Snarky Brides

Worst Bridesmaid Experience

I just got a text from a BM who wanted to know what kind of shoes I wanted the BM's to wear. I told her I wanted everyone to wear whatever they liked and felt comfortable in and they don't need to worry about buying anything new if they already have something they love. She replied with "Thank you!! I have so many shoes from other weddings I've been in!"

It got me thinking about the crazy things that have gone on in wedding parties I've been in and heard about from others. I'd love to hear more,  Tuesdays are slow at my office!

I'll share my worst experience:

I was asked to be a BM by a woman that I knew through an ex boyfriend. When the ex and I split she would text me occasionally and we did meet up a few times for coffee.  She was always very vocal about not having many girl friends and how much she valued our friendship. I was a little caught off guard when she asked me to be her BM in her wedding, but since I knew I was one of her only female friends, I agreed. She asked her Cousin and FSIL as well.

3 weeks before the bridal shower I get a text message from the bride saying "Can you bring cupcakes to the shower? Cousin and FSIL have been doing a lot and said you haven't done anything, they figured out how much everything cost, and your share is $125." I was super shocked because I offered to do so much! I told both Cousin and FSIL that I would do the invites, help with decorations or bring anything they needed and they continually told me "No thanks, we got it." I sucked it up and brought the cupcakes and paid my "share".

When planning the weekend in Las Vegas bachelorette party, they asked what dates worked for everyone, I said all dates were good for me with one exception because my brother was coming to visit from MO. (we are in CA) for the first time in 4 years and my family had planned a bunch of stuff around seeing him and spending time with him the 3 days he'd be here. They had 7 other dates to select from and picked that date. I said sorry, can't make it. They asked if I could still split the brides cost. I said No.

A month before the wedding, Bride texts me, "I want everyone's hair and make up to match. Hair and make up will cost each BM $150. You will also need to do a trial this weekend that will be $50." I was floored. I had just bought a house and couldn't/didn't want to keep shelling out money on being her BM! I had already paid around $350 on dress and shoes. I asked if I could just do my own hair and make up to match everyone.  She didn't reply for a few days and then replied, "You have been so difficult! first my shower then the Vegas trip! You are being so cheap!! You make more than any of us, I didn't think this would be an issue for you! do you even want to be a BM?" I was super mad, so I just replied "Nope, this is just too much." She asked if she could have the BM dress I bought in case she can find a "replacement" in time. I didn't even respond.

She deleted me from FB and I haven't talked to her since. Also, she had asked me to make her wedding cake  and 200 cupcakes to help save money. I've made cakes for other weddings and events but am usually compensated. I didn't make her cake or cupcakes and just figured we were even since I shelled out over $500 on her wedding.

Worst I've ever heard:

I heard a horrible story from a friend that was in a bridal party where one BM was plus size and the BM dresses the bride selected didn't go to her size, so the bride told the BM to buy two dresses and get it altered.

Re: Worst Bridesmaid Experience

• Wow, that is awful.

Overall, I've been very lucky (been a bridesmaid 6 times, all dresses were gorgeous, all brides well-behaved :) ).  But one bride did make me buy matching shoes with the rest of the bridal party- 5" heels.  I'm 5'9"- do the math, lol.  Ugh, those shoes came off under the table in the reception and stayed there forevermore
  • Omg to the maid who was told to buy 2 dresses cheeky bitch!
  • I was in a wedding last year where the bride didn't ask budgets for BM dresses and expected us to buy a $200 dress (that I of course had to get $50 worth of alterations on).  She had 9 BMs but got married in a super tiny chapel, so there wasn't enough room for that many people to actually stand up with her... so all WP except the best man & MOH sat in the rows behind the family during the entire ceremony. 

I spent $250 on a damn BM dress and didn't even get to stand up with my friend as she got married. I've never felt more like a photo prop. 
    --

• A friend got married when we were 19* and she was in nursing school. They had a six month engagement. She planned almost nothing during the semester because school was too stressful so her June wedding didn't start getting planned until May. I was asked, and agreed, to take off 3 days of work (a crappy part-time job so no PTO) to help with the wedding setup. I painted signs, hung fake flowers, tied ribbons around favors and put them on tables, etc.

We not-so-lovingly dubbed her mom "the drill sergeant" because she was so forceful with giving us stuff to do. I was still a teenager so obviously I just went along with everything. It was an awful and stressful 3 days! A horrible experience! And it was over 100 degrees at her outdoor wedding and her reception venue was an old train depot that had NO AIR CONDITIONING. I still have some fond memories of the day because she was one of my best friends (and we still talk) but overall, a terrible experience.

*Sadly, they are one of the statistics, and in the process of getting divorced. Don't get married young, people.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've only been a bridesmaid three times, and fortunately the brides were all awesome, but there were a couple of hiccups:

1. If you get your shoes dyed to match your dress, get the shoes a size bigger. They *will* shrink when dyed. I learned that the hard way when I had to pay for a second set of white pumps that had to be dyed sapphire blue.

2. If the bride tells you that the largest size dress is a size 14 and you're a size 18, appeal to her to see if you can wear a different dress. (It was also backless with spaghetti straps. Not fun to try to find a strapless bra in a C-cup.)
  • I was in a wedding where the bride was so chill but her sister/MOH was horrible! It didn't help that the MOB agreed with and totally backed up the MOH. The term "bridesmaidzilla" was coined by myself and my friends also in the WP. She was like one of those brides who expects BMs to plan every party and help make decorations and address invitations and pay for parties and gifts but doesn't ask for budgets and all of that, but it wasn't even her wedding! The bride tried to tell her to chill but since their mom was backing her up the bride was fighting a losing battle.
    I feel bad for her bridesmaids when she gets married! 
  • @drunkenwitch medieval themed wedding with scepters. Shudder.

What about the bride that planned her own hen do and informed me that as I lived nearest to a tube station we would hold it in my flat and several of her oot friends could stay there. A personal favourite. She also got mad that I didn't have much time to help her (I was buying a house and had my mind on other things!) even though I gave her my flat and helped prep all the food. The same bride was overheard at the hen do of my best friend (which I organised) telling people how her own hen do had been shit and I had done nothing to help but had somehow managed to throw a great party for my BF. Yeah, I try not to speak to that one anymore. Incidently being a BM for my BF was the best! She's a great person all the time though. 

Or the cheaply made bridesmaid dress that was a gross lilac shade of polyester 'raw silk' fabric so that when it was scorching outside all us bridesmaids had dark sweat patches the size of plates.

Or the 'voluntary' weekend (!) spent making all the paper flowers for the venue. Couple invited 10 people for the weekend and asked us all to bring food and booze. I declined to take the day off of work to help set up for the wedding, she was too much.

The 'bad bridesmaid' posts are far and away the worst, most entitled posts of them all. Being a bridesmaid is the worst. I'm trying my best to be like my best friend. 

• What about the bride that planned her own hen do and informed me that as I lived nearest to a tube station we would hold it in my flat and several of her oot friends could stay there. A personal favourite. She also got mad that I didn't have much time to help her (I was buying a house and had my mind on other things!) even though I gave her my flat and helped prep all the food. The same bride was overheard at the hen do of my best friend (which I organised) telling people how her own hen do had been shit and I had done nothing to help but had somehow managed to throw a great party for my BF. Yeah, I try not to speak to that one anymore. Incidently being a BM for my BF was the best! She's a great person all the time though. 

Or the cheaply made bridesmaid dress that was a gross lilac shade of polyester 'raw silk' fabric so that when it was scorching outside all us bridesmaids had dark sweat patches the size of plates.

Or the 'voluntary' weekend (!) spent making all the paper flowers for the venue. Couple invited 10 people for the weekend and asked us all to bring food and booze. I declined to take the day off of work to help set up for the wedding, she was too much.

The 'bad bridesmaid' posts are far and away the worst, most entitled posts of them all. Being a bridesmaid is the worst. I'm trying my best to be like my best friend. 
    Say what??? How utterly presumptuous of her! 
  • Friend asked me to be a BM before she set a date. Asked if Labor Day weekend was ok (I'm OOT) and I said no that's a terrible time as it's the annual convention for the largest association in my profession. Any other weekend would be better. She planned her wedding for Sunday afternoon. She wants to go BM dress shopping the week before my wedding so we schedule the first appointment for right after my fitting (I live OOT and was only in town a week or so before my wedding). She wants the whole "BM dress shopping experience" but her sister (MOH) bails at the last minute and asks if we change the day (after I'm already at the store). my sister and I convince her to just go shopping then. She asks us our opinions on dresses I say the one thing I really don't like is strapless. All she has is try on is strapless. 

We we go to dinner after and she's very upset because we didn't like the color of the dress she wanted. I said I'd wear whatever she picked but if she wanted our input we would tell her. She says that we need to go shopping another time during the week because we didn't find anything. I fit in another time to go dress shopping and it goes as badly as the first. All she wants is strapless dresses that make me feel terrible. She loves them all. She keeps picking $250+ dresses which I tell her are too expensive but she never asked for a budget. She gets upset when I tell her I can't go shopping for a third time with her because she still hasn't had her all the BM together shopping for their dress experience. She then flips out at me, yells at me for being a terrible BM and friend and that I'm not supporting her enough, or excited enough for her wedding. I can't come to her shower and she yells at me for not making the same kind of effort She made for mine. 

Her sister offers to plan a bparty but bails. Me and my sister through something together at the last minute for her and she complains all night about her sisters crappy attitude and doesn't even say thank you. Rehearsal is outside in the middle of the day, there is no shade and no water. We ask If there will be any for the wedding the next day. Nope. She tells us we have to bring food and drinks for "getting ready" at 11am for 4pm wedding. Was upset when we put our foot down and said we weren't paying $200 for hair and makeup. Wedding day was scorching hot, had to stand outside for the wedding then over an hour of pictures in the blazing sun with long heavy dresses with no water, no where to sit down, and no shade. I thought my sister was actually going to pass out. At the end of the night she told my H he had to help put gifts in the car. Worst wedding ever. 
  • @OurWildKingdomyep, tell me about it. Never again!

• Mine was just related to high maintenance about shoes, wanting us to get these sparkly prom shoes for about $90. Put my foot down (and so did my best friend, another BM). Apparently it caused a bunch of drama that I missed because I was on vacation out of the country so no texts, darn :) Finally it was agreed on for some $20 sparkly crap shoes. On the wedding day we had to be at the hair place at like 8am (wedding was at 3 I think?); bride was late so they started on me and best friend. Sat sooo long during the process it was awful; we were starving and finally went and got food for all of us at a nearby deli (located in same strip center, so about a 45 second walk) - 3 of us ate in the restaurant bc bride and MOH were finishing their hair/makeup and we got them togo food. Got in "trouble" from the bride for eating over there despite the fact that we had been done for over an hour, were hungry and she hadn't planned any food options so we didn't have a choice. Not even a thanks for the food was said. After arriving at the ceremony location we sat around another 2 hours while the guys had almost 1 hour of photos and the girls had none. It was such a cluster and we got like 2 pix after the wedding of all the girls and that was it. At the reception the wedding party got unlimited free drinks while everyone else had to use tickets so I of course made sure to get all of H's drinks and our other mutual college friends who were stuck in the side room in the corner and basically missed out on all of the reception activities.  My best friend still harbors resentment toward this bride for the way she acted in all of it.
  • Ugh, all of them. The hideous dresses, hysterical Bridezillas and the MOB having a meltdown over the veil. The groom screaming at everyone,  pictures lasting 2 hours when we haven't been fed all day. A medieval theme wedding that left me sweating under July heat in 2 layers of muslin fabric holding 2 scepters (yes, scepters, mine and the brides). Helping to plan a wedding and spending tons of money only to find out LATER it was a PPD (I missed my favorite once a year event for a fucking PPD).  Or being handed fabric by a bride with just a sketch drawing (yes, just a damn sketch) and was informed I had to sew my BM dress, I DON'T FUCKING SEW!!! The bride demanding her wedding party run out 3 hours before the wedding AND GET HER FLOWERS NOW!!! Then arranging her bouquet, the gm flowers and the corsages while she wants to know WHY AREN'T WE HELPING HER GET READY?

That's the tip of the iceberg. People wonder why I groan when I'm asked to be a bridesmaid. 

ETA, that was a in a nutshell list of all the weddings I have served time in.

I read scepter and thought "light saber" and had to laugh picturing someone holding light sabers at a wedding, although I'm guessing someone has had a Star Wars wedding!
  • I've been pretty lucky to be in weddings with mostly pretty good brides. I loved them all and was honored to be a part of their big day. However, there were a few faux pas committed. I don't fault them too much, because I think they meant well and were probably just following popular SS bridal culture since that's what gets advertised and promoted so much. After coming on TK, though, I realized my discomfort in a few situations was justified:
     (1) Dress price consultation. A few times now, the process of picking the BM dress has been the bride sending a group message to the BMs with a dress she has found and likes, and asks our opinions on it. It's nice that I've been asked and I know the brides meant well.  But it would have been nicer to be consulted about my budget first in private and then have a dress picked, because I felt pressured to say "Sure! $200 is not problem!" when all the other BMs were and the bride already had her hopes on a specific dress. One time a dress needed serious alteration, also (ordered online and the sizing was WAY off) so it ended up being about about a total of $350 when all was said and done. And I will never. wear. it. again. 
    (2) Getting a plus one/ sitting with them at the reception. One of the weddings I was in was really small, and the venue could not hold more than 100 people. The brides mother was insistent on several extra relatives being added last minute, so I was asked if I could not bring a plus 1. I might not have brought FI (who was BF of several years at that point) anyway, but it was still a bit weird not having that option. Another wedding I was at, I didn't bring FI because I knew he would have to sit on his own (and not know anybody else) the whole time while I had to be at a head table. 
    (3) Getting our hair and make-up done professionally at our own expense. It has never necessarily demanded, but the option of doing it ourselves wasn't really made clear, either, except for only one wedding I've been in. If I had known I could do it in the other weddings, I probably would have opted to at least do my own make-up and save some money. 

The worst story I've ever heard of was one where a friend who was a BM was told by her FSIL (the bride) that she had to grow her hair out over the next 12 months, since she wanted all the BMs to have the same updo and my friend's hair was too short for it. Talk about some insanity. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited February 2016
    Oh man, these stories. 

None of my personal experiences are terribly egregious but I have stories from my friends' experiences too. 
    a) In an otherwise great BM experience, we were told to chose our own dresses in a certain color (yay!) and choose our own shoes. Most of us wore long dresses so the shoes didn't matter, but the co-MOHs wore short dresses. The sister MOH wanted silver shoes, so the friend MOH had to get silver shoes too to coordinate. I felt bad for her because she and her husband are on a tight budget and I know for fact she hasn't bought herself any new clothes in a few years now. She got silver shoes from Payless and they absolutely killed her feet. You could tell how much she was hurting during pictures and those came off the second we sat down for dinner. (And, having now seen the pro pics... There are zero pictures where shoes are noticeable at all.)

b) I was a BM for a very sweet bride and a co-BM was a nightmare. We were trying to plan the bride's shower at the park district at the suggestion of the MOB. BM-zilla (who was an obligation BM-invite folks, ok?) kept insisting we host the shower at the nice restaurant she waitressed at because she got a 40% employee discount and "the bride deserves this guys...." Who the fuck was going to pay for that? Only two of us BMs were even gainfully employed; I was in the process of buying a condo and the other was planning and paying for her own wedding. Money was tight for all. So then, the bride called me basically saying that BM-zilla had accused her MOH of sabotaging everything and saying crap that I know she never said. I got the pleasure of telling the bride that BM-zilla was lying about everything. Bride didn't even want the shower at the restaurant and was much happier with her mother's park district plan.

c) BM-zilla eventually got married herself and had previous bride as her BM. She made them wearing matching (hurting) strappy sandals, gave them hand-made jewelry as "gifts" that they had to wear for the event and which itches from the wires used, told my friend as her BM that she was going to host the shower at her house... I attended that shower and helped the BMs set everything up. Bride showed up late, so horrifically hung over she could barely even socialize with the guests, and didn't even thank the host BM or any of her other BMs for their efforts in throwing the shower. Also, this BM and her husband had hosted a brunch holiday party. The BM had to leave her own party early to shop for dresses with the bride. THEN... it gets better... the BMs had to travel to the wedding several days in advance and set everything up. I mean everything. The BMs' husband was ironing tablecloths, for fucks' sake. They all had to stay until the end of the reception to tear everything down. And by the way, I was originally asked to play piano for her ceremony, which I learned later thanks to TK was actually rude of her to ask. I didn't play in the end though. 
    Oh yeah, they're still friends. I am not friends with that woman anymore. 

Edit: Sorry for poor grammar; I was trying to type this very quickly. 

• My worst experience was actually because of the bride's MOH...the bride herself was a total sweetheart and exceptionally considerate, but her MOH was just nasty. Friend got married pretty young, so most of the BMs (myself included) were on a pretty strict budget. MOH was a relative and well into her professional career. When it came time to planning the shower, she never responded to anyone's offers to assist with things, and instead just emailed us a few days prior demanding we each had to chip in $50 for the "BMs gift" and $380 for the shower itself. The shower was held at someone's home, and while it was lovely, there was definitely not +$2k worth of decorations or food. I'm still convinced she just let the rest of the BMs cover the cost without chipping in anything herself...
  • I love my MOH dearly, but she was a nightmare at times! Not so much for me, I was just a bridesmaid and her sister got to be MOH (she and I are good friends, and I told her "better you than me, good luck, put me on speed-dial" when I found out, haha!) and took the majority of the abuse. She planned a destination wedding and threw a screaming fit when her mom and sister said they were unable to fly to the location to help her look at vendors and venues. She then threw another hissy fit when her sister and I were planning her bachelorette, saying we weren't giving people enough notice (we planned 2 months before the party itself and sent out invites to the people she requested), and worrying that it wasn't going to go off well. She had a blast and enjoyed every second, and thanked us for throwing the party afterwards. She then tried to insist that we wear high wedges in the sand for her beach ceremony, which we all shot down and refused to do. Beyond that she was pretty laid back and grateful for the help we contributed, but her sister has since requested that I repay that favor for her now that I'm planning my own wedding! 
  • @ScottishSarah , whenever I read your posts, I have a cute Scottish accent in my head.  ;)

What about the bride that planned her own hen do and informed me that as I lived nearest to a tube station we would hold it in my flat and several of her oot friends could stay there. A personal favourite. She also got mad that I didn't have much time to help her (I was buying a house and had my mind on other things!) even though I gave her my flat and helped prep all the food. The same bride was overheard at the hen do of my best friend (which I organised) telling people how her own hen do had been shit and I had done nothing to help but had somehow managed to throw a great party for my BF. Yeah, I try not to speak to that one anymore. Incidently being a BM for my BF was the best! She's a great person all the time though. 

My response, "Sounds great!  I'll text you the link to my AirBnB listing that you can pass along to them.  A bed or couch is $30/night, but those are limited so they need to hurry and book.  The floor is $20/night, but I will provide pillows and blankets."  (Sorry, I don't have a British pound sign on my keyboard)
    Brilliant!!!!

My response, "Sounds great!  I'll text you the link to my AirBnB listing that you can pass along to them.  A bed or couch is $30/night, but those are limited so they need to hurry and book.  The floor is $20/night, but I will provide pillows and blankets."  (Sorry, I don't have a British pound sign on my keyboard)
    Brilliant!!!!
    This is why I wish I'd found tk a long time ago. I actually believed that bridesmaids had to put up with all this just because it was part of those 'responsibilities'!

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    @glasgowtolondon , it was just as horrible as you imagine, and an extremely long ceremony with me holding the heavy scepters praying my arms would last as they were shaking like leaves in a hurricane all the while starving and sweltering in that god awful ren fair dress. For the record, my BFF has apologized repeatedly for that wedding. She's getting married again in April (the divorce from the first husband was a very good thing ) and this time around all I have to do is show up in whatever I want to wear.

Brilliant!!!!
    This is why I wish I'd found tk a long time ago. I actually believed that bridesmaids had to put up with all this just because it was part of those 'responsibilities'!
    Right? RIGHT? I honestly thought I had to do all that.

• @drunkenwitch we need to start a support group, stat!

You win on the sceptre wedding though. What a story to tell. Since your friend is being cool about what you wear to this wedding, why not reuse the Renaissance fair dress - really get your money's worth?? Nice surprise for her on the day!
    I got rid of that monstrosity over a decade ago, but damn, that would be funny, and her sense of humor is just as twisted and fucked up as mine, she would laugh her ass off.

• kvruns said:
    Ugh, all of them. The hideous dresses, hysterical Bridezillas and the MOB having a meltdown over the veil. The groom screaming at everyone,  pictures lasting 2 hours when we haven't been fed all day. A medieval theme wedding that left me sweating under July heat in 2 layers of muslin fabric holding 2 scepters (yes, scepters, mine and the brides). Helping to plan a wedding and spending tons of money only to find out LATER it was a PPD (I missed my favorite once a year event for a fucking PPD).  Or being handed fabric by a bride with just a sketch drawing (yes, just a damn sketch) and was informed I had to sew my BM dress, I DON'T FUCKING SEW!!! The bride demanding her wedding party run out 3 hours before the wedding AND GET HER FLOWERS NOW!!! Then arranging her bouquet, the gm flowers and the corsages while she wants to know WHY AREN'T WE HELPING HER GET READY?

That's the tip of the iceberg. People wonder why I groan when I'm asked to be a bridesmaid. 

ETA, that was a in a nutshell list of all the weddings I have served time in.

I read scepter and thought "light saber" and had to laugh picturing someone holding light sabers at a wedding, although I'm guessing someone has had a Star Wars wedding!
    Truth: I'm totally thinking of getting lightsabers for ours. Only for FI & me, though, and to be left in their boxes up in the bridal suite for most of the day after pics and maybe coming into the reception. 

Then again, we'll reuse them for cosplay. And we know the difference between photo props and people. 
  • I don't think my story is nearly as bad as some of the one's already posted, but my worst experience was for a wedding that never ended up happening.  I was asked to be a bridesmaid by a girl who was marrying my husband's friend.  I never would have considered myself friends with this girl, since I never spoke with her outside of being with our boyfriends and I didn't even have her phone number, but she asked me in front of a whole group of people, and I didn't know what to do except say yes.  So she picks out a dress without asking us for a budget or anything like that, and it ends up being from a small boutique and is about $200.  Lucky me, because I was plus-sized at the time, for me to get my dress in a size that would fit me based on my measurements taken at the boutique, I would have to pay an extra $50 because of "extra fabric".  These dresses were awful. They were a terrible shade of a color I hate, strapless, and had an asymmetrical hem that went from just below 1 knee to the opposite leg's ankle.  This was NOT a dress you'd want to wear once, let alone again, even if you got it altered.  And it looked TERRIBLE on my plus-sized, short body.

In between us ordering the dresses and the dresses arriving at the store, something really bad happened between the girl and her fiance, and the wedding was called off.  Since the guy was my boyfriend's friend, she cut off contact with everyone and I never spoke to her again.  Like I heard the wedding was called off from another person, not even her.  Because of the really bad thing that happened, my husband and all of his friends stopped speaking to the guy.  We lost contact with all of them, and I was out $250 when I didn't have a job.
  • @wmam35  Ugh that is really awful all around. 

Brilliant!!!!
    Bridesmaid responsibilities, though....

Pretty much sums it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards