Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Clashing Families..Help!

I'm a MOB, and hubs and I are hosting what is shaping up to be a lovely wedding/reception for our only daughter and her FI, whom we love like our own son.  So what's the problem with that?

They are very nice people, but live a much simpler, more frugal lifestyle and see things differently.

It seems that the reception we are planning is just too upscale/nice  for the other family.  Nobody has directly asked them for any money, by the way, but FSIL has asked them how, if at all, they would like to help or be involved.  They are willing to contribute, but only if their contribution goes towards things that they approve of.

After touring many venues (in THEIR hometown, not ours, I might add) with the bride, groom and other mother, and comparing prices (all would be within a few hundred dollars bottom line of each other) the bride and groom liked one venue the best because it had the most character.

Now, snide remarks are being made to the groom about that choice and other things as well.  Making my daughter out to be a high maintenance bridezilla (she's not, by the way, she just wants everyone to be happy).

They are willing to host a rehearsal dinner, but unwilling to invite the out of town guests.  Wedding party only.  The groom needs to handle this one, right?

At the moment, my blood is boiling.  WHY is is considered acceptable to criticize and make snide remarks about something being too nice, when if it were the other way around and we were criticizing something they planned as not being good enough we would be considered totally snobbish and rude?

Wedding planning is NOT starting off very well :(      Thoughts or advice, anyone?

Re: Clashing Families..Help!

• Options
    Agreed with @holyguacamole79, the son should really be handling any and all difficult conversations (or at this point just any communication if they're being rude to you).

But it's really okay to not invite the OOT guests, if you feel strongly about hosting those guests (and it's in your budget) maybe consider hosting something at the hotel if they have a bar/restaurant? As you said, it's in their hometown, so maybe they see it that most of the OOT guests are from your family and it's just not in their budget to host those extra guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Agreed with @holyguacamole79, the son should really be handling any and all difficult conversations (or at this point just any communication if they're being rude to you).

But it's really okay to not invite the OOT guests, if you feel strongly about hosting those guests (and it's in your budget) maybe consider hosting something at the hotel if they have a bar/restaurant? As you said, it's in their hometown, so maybe they see it that most of the OOT guests are from your family and it's just not in their budget to host those extra guests.
    This would come off to me as a competing event. Same night as the RD just a different fraction of the guest list? Would she invite some of the groom's family who wasn't invited to the RD but are still OOT guests? Awkward.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We plan on hosting a brunch the morning after the wedding for all family/out of town guests. So there is that.  I just want our guests to feel well hosted and taken care of.
  • Options
    Hosting out of town guests at the rehearsal dinner and/or a next day brunch is nice, but neither is necessary. The only thing necessary is to make sure they are properly hosted during the reception itself. 
  • Options
    I just know that when we've traveled out of town for weddings we have always been invited to attend the dinner.  It only seems right to reciprocate.  But I've already told my daughter that it's up to his family to make those decisions since they are offering to host it and we should accept their decision gracefully.

I just don't see why everything needs to be such a battle.  Why do they need to snark about the nice extras we want to do for the reception when they are not hosting it.
  • Options
    You said your blood is boiling. Is your daughter coming to you because she is truly upset (would be okay if she was) or because she is venting about her new in laws? Or is the groom reporting back to her their concerns?

There are huge differnces between someone telling her directly " Champagne toasts are stupid and you're a bridezilla for wanting it." vs "My Mom says the champagne toast is a little much"

• Options
    edited August 2016
    She is truly upset, hurt, and in tears.  

The gist of the conversation between groom and mom seems to have been that we should scale back the wedding reception because it's not a level of formality their family is comfortable with.  I'm not ok with that, but maybe that's just my southern upbringing.

It's really a matter of these two coming from totally different backgrounds and the bride being upset that the wedding of her dreams (promised years ago by a doting dad <3 ) is in jeopardy because of what seems like reverse snobbery (is that a word, haha?).  It should be noted that the groom was totally on board until the conversation with his mom.
  • Options
    What a mess! I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through this. As someone who has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tastes in everything from my FMIL, I totally understand the clashing. Sounds like your daughter's fiance needs to stand up to his parents!!!
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    I have been a MOB and MOG.  You have several issues with which to contend.

The first is budget.  Is there a reason the future in laws think they are on the hook for the bar tab?    "Nobody has directly asked them for any money, by the way, but FSIL has asked them how, if at all, they would like to help or be involved". 

I married in a suburb of Chicago 38 years ago.  A plated, sit down dinner with open bar was the norm.  My husband's family was from rural Wisconsin.  A simple buffet that may or may not have included beer, seated at long card tables, was the norm.  Both are perfectly fine, albeit quite different.  

As for budget, I think FSIL, when they asked, told his parents what the groom's family traditionally helps with.  Not that they are expected to, or required to, but if they choose to. 

Your wedding example is exactly what we are dealing with.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    That was what THEY said.. IF they were to pay for the bar tab.  Nobody directly asked them to, but FSIL did answer their question when asked what the groom's family traditionally helps with.

As of now, as far as I know, hubs and I are paying for the entire thing, and we are very happy to do so.  
  • Options
    She is truly upset, hurt, and in tears.  The inlaws told the groom that a champagne toast isn't necessary and people can just get a drink from the bar before it closes for dinner hour and toast with that.  Therefore, IF they pay for the bar bill, they won't pay for that. But it was within the context of it all just being over the top.  My words, not theirs (I think).  But it's not really just about a toast.

The gist of the conversation between groom and mom seems to have been that we should dumb down the wedding reception because it's not a level of formality their family is comfortable with.  I'm not ok with that, but maybe that's just my southern upbringing.

It's really a matter of these two coming from totally different backgrounds and the bride being upset that the wedding of her dreams (promised years ago by a doting dad <3 ) is in jeopardy because of what seems like reverse snobbery (is that a word, haha?).  It should be noted that the groom was totally on board until the conversation with his mom.
    I would caution the couple against having the groom's family contribute toward the reception at all. As @southernbelle0915 pointed out, you would then get into the difficult matter of coordinating planning. Next time they bring up what they would & wouldn't cover, the groom should thank them for their offer but assure them the rehearsal is taken care of.

I'm sure you just meant it as an expression, but keep in mind that a less formal reception is not any "dumber" than a formal one! If the reception would truly make the groom's family feel uncomfortable, that wouldn't be my idea of a dream wedding. His parents should not be so rude and you're certainly free to just ignore their remarks, but I think they are coming from a place of discomfort.

Hopefully your FSIL can convince his folks that they do not need to worry about the reception and that your daughter is not a bridezilla, just someone who wants all her guests to have a nice time.
  • Options
    The "being comfortable" thing was mentioned.  I have trouble understanding, however, how anyone could be uncomfortable in a pretty setting, being served good drinks and and a great dinner, surrounded by those you care for and celebrating a wonderful family event.  
  • Options
    The "being comfortable" thing was mentioned.  I have trouble understanding, however, how anyone could be uncomfortable in a pretty setting, being served good drinks and and a great dinner, surrounded by those you care for and celebrating a wonderful family event.  
    Because you are used to this level of service and formality, not everyone is.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that anything would be dumb.  Maybe scaled way back would be a better phrase.  That said, she's just not about a casual reception.  The venue is elegant, and they both chose it.
  • Options
    I'm not used to any particular level of formality.  But I am used to being considerate and appreciative of my hosts' efforts and rising to the occasion when need be. 
  • Options
    Also, one more piece of advice - this is JUST THE BEGINNING of your relationship with your FSIL's parents.      It's one day.   You may be the parents who talk about their daughter's wedding day with tears in their eyes but remember that there's a big picture here.   She's marrying this man and his family will be her family.   Pick and choose battles wisely.

I am no stranger to some IL issues.  My MIL can be.....interesting.   However my ILs and parents are so close that they plan events together without DH and me and our kids.   And I am thrilled that after being married 9 years, it's not just my relationship with my husband that's stronger.

You don't need to be friends with your daughter's ILs, but please do what you can to remember that unless the FMIL is trying to end the engagement, the rest are just details. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    While I do not agree with your in-law's rudeness, I do agree that a champagne toast is unnecessary. I wonder if these were comments between a mother and son that were supposed to be kept private.
    If you were the bride, advice would be to plan the wedding you and your partner can afford and to stop talking to people about wedding details. Obviously, you can not exclude your DD and FSIL but, the criticism, I would shake it off. 

Etf: autocorrect
  • Options
    What does a southern upbringing have to do with being a good hostess? I hear that a lot and I  think, really? Only people in the south know how to host? No one else in the country has any manners? 

Sitb.

I laughed out loud at this. I hear it from my (sourhern) FMIL constantly, and it is all I can do to keep my eyes from rolling out of my head. Also, all about my "non-traditional" wedding b/c it will be in fall and our colors aren't brown, orange, and yellow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards