarding "woman decides not to post opinion that would change the face of gun control."  So I wish everyone would just stop. 
    I actually posted on my FB the other day a link to the entire State of the State address for where I live in an attempt to pre-empt my "friends" who trust the newspapers to accurately report what the Governor says. The number of times they're like, "OMG the Governor blah blah blah" when they totally don't have any context for the soundbite drives me absolutely insane. 

I once defriended an acquaintance from college who posted a meme that insinuated that everyone who votes conservative is a racist. I just can't. I read somewhere that there are actually more people who call themselves Independents than either Democrat or Republican now, and it's because the two party system just can't define Americans anymore. (Not that it ever did, but just more people are refusing to identify one way or the other.)

Anywho.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards