Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

combo house warming/engagement party invitations

13»

Re: combo house warming/engagement party invitations

• Options
    scribe95 said:
    OT, but do people house house-warming parties for apartments? Just seems odd.
    I'm late to this, but when FI and I first moved in together we had an Open House/Housewarming Party.  It was fully hosted and we didn't ask for gifts. We just wanted to share the fact that we had found an awesome apartment and were hosting the first of many parties. TBH, it was just a good excuse to have a party.
  • Options
    SP29 said:
    If you can't throw a party in honor of yourselves because it's gauche, then how are housewarming parties etiquette approved? 
    This is an interesting questions. Because the point of the house warming is to see the new home. Thus, it would not be proper for someone else to throw a housewarming for someone else ("so I'm going to throw a party at your house, K?"). The house is the "guest of honour"?
    That's what I'm thinking - it's about the house. I wouldn't consider myself being honored by this sort of a party, except insofar as people care enough about me to be excited for my house.
    I don't think an inanimate object can be the guest of honor.

If DH and I buy a house and then throw a housewarming party, DH and I are still the guests of honor who are celebrating a milestone (buying a house) by throwing a party. . . for ourselves.

When a couple gets engaged, they are the guests of honor celebrating a milestone (engagement).

In both scenarios the couple is AWIng a milestone at a non gift giving party.  So why is it ok to host your own AW MY House party, but not ok to host your own AW My Ring party?

There might not be a logical answer, lol.  This is just something I have never understood with regards to housewarmings.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    SP29 said:
    If you can't throw a party in honor of yourselves because it's gauche, then how are housewarming parties etiquette approved? 
    This is an interesting questions. Because the point of the house warming is to see the new home. Thus, it would not be proper for someone else to throw a housewarming for someone else ("so I'm going to throw a party at your house, K?"). The house is the "guest of honour"?
    That's what I'm thinking - it's about the house. I wouldn't consider myself being honored by this sort of a party, except insofar as people care enough about me to be excited for my house.

If DH and I buy a house and then throw a housewarming party, DH and I are still the guests of honor who are celebrating a milestone (buying a house) by throwing a party. . . for ourselves.

When a couple gets engaged, they are the guests of honor celebrating a milestone (engagement).

In both scenarios the couple is AWIng a milestone at a non gift giving party.  So why is it ok to host your own AW MY House party, but not ok to host your own AW My Ring party?

There might not be a logical answer, lol.  This is just something I have never understood with regards to housewarmings.
    In that case, obviously there are plenty of parties with no guest of honor. I see what you mean about it being possible to consider the hosts as guests of honor, but that's whether you see it as celebrating the event of buying a house or not.

I'm of the mindset that it's just the inaugural party in a party space, whereas engagement parties aren't generally considered the first party that a couple is hosting together ever. If that were the case I might be okay with it. Instead, it's celebrating their life event.
  • Options
    SP29 said:

In that case, obviously there are plenty of parties with no guest of honor. I see what you mean about it being possible to consider the hosts as guests of honor, but that's whether you see it as celebrating the event of buying a house or not.  How else could one see it, though?  A housewarming is a celebration of the event of a couple or a person buying a house.  You aren't celebrating with the house or even really celebrating the house itself.  Unless the house was just built by the owners, the house has been in existence for decades, sometimes 10s of decades, with multiple owners.  So I'm not going to the party to celebrate the existence of the house, I'm going to celebrate the fact that it is now owned by my friends.  Thus the party is still for my friends, even though they are hosting it, to celebrate their milestone.   So the owners are both hosts and guests of honor in my mind. 

I'm of the mindset that it's just the inaugural party in a party space, whereas engagement parties aren't generally considered the first party that a couple is hosting together ever. If that were the case I might be okay with it. Instead, it's celebrating their life event. 

I see them both as non gift giving parties to celebrate life events, so I personally wouldn't care if a couple hosted their own e-party.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    SP29 said:

In that case, obviously there are plenty of parties with no guest of honor. I see what you mean about it being possible to consider the hosts as guests of honor, but that's whether you see it as celebrating the event of buying a house or not.  How else could one see it, though?  A housewarming is a celebration of the event of a couple or a person buying a house.  You aren't celebrating with the house or even really celebrating the house itself.  Unless the house was just built by the owners, the house has been in existence for decades, sometimes 10s of decades, with multiple owners.  So I'm not going to the party to celebrate the existence of the house, I'm going to celebrate the fact that it is now owned by my friends.  Thus the party is still for my friends, even though they are hosting it, to celebrate their milestone.   So the owners are both hosts and guests of honor in my mind. 

I see them both as non gift giving parties to celebrate life events, so I personally wouldn't care if a couple hosted their own e-party.

It can be seen as the first party I'm going to in a cool new house, and it's a "housewarming" party because it's the first party anyone is going to in this house since it's gotten new owners/been redecorated/etc. It's being hosted by my friends. Sure, you can't get to that point without my friends having moved to a new place, but that's tangentially related - the party doesn't have to be about celebrating that life event.

Many (most) housewarming parties are about celebrating that life event, or the guests are more excited about the life event than the existence of a new party space (like you), but all that's necessarily implied by a housewarming is that the first party is happening in a particular house.
  • Options
    Wow, you guys really think hosting your own birthday party is rude? I'm so glad my friends don't follow this "ettiquette" rule and continue to invite me to their birthday celebrations. Somehow I think we all manage to prioritize "fun" over "gauche"
  • Options
    Wow, you guys really think hosting your own birthday party is rude? I'm so glad my friends don't follow this "ettiquette" rule and continue to invite me to their birthday celebrations. Somehow I think we all manage to prioritize "fun" over "gauche"
    Don't think you're fully understanding the discussion here.

According to etiquette, it is rude to host a party in one's own honour, essentially "celebrate ME!"- particularly when gifts are involved. Rude to solicit gifts for oneself (which is why you don't host your own wedding or baby shower).

Many posters on here have said they could care less if anyone actually hosts their own birthday/engagement/housewarming party. (I really don't care who hosts a party, as long as I am not being lied to and the party is well hosted).

However, this is an etiquette board and it would be poor form to give advice that goes against etiquette.

I think a lot also has to do with how these parties happen. Thinking about when children have parties, there are usually written invitations handed out with an RSVP date, games are organized and gifts are given to the birthday person. I think most would say this would be inappropriate for an adult to do if they were wanting to host their own party. But, IMO, this is different than telling your friends, "Hey- it's my birthday next week- let's meet up at the bar for drinks/ who wants to go out for dinner Friday/ come over to my place Friday to hang out".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards