Not Engaged Yet

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Re: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

• @eilis1228 - Welcome!  Honestly, other than wrangling with a pressure cooker (hard for me, second hand for H), the hardest part is getting the "base" right.  This took a few failed attempts on my part to get right and I didn't "get it" until I watched his mom several times.  The key is that you don't want the onion mixture to get overdry and you have to play with the ingredients a bit (for example, if the onion was originally pretty "juicy" you need to add a little more salt to the salt/tomato step, if the onion was pretty dry originally, add less salt.  Once you master the base you can use that same base for many Indian dishes, including Paneer, with just a few spice swaps.  For example, with Paneer, I'll add 1 bay leaf, 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (hing) spice and 1 tsp cumin seeds to the oil before the onion mixture goes in, follow the same process largely as above with the onion mixture, then tomato/salt, then rough spices, then dry spices and swap the Paneer for chicken instead (and cook the Paneer for considerably less time than chicken obviously).  
  • @labro @speakeasy14 I never wear skirts or dresses because I don't want to wear hose. Much easier to get away with not wearing hose if I'm in slacks. We also can't have visible tattoos, and I'm fairly certain we aren't supposed to wear tank tops (basically shoulders have to be covered). For the most part we are pretty casual here, but there are a few weird things that the CEO nitpicks. @speakeasy14 I agree though, the dress code may be ridiculous, but we agree to adhere to it when we sign the offer letter, so we have to grin and bear it. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @AlPacina That Conan video just cheered me up immensely! I just got done ranting over this fucking horrible thing that the Georgia Legislature just passed and I was SO MAD! I really needed a laugh! You are the best!

Why the State of Georgia is Fucking Stupid

• @AlPacina That video is hilarious!
  • @eilis1228 oh yeah no visible tattoos here too.  There's one girl who makes me angry all the time.  She wears tiny mini skirts (like I've seen shit that no one should see at work!) and has a sleeve up her right leg.  I have a feeling she's someone's kid because I guarantee I'd be fired if I dressed like that. 
  • @eilis1228 - I "second" @labro's suggestion of going to a local Indian store to get your spices, trust me it will be better than Whole Foods.  We bring spices en masse from India when we go but if we ever run out we would buy it at a local "dive" of an Indian store before we went to Whole Foods.  Whole Foods has most of what you would need but the problem is freshness...they don't go through their stock that often when it comes to "exotic" spices like an Indian store would where the spices are used in dishes every day for most Indian folks.
  • @labro WTF Georgia!?!?! Seriously, afraid for the future of the US. 
  • @Swazzle That's the dream right there! I would loooooove to be able to wear jeans and leggings to work all the time. So jealous!

@labro @minskat30 We'll check into a local Indian store! Thanks for the tips!

@speakeasy14 WTF your coworker is ridiculous! One of my ex-coworkers had a sleeve on one of her arms and a tattoo on the top of her foot. She had to wear long sleeves and a bandaid on her foot every day. :( 

• @eilis1228 - It's definitely one of the top perks of my job! A a big reason why I can never leave. I'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe of adult work clothes if I did! 

• labrolabro member
    @Swazzle My office is similar. We have a code technically but nobody really follows it. I wear jeans most days or dresses/capris in the summer and sandals. I try to pair it with a nice top though, I don't see the guys going as casual as shorts and t shirts, mostly jeans and button shirts or polos.

• labrolabro member
    @speakeasy14 It's just sad and disappointing. I can't believe they've spent 2 years on this bill and failed for the last 4 to pass any sort of comprehensive transit legislation. Apparently the right of someone to not be "forced" to attend a gay marriage is supremely more important than the major transit issues that plague the VERY large Atlanta metro area. Transit issues that affect us state-wide. Nope...can't let those gay people force others to attend their weddings.

• @labro I'm wondering if this is the same situation as Arizona and against the Constitution?

@swazzle ugh, I'm jealous! I would so love to be comfy at work, especially after yesterday's hose issue :(

@eilis1228 I'm all for tattoos, but I think because I've seen her vag everything about her disgusts me.
  • Who the hell is forced to attend a wedding?!!? An invite is not a summons!!
  • labrolabro member
    @speakeasy14 It's pretty similar to the bill passed in Indiana last year. I don't know anything about the Arizona bill? I'm sure it will get overturned by the SC though. Our governor has yet to sign it but honestly I don't have high hopes that he won't. It's an election year...not a year for the Republicans to do anything even remotely unpopular with their base.

• speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    @labro just going off memeory, Arizona had passed a bill that businesses could discriminate based on religion.  Pretty sure it was found unconstitutional... now I need to look it up... ok so Arizona was before Indiana but was vetoed.  

@minskat30 we're on belly button watch with my sister.  Emmy hasn't started pushing out yet.

I'm still really confused about this forced attendance thing.... so are you supposed to poll anyone you'd consider inviting to find out their comfort level for your wedding, since an invitation means they are being forced to go?
  • labrolabro member
    @speakeasy14 I think it's supposed to apply to a vendor who would be "forced" to attend the ceremony of something they deeply disagree with due to their religious beliefs...like a baker delivering a cake, or a florist delivering flowers, or a pastor performing the ceremony. I honestly DO NOT get it...JFC.

• @swazzle ugh, I'm jealous! I would so love to be comfy at work, especially after yesterday's hose issue :(

• Swazzle said:

@swazzle ugh, I'm jealous! I would so love to be comfy at work, especially after yesterday's hose issue :(

• God dammit I got so busy at work for the last 3.5 hours.....but what I am taking away from this is basically that we ALL need to crash @jenjen047 's honeymoon and go to Ireland together! LOL

@hummingbird125 You're due 2 days after me, maybe they will be on the same day!!

• Re: work dress code. My office is business casual, but some are VERY casual about it. I always wear dress slacks, closed toe shoes, and either a nice sweater or a tucked in button up shirt. We don't get a jeans day because our Commissioner is a jerk and got rid of that. So Fridays are just like any other day and it sucks. We occasionally will have fundraisers where someone can pay $5 to wear jeans on a Friday, and I nope all over that. My work pants are comfy enough.

Re: That law. In West Virginia there was a bill going through house/senate this session called the "religious freedom" bill which basically was to allow people and businesses to discriminate on the basis of religion. It got an amendment tacked on at the end that it couldn't be used to discriminate and the bill failed. It was all crazy. They act like Christians are being ripped out of their homes and burned at the stake.

• @eilis1228  @speakeasy14  You ladies have such strict dress code!! My office is business casual and we can do jeans on Fridays.
    No yoga pants, leggings are ok if your parts aren't showing.
    If I had to wear hose, I would wear pants all the time too!
  • @GoldenPenguin @Swazzle And now I'm curious on your tattoos ....
    Only 2 visible are Virgo sign on my right forearm and lightning bolt on my foot. If I wear a sheer top you can see the other 3 I have, but barely. My back is more visible
  • @cu97tiger - Glad your lady parts are in tip top shape!!

@speakeasy14 @eilis1228 - I do not own hose. I would never wear hose. My heart breaks for you guys having to endure dress codes. My office has no dress code. I wear leggings 4-5 days a week, usually at least one day I wear them with a sweatshirt and sneakers. Currently I am wearing white Chuck Taylors, legging that come to mid calf, a green wife-beater with a green tshirt over it, and a jean jacket. 

@alpacina - Yea, it's Patrick or Paddy. I suppose it's not as much of an issue when speaking, unless you really enunciate the T sound.....which would be annoying regardless.

@wink0erin - He is from Newry, which is roughly halfway between Belfast and Dublin.

@eilis1228 - The holiday is technically for Evacuation Day...which is supposed to commemorate the British troops being forced out of Boston in 1776. But in reality it's just an excuse for the government and schools to close down on St Paddy's Day. Also jealous of your coworker with dual citizenship. Is he/she from Ireland or did they claim it through parents or grandparents born on the island? I want to get it so badly but you have to live on the island for at least a year I think to claim it  through marriage. I need to ask our lawyer actually if there is any way around that because it would make traveling so much easier.
  • @GoldenPenguin @Swazzle And now I'm curious on your tattoos ....
    Only 2 visible are Virgo sign on my right forearm and lightning bolt on my foot. If I wear a sheer top you can see the other 3 I have, but barely. My back is more visible
    I have both wrists, one behind my ear (visible when I pull my hair back), both feet, one on my inner right bicep (visible in a sleeveless/short sleeve shirt), one on my left shoulder that wraps around to my bicep (again, visible in sleeveless/short sleeves), and one in the middle of my upper back that peeks out in a lot of shirts. The rest are covered (back, ribs.) 

*******************************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards