Chit Chat

S/O - "Some guy you met in a bar"

Re: S/O - "Some guy you met in a bar"

• I joke that my parents met in rehab.  

My dad was a former heroin addict who then became a counselor at a rehab facility.  It was a live-in facility.  My mom came by to visit her friend, who was the cook there.  When she got there, my dad was in the kitchen helping the cook by putting hamburger patties in a plastic baggie, and then sealing them up mostly then sucking the air out, sort of like a human foodsaver.  He looked at my mom and said "my mom taught me to do that".  My mom said she knew then he was it, because he spoke so nicely about his mom, and then they were engaged 2 weeks later and married 6 months after that.  Married 25 years til he passed away.  Every time I'm putting together hamburger patties to freeze I think of that story.
    So sweet!
  • My parents grew up in the same town. My mom's dad was my dad's family's mailman. Apparently my dad & his siblings were a rowdy bunch, so my mom heard all about them growing up. She ended up working with his sister and the rest is history.

(Before I knew about the mailman situation, I made a joke about my dad being the mailman's kid. Bad move.)
  • I met DH through a guy I had known since grammar school, but that I was also dating at the time.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Fh and I didn't meet at a bar but he was very drunk. He doesn't even remember meeting me until later. It is a long story of how we started dating. Our first kiss happened at a halloween party when I was 20. He had a pocket full of mini bottle and I thought he was soooo cool. He kissed me in the kitchen and I swooned. We didn't start dating until 5 years later.
  • My mom and dad met at a bar.

My mom was there with her dad thinking that a friend's band was playing. Well they got the date wrong and just decided to have a drink.

My dad stopped by this bar to have a drink on his way home from grocery shopping. He DL was on probation because of too many racing tickets and he could only drive to see my siblings (from his first wife), go to work or the grocery store. My dad saw my mom and thought she was pretty. He started talking to my grandpa thinking that he was her sugar-daddy, then found out he was her actual dad. He asked her to dance and they got married a year later. They were married for 27 years before he passed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another one: Good friends of my parents, we will call them J and K

K saw J when she was 14 and he was 16. K decided then and there that she was going to marry J. J was a good friend of K's brother. K essential stalked J until she was 16. J finally noticed K and they started dating. They got married when K was 17 and J was 19. They have been married for 55 years and I have NEVER seen someone look at someone else the way K looks at J. When they look at each other it is like they are teenagers again and falling in love all over again.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also have to laugh at the 'how did you meet' stuff when people can pinpoint it to the day.   I have no clue about the day I met DH.   We both went to the same school.   We had a class together our 2nd semester but I'm pretty sure we met before then.    Then we became friends and dated other people and only after he moved into the apartment next door to mine and we hung out daily did I think "He's not half bad."   I hit on him when I was drunk (a 10oz martini is bad when you have 3 of them) and then 6 mos later after I made out with his brother we started dating. 
  • While I didn't mean my husband in a bar (we met on OkCupid) but our first date was in a bar. Well, many bars. We met at the train station and headed downtown and started our bar hopping first date. He said the first clue that I was the one for him was when the table next to us ordered fried calamari and he made a joke that they looked like fried buttholes and I laughed. It was the night before Halloween but since it was a Saturday the whole city was in costume and we had a blast people watching in the bars we went to. We got married 5 years to the day after that perfect first date.
  • I love these stories!

A few cute stories here;

My parents met in a bar.

It was my mum's bday - 23rd I believe? - and her brother kept saying "Wanna meet a friend of mine?" and she would respond with "If he's a friend of yours, I don't wanna meet him!"

The night of her bday, friends and her went bowling and then to the bar. Guy walks by and she says "nice ass!" My uncle was like "wanna meet him?" She agreed.
    That's how my parents met and if my dad was still alive, they would be married 30yrs as of May.

Friends of mine - B and M - went to school together. Even at same table for prom but never talked because they had nothing in common.
    Guys went out for a "guys night" and buddy - K - recognized her at the pool hall, said hi. B came over to chit chat, and struck convo with M.
    They just celebrated their 4yr anniversary!

My H and I met in a funny way.
    My friend A and I were going to dinner with mutual friend S, who was talking about her bday and her new bf {ended up being K} and how she was gonna set up another friend with K's buddy.
    She went to get food at the buffet, I said to A "wouldn't it be funny if he liked me instead of her?" {funny = ironic}
    Almost didn't go to the party because one of my friend's was irritating me and I was in a bad mood.
    K, S, and my H were standing outside. He and I chatted, he had just gotten his first tattoo and I had 4 so we had something in common.
    It took a few hours, but he asked me out. We're now married, and our 5yr dating anniversary is later this month!
  • While we're sharing how we met our SO...

DH and I met in Kindergarten (we think we actually went to pre school together and he had the same nanny as my little brother and spent time with him). We started dating our senior year of high school and were great friends up until then.

I always tell people that if I didn't tell him to go to prom with me junior year, we would have never dated. My BF from another school had broken up with me a month before prom. I walked up to DH after school and asked if he was going to prom and he said no. And I was just like, "Well you are now because I need a date." We started dating 5 months later.

• I used to know a couple and, when asked how they met, the guy would always say, "I was tending a bar, and she was being paid to take off her clothes." 

She always protested, and he would say, "What part of that is not true?" And she would have to admit all of it was. 

But then she'd insist he tell the whole story, which is that they were both in a play. He was a bartender and she was a stripper, although she says it was very PG stripping, with her ending in a bustier and underwear and basically covered up as much as a swimsuit would. 
  • edited March 2016
    So my parents met in college because my dad's cousin was dating my mother's best friend. They set my parents up and about two years later they were married. 

Fast forward many years and I ended up going to the same college as my parents and ended up meeting my soon to be husband there.  Apparently this college was ranked as one of the top universities for falling in love, and it definitely worked for me.
  • I met FI in a bar. Although it was a set up by our best friends. 
    My best friend was the bartender and she had started crushing on one of her customers. They made plans to hang out when she wasn't working but she was afraid to do it alone so she brought me along and he brought his best friend (my FI)... Even though they planned to hang out at the bar she worked at!! Anyway,We drank a lot of beer, played a lot of pool, and ended up going back to the customers house to drink more after the bar closed down. FI and I were outside chatting while I smoked like a freight train (I know, gross.... I quit about 4 months later) and he asked if he could kiss me. I let him and as we were leaving around 6am he asked for my phone number. I gave it to him and he said he would probably be calling me in a month or so..... He texted me about 30 minutes later and we've been inseparable since then!! We celebrate 4 years together in June and will be married the day after our 5 year dating anniversary in 2017! :)

Ive heard and seen many relationships not work out when they were set up by their friends who are dating..... But my best friend and his best friend are still together (they also have 3 year old twins) and we are stronger than ever and I am so thankful that it worked out this way for all of us! 

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    DH and I met in high school. He is a year older, but we were both on the cross-country team and in bands together.

We happened to take the same bus route home from school, so one windy day when we were transferring buses, the wind blew my transfer slip out of my hand and into the road. I was prepared to leave it, but DH ran out into the road and got it for me. That sealed the deal for me. Not that anything happened right away- I was much too shy. One of our first conversations was, "Would you like some gum?"..."Sure". End of conversation.
  • Happy wedding day eve @DarthV8r

My parents met at a bar, a country dive I believe. He drove her home and they ended up talking in the car until the sun came up. The next day he sent flowers to my mom's work that said "Thanks for the wonderful night" or something like that, her co-workers read it and gave her hell ;) They have been married for 32 years this Fall.

My Fi and I met at an apartment party in college. He had just broken up with a long term girlfriend and decided to hog an entire bottle of goldschlager to himself (shudder). I walked up and asked if he was going to drink the whole thing, he looked at me and said yes, and I got a bloody nose a few seconds later, went to the bathroom and stayed there for a little while. We didn't see each other again for a few weeks, he remembered me as the girl with the bloody nose and I didn't remember him until he brought up that story about a year into our relationship. We don't share this as our story as to how we met. A month or so after we started a friendship, we shared our first kiss, I broke apart and told him I wasn't ready for anything serious at the time so clearly I was a bad judge of my own relationship. HA.
  • My parents didn't meet at a bar, but they met at a mutual friend's party. I love their story. My mom was the stereotypical  "girl next door", and my dad was the stereotypical "bad boy." My mom loves to tell me how my dad walked into the party with his long black hair, leather jacket and stupid rocker tee shirt (lol) and drunkenly declared he was going to "sit next to the prettiest girl here!" He sat next to my mom, and four months later they were engaged. This June they'll be celebrating their 33rd wedding anniversary. 
  • FI and I knew each other since middle school but never really talked too much. Our senior year he sat behind me in history class and on the first day he started telling me what a good boyfriend he would be. We started dating a month later. He's got moxie. :wink: 
  • We met online, so our story is boring, so we spice it up by admitting it was the free sleezy site, POF haha.

However my sisters story is cute. Her and her H started dating when they were 18. But when they were in middle school and I was in HS, I went to one of their basketball games. This adorable kid in front of me somehow found out she was my sister and told me he was going to marry her someday. 
  • @drunkenwitch  I admire your ability to not quote Shania Twain, because I don't think I could resist!
  • Coming back from our trip in Virginia City, the flight attendants were very entertained by a couple, and spent a long time talking to them.  Apparently they asked that question (they were getting married in Hawaii - not sure if it was that trip or down the road).  They had met in Starbucks.  They were in line, waiting for their drinks, and he stuck up a conversation and asked for her number!  So sweet!

• Chiming in again with my own story. 
    We met on Match, but here's the thing- we lived on the same city street, less than a mile apart. We'd gone to the same big state school and never met. We liked the same running events, generally the same bars... why did it take Match to get us to meet? 
    But, everything happens for a reason! I'd been dating this guy for four months and got dumped out of the blue right before NYE. I was furious. I was DONE. I've been dating since I was 15 years old, where is he!? I went out and got super shit faced, fall-down drunk crying and in the midst of my 2-day hangover signed up for Match. Met DH 10 days later. 
    HE, on the other hand, was sick of not meeting the right woman and had made it his new year's resolution to find The One. He met me 10 days later and wasted a 6 month subscription. 
    Thank God I got dumped. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards