Wedding Reception Forum

Early afternoon ceremony --- reception timing??

2»

Re: Early afternoon ceremony --- reception timing??

• edited March 2016
    So close to a full bingo card!

ETA:  OP, the number 1 thing I learned from these boards is that just because *I* personally may not be offended by an etiquette faux-pas, does not meant others won't be.  It's best to stick by the rules of etiquette and risk offending no one, than saying to hell with it and possibly offend a guest.  After all, these are the people you invited to participate in a monumental moment in your life.  Why wouldn't you want to treat them with the respect that proper etiquette carries?
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Gaps of ANY length are rude. If I have to spend time spinning my wheels or coming up with someone to do during this time, it is rude of the host to put me in that position. If you are immediately opening up the reception venue for cocktails and just allowing time to get from ceremony to reception venue, then this is appropriate. Gaps have developed because people feel like they need a million photos and can't seem to get them all in before the ceremony. What if I don't have a hotel room and can't go anywhere to freshen up ... then I am just having to waste my time getting a coffee I really didn't need or going to a mall dressed to the nines to wander while I wait? Gaps are common, but they are rude.

I hate it when hosts make me find my own people to do during gaps.

Hahahahaha! Whoops ... meant something to do. But gah, really inconsiderate that they don't line up choices for me to take back to my non-existent hotel room. Now THAT is rude!

Extra - My FI just blew wine through his nose when I told him about my whoops. Now I have to help clean up wine. How rude!

Now that is something I'd need to freshen up from. Not a wedding ceremony. 

Hope that wasn't red wine. 
  • I've been to several weddings where there is a gap. It's very common. This may give guests a chance to go back to their hotel room/home to change and freshen up before the reception. Your gap is only two hours. I've been to some that are longer. I wouldn't say it is "rude". enjoy your day! :)
    What do you do during your ceremony that requires freshening up? Do you have treadmill pews where everyone needs to run during the mass? Are you getting married in front of a spin class? 
    This.  When people use this as a reason for having a gap I want to question what they do during a ceremony.  Because I can't really think of a time where I needed to freshen up after sitting still for 30 minutes.

• How active are the Catholic aerobics during your ceremony that guests need to go to their hotel?

And what about those who don't have a hotel?

One wedding I attended with a gap was 50 minutes from my home and the reception was 35 minutes from my home and the gap was 3 hours.   I could have driven to and from my house multiple times but instead I stuck around in the area and went to my own bed that night.   

So while the gap was rude, the "go to the hotel" area wasn't even an option.   Instead DH and I had to kill time in the area in our dressy clothing.   Yes, we figured it out because we're grown up and knew how to plan our time.   But a better plan would have been to host me for the entire time.  

• ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Gaps of ANY length are rude. If I have to spend time spinning my wheels or coming up with someone to do during this time, it is rude of the host to put me in that position. If you are immediately opening up the reception venue for cocktails and just allowing time to get from ceremony to reception venue, then this is appropriate. Gaps have developed because people feel like they need a million photos and can't seem to get them all in before the ceremony. What if I don't have a hotel room and can't go anywhere to freshen up ... then I am just having to waste my time getting a coffee I really didn't need or going to a mall dressed to the nines to wander while I wait? Gaps are common, but they are rude.

I hate it when hosts make me find my own people to do during gaps.

Hahahahaha! Whoops ... meant something to do. But gah, really inconsiderate that they don't line up choices for me to take back to my non-existent hotel room. Now THAT is rude!

Extra - My FI just blew wine through his nose when I told him about my whoops. Now I have to help clean up wine. How rude!

Now that is something I'd need to freshen up from. Not a wedding ceremony. 

Hope that wasn't red wine. 

A beautiful Amarone ... dark red!! At least we have hardwood floors and I specifically used washable paint on the walls thinking that at some point, we would really need to scrub the walls. My present self thanks my past self for such a good idea.
  • I've been to several weddings where there is a gap. It's very common. This may give guests a chance to go back to their hotel room/home to change and freshen up before the reception. Your gap is only two hours. I've been to some that are longer. I wouldn't say it is "rude". enjoy your day! :)
    What do you do during your ceremony that requires freshening up? Do you have treadmill pews where everyone needs to run during the mass? Are you getting married in front of a spin class? 
    This.  When people use this as a reason for having a gap I want to question what they do during a ceremony.  Because I can't really think of a time where I needed to freshen up after sitting still for 30 minutes.
    Whenever I see that bullshit excuse being used to have a gap/encourage gaps I think they're also the kinds of people who will have an outdoor ceremony in August with no climate control. I can't imagine living in a world where I need to go back home after sitting in a chair, maybe standing up a couple of times, to "freshen up". How do these people work? Are they constantly running to the bathroom to "freshen up" because sitting still is too much effort?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards