Chit Chat

Updates on my FH

Re: Updates on my FH

• You may be a mess right now, and that's ok, and 100% expected. But from an outsider perspective, I think you are being incredibly strong and brave. As PP said, you are NOT failing your FI right now, and with your attitude you never will; you are doing everything you can to support him, and I commend you for that. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be, and I have so much respect for you for how you are handling it all.

Take time to cry, scream, stare off into space... Whatever you need to do to get through it. Take one day at a time - I know it is kind of cliche advice, but I have been going through a rough patch this month, and not looking too far ahead has been incredibly helpful for me.

And remember we are here for you when you need to vent. (((HUGS)))
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just want to chime in and say I agree with everyone else- I am in awe of your strength and general badassery in the face of such a terrible situation. Your FH is a lucky guy to have you by his side.
  • Being totally unoriginal, I also wanted to say that you are absolutely allowed to feel the negative stuff - overwhelmed, uninformed (over-informed), angry, uncertain - all of that.  It's not a knock on you or your FI or your relationship. 

I think having those moments means you are processing, you aren't ignoring what the situation might be or making believe the situation is different from reality.  And, it seems to me, you are doing everything right.  You're grieving out (I love this article, BTW), you're listening to both advice and distraction, and you are asking questions and making alternate plans.  I admire your fortitude.

I'd also second (third?) the recommendation to let people know what you need.  If all you need is clean socks and alarm clock, let people know.  When you are ready for the positive stories, tell them.  And the recommendation to talk, yourself, to someone.  If you can't access the hospital social worker because you are "just" the FI, then maybe try your employee assistance program/school mental health center (whichever is more applicable to you), your spiritual leader, or whoever you trust to be an unbiased sounding board.

I hope today is a more good than not day and that things continue to improve for you.
    Anniversary

• definitely have some chats with accident injury lawyers, maybe there will be a way to increase the maximum, especially as she has a history of these types of accidents.
    Wishing you luck on all fronts!
  • spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    natswild said:
    definitely have some chats with accident injury lawyers, maybe there will be a way to increase the maximum, especially as she has a history of these types of accidents.
    Wishing you luck on all fronts!
    I don't have any evidence she has caused this type of accident before, only that in the last nine years she has had chance after chance after chance after chance for a wakeup call to stop and think, "What the fuck am I doing? I could kill someone" and instead chooses to continue her reckless behavior. I'm getting ready for bed so I'll stop there :P 

Just showered. Eating thin mints (that my cousin brought me) in bed, after I already brushed my teeth. Good times.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • God, not only reckless but reckless driving uninsured? Sometimes faith in humanity is hard to maintain. I know I'll definitely be driving extra carefully today. I think you are right not to go into too much detail on your thoughts and opinions on the driver if you yave legal action on the horizon, jic. Glad you and fi are able to communicate again, that must help a lot. Keep posting, it must help to vent a little to ppl with no skin in the game.

• I don't really have anything to add that someone hasn't already said.  Both of you are being incredibly strong, and I do think it's a good idea for you to go to the wedding, to maintain a sense of "normalcy" and surround yourself with additional supportive people.  Yes, it will be hard to go without FI/DH (depending on when you guys get married), but if there's one thing I've learned from depression/anxiety, it's that it's good to get out and see people.  
    It's also important, from what I've learned, to understand your limitations as DH's partner.  With my depression, DH and I constantly worry that we are failing each other because we aren't able to "fix" or "heal" the other person, and my therapist has reminded me that we are PARTNERS, not caretakers (not to say that you won't, in some capacity, be DH's caretaker).  Even if your role at times is that of caretaker, it's important to remember that you alone are not responsible for his well-being, that there are resources in place to help you guys out so you don't take all this on yourself, and that before you can take care of him, you must take care of yourself--making sure you're fed, rested, calm, etc.  It's like that Bible verse about taking the stick out of your own eye before you can get the dirt out of someone else's (I don't remember exactly how it goes), the point being the better you are feeling, the better you'll be able to help him, and if you work yourself to the point of exhaustion you won't be much help to him anyway.  
    Wishing you both the best.
  • "Not really. It's a bummer, but what can you do?" Seriously, you guys are amazing. Glad to hear that things are going well health wise, but sorry that the legal/insurance stuff is so frustrating.
  • Your situation reminds me of how much I hate people complaining that you can be fined for driving without insurance. I had friends on FB talking about how license checks and insurance checks that cops conduct are pointless and "just prove how cops overstep their bounds and waste our tax money." 

Yeah right. If this woman had insurance that hadn't lapsed, maybe you wouldn't have to deal with some of this excess stress (financially). 

You seem to be taking the appropriate steps to figure out what is going to be needed to provide for you and your FH. I'm so glad to hear he has had a good day and you were able to talk to him and have him actually reply. That is such great news. Keep us updated.

• I've been totally MIA this week but I just read through all of your updates and I have to say, you and your FI are both so brave and incredible. Your FI is so lucky to have someone like you - I am sure there are many people on earth who would be like nope, this is not what I signed up for, I'm out, but you are being so strong for him.

As always, you guys are both in my thoughts.
  • Thinking of you and hoping things are going alright. 
  • edited February 2016
    So glad he had a good day, @spockforprez!

ETA -- What a cutie!
  • This is great news Spock.  I'm so happy that he is feeling better and making so much progress.  There will be a brand new normal for all of you to start getting used to but it sounds like he is open to embracing that.  I'm so inspired by the strength in both of you.  

As for you not feeling well, lets remember you've had a wild week and have probably been running on adrenaline.  Maybe your body is just starting to balance out.  Just keep doing your best to take care of yourself and you will be fine.  Thank you for keeping us updated and sharing that photo of FH.  Its nice to put a face to the man we've all been thinking about.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Very happy to hear that your FH is improving!  Take care of yourself, and also, thanks as well for sharing your photo of him, as PP said.  We're all rooting for you both.
  • Bbq is a wonder drug!

Glad you guys have had a good day, I'm sure there will be a lot of ups and downs so make the most of ups when they come. It's great that you are prioritising yourself with sleep and nutrition etc, otherwise it'll be hard to be there fully for him. Stress is a bitch, it'll make you do some crazy ish!

• Yay for good days!  Hoping there is no infection and his next couple surgeries go without a hitch. 

I'm also glad you're taking care of yourself, using myfitnesspal to make sure consuming enough calories is genius too, by the way.  Did you ever learn more about what, if any, resources are available to you?  

I'm glad you're taking care of you, and relishing in the good days.
  • Yay Mr Spock!  I'm so happy to hear things continue to improve.   Thanks for the updates;  I think about y'all. 
  • Y'all are amazing.  I just read your updates, and I'm astounded by both of you and your positivity!  

I will continue to pray for you both, and add the insurance/legal aspect.  It's enough to be dealing with the emotional and medical issues, but the stupid insurance stuff is maddening.  

I still can't imagine how you both must feel, but this is the beginning of a beautiful new future for you both.  A very different future than you had imagined, but still with great potential.

SaveSave
  • How nice to hear such a great update.  Oh, BTW, he is a real cutie!
  • I think about you and your FI a lot and am really glad to hear that he is doing so much better.  If you need to vent, all of us are here for you to do that.

That the other driver drove recklessly, without insurance, means that she should be in jail for a long time.  I don't know much about your financial situation, but even if your insurance doesn't pay you much, I continue to think and pray for you and your FI and hope things will improve for you.

I agree with @kmmssg: he is cute.
  • He's such a cutie! I'm a sucker for longer hair on guys. It's nice to put a face with the person we are thinking about/praying for/ getting updates on. 

I'm glad to hear things are going better. Stress does crazy things to people, so I'm sure some if not all of the things you're feeling are due to stress and exhaustion. Please keep updating us! 

• It's so encouraging to hear that he's improving daily, and I'm glad you're looking after yourself as well.  Keeping you both in my thoughts!
  • I'm glad your FI is doing so well.  I'm also happy to hear how understanding all your wedding vendors have been.  Proof that there are more good people in this world than bad.

Though speaking of the bad, or at least hugely irresponsible, I was dismayed to see the car driver may not have had insurance.  As far as I'm concerned, it is her moral (perhaps legal) obligation to give a chunk of her salary to your FI for the rest of his life.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards