Chit Chat

Updates on my FH

Re: Updates on my FH

• You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Oh my goodness - so sorry to hear this!  I can't even imagine what you're going through or feeling.  Just remember, one day (or hour!) at a time.   Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this! You are handling this all so well, it seems! Keep it up! I'm glad to hear he's doing as well as he is right now. Sending you warm wishes for a speedy recovery.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I'm so sorry this happened. You both have amazing attitudes about the situation which is amazing. You are both in my thoughts. 

• I wanted to add my thoughts and prayers.

• How are you & FI today,  @spockforprez ?
  • Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this!  Sending you all the good thoughts...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016

Just saw this now, I am SO sorry about this, my thoughts and prayers and healing vibes go out to him.  I agree with PP's about taking care of yourself too (((hug)))

• I am so sorry that you are going through this but I am glad to hear that he seems to be improving.

I know you don't need one more thing on your plate, but once your fi can communicate you might want to talk to him about hiring a lawyer, especially if the police are saying he wasn't at fault. A personal injury lawyer can help you figure out insurance and what the other drive is responsible for.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the update. Glad you feel you have a place where you can let it all out.

Rough road ahead for sure, and I hope one day you'll both look back on this as tiny blip in your amazing journey together :).
  • Not to try and worry you, or make you think about too much, but don't forget about therapy once he is stable post op- potentially inpatient and outpatient. He may require long term outpatient therapy for the left hand/arm. Hands being as intricate as they are take a long time to heal/ regain function.

Don't sell yourselves short when dealing with insurance.
  • Omg, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Haven't logged on to TK, and I'm now just reading this. You and your FI are in my thoughts. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I'm very sorry that you and your family are going through this. Trauma is horrible. I know that a lot of people will tell you to stay strong, but you can do/think/feel/be any way you want. If you are strong on day and needing every person to hold you up the next, happy about progress and swearing like a sailor in the next moment, you are allowed and it is completely okay. Your world has been turned upside down. I will hope for little bits of progress each and every day for your FI. There has been so much work done on trauma and post trauma care that will hopefully help your FI. If you wanted, most hospitals have the ability to complete a wedding ceremony onsite (even in the hospital room) if you both wanted to keep your date or even get married sooner to make it easier for the transfer of information. You could always have a celebration of the marriage at the one year mark down the road. I'll hold you in my thoughts!
  • I am so sorry!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your FI.
  • I know what you mean about a brain going thousands of miles per hour. I'm a problem solver and a realist and that's where my brain always goes so.....
    If I've read everything correctly, he's lost one leg and the use of one arm remains to be seen. In regards to what you said about seeing his fishing and biking gear and all that... People of all abilities, whether they were born that way or as a result of an accident, still manage to enjoy life to the fullest. Look at the people who do marathons in wheelchairs. I had a sorority sister with bone cancer who walked with, well, it's hard to describe but her leg was off at the hip but they gave her something that allowed her to walk, looked more like a pole than a regular leg. (She had great humor about it- dressed as a pirate with a peg leg for Halloween.) He can re-learn guitar even with limited use of one arm, with some creativity. 
    Surely it'll be a long road of recovery and physical therapy but I bet he'll still be able to do plenty of things he did before. Stay positive! The medical field is incredible. 
    People do overcome a lot of physical disabilities and thrive.  But, attitude is everything.  Yes, there will be tough times and times where it's hard to stay positive.  But, keeping an overall good attitude is critical to thriving and making the best recovery.  I went through a time where I had major back surgery then got a serious infection.  I required 4 back surgeries within a year, spent over 30 days in hospital, and spent a full year with an IV in my arm for antibiotics. Yeah, it sucked, but I don't remember it being particularly all that bad.  I stayed positive and rolled with the punches as they came at me and just made the best of my shitty situation. People kept saying how impressed they were with how well I handled it, but I didn't want to spend all that time depressed and hating life. As far as I was concerned, I didn't have a choice but to keep positive, because the alternative (dwelling in the suckiness of it) would just make me miserable and I didn't want to be miserable about it. It was easier to take it all in stride and joke about it and stay positive.  We get to chose how we react to life's problems, whether they are big or small. It's okay to have breakdowns and cry and scream, but then pick yourself back up and choose to thrive and push through it with a smile on your face. 

• I am very sorry to read this! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your FH. Positive juju is being sent your way!
  • I am so sorry!  You just never imagine that something like this can happen to someone you love.  Life is so, so precious.  I'll keep you all in my prayers.  I'm especially praying that his left arm can be saved.

And please take care of yourself also.  Get as much sleep as you can.  Don't forget to drink lots of water.  Make yourself eat something at mealtimes, even if you aren't that hungry.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really, really hope the other driver has insurance.

I'm really awed by how well you're handling everything.  Hang in there and keep being kind to yourself.  

Also, if it helps, there's some really cool tech being researched for prosthetic limbs.  Even if the options today are limited, this field should continue to improve. 
  • You are on my heart throughout the day.   <3
  • So sorry to hear this. I'll keep you and fi in my prayers.

• I'm so sorry to hear what happened, and FI's and my prayers are with you.  Hoping that he heals quickly.  Please make sure to take time for yourself, and to allow yourself to feel the full gamut of emotions.We're all here for an ear when you need to blow off steam.  Good luck with the benefits through work, and especially good luck with the insurance.
  • I know what you mean about a brain going thousands of miles per hour. I'm a problem solver and a realist and that's where my brain always goes so.....
    If I've read everything correctly, he's lost one leg and the use of one arm remains to be seen. In regards to what you said about seeing his fishing and biking gear and all that... People of all abilities, whether they were born that way or as a result of an accident, still manage to enjoy life to the fullest. Look at the people who do marathons in wheelchairs. I had a sorority sister with bone cancer who walked with, well, it's hard to describe but her leg was off at the hip but they gave her something that allowed her to walk, looked more like a pole than a regular leg. (She had great humor about it- dressed as a pirate with a peg leg for Halloween.) He can re-learn guitar even with limited use of one arm, with some creativity. 
    Surely it'll be a long road of recovery and physical therapy but I bet he'll still be able to do plenty of things he did before. Stay positive! The medical field is incredible. 
    My brother is a former US Marine and knows a lot of guys from his deployments with amputations or paralysis. He knows one guy who lost both legs and an arm, and apparently he is a super busy guy with a great quality of life. I would love for FH to hang out with similar folks who have overcome their injuries. And hell I would like to spend time with them, lol. I also have a friend with a spinal cord injury and have talked with her and she said she is more than happy to give us advice and guidance about being in a chair full-time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm sorry you guys are going through this my thoughts and prayers are with you. 
  • @spockforprez, your updates sound so positive! You and FI both sound like strong, amazing people. Your bullet list of things that made you laugh made me giggle at my desk! I'm glad to hear that you both seem to be doing as well as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards